Fantasy Toy Banter (Other non-BD Sites)

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
Squirrelmunk

Re: Fantasy Toy Banter (Other non-BD Sites)

Postby Squirrelmunk » Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:32 pm

Villie wrote:
Squirrelmunk wrote:
Raya wrote:
It's something they custom designed. Companies like BD are VERY protective of things that they made, because BD's Opal is their OWN version of Opal that they invented they have the legal right to say no one else can use this exact same color. And it's complex because there is a VERY specific way how BD makes their opal (hence y they cant add or remove a color when u ask) and the way they do it is a secret.

Has BD copyrighted or trademarked their opal colouration? If not, other companies are free to imitate it.

I think most companies would feel rude trying to directly imitate another company's complex coloration, regardless of legality.

Whether it's good etiquette to imitate another company's colourations is a different matter. But it's certainly legal.
I have a blog, which includes a list of fantasy toy makers.
roseypearl

Postby roseypearl » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:33 pm

I'm okay with them not being able to emulate BD'S opal. While I'm not 100% sure if it's legal or not, it does seem kind of like a "blegh" thing for a company to do. I'm just really interested in the Opal lol. But they did say they could use the reference photos of the mocha I showed them, and since I wanted a little more of the colors to show through they said it could be done by- "either increasing the ratio of color pigmented silicone to metallic white pigmented silicone and/or increasing the pigment concentration itself in the colored parts". Not sure which of those would be best (or if both would be best,although I don't want to wipe the silvery white away completely. It's still pretty ), but I do plan on going for it. Just have to save a little bit more. The price of TTC's opal is also 25 dollars, and they said if I didn't like the outcome of the toy that they would cancel it without having me pay the restocking fee.
Akanisen

Postby Akanisen » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:35 pm

roseypearl wrote:I'm okay with them not being able to emulate BD'S opal. While I'm not 100% sure if it's legal or not, it does seem kind of like a "blegh" thing for a company to do. I'm just really interested in the Opal lol. But they did say they could use the reference photos of the mocha I showed them, and since I wanted a little more of the colors to show through they said it could be done by- "either increasing the ratio of color pigmented silicone to metallic white pigmented silicone and/or increasing the pigment concentration itself in the colored parts". Not sure which of those would be best (or if both would be best,although I don't want to wipe the silvery white away completely. It's still pretty ), but I do plan on going for it. Just have to save a little bit more. The price of TTC's opal is also 25 dollars, and they said if I didn't like the outcome of the toy that they would cancel it without having me pay the restocking fee.

Damn, that's some good customer service! Bad Dragon, why don't you act like this anymore? :crying:
ImageImage Image "Ignorance is bliss. But bliss is boring." ~Bill Cipher Image ImageImage
blushingkitten

Postby blushingkitten » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:15 pm

Akanisen wrote:
roseypearl wrote:I'm okay with them not being able to emulate BD'S opal. While I'm not 100% sure if it's legal or not, it does seem kind of like a "blegh" thing for a company to do. I'm just really interested in the Opal lol. But they did say they could use the reference photos of the mocha I showed them, and since I wanted a little more of the colors to show through they said it could be done by- "either increasing the ratio of color pigmented silicone to metallic white pigmented silicone and/or increasing the pigment concentration itself in the colored parts". Not sure which of those would be best (or if both would be best,although I don't want to wipe the silvery white away completely. It's still pretty ), but I do plan on going for it. Just have to save a little bit more. The price of TTC's opal is also 25 dollars, and they said if I didn't like the outcome of the toy that they would cancel it without having me pay the restocking fee.

Damn, that's some good customer service! Bad Dragon, why don't you act like this anymore? :crying:

Seriously, TTC is the best... Their customer service is amazing. So helpful, friendly, go above and beyond!
New Discord server for the discussion of toys with a moderated secondhand section. Silicone Soirée
nevan

Postby nevan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:52 pm

lovelyscales wrote:
nevan wrote:It's been a while since I've posted here - I've added several new toys to the collection (under spoiler tags as the images are large)

I truly looove your Da Knight and XS Polyp :misc2: :excited: ! What was the inspiration for this stunning Knight? If'n you don't mind :smilenox: .

