Fantasy Toy Banter (Other non-BD Sites)

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
Harra

Re: Fantasy Toy Banter (Other non-BD Sites)

Postby Harra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:01 pm

vixenvega wrote:
Harra wrote:
vixenvega wrote:EXACTLY!
There is also this: http://friskybeast.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=781

Why is this design theft not listed under FB's blacklist entries? AKN gets one for using a color and then CHANGES IT but lifting a user submitted design and giving no credit doesn't matter?
Oh, well, it would if it were BD though wouldn't it?

WOW. That isn't even subtle. I get that if you make two prehistoric elephant-inspired toys, you're going to end up with some similarities. But that's just... wow. Do you think the person who runs the list knows about that? Because they should and amend their Tumblr list accordingly.

(Also, I get that they don't want to link to BD because blacklists and apparently it's cool to hate BD? But it's rather annoying when half of the toys on their list are BD models, and they're unlinked. Which just looks... sloppy when put right next to the linked ones.)

Note: Edited a confusing sentence. >>;;

The person that runs the master list is a FB fangirl.
I'm sure they know about it and I'm equally sure they'd have some excuse for why it's okay.

Ugh. That's unpleasant and I'm sad to hear that they're biased enough to affect the work they're trying to do. I'll keep the Reddit list in mind to link to people from now on. Thank you so much for the list~ <3 *Didn't go down the line clicking on all the unfamiliar shops to check them out. Not at all!* :laugh:

All I really know about them is that I remember once when I asked on this thread about them, they found my FB forum profile that I made once to ask about an order status since that's how FB prefers contact (at least when I ordered), and said something (paraphrased) of "If you have questions, you can ask me yourself."

... I get that they're banned from this forum, and I have the same usernames on both forums, but the whole tracking me down was bloody creepy. That was my one experience and it didn't leave the best impression.
Oh... am I supposed to put something witty here? Alright. Something witty. :stick:

Collection:
► Show Spoiler
Idra

Postby Idra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:08 pm

vixenvega wrote:
Harra wrote:
WOW. That isn't even subtle.

The person that runs the master list is a FB fangirl.
I'm sure they know about it and I'm equally sure they'd have some excuse for why it's okay.

Okay, so after some googling (because this is apparently what my life has become), (spoilers for real life anatomy)
► Show Spoiler

I can see how one person looked at an elephant penis and got to that design, but I can't see how two people independently got to that design just by looking at real-world anatomy. So... Yeah, from where I'm standing it really looks like design theft. Great job, FB.
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Owned: See Profile
sapphire

Postby sapphire » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:49 pm

As much as FB fucks up, I wouldn't think they would stoop so low :/
They were just HOPING nobody would notice. And oops they did. I want to love FB. And there are toys I really like. But they aren't really fit for business. They'd be better off selling on etsy and just put out in-stock toys instead of making customs. Because clearly that is too much for them. :unamused:
Harra

Postby Harra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:19 pm

sapphire wrote:As much as FB fucks up, I wouldn't think they would stoop so low :/
They were just HOPING nobody would notice. And oops they did. I want to love FB. And there are toys I really like. But they aren't really fit for business. They'd be better off selling on etsy and just put out in-stock toys instead of making customs. Because clearly that is too much for them. :unamused:

Yeeeaaah. I want to like FB more than I do.
Their pours are pretty, they can obviously do a lot of different things, and I have one of their Cave Bears in small/soft and it is the most comfortable knot I own. I really want to like FB.

But this is... yikes. I mean, it is possible that the person who designed FB's Woolly Mammoth read the thread years ago and completely forgot about it until they'd finished the design? Sure. But it's astronomically unlikely that two independent artists arrived to such a similar conclusion. (And a "THIS" to what Idra said. There's obviously some inspiration on both from real-world anatomy, but if that was the only inspiration FB had going, they should have arrived at a different finished design.

I don't know how FB is going to pull themselves out of this, because the information thusfar paints them in a poor light.
Oh... am I supposed to put something witty here? Alright. Something witty. :stick:

Collection:
► Show Spoiler
Idra

Postby Idra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:25 pm

Harra wrote:
sapphire wrote:As much as FB fucks up, I wouldn't think they would stoop so low :/

I don't know how FB is going to pull themselves out of this, because the information thusfar paints them in a poor light.

The only reason I didn't buy a Mammoth was that it was too small. It looks like a great design. But if there's a toy that even has these question marks swirling over it I don't want to support that, so now I'm glad I didn't. Sigh.
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Fae Fantase

Postby Fae Fantase » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:27 pm

After all the disappointments today..BD's aurora drop where I missed everything by under 5 minutes not that I had $127 after shipping for another toy anyway/seeing the new dessert model looking just like pours DA put out this year, seeing this about F-B, waking up having a literal panic attack after sleep paralysis, plus waking up sick today I don't even feeling like getting home and opening my package from F-B :sniffing:. That I see checking the tracking number link was delivered today. I'm terrified I'm going to open the packages to find the toys riddled with printer texture. Yet that's always a fear because I've read not all the molds get fully smoothed out for toys in the same models even sizes at F-B. I got lucky once with small Croxic where others had ones covered in strong painful printer texture..so what're the odds I'll get lucky with 2 more toys.
I've sold toys to over 17 different homes.
Harra

Postby Harra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 pm

Idra wrote:The only reason I didn't buy a Mammoth was that it was too small. It looks like a great design. But if there's a toy that even has these question marks swirling over it I don't want to support that, so now I'm glad I didn't. Sigh.

