Dildos: Fantasy vs. Reality

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
Kisa

Dildos: Fantasy vs. Reality

Postby Kisa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Ok, I know this is going to be a bias topic since we're in a fantasy toy forum, but I'm curious if anyone out there likes the look of realistic dildos. I never liked the realistic toys, because personally I don't like the look of a natural penis. I've talked to several women with a range of sexualities, and I have yet to find a female that likes the look of realistic peen, and many say they don't buy dildos because all of the dildos they've seen are the realistic ones.

I know the dislike of the aesthetic of the natural penis can't be that way all across the board, but I'm curious about why the majority of mainstream toy companies out there choose to makes all or most of their dildos realistic looking when there seems to be a real market for fantasy, or at least abstract looking dildos.

So what's your stance? Do you like realistic dildos, or are you like me and own nothing but fantasy/abstract toys?
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland
Arumaeruma

Re: Dildos: Fantasy vs. Reality

Postby Arumaeruma » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:21 pm

If it's something like Pearce where it's very large and humanoid but still fantasy I like it, if it's something like Vic skin I cannnoooot get into it. Realistic dildos are such a weird uncanny valley for me. I like irl dicks, and hentai, but really don't prefer realistic dildos
kt~

Postby kt~ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:29 pm

I don't like realistic dildos, I don't even like real dicks, they're just gross.

As to why most companies only make realistic dildos, I suppose one reason could be that most sex toy companies are run by men, and most men want to think that women like their dicks.

But meh, I know there must be women who like realistic dildos, otherwise those mainstream companies wouldn't be in business still.

My boyfriend, a trans guy, used to get really discouraged when he would go online and see women saying they would only date a guy who had a penis (so basically, only cis men). So I think we're way in the minority. The forum is really diverse in different sexualities, gender identities, etc, and I'm willing to bet we prefer to hang around people irl who think similar to ourselves.
~Kinzie~ :misc13: :cool: / Female / 23 / Otaku / Writer

One step on the road to recovery from past traumas.

20 Insertables/1 Penetrable/3 Vibes/4 Eggs
Pictures of my Collection
lizardbreath

Postby lizardbreath » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:42 pm

I perfectly fine with actual dicks attatched to an actual person

But realistic toys?

Well.... it's entirely possible I've watched too many serial killer movies :bugeyed: :doh: :surprised:

Disembodied realistic cocks
Nope
A whole pile of nope
You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. And possibly not even then.
Pretzal queen!!
pls contact me if you saw anything in my collection you covet :) the worst i can do is say "no"
[
vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:51 pm

I love flesh and blood dicks and hate realistic dildos. I wouldn't even use a fantasy toy in a flesh tone and wouldn't touch a VixSkin if it were free.
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 pm

lizardbreath wrote:I perfectly fine with actual dicks attatched to an actual person

But realistic toys?

Well.... it's entirely possible I've watched too many serial killer movies :bugeyed: :doh: :surprised:

Disembodied realistic cocks
Nope
A whole pile of nope

Yeah, a real penis used to really weird me out, but now I'm sort of luke warm to it, some days I actually like the look of a real one. But a realistic looking dildo looks like someone castrated a mannequin. Not into it.

Yeah, I'm seconding the sex toy companies being run by men thing. Unless they get a bunch of feedback about the look of their toys they aren't really going to know any different.
Last edited by Kisa on Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland
thesharkwhisperer

Postby thesharkwhisperer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:55 pm

I love realistic toys, the reason why I have a Shane and Rudy from EE :laugh: I don't have a lot of simple human character crushes but they are good for the ones I have. IRL I am not really interested in penises ( I would not totally cross them out tho ) but as toys they are alright.
History nerd - Dino lover - Pokémon - HUBBADUH
Panzellie