Not at all! I used one of my favourite nebula wallpapers I found on Google a while back:

icm_fullxfull.126457474_s38q9qura00k4ssgocww.jpg

blushingkitten wrote:
Akanisen wrote:

Seriously, TTC is the best... Their customer service is amazing. So helpful, friendly, go above and beyond!

I've had nothing but stellar custom service from TTC - I'm sure your opal toy will look great! It's super cool that they've offered to cancel the restocking fee for you, just in case :D
tanner93

Postby tanner93 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 pm

I'm stuck trying to pick between a mini and small Cortez. Does the ribbing on him make him feel bigger/smaller than a smooth toy of the same girth?
Gamma Velorum

Postby Gamma Velorum » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Thinking I'm gonna choose an EE Scorch instead. The Hotspot toy looks a bit too flat for me and I'm not sure how I'd like all the texture on it. My question then comes down to....colours! :D Also, does anyone who owns a Scorch know if it's top-heavy in soft or if it stays up fine? I'm getting it with a suction cup in any case. :3

Edit: Decided to get colours based on this:
augustine.jpg

Want to get it with a verdant metallic green base and matte grey shaft with a sloppy seconds-esque effect using pearl white. :3
Just gotta wait and see what EE says!
Last edited by Gamma Velorum on Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoofs_N_Horns

Postby Hoofs_N_Horns » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:I'm still waiting on my March Marble order from DA :unamused: I'm honestly kinda over it at this point. I am pretty tempted by TTC's Halloween colors though. If I have the money this month, I might pick up a small Cortez in Moonlight Monster and maybe the squishies too.

She's been posting consistent updates about Marbled March on her Etsy, to make sure everyone knows how long the waits are expected to be. I think some pretty harsh life stuff just came up, and it's pushed everything back a lot, but she's been very clear and open about the changes, and no order is being left out. There's not really anything to be 'over' when any wait times have been announced openly. :smilenox:

Seriously? That's kinda surprising she's still working on MM orders. I mean... I just received my Hallow Nice (yeah I'm going to call it that following her lead <3) Devil's Mustang ordered a month ago. So she's been pouring recent orders, I don't know why a MM order would still be waiting in the queue? Have you tried contacting her, maybe the order was lost or forgotten somehow? :mystery:

---

And on that note. This guy is a real monster but such a pretty pour! And the rooster has my favorite textures of any squishy. Such detailed little feathers
hallownice-devilsmustang1.jpg

I love how there are two pieces of glowing confetti in the rooster hahaha, as if it wasn't to be outshown by the other :widesmile:
hallownice-devilsmustang2.jpg
Penetrables comparison: here
Nixy Neon

Postby Nixy Neon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:00 pm

Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:I'm still waiting on my March Marble order from DA :unamused: I'm honestly kinda over it at this point. I am pretty tempted by TTC's Halloween colors though. If I have the money this month, I might pick up a small Cortez in Moonlight Monster and maybe the squishies too.

She's been posting consistent updates about Marbled March on her Etsy, to make sure everyone knows how long the waits are expected to be. I think some pretty harsh life stuff just came up, and it's pushed everything back a lot, but she's been very clear and open about the changes, and no order is being left out. There's not really anything to be 'over' when any wait times have been announced openly. :smilenox:

Honestly, I can be over it if she's been pouring more recent Halloween ready mades, squishies and such. The last update about Marbled March was the end of August saying the orders were in the single digits. It's almost the middle of October. I'll send a message on Etsy, but honestly it puts a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, especially hearing that more recent orders have been completed.
Roverseer2
Banhammered

Postby Roverseer2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:15 pm

Nixy Neon wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:

Honestly, I can be over it if she's been pouring more recent Halloween ready mades, squishies and such. The last update about Marbled March was the end of August saying the orders were in the single digits. It's almost the middle of October. I'll send a message on Etsy, but honestly it puts a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth, especially hearing that more recent orders have been completed.

