New Website discussion Thread

Discuss anything related to Bad Dragon here!
mynickname

Re: New Website discussion Thread

Postby mynickname » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:34 pm

ImagineToothless wrote:
Phelvia wrote:
QueenCheetah93 wrote:Terms - This goes along with the above. I don't have as much as a problem with "dildos"... but masturbators? Really? Insertables and penetrables were good descriptive terms that also were very trans and non-binary inclusive. Again, it reads really "sex store" now. I think you guys have been to one too many fetish cons. Not even the kink community talks like this.
Personally I like insertables and penetrables. It sounded neutral. I hate the word dildo and even more, "masturbators". Who knows, maybe this was part of the collab with Kink.com, because, as I said before, the wording on BD is like a low key version now.
I hated those terms. Insertables could mean you insert it into yourself or you insert yourself into it. Penetrable could mean it penetrates you or you penetrate it. They are not newbie friendly terms. Dildos and masturbators are industry standard terms. Anyone looking for sex toys knows what they mean. If you feel those terms are naughty, that's entirely your perception. There's nothing naughty about sex. That perception needs to die.

Personally I think masturbators is too broad and something like sleeves would have been better, but whatever.

In what way is "dildo" offensive to the trans community?
Niah

Postby Niah » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:39 pm

mynickname wrote:
ImagineToothless wrote:
Phelvia wrote:Personally I like insertables and penetrables. It sounded neutral. I hate the word dildo and even more, "masturbators". Who knows, maybe this was part of the collab with Kink.com, because, as I said before, the wording on BD is like a low key version now.
I hated those terms. Insertables could mean you insert it into yourself or you insert yourself into it. Penetrable could mean it penetrates you or you penetrate it. They are not newbie friendly terms. Dildos and masturbators are industry standard terms. Anyone looking for sex toys knows what they mean. If you feel those terms are naughty, that's entirely your perception. There's nothing naughty about sex. That perception needs to die.

I wouldn't describe dildo or masturbator as "naughty" terms, but them coupled with the sleezy wording on the stories and everything else they've done makes it so the atmosphere I, and others, used to get from the old site has greatly changed. I don't mind dirtiness at all, but not when I honestly feel creeped out by the way some stuff has been worded on the site now.

Also:
"Insertable" - able to be inserted.
"Penetrable" - able to be penetrated.

Not that difficult, but whatever. :eyeroll:
31/Asexual/Genderfluid (biologically female).

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
Roverseer2
Banhammered

Postby Roverseer2 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:13 pm

mynickname wrote:
ImagineToothless wrote:
Phelvia wrote:Personally I like insertables and penetrables. It sounded neutral. I hate the word dildo and even more, "masturbators". Who knows, maybe this was part of the collab with Kink.com, because, as I said before, the wording on BD is like a low key version now.

Personally I think masturbators is too broad and something like sleeves would have been better, but whatever.

The problem isn't with dildo, it's with masturbator - the word is generally used in the phrase 'male masturbator', implying one needs to ID as male in order to use it. The industry standard is both words, not just the one, so it still carries that weight. Penetrables is fully neutral, as it's just something you can penetrate. It would have made more sense for the industry to move towards that than for BD to move towards industry.
QueenCheetah93

Postby QueenCheetah93 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:35 pm

Roverseer2 wrote:
mynickname wrote:
ImagineToothless wrote:

The problem isn't with dildo, it's with masturbator - the word is generally used in the phrase 'male masturbator', implying one needs to ID as male in order to use it. The industry standard is both words, not just the one, so it still carries that weight. Penetrables is fully neutral, as it's just something you can penetrate. It would have made more sense for the industry to move towards that than for BD to move towards industry.

And neither of those terms are "gross nasty eww sex" to me. I use "dildo" all the time. XD Good luck as trying to classify me as prudish just because I think a certain term doesn't fit their company image. I'm on a sex toy site - but what used to be a /classy/ sex toy site. Paired with their old vocab, it just... doesn't go.

"I present this unique hand crafted MASTURBATOR, poured with the finest of medical grade silicone."

I've never heard a person use that word in their LIFE. So industry standard is a bit of a stretch (pun intended) :laugh:

Like sleeves is a good descriptive word if you get THAT confused over penetrable and insertable.

As for being nb friendly - "inserting" and "penetrating" are fairly neutral terms. They just sound very classy and high end, with a bonus of not having a history of "two girls use big dildo xxx creampie" or .... well as I said I really have nothing for masturbator.
My Current Collection!
► Show Spoiler

Twin Tail Creations/Damn Average
-Dante the Anubite
-Krampuskitzler
Oddoneout

Postby Oddoneout » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:26 pm

Hey all! Long time lurker here with only a handful of posts to my name. I'm also not the best at articulating my thoughts into writing but here goes.

