Hanns the Mandrake - A review - vaginal/anal

Reviews for any and all Bad Dragon toys belong in here!
Rainbow Dasher

Hanns the Mandrake - A review - vaginal/anal

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:16 pm

This is a review I have had written up for several months, but never got around to taking pictures, and so never bothered to post. This post may contain some unnecessary information to most because I originally wrote it for my Tumblr review blog. Still, I'm going to post all of it. Also, there are no photos of the toy, currently. I may never get around to taking them, and ask that folks please not PM me, asking about it. I'll take them when I can if I feel like digging the toy out and doing it. Thanks!

Skip down a bit if you just want to hear about the toy itself.

As always, let’s start with a small introduction of the company. You know, just in case this is the first review you may have stumbled upon:

Since 2008, the fantasy toy company Bad Dragon has been producing high-quality, 100% body-safe, silicone toys that are anything but boring. They are located within the United States and cater to just about any taste. Their toys boast a wide array of shapes, sizes, and textures, any of them sure to take you on the ride of a lifetime, or at the very least, a ride you will never forget.

There are also a decent amount of customization options available, including things like suction cups, and even cum tubes that allow for a fun, sticky, very messy finish.
Some other bits and bobs:

Bad Dragon’s toys are all 100%, body-safe, medical-grade silicone which makes cleaning these boys and girls, a bit of a snap. If properly cared for, these toys can damn well come close to lasting a lifetime. When you first receive your toy, give it a good scrub with antibacterial hand soap in water as hot as you can stand it. You can even give it a good boil, for about five minutes, if concerned about cleanliness. These toys can also go through the dishwasher, but make sure you put them on the top rack. After use, a cleaning of hot water and antibacterial soap is all that is needed. Seriously folks; there is no need for expensive toy cleaners, most of which re just foaming antibacterial soaps, anyway. For a more thorough clean, a trip through the dishwasher, or a ten minute boiling, once a month, is enough to keep them squeaky clean and staying in great shape. Of course, if you’re using these toys on a daily basis, then the whole “YMMV”, applies.

As far as lubricant goes: Water based lube only, folks! Silicone based lube does not lend itself well to silicone toys and could cause irreparable damage to them, including melting bits off your toys. The same goes for pre-lubricated condoms since some prefer to put them on toys before toying, anally: Do not use anything pre-lubricated with silicone based lubricants. Now, if you are uncertain as to whether or not a lube is safe for use with these toys, I highly recommend testing a glob of lube on a sample disc. If you do not have a sample disc, you can always use the underside of your toy’s base. Place a portion of lube on the disc, leave for 24 – 48 hours, and then rinse away. Is there any damage? No? Then your lube is very likely OK to use. Is there discolouration or change in the silicone at all? Yes? Even if there is the smallest bit of change, it probably means our lube is not OK for use with these toys. You can continue to use it at your discretion, but you will probably damage your toys in the long run.

Ordering and shipping:
Ordering for me was a good ol’ 10/10, purely because my toy was a ready-made, and it took me all of 2 minutes to put it in my basket, and then go through the checkout process. Painless.

Shipping was also a 10/10 for me, purely because FedEx has been extremely reliable for me. I always ship FedEx International Priority, which pretty much guarantees my toy is in my hands within three days of being shipped. I live in a very rural location, so being able to get my toy in such a short time frame, is damn good!

For Australians like myself who may live in a rural area of the country, FedEx will pass your parcel off to a courier company, usually Star Track, and you can use your FedEx tracking number on the Star Track website, too! Bonus!

The Toy:
Hann’s was created by a user with the name of Enerugi, who was a winner of a Bad Dragon Lab’s contest, back in 2014, the exotic, flowery design winning by community vote. Like all Bad Dragon Lab winners, Hann’s initially released in a one-size model, but soon blossomed into a slightly smaller size, for those who might have found the one-size model a bit too large for their liking.

However, within the last couple of months, Bad Dragon has undergone some changes, “streamlining” certain products and options, once again leaving poor Hann’s with only one size to choose from, and that size may prove to be a bit too much for the average user to tackle.

He starts out at 7” circumference from the get-go, and then tapers for a couple of inches, only to present you with a 7” around knot that isn’t exactly possible to tie with. Hann’s can support both a suction cup and a cumtube.

My Toy:
I bought my Hann’s in the medium size, which is now the same as the one-size model that was originally offered. My boy is medium firmness with no extra bells and whistles, nabbed from the ready-made section of Bad Dragon’s website. I believe his colour is the “light natural” colour that is offered on his product page.

He stands up quite well on his own, at least in medium firmness, but I think if he had been a soft that heavy bulge up top would make him fall right on over.

Oral Use:
I’m not very interested in oral sex, at least not when it comes to penises. I know that I sometimes can’t help sticking a toy in my mouth if the mood strikes me just so, but it didn’t manage to this time. I don’t know…I just didn’t have the urge to stick him in my mouth though I’m sure others out there, would! Oral (overall) just isn’t my thing.