Wait, you complained here before even messaging? Bad form, dude. :unamused:
Nixy Neon

Postby Nixy Neon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:22 pm

Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:

I mean it's more of a bad form to prioritize ready-mades over custom orders, but what do I know? I have a right to be frustrated about this and being patronizing to me is the furthest thing from useful.
Roverseer2
Banhammered

Postby Roverseer2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:29 pm

Nixy Neon wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:

I mean it's more of a bad form to prioritize ready-mades over custom orders, but what do I know? I have a right to be frustrated about this and being patronizing to me is the furthest thing from useful.

BD drops in-stocks while people are waiting on customs. Depending on what your order is, it's not really that hard to understand someone running a business to use their molds to make money if your item hasn't been coming out right and they want to send you the best possible option?

If it really bothers you, you would have talked to Sheep about it or cancelled your order, not bitched about it here. It just reads like you're trying to make her seem like an awful person for trying to have more than one customer and using her time or materials effectively.

Again, if BD can drop in-stocks while there are customs waiting, and BD's a company that could AFFORD to wait on stock drops to finish customs first, why are you throwing a hissy fit over a one-person store doing the same thing when it's probably to make ends meet, or even buy more materials for your order so you get something you'll love? Feels to me like you just want people to pander to you and make someone else the scapegoat for your inability to communicate. :eyeroll:
Nixy Neon

Postby Nixy Neon » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:

BD drops in-stocks while people are waiting on customs. Depending on what your order is, it's not really that hard to understand someone running a business to use their molds to make money if your item hasn't been coming out right and they want to send you the best possible option?

If it really bothers you, you would have talked to Sheep about it or cancelled your order, not bitched about it here. It just reads like you're trying to make her seem like an awful person for trying to have more than one customer and using her time or materials effectively.

Again, if BD can drop in-stocks while there are customs waiting, and BD's a company that could AFFORD to wait on stock drops to finish customs first, why are you throwing a hissy fit over a one-person store doing the same thing when it's probably to make ends meet, or even buy more materials for your order so you get something you'll love? Feels to me like you just want people to pander to you and make someone else the scapegoat for your inability to communicate. :eyeroll:

When did I ever say that she was awful? Or say anything about her personally? I just said I'm over waiting (ie I don't care anymore). It's a thread for talking about other toy makers and I'm sharing what my experience was. I'm failing to see how voicing a slightly negative experience is having a hissy fit or bitching. It's just that: Sharing my experience. I don't expect anyone to pander to me. Jumping down my throat and putting words in my mouth just makes you seem like a dick.Image
KnotyDes

Postby KnotyDes » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:51 pm

Hoofs_N_Horns wrote: :words:

I think she added metallic to the colors this year because mine isn't metallic at all. it turned out amazing btw. Hope you have fun with it :smile:
My collection
► Show Spoiler
Roverseer2
Banhammered

Postby Roverseer2 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:54 pm

Nixy Neon wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:I mean it's more of a bad form to prioritize ready-mades over custom orders, but what do I know? I have a right to be frustrated about this and being patronizing to me is the furthest thing from useful.

When did I ever say that she was awful? Or say anything about her personally? I just said I'm over waiting (ie I don't care anymore). It's a thread for talking about other toy makers and I'm sharing what my experience was. I'm failing to see how voicing a slightly negative experience is having a hissy fit or bitching. It's just that: Sharing my experience. I don't expect anyone to pander to me. Jumping down my throat and putting words in my mouth just makes you seem like a dick.Image

Is it even an experience if the start and end of it was an Etsy checkout? Jeez, learn to take feedback - or at least give it! :widesmile:
Hoofs_N_Horns

Postby Hoofs_N_Horns » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:59 pm

KnotyDes wrote:
Hoofs_N_Horns wrote: :words:

I think she added metallic to the colors this year because mine isn't metallic at all. it turned out amazing btw. Hope you have fun with it :smile:

I can tell it will be fun! Just the weight of it in my hand and all those lovely bumps. It may be the most textured toy I have
:misc2: :cool:
Penetrables comparison: here
AustinFetish

Postby AustinFetish » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:19 am

Arumaeruma wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:Not to double post about waiting times, but has Blue Ritual been around at all recently? I've been considering getting a custom, but their social media has been silent since August, and I don't really want to get attached to an idea if they've vanished. :misc6:

BlueRitual has been missing in action, which is unfortunate since I remembered hearing some people had outstanding orders.