I do like that the new site looks more modern.

However...the lack of a link to the forum is worrying.
I've bought several toys from BD and while I might not have posted questions on the forum myself I did go searching to see of others had. These forums are a wellspring of information and while some topics or posts might be slow that's not a bad thing.

For site terms, I can understand why they might have changed some of them if they are trying to improve their Search Engine Optimization [SEO], such as insertable to dildo. But the site loses some of its character because of that. The removal of the old stories and toning down/hiding of the furry content does the same thing.

I know the site has only be live for...a week? And from working with the web team at my company I know that changes to a site take time and vary based on complexity. It might look simple to us but that doesn't mean it is.

Edit: Just noticed I haven't updated my toy list I'll have to fix that.
Toys I Own
► Show Spoiler
Anaphora

Postby Anaphora » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 am

I agree that "mashutbators" sounds crude and conjures an image of a cheap online sex toy shop rather than something high quality. Sleeves, as you stated, would work if they think their previous terms were too confusing for new customers.
Squirrelmunk

Postby Squirrelmunk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:18 am

Roverseer2 wrote:
mynickname wrote:
ImagineToothless wrote:

I don't see how masturbator isn't a gender-neutral term. All genders can masturbate.

My qualm with masturbator is it has four syllables, so it's unwieldy. Shorter words are prettier. Penetrable and insertable also have four syllables, so I don't like them, either

QueenCheetah93 wrote:"I present this unique hand crafted MASTURBATOR, poured with the finest of medical grade silicone."

I've never heard a person use that word in their LIFE. So industry standard is a bit of a stretch (pun intended) :laugh:

The common irl word for masturbator is Fleshlight. Problem is, that's a specific company. So many people say Fleshlight when they're talking about a toy made by another company.

Because Fleshlight has dominated the masturbator market for so long, English hasn't developed any good manufacturer-agnostic synonyms.

mynickname wrote:Personally I think masturbators is too broad and something like sleeves would have been better, but whatever.

I associate the term sleeves with wearables/extenders. It's ambiguous at best.
I have a blog, which includes a list of fantasy toy makers.
TheOtherDude

Postby TheOtherDude » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:24 am

"Masturbator" has some stigma to it, at least in my environment. And I personally don't like "Sleeve". "Penetrable" just sounds much more relaxed.
Same goes for "Dildo" and "Insertable".
Cosmic Nebula & Infinity Star
Worshipper of shiny space horse dick
19 pegs / 6 holes / stash of merch & misc

► Show Spoiler
Harbenz

Postby Harbenz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:11 am

Same, but for english words I prefer dildo and stroker. Dildo is becoming common in Spain, thing that I'm giving thanks for it because their street names here are very negatives, literal translation "consolator" and "canned cunt".
Resistance is futile.
► Show Spoiler
Squirrelmunk

Postby Squirrelmunk » Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:59 am

Harbenz wrote:Same, but for english words I prefer dildo and stroker. Dildo is becoming common in Spain, thing that I'm giving thanks for it because their street names here are very negatives, literal translation "consolator" and "canned cunt".

Stroker would be a good alternative. I like it better than masturbator or sleeve or penetrable. It may not be as good as masturbator for seo, though.

... "Canned cunt"??
I have a blog, which includes a list of fantasy toy makers.
Harbenz

Postby Harbenz » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:10 am

Squirrelmunk wrote:... "Canned cunt"??

Yeah, or vagina in a can. Plus consolator, like if there's something to conform, is all very misogynic :angry:
Resistance is futile.
► Show Spoiler
blushingkitten

Postby blushingkitten » Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:38 am

Squirrelmunk wrote:
Harbenz wrote:Same, but for english words I prefer dildo and stroker. Dildo is becoming common in Spain, thing that I'm giving thanks for it because their street names here are very negatives, literal translation "consolator" and "canned cunt".

Stroker would be a good alternative. I like it better than masturbator or sleeve or penetrable. It may not be as good as masturbator for seo, though.

... "Canned cunt"??

It's interesting to me how everybody has different feelings on these words. For me, dildos is neutral and common and expected, and masturbator makes sense. Stroker seems more 'skeevy' to me, and sleeve sounds cheap. Insertable sounds vague, and as if they were too embarrassed / shy to say 'dildo'...

I dunno. I just think, overall, it will be impossible to please everyone. :(
New Discord server for the discussion of toys with a moderated secondhand section. Silicone Soirée
Phelvia

Postby Phelvia » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:00 am

Squirrelmunk wrote:

... "Canned cunt"??