Right? It's beautiful and looks like it would be a delightful ride, but I can't buy one in good conscience now.

(And reading about this kinda makes me want to design a pachyderm-ish shaped toy just to see how far one can go with the "Shared inspiration" bit. Just for 3D model lulz/to prove to myself that they were ripping off the original artist. I figure that if I can make something different, so can they.)

Collection:
► Show Spoiler
Idra

Postby Idra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:34 pm

Harra wrote:(And reading about this kinda makes me want to design a pachyderm-ish shaped toy just to see how far one can go with the "Shared inspiration" bit. Just for 3D model lulz,to prove to myself that they were ripping off the original artist.Figure that if I can make something different, so can they.)

You should do it! I can't 3D model, but I already can think of a couple of ways I could make it different from theirs without even trying xD
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Harra

Postby Harra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Idra wrote:
Harra wrote:(And reading about this kinda makes me want to design a pachyderm-ish shaped toy just to see how far one can go with the "Shared inspiration" bit. Just for 3D model lulz,to prove to myself that they were ripping off the original artist.Figure that if I can make something different, so can they.)

You should do it! I can't 3D model, but I already can think of a couple of ways I could make it different from theirs without even trying xD

Anatomy talk!

► Show Spoiler

Collection:
► Show Spoiler
Drazard

Postby Drazard » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:58 pm

Oh, wow, the person who modelled the Mammoth model as it stands - Video - even commented in the Mammoth design thread offering suggestions as to how the design could change. They've posted an explanation, but this all seems verrrrry sketchy to me. :x

FB, what are you doingggggg. I've always had pretty great experiences with them, but things never seem to be on the up-and-up with them. :<
milk

Postby milk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:00 pm

I really want FB to comment on it. They make mistakes (....a lot of mistakes sometimes LOL) but I don't want to believe they'd be this intentionally shady.
Idra

Postby Idra » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:02 pm

milk wrote:I really want FB to comment on it. They make mistakes (....a lot of mistakes sometimes LOL) but I don't want to believe they'd be this intentionally shady.

They did comment (they being Therapod) in Lilith's thread saying "hey, these designs are both based off an elephant dick, we didn't take your design at all" so... that's the official word, I guess.
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:08 pm

Drazard wrote:Oh, wow, the person who modelled the Mammoth model as it stands - Video - even commented in the Mammoth design thread offering suggestions as to how the design could change. They've posted an explanation, but this all seems verrrrry sketchy to me. :x

FB, what are you doingggggg. I've always had pretty great experiences with them, but things never seem to be on the up-and-up with them. :<

I saw that too :eyeroll:
milk

Postby milk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Idra wrote:
milk wrote:I really want FB to comment on it. They make mistakes (....a lot of mistakes sometimes LOL) but I don't want to believe they'd be this intentionally shady.

They did comment (they being Therapod) in Lilith's thread saying "hey, these designs are both based off an elephant dick, we didn't take your design at all" so... that's the official word, I guess.

Thanks for the link! I finally had a chance to look at both more and what a real elephant looks like though that's not really what I was expecting to do on a Friday afternoon.

I don't think they're that close. Some things are bound to be similar but Video's reasoning for making it textured like that sound legitimate to me. I am glad that they are acknowledging people being upset by it though.
blushingkitten

Postby blushingkitten » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:29 pm

This may be a silly question, but how do I ask EE about some custom ideas I have? Do I just email them?
New Discord server for the discussion of toys with a moderated secondhand section. Silicone Soirée
Knottery

Postby Knottery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:33 pm

blushingkitten wrote:This may be a silly question, but how do I ask EE about some custom ideas I have? Do I just email them?

Yup, just email them!
Sanguine

Postby Sanguine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:00 pm

Knottery wrote:
blushingkitten wrote:This may be a silly question, but how do I ask EE about some custom ideas I have? Do I just email them?

Yup, just email them!

I emailed about a custom a couple days ago and they're super friendly and prompt.
Current toy collection :misc13: :misc11: :misc8:
► Show Spoiler
blushingkitten

Postby blushingkitten » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:04 pm

Sanguine wrote:
Knottery wrote:

Yup, just email them!

I emailed about a custom a couple days ago and they're super friendly and prompt.

I don't know what size I want (wanting to see some comparisons in the other thread), and I have a few ideas in mind but nothing for sure... Would they still be willing to chat, you think?
New Discord server for the discussion of toys with a moderated secondhand section. Silicone Soirée
Knottery

Postby Knottery » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 pm

blushingkitten wrote:
I don't know what size I want (wanting to see some comparisons in the other thread), and I have a few ideas in mind but nothing for sure... Would they still be willing to chat, you think?

Should be fine - I've seen people talk and get quotes like months before actually ordering and I changed my mind on size once at the last minute of custom color talks and they just rolled with it. They're pretty great to work with!
vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Knottery wrote:
blushingkitten wrote:

Should be fine - I've seen people talk and get quotes like months before actually ordering and I changed my mind on size once at the last minute of custom color talks and they just rolled with it. They're pretty great to work with!

I second all of this. I changed my mind like four times on my Scorch and they were 100% awesome about it.

Return to “General Discussion”