Postby Panzellie » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:57 pm

I personally love the fantasy ones; but recently I have been looking at Exotic Erotic's line of life cast humans to kinda fulfill a niche fantasy of getting off to my OCs. Rudy would be my character Jackson, but with a more pasty grey color scheme (I never said Jackson was the most appealing man XD), and James would start with grey at the head and fade down into a silver tone, fulfilling the idea of it being either of my vampire boys Nonpareil and Jasper--
Unfortunately, I don't feel any attraction to the offered penises. Realistic dildoes turn me off, and I only look at the EE models to get an idea of what my boys' shafts look like-- the idea is arousing, but not the toy visuals themselves.
~~~
Maybe it is my close minded community, but my sister's friends... and my mom's co-workers... and my friends... all know I collect fantasy toys and not realistic ones. My friends are cool with it because I explained my distaste for realistic penises and they said that if it makes me happy, they are happy. Also quoted by a male friend, "Yeah... You'd be hard pressed to find a good looking dick."

But my sister's friends and mom's coworkers say "Eew that's not a human dick, it looks disgusting, how can she put that inside of herself?" Or "I guess her man can't please her if she has to get a dog dick, huh?"
But they all get repulsed when sex is bought up anyway and the ones I have talked to about it in depth say they don't want a realistic dildo, or they don't like the look of penises in general, but they don't want a fantasy one either because they don't think animals are attractive, or think that it's bestiality. :mystery: Nevermind all the mind blowing textures and shapes fantasy toys come in... My local "Bible Belt" community doesn't want it even if it's human or fantasy it seems. Of course this is my experience so I can't speak for everyone.

/End mini-rant on realism vs fantasy. I have had this bottled in for so long :stick:

Just a guess, maybe mainstream companies largely avoid the fantasy market because producing unique shapes, textures, and possibly other colors besides standard human skin tones may increase their costs and thus the price of their products? And they want the cost relatively low to appeal to First-Timers and the average person?
Or maybe they don't want to take risks with fantasy designs in case it drives away protential customers?
That's all I can really think of at the moment.
Thanks for posting!
I have traded with CometSuicide
Bought from Magenta, Memphs, Hereticblood, and Sirion
Sold to Mikeman4290, Keely, Nickooru, and Asteraphoenix x2
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:01 pm

Panzellie wrote:
Just a guess, maybe mainstream companies largely avoid the fantasy market because producing unique shapes, textures, and possibly other colors besides standard human skin tones may increase their costs and thus the price of their products? And they want the cost relatively low to appeal to First-Timers and the average person?
Or maybe they don't want to take risks with fantasy designs in case it drives away protential customers?
That's all I can really think of at the moment.
Thanks for posting!

I would be fine with abstract designs, like what they do with the rabbit vibrators, or at least offer the realistic toys the option of an unnatural color. Getting a realistic toy, but in the color purple would make it much more appealing to me.
Last edited by Kisa on Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland
Lithium

Postby Lithium » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:02 pm

Thought I would share my own opinion on this topic as well, although I'm not a female, but one of the many reasons why I'm even buying products from Bad Dragon in the first place is the fact that they aren't realistic and simply offer something a bit more unique. Realistic looking toys aren't exactly my cup of tea so to say and I would be rather turned off by them to be entirely honest, so I'm sticking to my fantasy toys. :stick:
CassiusPlague

Postby CassiusPlague » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:35 pm

Fruityrumpusasshole wrote:Apparently I must be the only one who likes realistic dick shaped dildos :x

Though I would love for some of the nice realistic looking ones to be available in custom colors :nomnom:

You're not the only one, I like the toys like Pearce that are bit more human shaped too as long as they're girthy and have a little bit of something extra to bring. Honestly, I had to google what a vixskin was. I wasn't repulsed but they don't look like a real penises to me at all because most penises that I've seen are more than one solid color and the veins are not so pronounced. I feel like it all depends on the toy mostly. Part of the reason I like these toys so much is that I can fill out what my ocs parts look like a bit more and get an experience I would not otherwise be able to have (being a budding size queen is fun).
♥Just a smol bear girl♥
I like to RP. So far I own: many things and more to come probably! There's not much else interesting about me, I'm pretty new to this and socially awkward heh
gooedneighbor

Postby gooedneighbor » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:38 pm

I like realistic dildos, as well as flesh and blood human dicks. But I also like variety. I own more abstract and fantasy toys than realistic ones simply because there are only so many ways you can make a realistic human dildo, but a ton of innovative stuff that can be done without limiting the shape to a standard human one.
GoreMagala

Postby GoreMagala » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:44 pm

