The Waterhorse

Want to see all the sexy, sexy artwork we've made for Bad Dragon, or post up your own? Take a look in here!
Runa

The Waterhorse

Postby Runa » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:53 pm

Ladies and Gents, here he is!
Attachments
waterhorse_concept_art.jpg
Ssarith

Re: The Waterhorse

Postby Ssarith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:56 pm

Oh my. That is fantastic!
Kira Swiftpaw

Postby Kira Swiftpaw » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:03 pm

Don't think I'd buy it, but both the toy and the art are amazing.

>^.^<
Fursona: Kira Swiftpaw, white and blue striped tigsune!
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:29 pm

I'd like to see it in action and read some reviews before I pass judgement on this one. Although it does place fairly high on my wishlist just on looks alone. I'd place it right around #2 or #3.
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:40 pm

The Breeder of course. I'm still waiting for my Gryphon so that's off of the list.
Runa

Postby Runa » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:15 pm

Ice Kitten wrote:
Ssarith wrote:The Breeder of course. I'm still waiting for my Gryphon so that's off of the list.

After Runa's video of the Breeder, it looks much more appetizing. ^^

Really? I felt that video was lame! keep an eye out, I'll have a better video soon.
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:19 pm

Runa wrote:
Ice Kitten wrote:
Ssarith wrote:The Breeder of course. I'm still waiting for my Gryphon so that's off of the list.

After Runa's video of the Breeder, it looks much more appetizing. ^^

Really? I felt that video was lame! keep an eye out, I'll have a better video soon.

I liked it, It wasn't the best, but I've seen worse. Plus there just aren't that many Breeder videos out there.
Runa

Postby Runa » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:23 pm

Ssarith wrote:
I liked it, It wasn't the best, but I've seen worse. Plus there just aren't that many Breeder videos out there.

I don't think there's any other than the one I posted.
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:27 pm

Yeah it looks like it is.
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:29 pm

Er... Copyright issues anyone? ^^;
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:36 pm

It's got a few differences from the one used in the movie. And the film was the Water Horse, not Waterhorse.

Also pretty sure that Waterhorse's aka Loch ness monsters, and most mythical creatures are public domain at this point, as long as you dont use the specific name for them that a film maker has. Such as a Puff The Magic Dragon toy.
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:41 pm

Ssarith wrote:It's got a few differences from the one used in the movie. And the film was the Water Horse, not Waterhorse.

Also pretty sure that Waterhorse's aka Loch ness monsters, and most mythical creatures are public domain at this point, as long as you dont use the specific name for them that a film maker has. Such as a Puff The Magic Dragon toy.

I dunno, it really really really feels like this is pushing it, though... I don't think fusing the two words together is enough of a justification that you did not infringe copyrights. And the art design is really close to the original
Kira Swiftpaw

Postby Kira Swiftpaw » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:45 pm

Dimi wrote:I dunno, it really really really feels like this is pushing it, though... I don't think fusing the two words together is enough of a justification that you did not infringe copyrights. And the art design is really close to the original

As long as it's not exactly like whatever it's mimicking, then it's fine. Any difference is a difference, and hence not the same. Legal stuff sucks, no? =P

>^.^<
Runa

Postby Runa » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:46 pm

pretty sure the workshop dragons thought of all the legalese beforehand.
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:52 pm

Well the point being is that they didn't invent the idea of a water horse, or Kelpie as the correct term stands. Many cultures have legends regarding them, and you can't simply copyright an entire species whether it be real or imaginary when it has already existed for hundreds of years. They can only copyright the exact creature the movie portrays, including the name an physical appearance.

BD is not making any claim to be similar to the one in the movie, and under US Copyright laws they've not infringed on the movie at all.

Sec. 106. Exclusive rights in copyrighted works

Subject to sections 107 through 120, the owner of copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:

(1) to reproduce the copyrighted work in copies or phonorecords;

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

(3) to distribute copies or phonorecords of the copyrighted work to the public by sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or lending;

(4) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and motion pictures and other audiovisual works, to perform the copyrighted work publicly;

(5) in the case of literary, musical, dramatic, and choreographic works, pantomimes, and pictorial, graphic, or sculptural works, including the individual images of a motion picture or other audiovisual work, to display the copyrighted work publicly; and

(6) in the case of sound recordings, to perform the copyrighted work publicly by means of a digital audio transmission.

In any event this is not the thread for it, so I'll stop derailing it now. If you like to post a thread in Gen Disc I'd be happy to chat about it more.
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:58 pm

(2) to prepare derivative works based upon the copyrighted work;

I can see the possibility of them getting hung up on the image being a derivative work, because after all, it does look a fair amount like the creature they made.

I don't know, I'm not a legal expert of any kind, but all I know is that if I was some sleazebag movie executive I'd try to go after you guys XD
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:47 pm

So Runa have you had a chance to use it yet? And if so, and you are able to tell us about it, what did you think?
Kira Swiftpaw

Postby Kira Swiftpaw » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:51 pm

Ssarith wrote:So Runa have you had a chance to use it yet? And if so, and you are able to tell us about it, what did you think?

Methinks that would be best left for the review thread.. ;3

>^.^<
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Well I don't see one yet :|
Chop chop!
Runa

Postby Runa » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:24 am

I'm going to let this one sell a bit before I review it. (read: I didn't like it.)

Return to “Bad Dragon Artwork”