Anyone else miss the stories?

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
LJF

Anyone else miss the stories?

Postby LJF » Wed May 10, 2017 2:07 am

Hello,

One thing I've noticed is that, for the past year or so, the descriptions for new toys have been really short, and that's because it seems Bad Dragon no longer gives the toys little back stories.

I admit some of them I have actually gotten off to, so I kinda miss them. Does anyone else miss them?

Leon
TheOtherDude

Re: Anyone else miss the stories?

Postby TheOtherDude » Wed May 10, 2017 7:27 am

Since pretty much all of the new toys with short descriptions aren't really my taste, both in design and the fact that they bear a brand mark, I don't have this issue.

But yes I would definitely miss them if BD brought a new toy that I actually do like.
Last edited by TheOtherDude on Wed May 10, 2017 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmic Nebula & Infinity Star
Worshipper of shiny space horse dick
19 pegs / 6 holes / stash of merch & misc

► Show Spoiler
marshmarshmarsh

Postby marshmarshmarsh » Wed May 10, 2017 7:41 am

I miss some of them. I wish Tyson had gotten more than a brief mention that he's a mallcop, with some bad puns, he seems like a really wasted character (tho maybe BD doesn't want to incur the wrath of Idris Elba and have a nasty 'accident' Luther-style). I don't miss some of the ones they removed, like Sugarstar (which was toeing the line with underage fantasies, and yeah no), and I wish they'd rewrite the Tongue and Xar stories so that consent is more clear. For example, that the person opening the door is wishing beforehand for some spacefaring adventure, rather than what the story was, which was uninvited frottage, or whoever was finding drool on cave walls and floors would think 'gosh, I really wish there was someone to eat me out about now'. It's subtle, but it'd make it work. Glad they kept the Werewolf Muzzle story when they rereleased it.

On the other hand, there's just not much fantasy that can be made up about the Egg Plug, except maybe as some magic artifact. Axel and Ika could have gotten much more interesting stories too.

Mostly it's the logo I REALLY don't like because the sharp edges bother me tactilely. I'd be way more interested in toys without them. Especially something labs-created, that can also support suction cups.
seeking: Jollies Jollie
selling: Bazel, Pyxis. PM if interested!
Willow

Postby Willow » Wed May 10, 2017 1:07 pm

YES! I miss them.
Now, most don't arouse me... and some are just too silly to take seriously, but it's the personal touch. Just stating the dimensions and brief description of what it is, is... well cold. Impersonal. It's like saying "It's a dick." for a dildo. Where is the style? Where is the flair? Do they even give a shit anymore?
My image of it: "Hi, we know you like the stories and all, but tough shit. We can't take the time."
I'm sorry, I didn't know they lowered the number of minutes in a day (ok, it will take a little longer to come up and write a story).
I mean why not have a contest for people to write stories for a new toy.
Oh wait, nope, it would take to long to read them... and we know how concerned you are about time. Streeeeeeeamline.

One of the stories really did arouse me... the Duke butt. I didn't want the toy but just imagining Chance pounding away at Duke, yeah.
You can sleep with ablonde,you can sleep withbrunettebut you'll never get any sleep with aredhead.
A wolf in the streets... a fox in the sheets.
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Wed May 10, 2017 5:04 pm

With the streamlining + trying to appeal to a more vanilla audience, too, it's no wonder the stories are going away. Personally, I found some of them quite cute/nice, though don't miss the ones that were clearly non-consensual.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
lizardbreath

Postby lizardbreath » Wed May 10, 2017 6:28 pm

I don't miss them
You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. And possibly not even then.
Pretzal queen!!
pls contact me if you saw anything in my collection you covet :) the worst i can do is say "no"
[
Phelvia

Postby Phelvia » Fri May 12, 2017 11:07 am

Yeah I miss them. It added to BDs "fantasy" and "not afraid to add humor to their sex toys".

I quit caring though because after not being invested in BD for a while, I realized I was a little to upset/cared too much. I still hate the logo but I'm not going to get pissy if it's a model that actually appeals to me, I'll buy it. The only thing that bothers me is custom options being removed.

Also if anyone wants the old stories that were removed, I have them on a thread called "BD Story Corner"
Tempest

Postby Tempest » Sat May 13, 2017 8:38 am

I don't miss them. Most of them just... weren't all that good.

