How much have you spent?

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
Shadow hound

Re: How much have you spent?

Postby Shadow hound » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:47 pm

karla-chan wrote:You always get judgemental people when it comes to expensive hobbies. You get people from both the outside, and inside making comments about other peoples habits. Which is kind of wrong, because you don't know their situation. You don't know their lives. You don't always think about the little things in your own spending that really add up, which they might be not having in order to buy these expensive things your are judging them for. We all have our vices.

You also don't always know how long they have been collecting, and these things can really add up.

You might be looking at someone else's spending, and judging them a little. Meanwhile other people could looking at you in the same judgemental manner. Since they see the things you have, that you might not think about in the same way. So it is best to try not to judge people on these things. Life is too short, and the world seems too dark not to try and take enjoyment were we can. Just where that pleasure and enjoyment lies varies in all of us. Whether or not we choose for it to be something expensive, or many shorter term vices.

Although it is totally okay to be a little bit shocked in admiration. Like I am in total awe in the really big collections on here, but I just think that one day mine will be bigger too.

I guess it's true, there's always someone who wants to judge others x)
I know some friends of mine totally judge me for owning "so many expensive dragon dicks" xD even if I've been buying a little bit in the past..three..four years. I know they want some too though, they didn't at first but they've seen them and they've heard me talk about the toys so they are very interested :D

I'm super jelly of the huge collections, or more jelly of the idea of being able to buy so much cause I'd really love to share the fun with my friends so I wouldn't be the only weirdo with the dragon dicks(and they totally deserve the best) x)
My Toys:
► Show Spoiler
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:50 pm

Rainbow Dasher wrote:
Shadow hound wrote: but it's just hard to relate to a situation where you simply can do it if you wanna if you've never had money like that yourself.

Getting an inheritance was the only reason why I was able in the first place. I've never seen that much money before in my life (I'm disabled and unfit for work) and I will never see the likes of it again. I've never had money of really any sort before, so I went nuts with some of it.

Please, people; I answered the original question, can we please stop making this post all about me? I'm really feeling uncomfortable.

I think that's exactly why people shouldn't judge, because they don't know the situation. I'm sorry this became really uncomfortable for you.
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:07 pm

karla-chan wrote:
I think that's exactly why people shouldn't judge, because they don't know the situation. I'm sorry this became really uncomfortable for you.

It happened the last time there was a "how much have you spent?" thread, too. I knew better than to post, and never again will I post on one of these threads. *sigh* And it's only me people focus on. Not the person who spent 16K or the one who has spent the cost of a house. Just me. I'm done speaking in this thread now. :unamused:
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm

I think "how much do you spend" "how much do you make" threads aren't really constructive. Either you get a bunch of people posting around the same amount of money and that becomes boring to read, or you get the few people posting way more $$$ than everyone else and people lose their shit.

Everyone's finances are different, everyone's budget for items are different. Unless you're their financial advisor you don't have to *get* their spending.

As for me, I've spent around $400 - $500 on sex toys. I have a small, well loved collection. After I buy my butt plug in a few days, and maaaaaaybe a small Echo I feel like my little toy chest will be complete (though I dream of a Sybian, not sure if I'll ever get it) . I'm not a collector of sex toys, so buying a whole ton would just give my anxiety... to have a big collection that I only used a few of would freak me out. But I get how people like to collect sex toys, we all have those things we like to collect. I like to collect brushes: makeup brushes, art brushes, hair brushes, and combs. So far I've found a specific use for each brush I own, and I love just taking a minute to look at them. Some people may think a brush collection is nuts, but I'm not spending their money so who cares?

Lol, I got long winded.
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:33 pm

I think sometimes a how much have you spent on X hobby threads can be okay as long as people are respectful. But it can slip all too easily. However a how much do you earn seems really personal? I don't think I'd think it OK to go there.

