boiling damage

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
Gribley

boiling damage

Postby Gribley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:12 am

i have herd that you ought to boil your toy for 20 mins after a few uses, however i have also herd about burning the toy on the hot bottom of the pot.
this is quite a worry for me as many of mine don't properly ft in the point so small area are resting straight on the bottom of the pot with quite a bit of pressure.

does anyone have info on what is the safest way to boil the buggers, or if this info about being able to burn them is true or not.
Rainbow Dasher

Re: boiling damage

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:21 am

You definitely don't need to boil for 20 minutes. 5 minutes is all that's needed to get them perfectly sanitized. People have burned/melted their toys through boiling before, but it's usually one of the following reasons, why:

1. The toy wasn't covered by enough water and so the toy started to burn/melt from the heat.

2. The individual who was doing the boiling, walked away/fell asleep/didn't pay attention and, like the above, it got to the point where the water level was way too low. In one case, years back, someone fell asleep while boiling a toy and by the time they woke, the water had been boiled away and the toy was just a melted, burned mess.

Get a pot big enough for the toy (and it is OK if it touches the sides) and cover it completely with water. I usually like an extra 2 - 3" of water over the toys. Bring to a boil and let it do its thing for 5 minutes, though some people like 10. Turn off the heat and that's it. At this point, I usually, carefully remove the toy with tongs and lay it out on a towel to dry.

Edit: You can also run through the dishwasher if you have one, top rack.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Gribley

Postby Gribley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:47 am

Rainbow Dasher wrote:You definitely don't need to boil for 20 minutes. 5 minutes is all that's needed to get them perfectly sanitized. People have burned/melted their toys through boiling before, but it's usually one of the following reasons, why:

1. The toy wasn't covered by enough water and so the toy started to burn/melt from the heat.

2. The individual who was doing the boiling, walked away/fell asleep/didn't pay attention and, like the above, it got to the point where the water level was way too low. In one case, years back, someone fell asleep while boiling a toy and by the time they woke, the water had been boiled away and the toy was just a melted, burned mess.

Get a pot big enough for the toy (and it is OK if it touches the sides) and cover it completely with water. I usually like an extra 2 - 3" of water over the toys. Bring to a boil and let it do its thing for 5 minutes, though some people like 10. Turn off the heat and that's it. At this point, I usually, carefully remove the toy with tongs and lay it out on a towel to dry.

Edit: You can also run through the dishwasher if you have one, top rack.

thanks for the quality reply, its a great help.
so you are saying if it has water covering it it is all good to boil away, awesome.
a few of mine are too long to cover with water and end up sticking out the top, i personally just flip and stir ir rapidly, can they burn from the hot air/steam?
vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:51 am

Gribley wrote:thanks for the quality reply, its a great help.
so you are saying if it has water covering it it is all good to boil away, awesome.
a few of mine are too long to cover with water and end up sticking out the top, i personally just flip and stir ir rapidly, can they burn from the hot air/steam?

No they're fine. A lot of my toys don't fit in all the way, fat bases and such. I've never had one burn.
Amaranthe

Postby Amaranthe » Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:10 pm

For when my toy is too big for the pot I'm using, I just use tongs to hold it in the boiling water so it doesn't touch the pot. Then, when I get done with that side, I (carefully!) turn the toy around and dip the other side in the water for a few minutes. Then I'll lay it in my scrubbed out sink and pour the boiling water over it. When the toy does fit in the pan, I just make sure to stir it the whole time so that no part of the toy touches the pan for too long. :widesmile:
Willow

Postby Willow » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:28 pm

Never heard about doing it for 20 minutes. I boil mine for about 5 submerged in water, and I even turn them over so one side isn't constantly on the bottom. Some of my bigger toys don't fit (like Chance) so I boil the top half for 5 and then turn it down and boil the bottom half for 5.