The new trend seems to be promo videos and I find those really funny and charming. Informative too, since a video can show a toy rotating and from multiple angles to give a more complete idea of what the toy looks like than photos.
Full collection and wish list in profile!
Current faves: L/5 Flint, Boss Hogg XXL
Dick fund status: depleted
HungryStray

Postby HungryStray » Sat May 13, 2017 3:43 pm

I enjoyed some of the ones they had, Bruce's in particular, but they aren't a selling point for me. My dicks almost always have the same voice and say the same things, I might be a touch boring...
Soooo... I'm doing reviews now! http://doeadeert.tumblr.com/

"Oh bliss! Bliss and heaven! Oh, it was gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh. It was like a bird of rarest-spun heaven metal or like silvery wine flowing in a spaceship, gravity all nonsense now. As I slooshied, I knew such lovely pictures!" Alex (Malcolm McDowell)

Controversy is the seeds of change and enlightenment. The fruits we harvest today will be the compost of tomorrow.
Raya

Postby Raya » Mon May 15, 2017 6:02 am

OH MY GOD YES!!!
It was the MAIN reason I looked forward to new toys! I didnt care if it was a insertable or penetrable, all I cared about was getting to read a new and hopefully hot story! When a new toy would come out the FIRST thing Id do was look at the art then read the story THEN check out the toy!

Xar and Crackers's stories were the WHOLE reason I feel in love with them and got them! Cant tell you how many times I played to Crackers's story and did Sex Plays based on his story!

Thats why I fucking HATE how BD is going main stream! The stories gave the toys life! It made it feel like they were actually based on real creatures, real characters!
I look at the new ones and ALL I see is just another sex toy... The exact same thing as going into a sex shop and looking at all the dilldos... "Look at this fake dick."
Its the same feeling I get looking at EE and etsy toys.

Its why I loved BD over any other fantasy toy company, they made you feel like these characters ACTUALLY worked in a real company that went around the world scouting and requiting new real models and make casts of their parts!
The Dragon Island thing is/was the BEST example of that!
They ACTUALLY played to that fantasy aspect!

I know most people didnt real care, but as someone who can really only get off to a fantasy world mindset, when they took away the stories it took away 65% of the appeal....
WTB:Kona Teenie

Name Pronounced as Ray-uh
Former Username: Precious Wolf
Im A Therian Wolf
Lover of Knotts, Big Boobs, and Egg Laying/Birthing

DO NOT PM ME FOR SEXUAL FAVORS!!!!!
ImageImageImage
LJF

Postby LJF » Mon May 15, 2017 8:08 am

Raya wrote:OH MY GOD YES!!!
It was the MAIN reason I looked forward to new toys! I didnt care if it was a insertable or penetrable, all I cared about was getting to read a new and hopefully hot story! When a new toy would come out the FIRST thing Id do was look at the art then read the story THEN check out the toy!

Xar and Crackers's stories were the WHOLE reason I feel in love with them and got them! Cant tell you how many times I played to Crackers's story and did Sex Plays based on his story!

Thats why I fucking HATE how BD is going main stream! The stories gave the toys life! It made it feel like they were actually based on real creatures, real characters!
I look at the new ones and ALL I see is just another sex toy... The exact same thing as going into a sex shop and looking at all the dilldos... "Look at this fake dick."
Its the same feeling I get looking at EE and etsy toys.

Its why I loved BD over any other fantasy toy company, they made you feel like these characters ACTUALLY worked in a real company that went around the world scouting and requiting new real models and make casts of their parts!
The Dragon Island thing is/was the BEST example of that!
They ACTUALLY played to that fantasy aspect!

I know most people didnt real care, but as someone who can really only get off to a fantasy world mindset, when they took away the stories it took away 65% of the appeal....

I fully agree with you here. I get that they want to streamline the shopping experience... but that is essentially what it is, an experience. I love it when stores have their own personal touches in the shopping experience.

You saying that BD are going main stream kinda has me a bit worried to be honest. At the moment, I absolutely love the customer support here. They're so approachable and are super helpful. I know I'm conspiring a bit, but I hope the main streaming doesn't lead to more robotic customer service too.. :crying:
None

Postby None » Mon May 15, 2017 9:29 am

I came here after they stopped doing stories. As I'm not much one for imagination, they wouldn't do much for me, either. But I do think that story and art add something to the product. Especially considering that you can basically commission a story or a drawing for less than it costs to buy most XLs here.

A story only adds and doesn't subtract. I assume it's either cutting costs, or trying to appeal to a broader audience, but costs are not very high to begin with and I can't imagine any potential buyer of a fantasy cock being turned off by, or cancel their purchasing decision because of a fictional backstory...