But I'm not sure if it's because the other main ones that I have been in have been in the doll hobby. Where we have kind of all been like hahaha... Oops... And self comparisons to what that could have bought.
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:40 pm

karla-chan wrote:I think sometimes a how much have you spent on X hobby threads can be okay as long as people are respectful. But it can slip all too easily. However a how much do you earn seems really personal? I don't think I'd think it OK to go there.

But I'm not sure if it's because the other main ones that I have been in have been in the doll hobby. Where we have kind of all been like hahaha... Oops... And self comparisons to what that could have bought.

I've seen the "how much do you earn" thread on a wedding planning forum that I joined when planning my wedding. I thought that thread was waaaaay too personal, and things got out of hand. People judging others wedding budget based on their yearly income and stuff.
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:48 pm

Kisa wrote:
karla-chan wrote:I think sometimes a how much have you spent on X hobby threads can be okay as long as people are respectful. But it can slip all too easily. However a how much do you earn seems really personal? I don't think I'd think it OK to go there.

I've seen the "how much do you earn" thread on a wedding planning forum that I joined when planning my wedding. I thought that thread was waaaaay too personal, and things got out of hand. People judging others wedding budget based on their yearly income and stuff.

I would most certainly feel the same way actually. Stuff like that a feel really uncomfortable with and feel there is no way to not be judged unfairly.

Although it is a tiny bit funny talking about something like that being too personal on a site where we talk deeply about sex, and things we are into in that respect. But I know it's a different kind of uncomfortable, and this forum is a safe space for sex talk. Just thought I'd point it out to try and lighten the mood.
Shadow hound

Postby Shadow hound » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:49 pm

Kisa wrote:

Wedding people are crazy sometimes :D as if that one day mattered more than life itself. But I suppose they're just passionate about it and it goes a lil overboard. I'm supposed to get married but I suck at planning, weddings or my next meal, I don't know what's gonna happen xD

I don't really mind talking about how much I earn here because I'm not really using my real name or anything and I don't know what anyone does with that knowledge. I'm not rich, that's not interesting :D
My Toys:
► Show Spoiler
Dracon Ra

Postby Dracon Ra » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:58 pm

Like Dasher, I spent most of an inheritance for my collection.

Should be about $8000 by now.
Amaranthe

Postby Amaranthe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:44 pm

Fruityrumpusasshole wrote:
Rainbow Dasher wrote:
karla-chan wrote:

It happened the last time there was a "how much have you spent?" thread, too. I knew better than to post, and never again will I post on one of these threads. *sigh* And it's only me people focus on. Not the person who spent 16K or the one who has spent the cost of a house. Just me. I'm done speaking in this thread now. :unamused:

Only one person made one comment before you went off on a tangent. and all they said was wtf.
Yeah, kinda rude but take it with a grain of salt. jesus.

Yep. Of course people are going to be surprised when you spend a large amount of money on anything. They didn't come off as rude at all to me. They expressed their shock and asked a perfectly benign question. :psyduck: :mystery:

Anyway, I've spent probably around 300$ including shipping costs so far, over the course of more than a year. Not too much, but it would have been a muchhigher number had I not experienced several small financial changes in that time! :laugh:
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:46 pm

I find it funny when someone I've had on ignore for about 8 months, keep quoting me like I can see what they say. Bug off; I don't deal with people who have, once before, threatened me or who have multiple aliases on this forum.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Sandpaper

Postby Sandpaper » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:17 am

I've spent just above $ 500 over me 2 years with BD based on a rough guess. Maybe 600 if you count non-BD suff.

It's not alot by some standards... But it's what I've been willing to pay. I could justify paying more, but for me, I don't think it'd add much value compared to what I'd be paying.
That's the thing about hobbies. You can either have one expensive one, or several, but keep them on the cheap.
someguy28

Postby someguy28 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:18 am

I just added it up and got $608.35 not including all the lube I pick up whenever I make a purchase (but including shipping). That's for nine toys, all of which were either flops or purchased during a sale.
Dorito

Postby Dorito » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:43 am

I don't feel comfortable saying the exact number, but I'll say it's by far the most expensive 'hobby' I've had, and at this time in my life, I feel justified in my purchases.