My god, they feel good when warmed up. I let them sit for a bit and while they're still warm I get to screwing. :stick:
Last edited by Willow on Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You can sleep with ablonde,you can sleep withbrunettebut you'll never get any sleep with aredhead.
A wolf in the streets... a fox in the sheets.
Gribley

Postby Gribley » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:50 pm

thanks yall.
i was freaking at the thought of toasting one, it's also nice to know that they don't need 20 mins.
my flatties don't know i am a homo, so getting rumbled boiling a huge dildo on the stove would be beyond a crappy time.
thanks for putting my concerns to bed.
DrZed

Postby DrZed » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:16 am

Do I have to actually boil it? I don't have a pot big enough, can I just put them in a tub and fill it with boiling water for a few minutes?
Bea

Postby Bea » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:19 am

Have any of you consider a bleach solution? When I lived with people I would just go in the bathroom, get a small shoe box sized tote and fill it with 10% bleach and 90% water, let the dicks soak for a few minutes and done. I actually still use the bleach way, just a huge tote now, because I'm clumsy and burn myself trying to boil 40 dicks.

And, really, you don't need to boil or bleach your toys if it's just you. You should when you first get it (from a company or secondhand) and before you ever sell it. I do once a month since I'm sort of a clean freak, but it's not necessary unless you got it very dirty and you think it has bad bacteria dawn can't wash away.
Bzzzzzzz
silvring

Postby silvring » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:02 am

Bea wrote:Have any of you consider a bleach solution?

I use bleach myself since I don't have a pot big enough for dick soup. If I did I'd probably use both methods depending on time/mood. Mostly I give them a good soaping up because for some reason I find rubbing them when they're slick with soap to be weirdly sexy.
lizardbreath

Postby lizardbreath » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:38 am

silvring wrote: :words: Mostly I give them a good soaping up because for some reason I find rubbing them when they're slick with soap to be weirdly sexy.

Glad it's not just me!
You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. And possibly not even then.
Pretzal queen!!
pls contact me if you saw anything in my collection you covet :) the worst i can do is say "no"
[
blushingkitten

Postby blushingkitten » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:19 pm

lizardbreath wrote:
silvring wrote: :words: Mostly I give them a good soaping up because for some reason I find rubbing them when they're slick with soap to be weirdly sexy.

Glad it's not just me!

Chiming in to say me, too! :P My boyfriend always watches me when I do it like the ol' pervert he is, so I assume he likes it, too! :P
New Discord server for the discussion of toys with a moderated secondhand section. Silicone Soirée
lostpony

Postby lostpony » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:37 pm

I like my toys nice and dirty :stick:

I have boiled 80s My Little Ponies for a long time to blanch some age-related discoloration, sometimes for hours and hours with their little hooves sitting right on the bottom under the water, and they've only been hurt if I let the water level drop such that it isn't completely covering them and even then the parts touching the bottom are still fine.

It's not that I like ponies as much as Bad Dragon products (though I do :smilenox: ) but this is slightly on topic in that silicone has a much higher temperature range than pony PVC and if ponies aren't hurt by touching the bottom while boiling, neither should silicone be.

Thanks Willow for the suggestion, I'm going to try my new old legacy large Naga warmed up!
Everypony was sure Somepony should do it.  Anypony could have done it, but Nopony did it.
kittycat1356

Postby kittycat1356 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:42 am

On a slightly different topic,I've held a flame to a silicone toy before, and all it did was make the silicone super hot. Also, I never boil my toys, I wash them often And occasionally use bleach, and im still surviving lol.

Also, I agree 100% heating up toys is amazing, and heating up cumlube (only what you will use in one sitting) is super awesome, I have a demon fetish, and hot cum is perfect for that :stick:
Demisexual LESBIAN kitty :mystery: <the babies want to be touched
lizardbreath

Postby lizardbreath » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:50 am

Note for vag owners

Boil or bleach the toys if you used them with a UTI!
You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. And possibly not even then.
Pretzal queen!!
pls contact me if you saw anything in my collection you covet :) the worst i can do is say "no"
[
marshmarshmarsh

Postby marshmarshmarsh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:00 am

i am one of those people who burned a toy (thankfully not one i particularly loved) while having a really bad vaguing-out episode and trying to self-soothe by cleaning. the smell as the water boiled off completely snapped me out of it a little and the toy had a few bubbly holes and discoloration in it, as well as feeling gummy to the touch. lesson learned.

agreed with dasher, put LOTS of water in and try to cover the entire toy.

i personally boil between every use because i'm ocd and prone to infections and allergic to bleach, it'd really gross me out to reuse a toy that had got my bedlint and lube and stuff stuck to it. i often boil my entire collection even if i've only used 8 of the 50-something toys, just to keep the dust off the ones in storage. the entire sterilization process takes me hours and warms up the whole house and i'm careful now to never do it if i'm feeling vaguey. i set my toys out to dry on plates so they don't touch the kitchen table, then carry them with tongs back to their drawers.