Ewwie!
I don't really like the look of non-fantasy dildos.
Often times they are too plasticy and simple, and the skin-tone coloring looks really gross.
I like them on guys, just not on toys :nerdy:
Emi - 18 - Bisexual - Female - Nerd - Pescetarian - Monster Hunter Dork - Atlus Fangirl

ImageFollow me!Image
https://monsterslavegirl.tumblr.com/
https://videos.toypics.net/GoreMagala

► Show Spoiler
lizardbreath

Postby lizardbreath » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:46 pm

vixenvega wrote:I love flesh and blood dicks and hate realistic dildos. I wouldn't even use a fantasy toy in a flesh tone and wouldn't touch a VixSkin if it were free.

Yeah
I can't cope with flesh tones on my fantasy toys either :(
You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. And possibly not even then.
Pretzal queen!!
pls contact me if you saw anything in my collection you covet :) the worst i can do is say "no"
[
Wistala

Postby Wistala » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:55 pm

I like realistic looking dildos and sex toys in general.
Just not human shaped sex toys.
Don't forget, y'all, that they can be realistic looking without having to be modeled after a human.
Click this link to read my serial novel: Niara's Song
Leonidas Aquilas, an ex soldier, and Niara, a dragoness from the old world, find themselves as lovers and allies in a war against a terrifyingly powerful foe seeking to conquer their entire world.
Bad Dragon toys:
Janine - Reef Green - NSFW Review - Dragon Muzzle - Dark Natural
Elden - Blossom Pink - Medium 5 - Flared Chance - Yellow and Pink Marble - Medium 8 - Kelvin - Grey - Small 3
ImageImage
vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Wistala wrote:I like realistic looking dildos and sex toys in general.
Just not human shaped sex toys.
Don't forget, y'all, that they can be realistic looking without having to be modeled after a human.

This is true.
In that case most of my dildos are fruity candies. Fuck the rainbow :smile:
Idra

Postby Idra » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I really don't want flesh and blood penises in my life, OR realistic dildos. I don't find the shape appealing aesthetically, but I also don't think they'd be a good shape for me to get off with. I like the odd shapes and curves and especially the thickness that fantasy toys often bring to the table. Even if I wanted to buy a realistic dildo, buying one in a thickness I'd enjoy (2+ inches diameter) is often prohibitively expensive -- like, realistic silicone toys that are thinner than that will often cost more than a BD toy in a thickness I want -- and just don't bring anything to the table in-use that I really want.

The hyper-realistic ones (usually not made of silicone) with the different colors and painted-on veining and stuff also... creep me out, like someone chopped it off a person.

I've talked to a lot of people about this and there seems to be a lot of people who DO love actual penises, but don't want a realistic dildo -- even my cis straight women friends who really, really love flesh and blood dicks, or those who love their specific partner's dick, say that when it comes to toys, they'd prefer something more abstract. I've also heard from others that they don't necessarily find A Dick sexy just as a Thing, but they find the entire situation with the actual PERSON the dick's attached to, to be sexy -- seeing them react, knowing you're not the one just thrusting a dick for yourself, etc.

I really do think fantasy toys like BD sells ARE kind of a niche thing, but for example, Funkit's designs are perfect for those who want beautiful, abstract sex toys. I'm willing to bet this is also why glass sells so well -- beautiful, safe, and abstract.
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Owned: See Profile
Dusksong

Postby Dusksong » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:26 pm

I don't really like any realistic ones. Maybe slightly in shape, but in color I prefer the bright colors of fantasy toys. Even before I found BD most of my toys were non-realistic / abstract.
Image Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness. - Stephen King
* Toys for sale & Wanted in my profile! *
katze

Postby katze » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:42 pm

I've been trying to think up a response to this thread....

I'm not a fan of realistic human dildos (or real penises for that matter). However, when it comes to realism, I do enjoy a realistic looking monster/fantasy cock. Not necessarily flesh colored, but something that looks like it could belong on an actual monster. This is one of the reasons I love splits so much.

^ↀᴥↀ^
agender girl | queer | taken | 50 dildos | 14 eggs | 2 plugs | 3 penetrables | 1 wearable

ฅ(≚ᄌ≚)
toy collection in profile!
Squirrelmunk

Postby Squirrelmunk » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:09 pm

kt~ wrote:As to why most companies only make realistic dildos, I suppose one reason could be that most sex toy companies are run by men, and most men want to think that women like their dicks.

Kisa wrote:Yeah, I'm seconding the sex toy companies being run by men thing. Unless they get a bunch of feedback about the look of their toys they aren't really going to know any different.

I disagree. I think mainstream companies make whatever sells. They do have some fantasy-ish offerings: if those models sold like gangbusters, I have no doubt they'd expand their range.

Profit > ego.

And don't forget we're in the Bad Dragon forums: you won't find a place with a heavier bias towards fantasy dildos anywhere on the web.
I have a blog, which includes a list of fantasy toy makers.

Return to “General Discussion”