total ripoff of zootopia, really?

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
Shadow_Twisted

Re: total ripoff of zootopia, really?

Postby Shadow_Twisted » Sat Mar 19, 2016 10:33 pm

I actually don't mind the promotions and themes that BD picks up from pop culture trends. Ideas aren't always easy to come up with, especially when working with a niche market. While I would prefer for more original designs, I also feel like the promotions provide a nice flow of things in between original releases.
Things are looking up.
BiosBits

Postby BiosBits » Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:42 pm

I am entertained by BD's themed promotions and impressed that this sex toy business is doing things that no other sex toy business has done. I always wonder what BD will do next and what new video game will BD have a nerdgasm over. I do agree that BD should do more original stuff because the pop culture trends will become just white noise if it keeps happening.

The only theme that bothered me is the mlp theme. That was... frowned upon in my opinion. It was a risk that BD took to reach out to the hardcore bronies and might have gained more BD fans that way, which is good for them.
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:47 pm

I really can understand people wanting to get them to mix up the pop culture references with more original content. Like having another lab contest since it's something BD also are known for. Plus I think it is a really valid want, and a criticism that BD probably should see, to understand what customers want more.

I think it's especially valid with the fact in the past some pop culture references have just got colour schemes as a promotion. Which can easily be done and still fit in with producing an original themed toy, since the colour schemes are temporary. So the overall site in the long run is less "flooded" with pop culture references. But it's still fun.

I think this is another reason why the merchandising is a none issue for me, because it comes and goes with promo. Plus I really think they are a nice add on any way. Plus I think some of the BD logo merch is awesome. So even though that bit stays, I think it's great. Like classics almost.

That being said I really feel that some promotions are that "timeless" that it doesn't matter about the link. I think especially the Jurassic Park one comes to mind. Since people do have a thing for dinosaurs any way, so for some people this would cover their kink but doesn't have to be too linked to the films. I think because the dinosaurs don't really have a character in the film. So it could be easily taken as, that is just a Dino dong.

But I also know that toys being made for a promotion have to stick around, because of the cost of making it. Plus I know some people would be disappointed not to have a toy with certain promotions. I really think zootopia is one if them because how much people have loved the film. It seems like a biggie that BD would almost be stupid not to do.

But yes, more original content would be awesome and I can fully see why people would genuinely want that. Without having any personal hang up. It is probably something that will effect people wanting to shop with BD.
stuck-on-the-knot1

Postby stuck-on-the-knot1 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:58 pm

Shadow_Twisted wrote:I actually don't mind the promotions and themes that BD picks up from pop culture trends. Ideas aren't always easy to come up with, especially when working with a niche market. While I would prefer for more original designs, I also feel like the promotions provide a nice flow of things in between original releases.

I completely agree with this 100% :widesmile: Couldn't have said it better myself!~
Female 22 Pansexual Taken Polyamorous Furry Pokemaniac Whovian Rock Music Lover Food Lover

Currently own : 26 toys (Toy list on Profile)

Don't be afraid to send a PM!~ I love talking with people and making friends
jessethemarshmallow
Gender: Male | sex-positive asexual/autochorissexual | Demiromantic | Engaged | DFAB

Postby jessethemarshmallow » Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:12 pm

Rainbow Dasher wrote:They did it because they knew it would sell, and it definitely has. This movie was already extremely sexualized within the furry fandom, long before BD did anything with it. At the end of the day, it's all about business and what they know is going to rake in the cash. I'm not saying it's necessarily "right", but it is what it is.

Yep, yep. You said it all for me.
My preference is I'll daydream about anything that its species deems to be an adult with human-level intelligence and be able communicate and give consent in an understandable way.

Toys I own:
► Show Spoiler
AltheaThune

Postby AltheaThune » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:49 pm

Didn't DA just release a bunny penetrable? <snark>Are they ripping off Zootopia, BD, or both?</snark>
FOR SALE: Mountain Drake (OS/5), Legacy Naga (S/8), Sleipnir (S/5), Sleipnir (Mini/3), Trent (M/5), Tyson (S/5). Additional info in my profile. PM me for details.
HungryStray

Postby HungryStray » Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:54 pm

AltheaThune wrote:Didn't DA just release a bunny penetrable? <snark>Are they ripping off Zootopia, BD, or both?</snark>

I think that was PH actually. Unless DA did it too? o.o
Soooo... I'm doing reviews now! http://doeadeert.tumblr.com/

"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!" Alex (Malcolm McDowell)

Controversy is the seeds of change and enlightenment. The fruits we harvest today will be the compost of tomorrow.
Beastial

Postby Beastial » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:56 pm

HungryStray wrote:
AltheaThune wrote:Didn't DA just release a bunny penetrable? <snark>Are they ripping off Zootopia, BD, or both?</snark>

I think that was PH actually. Unless DA did it too? o.o

I don't see anything like that on her Tumblr or Etsy, must have been a typo.
BorisLover

Postby BorisLover » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:51 pm

It was Primal Hardwere, and as others have said, it's not believed they were trying to compete with BD.
It IS easter after all so it's probably being released for that reason.
Avatar made by Drazard ! ~ Happily Claimed ~ ♡
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:12 am

BorisLover wrote:

It was Primal Hardwere, and as others have said, it's not believed they were trying to compete with BD.
It IS easter after all so it's probably being released for that reason.

It could either be Zootopia or Easter, either way I don't think it's bad that more than one company have done it.
AltheaThune

Postby AltheaThune » Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:43 am

I don't think it's bad either. It was more a commentary on the people who are always accusing BD of copying their competitors. And yeah, I said DA when I should have said PH. Hard to keep 'em all straight sometimes.
FOR SALE: Mountain Drake (OS/5), Legacy Naga (S/8), Sleipnir (S/5), Sleipnir (Mini/3), Trent (M/5), Tyson (S/5). Additional info in my profile. PM me for details.
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:09 am

AltheaThune wrote:I don't think it's bad either. It was more a commentary on the people who are always accusing BD of copying their competitors. And yeah, I said DA when I should have said PH. Hard to keep 'em all straight sometimes.