Vaginal Use:
I give him a 3/10

Let me just start out by saying that I refuse to do glowing reviews on every toy. Some toys just don’t work for some people, and Hann’s is one that doesn’t “do it” for me.

I went through the usual “procedure” when preparing to toy: Warm the toy up in some nice, hot (but not too hot!) water, warm up the lube ever so slightly, get my wand plugged in and ready to go, and then spend a few minutes in fantasy, preparing me for what is to come.

I was in a decent state of arousal when I first tried this toy, and I also allowed myself a warm up beforehand even though I am quite capable of 7” circumference from the get-go. The first time was a bit painful, and I can’t remember liking it, but I was determined to give him a bit of a chance, let my bits rest for a week, and then tried again. Same result. I put him away for about ten months, forgetting where I’d put him and even what the darn thing looked like.

A week or so ago I was bored and looking for a toy to review, since I hadn’t done one in quite some time, and Hann’s came up in suggestion. I decided to try him again since, you know… it’d been almost a year since I had.

The aforementioned procedure was soon in progress, and I found myself awaiting Hann’s to finish his warm soak in the sink, so we could get down and dirty. I warmed up with another toy for a few minutes, first, one without texture, so I could avoid possible irritation before Hann’s use. When my husband lubed Hann’s up, I was already pretty hot and bothered, and I knew I could probably sit right on my medium Flint if I went and dug him out of the toy chest, but when Hann’s pressed against my opening…

Yeah, no; it hurt.

Hann’s was gently teased around down there for a minute or two, and I was using my wand on my clit, relaxing as much as possible before trying again. This time Hann’s “popped” in. It felt like a knot from the very beginning, and something didn’t feel “quite right” about it. As the toy slid in even deeper, I became acutely aware of internal irritation, caused by the texture on his bulbous head.

My response to it was “more lube” because, hey, lube is never a bad idea with textured toys! He was positively dripping in lubricant when we tried again, only to yield the same result. I even tried another position or two, but each one had the same result: The texture on the head was rubbing me raw and was just plain painful.

I was all the way down to the base at one point, and the little nubs on the petals provided zero stimulation. The “knot” doesn’t go in, and you can’t do anything with it. It may press on your entrance, but it doesn’t actually “pop” inside of you. The knot is just, well, kind of there and that’s it. Think of it like a backward knotted toy, I guess!

Anyway, no matter how I tried him, he just didn’t leave me satisfied. I had to finish on a different toy completely. Honestly, I could only think one thing during most of the session: Get it out; it fucking hurts!

Not all bodies like all toys, I suppose!

Anal Use:
My husband gave him a 3/10
There are no plans to ever put something this size, in my rear, but my husband will gladly shove my toys in his butt, for the science of course! His verdict was, well, a bit lacklustre. Other than being a touch annoying to insert, it didn’t do anything for him, not even prostate stim, which is odd, considering most textured toys get him going. Other than a “pop” as the toy goes in, there is nothing else to be said about it. To him, it felt like a whole lot of nothing. The knot was almost impossible to get down on and is impossible to tie with.

Overall
An interesting, unique model, but not one I find particularly enjoyable. The knot is impossible to tie with, and the head is like taking an instant knot, the texture (in medium firm) a bit uncomfortable for my tastes. He didn’t do anything for me, other than make me wish I hadn’t put him in me, to begin with.

Pros
100% body-safe silicone and easy to sterilize.
A unique shape and texture that some may find appealing.

Cons
The one-size offered may be too large for some folks.
The texture may not agree with some peoples’ bodies.
Considered a “luxury toy” and may be too pricey for some.

Curious after this review and think you might want to give him a try, anyway? By all means! Just because he didn’t work for me, doesn’t mean that he can’t make love bloom for someone else. If you like unique toys and textures, definitely give this guy a look!

Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Laz

Re: Hanns the Mandrake - A review - vaginal/anal

Postby Laz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:32 pm

Too bad, because it is a gorgeous design. I'm still tempted to try it in soft, or to try and find a small... Thanks for the review!
Your polyamorous dragon pal! Memory like a leaky sieve! :mystery:
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:36 pm

Laz wrote:Too bad, because it is a gorgeous design. I'm still tempted to try it in soft, or to try and find a small... Thanks for the review!

Thanks! Texture aside, the way the toy is put together just felt "not right" when I was using it. It's like I started with a knot, had a slight respite with a thinner shaft, and then came another knot that is impossible to even get inside much less tie with. The knot is like Kelvins: it sits just inside your opening and to keep it there, you have to hold it.

Sometimes, if a toy doesn't work I'm tempted to try it in soft (like the snow leopard) but with this one, I know immediately that, for me, it wouldn't work. It's still going to feel "not quite right" to me, by way of its design.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Laz

Postby Laz » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:50 pm

Rainbow Dasher wrote:
Laz wrote:Too bad, because it is a gorgeous design. I'm still tempted to try it in soft, or to try and find a small... Thanks for the review!