DON'T BOIL CUMLUBE it breaks down into a really gross tea with white blobs. and don't boil bleach you will poison yourself and your pets.

if a toy is super stinky i WILL cover it with LOTS of wet baking soda (enough so it's like clay, but not runny) on a cookie sheet and bake it at a lowish temperature until the baking soda covering flakes off when touched. really good way at killing ass-smell and secondhand cigarettes.
seeking: Jollies Jollie
selling: Bazel, Pyxis. PM if interested!
Willow

Postby Willow » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:45 am

marshmarshmarsh wrote:DON'T BOIL CUMLUBE it breaks down into a really gross tea with white blobs. and don't boil bleach you will poison yourself and your pets.

Who even said that here? That's the kind of thing listed under "common sense".
You can sleep with ablonde,you can sleep withbrunettebut you'll never get any sleep with aredhead.
A wolf in the streets... a fox in the sheets.
Arumaeruma

Postby Arumaeruma » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:48 am

Willow wrote:
marshmarshmarsh wrote:DON'T BOIL CUMLUBE it breaks down into a really gross tea with white blobs. and don't boil bleach you will poison yourself and your pets.

Believe it or not, I clearly remember someone suggesting to boil a bleach solution in the help a while back :/
marshmarshmarsh

Postby marshmarshmarsh » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:51 am

Willow wrote:

eh, no one, i just was on the topic of boiling dos and don'ts on the offchance there was anyone who didn't know. :) i don't really like cumlube cuz it's thin so i was doing some experiments while in the process of getting rid of the last of my bottle to see if it was possible to thicken it via temperature changes. answer: nope.

Believe it or not, I clearly remember someone suggesting to boil a bleach solution in the help a while back :/

YIKES. guess it was ok to throw a reminder out there after all?
seeking: Jollies Jollie
selling: Bazel, Pyxis. PM if interested!
lostpony

Postby lostpony » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:16 pm

marshmarshmarsh wrote:i am one of those people who burned a toy (thankfully not one i particularly loved) while having a really bad vaguing-out episode and trying to self-soothe by cleaning. the smell as the water boiled off completely snapped me out of it a little and the toy had a few bubbly holes and discoloration in it, as well as feeling gummy to the touch. lesson learned.

agreed with dasher, put LOTS of water in and try to cover the entire toy.

i personally boil between every use because i'm ocd and prone to infections and allergic to bleach, it'd really gross me out to reuse a toy that had got my bedlint and lube and stuff stuck to it. i often boil my entire collection even if i've only used 8 of the 50-something toys, just to keep the dust off the ones in storage. the entire sterilization process takes me hours and warms up the whole house and i'm careful now to never do it if i'm feeling vaguey. i set my toys out to dry on plates so they don't touch the kitchen table, then carry them with tongs back to their drawers.

DON'T BOIL CUMLUBE it breaks down into a really gross tea with white blobs. and don't boil bleach you will poison yourself and your pets.

if a toy is super stinky i WILL cover it with LOTS of wet baking soda (enough so it's like clay, but not runny) on a cookie sheet and bake it at a lowish temperature until the baking soda covering flakes off when touched. really good way at killing ass-smell and secondhand cigarettes.

I want to hang out at your house and watch 50 toys laid out on plates on the table while some are baking in the oven with a light flaky poultice crust...Yay toy is served! *pulls out tongs*

btw what did you do with the heat-damaged toy? I want added bubbles texture
Everypony was sure Somepony should do it.  Anypony could have done it, but Nopony did it.

Return to “General Discussion”