That's really valid to bring up, since o know BD does get s lot of criticisms. However you are right parallel evolution is very much a thing.
Vitani

Postby Vitani » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:38 am

With how many dick companies are out there now, it's hard to avoid some similarities sometimes. I don't believe BD is copying anyone really. I've had some people show me things and tell me 'ZOMG BD TOTALLY COPIED THIS!!!' But I just never really see it personally?
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:44 am

Vitani wrote:With how many dick companies are out there now, it's hard to avoid some similarities sometimes. I don't believe BD is copying anyone really. I've had some people show me things and tell me 'ZOMG BD TOTALLY COPIED THIS!!!' But I just never really see it personally?

That's how I see it, and I did try and look at the criticism from an non bias point of view. Like you can tell when a company probably just had similar inspirations, and when there is blatant copying I think.

Some people scream about copying all too easily, which is a shame because when it happens for real it's very serious.
BorisLover

Postby BorisLover » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:19 pm

karla-chan wrote:It could either be Zootopia or Easter, either way I don't think it's bad that more than one company have done it.

I never said it was bad, simply pointing out and correcting the error above.

While I have had my personal peeves with this company in the past, and still in ways are hurt they've gone down the big business road, I've come to terms with it now and have accepted that they will cater to ALOT of fandoms, and really, it's a damn good business move.
Doesn't mean every individual is going to like what they do though.

Vitani wrote:With how many dick companies are out there now, it's hard to avoid some similarities sometimes. I don't believe BD is copying anyone really. I've had some people show me things and tell me 'ZOMG BD TOTALLY COPIED THIS!!!' But I just never really see it personally?

Great example someone had a custom split fade nox on their tumblr in a purple to blue fade with a black/ dark base.
Imo A VERY common color combination. And because they saw one in the adoptions they tried to accuse the company of copying them :psyduck:
I rolled my eyes hard at that one.
In the end your color combinations are not your own.
Avatar made by Drazard ! ~ Happily Claimed ~ ♡
goldlion

Postby goldlion » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:27 pm

scaledragon wrote:so just recently came back to bd and now i see all this zootopia related stuff and it looks like a complete and total ripoff of the movie, the badges/pins mostly. come on BD couldnt have thought of something more original?

/facepalm
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image
toy list in the spoiler -
► Show Spoiler
anti-firm(8) 2015™
mated to a beautiful kitty boy <3
miss_kofuku

Postby miss_kofuku » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:52 pm

BorisLover wrote:Great example someone had a custom split fade nox on their tumblr in a purple to blue fade with a black/ dark base.
Imo A VERY common color combination. And because they saw one in the adoptions they tried to accuse the company of copying them :psyduck:
I rolled my eyes hard at that one.
In the end your color combinations are not your own.

I saw that, too, so I'm going to have to say that's not a great example at all :eyeroll:

The toys were the same!
You are right that purple to blue on a dark base is very common and popular (one of my favorite toys ever is a Ridley in those colors) BUT! The colors on that are still different from the Noxes, and really most purple to blues toys are! Think about it, they can be bright, or dark, or metallic, or pearlescent, or flat, or pastel, or normal/mid-range, or a mix! There are infinite possibilities, so the same hexes is a little odd, especially when it's built the same (and the Adoptions thread was just talking about how rare firm drops are, too!)

I will only agree with you on the copying claim; I can see why they'd think that, but I think it's more likely it was a flop of their toy that got lost in a box or has been sitting on a worker's desk or something and finally got put up for sale :smilenox:
~Kofuku, resident Goddess

Sold to: Drayco, x6black6cat6x, Kap, MattMarshall178, justahornycpl, m13t, setekh, Rambus, vixenvega, wolfstardobe, imhereforeskin
Traded with: Armomen
:blush:
Gribley

Postby Gribley » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:18 pm

Zacharie wrote:OK but the real reason why this is all ridiculous is because BD makes dildoes based off of franchises, such as Fallout, Star wars, Zootopia, HTTYD and more, but when something like THIS happens, they file a cease and desist.

https://twitter.com/PartyPrat/status/708876166577270784

im just....done at this point lmao

yeah, that is some massive bullshit by BD.
i am not remotely impressed, that guy has every reason to be salty as fuck.
SomeGuy

Postby SomeGuy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:40 pm

I've always been curious about toys inspired by copyrighted character and the law. It seems to fall into a pretty grey area, but when does it go to far and become a ripoff? How close it is to the source, how much the source is brought up?
I don't mind their permotions at all prsonally, they aren't doing any harm.
Sheepboy

Postby Sheepboy » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:00 am

Kith wrote:
Arumaeruma wrote:But I think that mostly has to do with me not liking the sexualization of children content.

The shorts the tiger dancers wear certainly don't help in that regard. I haven't been able to see the movie myself, but all the adults I've seen review it have said that it's a movie that, while accessible to children, is really for adults. So I have trouble seeing it as "children's content" myself. :psyduck:

Just leaving here that Disney intends to make their movies for adults AND children. There are some jokes only adults understand in older Disney/Pixar movies, too and noone ever complained about that even though there sure are sexual jokes as well :stick:
A simple "hello" could lead to a million things Image

Icon and mini icon in signature by the wonderful Chibity here on the forums

Want to buy (feel free to DM if you sell them; EU preferred):
► Show Spoiler

Return to “General Discussion”