Thanks! Texture aside, the way the toy is put together just felt "not right" when I was using it. It's like I started with a knot, had a slight respite with a thinner shaft, and then came another knot that is impossible to even get inside much less tie with. The knot is like Kelvins: it sits just inside your opening and to keep it there, you have to hold it.

Sometimes, if a toy doesn't work I'm tempted to try it in soft (like the snow leopard) but with this one, I know immediately that, for me, it wouldn't work. It's still going to feel "not quite right" to me, by way of its design.

The knot does seem like a weird choice on a model that has such a huge bulge. I love my Crackers because of the bulge, but it seems like enough of an attraction on its own. I always felt like it might be a bit long for me to knot vaginally anyhow? It's disappointing because that base is just so, so appealing. I sort of wish they'd give it a proper overhaul but I know thats basically impossible, as a Labs design.
Your polyamorous dragon pal! Memory like a leaky sieve! :mystery:
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:00 pm

Laz wrote:
The knot does seem like a weird choice on a model that has such a huge bulge. I love my Crackers because of the bulge, but it seems like enough of an attraction on its own. I always felt like it might be a bit long for me to knot vaginally anyhow? It's disappointing because that base is just so, so appealing. I sort of wish they'd give it a proper overhaul but I know thats basically impossible, as a Labs design.

It feels like it starts out as a knot from the get-go. Even if you could get to the base, you can't knot it. The knot doesn't actually go in, at least not vaginally. It sits just inside the opening but doesn't actually make it into the canal. There's nothing to feel of it, sadly. It's just...there. I couldn't feel anything of the base even when I tried to grind on it.
ChaosRed

Postby ChaosRed » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:09 pm

Nice review. I thought that it was an interesting toy, but I'm a little hesitant for any of the one size toys. Makes me think that if it doesn't work, there's just no fixing it.
So I've started writing for the internet! Check it out: https://aconversations.wordpress.com/
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:12 pm

ChaosRed wrote:Nice review. I thought that it was an interesting toy, but I'm a little hesitant for any of the one size toys. Makes me think that if it doesn't work, there's just no fixing it.

Pretty much. In some cases, one can try again, in a softer firmness, for example, but that's about all you can do.
Idra

Postby Idra » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:20 pm

I actually like my Hanns (and Kelvin, for that matter), but that said, Rainbow's points aren't wrong at all. It does feel like a knot right away; the "knot" at the base is impossible to tie with; the bottom petal is always painful going in; I can't get down farther than 6.25" on it despite being able to hilt my M/5 Pretzal, which is 6.5". The nubs on the petal base don't do very much for me, partly because I think even though my Hanns' base is in firm, the suction cup makes it flimsy.

That said, it's my go-to toy when I want to feel filled up. Hanns is pretty much my upper limit in size right now, and it feels very nice to me when it's in as far as it can go. I /can/ thrust it, but mostly it's a repeated popping sensation. I think if I could figure out how to ride Hanns it would be even better, but hey.

I realize my take doesn't sound very glowing and it's definitely not a toy I'd recommend to all (or even most) people. But I'm glad I have mine. :shrug:
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Owned: See Profile
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:27 pm

Idra wrote: :words:

If you like it, then you like it. There's no harm in that. I agree that it isn't a toy I would recommend to the majority. However, I love my Kelvins (M - XL), despite the "knot" being the same type as Hanns'.
Niah

Postby Niah » Wed Aug 17, 2016 5:30 am

I've got a small and a onesize (both in 5), and I love my small a lot. The onesize...not as much. The bulb/bulge at the top makes him feel awkward inside, and I can't really reach all the way to the knot near the base. I end up not having nearly as good a time as I do with my small, which feels fantastic in comparison. Definitely go for a small if any show up in adoptions or on the WTS page.
31/Asexual/Genderfluid (biologically female).

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:08 am

The texture of Hanns is appealing to me, but this:
Rainbow Dasher wrote:It's like I started with a knot, had a slight respite with a thinner shaft, and then came another knot

is not.
It looks like that, a double knotted toy (like Apollo), but it's good to know that's what it feels like too so I can confidently skip it.
Thanks!
BorisLover

Postby BorisLover » Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:35 am

Thankyou for posting this honest review !
Hanns was on my list for a while, but unfortunately I wanted the 'small' size and thats now discontinued.

He doesnt look super fun in use though because of the way those petals create ridges.
Also it seems like hes impossible to tie because theres literatly no space behind that knot.

Sorry to hear he didnt work out for you.
Avatar made by Drazard ! ~ Happily Claimed ~ ♡
jessethemarshmallow
Gender: Male | sex-positive asexual/autochorissexual | Demiromantic | Engaged | DFAB

Postby jessethemarshmallow » Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:53 pm

Very helpful review! I always wondered if it would work for me and looks like its another Pretzel. Interesting but not functional. A shame.
My preference is I'll daydream about anything that its species deems to be an adult with human-level intelligence and be able communicate and give consent in an understandable way.

Toys I own:
► Show Spoiler

Return to “Bad Dragon Toys”