While I personally wouldn't miss the backstories at all, I think overall it's a loss for minimal gains.
4.11.11-zen
3TK

Postby 3TK » Mon May 15, 2017 11:00 am

While I personally never felt offended, upset, or even triggered at any of the stories, several others have actually said many of the stories in the past (and some of the current ones) are problematic.

ie:
I've seen both one person say they loathe Xar's story and refuse to buy the toy as it seems non-con, while another person said it was the exact reason that they bought the toy in the first place.
Crackers squicks some people out because people say his story is borderline bestiality, while others think it's the feral nature of the story that is the selling point of the toy.
I've even seen people on both sides of the spectrum (love/hate the story) for The Dragon's Tongue as well.
Janine was another that people found controversial, some saying they loved her story while others it really turned them off from looking at the toy.
And so-on. These are just off the top of my head, honestly.

So I definitely understand why they're cutting them out. I wouldn't even call this particular thing "streamlining" since all it's doing is helping people feel more comfortable buying their toys; this includes their current customer base as well.

God knows most people never bought Chance simply because of his sexy stud story. :laugh: And so-on for many, many, many, many (all??) of the toys.

My absolute personal opinion on this, though? The stories were nice; some were hot, and others were fucking dumb, but no matter what they were to me, the moment they're all gone I won't miss them. :nerdy:
But if BD wants to change their minds and keep them (all of them, even the "problematic" ones), then awesome. More short wank material with a bit of a professionalism, because everyone knows finding good smut reading material is almost an oxymoron.
Sabbath

Postby Sabbath » Wed May 17, 2017 7:16 am

I do miss most of the old stories; and I -loved- the story aspect. In fact, I've started a tumblr-blog in fact that will be incorporating my own OC's and stories as a start when reviewing fantasy dongs because I miss seeing stories with BD products.

However; if they do bring them back I would prefer them redo all the stories (maybe keeping the original spirit of the stories though) so they there is not any non-con going on (at least without warnings of such). They've outgrown some of the old writing, so I'd like to see even better stories!
Sandpaper

Postby Sandpaper » Wed May 17, 2017 11:31 am

I think the stories add a lot of personality to the toys, which I think is awesome. I can't say it's a major selling point for me, but it did contribute to me buying more toys for sure! I stayed on the product page way longer than I would have otherwise. Therefore I remembered the toy better, and therefore I decided I wanted to buy it.
Most of these new toys I've spent basically no time on their product pages, even though they look pretty interesting. I've just looked at them, thought they where pretty cool, reminded my self I can't afford it right now, and moved on. No real retention :/
Fae Fantase

Postby Fae Fantase » Wed May 17, 2017 11:39 am

I didn't have a particular affinity for them. Yet they added a sort of charm to the descriptions if they were consensual encounters being written about.
I've sold toys to over 17 different homes.
Harbenz

Postby Harbenz » Wed May 17, 2017 4:12 pm

Honestly I never had interest in the stories, I think is a funny idea for who like these things, but I don't like read erotica (I have homoerotic comics but no for the story :stick: ) and only read the stories of the toys I'm very interested and/or have once I was really into BD, just for curiosity. For me is like read the lyrics of a song you like in a tongue you don't understand, read a bad one don't gonna make me change my feelings, but can pop in my head at the worst moment xD
Resistance is futile.
► Show Spoiler
indenial21

Postby indenial21 » Wed May 17, 2017 10:55 pm

I miss the old stories and blurbs for each character that was released. It gave each toy personality and a sense of uniqueness. Now, it just seems like they're going for something more mainstream, generic, and inoffensive. This may be to appeal to more people, but I find that it just makes the toys less distinct.

Also, it seems weird that the product pages have a lot of space set aside for their descriptions; it just makes the page seem half empty now.

Code: Select all

break;
LJF

Postby LJF » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:26 am

So, it seems this thread may have influenced BD to introduce Fantasy Mode (which I just found out about!)
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 17.28.14.png
Ghost_the_Crow

Postby Ghost_the_Crow » Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:34 am

LJF wrote:So, it seems this thread may have influenced BD to introduce Fantasy Mode (which I just found out about!)
Screen Shot 2017-11-24 at 17.28.14.png

Yea that should be there since the sites rework a couple months ago.
Asexual / Gyneromantic / Probably Trans or Genderfluid(?) / Loves Cuddling

"Of course I know what I'm doing." I said, knowing that I didn't.

Return to “General Discussion”