Damn, I'd like to buy a Malus. I knew I should have bought one right away.
Stretch it .... month by month, year by year.
thesharkwhisperer

Postby thesharkwhisperer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:51 am

Nixy Neon wrote:When did I ever say that she was awful? Or say anything about her personally? I just said I'm over waiting (ie I don't care anymore). It's a thread for talking about other toy makers and I'm sharing what my experience was. I'm failing to see how voicing a slightly negative experience is having a hissy fit or bitching. It's just that: Sharing my experience. I don't expect anyone to pander to me. Jumping down my throat and putting words in my mouth just makes you seem like a dick.Image

That's the problem with DA, you are not allowed to say anything other than how much you love everything about her if you don't want people to jump down your throat. Honestly, I really wouldn't think anymore about something I ordered more than half a year ago either. Pretty sure I would just forget I even ordered something in the first place. It doesn't mean we don't understand the situation or blame the seller. I received something from a Kickstarter I backed last year, I totally forgot about it :laugh:
History nerd - Dino lover - Pokémon - HUBBADUH
Villie

Postby Villie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:14 am

thesharkwhisperer wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:When did I ever say that she was awful? Or say anything about her personally? I just said I'm over waiting (ie I don't care anymore). It's a thread for talking about other toy makers and I'm sharing what my experience was. I'm failing to see how voicing a slightly negative experience is having a hissy fit or bitching. It's just that: Sharing my experience. I don't expect anyone to pander to me. Jumping down my throat and putting words in my mouth just makes you seem like a dick.Image

That's the problem with DA, you are not allowed to say anything other than how much you love everything about her if you don't want people to jump down your throat. Honestly, I really wouldn't think anymore about something I ordered more than half a year ago either. Pretty sure I would just forget I even ordered something in the first place. It doesn't mean we don't understand the situation or blame the seller. I received something from a Kickstarter I backed last year, I totally forgot about it :laugh:

Honestly, I felt Rover's responses were kinda uncalled for.

If someone wants to calmly complain about how they've been waiting almost half a year on an order, especially since more recent orders from a month or less ago are being poured, then I think they're allowed to lol.
Calling it "bitching" is just gonna add in tension.

It's not like they were all "I hate this #%#^^$ing store what a shitty business never buy from them honestly THEY suck" or anything like that

It shouldnt take a shop half a year to "get the right materials to make the perfect order you'll love x3"
It sounds like either bad prioritizing or a forgotten order.

But yeah, one thing I agree with is definitely to actually atleast try and contact the shop about it! Who knows, maybe they did forget and will make up for it somehow hmm
seeking: SBF medium yuri, EA neo
selling: a bunch on DM & DH
PM me! Image
Phelvia

Postby Phelvia » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:24 am

Nixy Neon wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote:
Nixy Neon wrote:I mean it's more of a bad form to prioritize ready-mades over custom orders, but what do I know? I have a right to be frustrated about this and being patronizing to me is the furthest thing from useful.

Seconding. If I ordered something in March, and I see the shop owner pouring things for just inventory, not even customs, not going to lie, I'd be pissed. There's nothing wrong with sharing a negative experience you've had (pretty much what this thread is for). If I was waiting this long, I feel like it's the business' responsibility to message you as to why it's taking this long, or not, if you never mention your wait time, free money.

@Rover
Bad Dragon can do inventory and customs because they're bigger and probably have more than one mold of the same toy. Vs. DA they have like one mold of each I'd presume because they're smaller. Honestly if a March order is that backed up to October, shouldn't customs be prioritized before random inventory?
Recently it seems like you just are trying to stir up something. Like when you mentioned the MLP colors. :eyeroll: Be mindful of what your saying if you're not trying to cause drama.

Return to “General Discussion”