I'm in a relationship with (what I did NOT go into the relationship knowing was) a basically asexual person, so I don't have a sex life, and since I've committed myself to this person, I likely never will. The toys aren't a replacement for the human partner I want by any means, but they've been a very important coping mechanism for me.
karla-chan

Postby karla-chan » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:50 am

Sandpaper wrote:I've spent just above $ 500 over me 2 years with BD based on a rough guess. Maybe 600 if you count non-BD suff.

It's not alot by some standards... But it's what I've been willing to pay. I could justify paying more, but for me, I don't think it'd add much value compared to what I'd be paying.
That's the thing about hobbies. You can either have one expensive one, or several, but keep them on the cheap.

Pretty much yes, it's up to us to decide which way will make us the happiest. Just choosing to respect other people's personal choices.

Also with some hobbies if the things you get last rather a long time, then you can focus on different ones at different times. While still considering yourselves part of certain hobbies. Since if the hobby very much has a part of showing interest and enthusiasm for that hobby, then it's not if you are spending money at this time.

It's a subject that I'm very much defensive on, because of the BJD hobby, and people can have a lot of judgment from the outside on how much you are spending on dolls.

I don't get it in this hobby, because very few people know and if they do they don't talk about the cost. Where as when people see my dolls, cost is something people ask about rather quickly. So that's why I'm really not liking the idea that we could be judging each other.
Tallon

Postby Tallon » Fri Nov 11, 2016 3:56 am

Easily $500. If I would have asked for that much worth of fantasy dildos about ten years ago, there may have been some complications. It took me fourteen years to realize that I am married to the most open, interesting person ever.
"Ecce! Scintillae!" :laugh:

Married Bisexual Kinky Old Man :stick:
Rispy_Girl

Postby Rispy_Girl » Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:21 am

Rainbow Dasher wrote:
GlacierK wrote:
but lord, having that much of a selection! must be fun, though maybe at times too hard to choose. :stick:

Honestly, not really. I'm tempted to get rid of all but 20 - 30 toys, if I can. I have a few I reach for almost every time I toy (maybe twice a month, if that) and the rest just...sit. I'm kind of "over" the whole fantasy dick thing, now, anyway.

Same here. I'm really refining my tastes and starting to decide on toys I will never reach for regularly because they don't do as much for me. I toy more often than you, but I think based on other posts you make that you tend to use multiple toys. I usually use one or two per session, so if I keep all that I have, most sit unused. I think it was very worth getting all of these to see what I like and find ones I really enjoy. For example I like my cervix being poked and honestly wouldn't have ever guessed that before trying toys that are kind of pokey.

Also I think that is sweet that a good chunk of the forum is speaking in your favor :misc2: :smilenox: This is a really supportive place.
Niah

Postby Niah » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:27 am

...Shit...Just over $2K (USD). That's not counting shipping, and it includes 3 keychains and 2 bottles of cumlube. It's about $200 more when I add in the shipping on each order. I, uh, knew I'd spent a lot (for me) on my toys and stuff, but I didn't realize how much. Means I have as much invested in my toys as I do my gaming desktop, lol. This spans the time from early June 2015 till early October 2016, so it's been spaced out just enough that I didn't notice (and I make sure not to spend when I can't afford it; student loan debt repayments and my phone bill come first).
31/Asexual/Genderfluid (biologically female).

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
Rispy_Girl

Postby Rispy_Girl » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:00 am

I don't actually know how much I spent and I don't think I have the patience to go through and add that up, but I did do an estimate of how much my collection is worth. I'm at about 9k with what I currently have in my possession. :cool: Though after making a write up of my collection I determined that I have several more toys that need to go, so if I get around to updating my sales posts and things sell fast enough that number will change a bit. Also I have a box and a single item on the way that are not accounted or at this time.
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am

I think I've maybe spent somewhere between 2 to 3 grand for my collection including shipping.

If we're talking misc kink gear and stuff, probably a LOT more than that haha :surprised:
All my sex toy data on here is way out of date.

Return to “General Discussion”