Hahahahaha omg that's hilarious and amazing :laugh:

blushingkitten wrote:
It's interesting to me how everybody has different feelings on these words. For me, dildos is neutral and common and expected, and masturbator makes sense. Stroker seems more 'skeevy' to me, and sleeve sounds cheap. Insertable sounds vague, and as if they were too embarrassed / shy to say 'dildo'...

I dunno. I just think, overall, it will be impossible to please everyone. :(

You know, now that I actually thought about it when I read your comment. Yeah. Like, I'm super fine with the term "cunt" but other people will see that as probably the worst word for vagoo, just like some people are fine with "masturbator" and others aren't.

So, like, point taken xD
Last edited by Phelvia on Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stormrunner

Postby stormrunner » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:04 pm

Long time lurker here, have three BD toys to my name and am in the market for a couple more. The new site looks very slick, but I find the photos hugely less helpful than the old ones were. Taking photos of them laying down on a reflective surface was a huge mistake, in my mind. It doesn't allow you to see much of the shape or size, and the reflection just further muddies things. The 3D model render is now the only way to really get an idea of what a toy looks like. While I miss the photos of several sizes next to each other for comparison, I do appreciate the new real size feature, as well as the ability to easily compare sizes there.

The lack of a link to the forums greatly concerns me. The forums helped me pick my first couple toys, and I continue to read reviews and such on here to guide me towards my next ones. That is, hands down, the largest consideration for me when making a new toy purchase. The BD toys are expensive, so making a mistake in a pick is not something I really want to do (especially with the secondhand forums currently non-functional).
Nyri

Postby Nyri » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 pm

I don't post much, but I wanted to finally voice my feelings about the new site.

Sad to see that there's still no link to the forums... I hope they're not planning on letting them quietly fizzle out. I'm kind of worried that they might have decided that was easiest if they don't want to run them but also don't want to deal with the backlash that kept them from shutting down last time. I'm hoping they're just going to eventually update something on the forum like... rules in the sales section, maybe, before linking it? I've learned so much here and honestly it's probably my favorite part of Bad Dragon. Trying out a new toy is cool, but to me community is better.

The shop itself looks nice. The links at the top make navigation easy unless you want to go to the "clearance" section, which has been talked about a lot and my views on that pretty much echo everyone else's. I don't really love the new angle shots on the shop page, but that's fine since you can see other angles if you click on them and go to their own page which brings me to the 3D viewer and the size comparison things which are both really cool and to me they seem like a good addition (though I'm still using the measurement chart most of the time out of habit). The terminology change isn't my favorite, but it also doesn't ruin the experience for me.

The price change on some of the toys is crazy... there were several toys I was planning on getting once I could afford them, but now I can't see that happening with those particular models.
lizardbreath

Postby lizardbreath » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:23 am

Fruityrumpusasshole wrote:Hmmmm, dunno if it's just me, but I can't seem to get larger pics of the toys from my order history?
Selling a toy and wanted to show the flop of it (can't get a good pic of it) as well as a pic of the toy I just bought.

not just you

i had to ask CS to find the pic of the toy I ordered.
You can have my caffeine when you pry it from my cold dead hands. And possibly not even then.
Pretzal queen!!
pls contact me if you saw anything in my collection you covet :) the worst i can do is say "no"
[
silvring

Postby silvring » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:10 pm

I haven't paid attention in months, but is it just me or did some of the models jump up in price by $50? O_o
Eleka

Postby Eleka » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:22 pm

Oddoneout wrote:However...the lack of a link to the forum is worrying.

stormrunner wrote:The lack of a link to the forums greatly concerns me.

Nyri wrote:Sad to see that there's still no link to the forums... I hope they're not planning on letting them quietly fizzle out.

Errr... apologies if this has already been mentioned, but has anyone else noticed that there is indeed a link to the forum... just not this forum. There's a link to Bad Dragon Reddit at the bottom right hand side of the page, along with a link to Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr and YouTube. Reddit counts as a forum, right?

Perhaps BD are hoping that everyone will just move over to Reddit, as it would seem a bit of an oversight to include a link there but not to their own forums.
:bugeyed:
My Bad Dragon Collection:
► Show Spoiler
Sitahl

Postby Sitahl » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:14 pm

Just noticed that they changed the 'Furry' button to 'Fantasy'

Completely lost 'roots'

:crying:
yuzupo

Postby yuzupo » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:29 pm

Not putting a forum link, but redoing rules here just seems like a "Fuck you guys lol but also Shut Up you're so annoying anyway" kinda move. Besides that,
I'm a newer user here. How have the forums fucked up and irritated BD soo much, they wanted to shut it all down before?
Or am I just being pissy about it and the website setup won't allow a link to the forums due to its design.

Return to “General Discussion”