Two Furry Weirdos Help Thread*Sio*Tsuki*

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Sio

Re: Two Furry Weirdos Help Thread*Sio*Tsuki*

Postby Sio » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:34 pm

Cool our own thread. Tsuki's done a pretty good job of summing up what we do. Personally I'm working on better ways to make heads and eyes such as the Rukario head I'm working on now.
Attachments
RukarioHeadProgress4.JPG
Blackymoon

Postby Blackymoon » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Fuzzyhead! *snugs*
Looks really neat :) Even though the eyes seem to be pretty simplistic, they sure fit nice to the head.
Sio

Postby Sio » Mon Apr 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Blackymoon wrote:Fuzzyhead! *snugs*
Looks really neat :) Even though the eyes seem to be pretty simplistic, they sure fit nice to the head.

Thank you and yes the eyes are quite simplistic. They are made from a plastic bowl with painted irises. Simple but they provide a wonderful effect.
Kira Swiftpaw

Postby Kira Swiftpaw » Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:25 pm

I'll toss my two pesos in here just because..

I've learned most of what I know from SPark.. she even has a basic tutorial..

http://www.sparkcostumes.com/

As for fur.. there are a few places I shop..

http://www.usaknit.us.com/default.asp - Direct sellers of Monterey Mills furs.. top grade stuff here..

http://www.distinctivefabric.com/ - Cool furs can be found here!

Though I don't know why I'm letting out my secrets.. then again, no one buys stuff from me anyway. =P

>_-_<
Fursona: Kira Swiftpaw, white and blue striped tigsune!
Taydus

Postby Taydus » Mon Apr 20, 2009 5:23 pm

I've been meaning to make a fursuit for a while now, but I've simply had other things come up, and the planned trip to anthrocon got canceled... So yeah I never got around to it. I plan to go to anthrocon NEXT year, so I have a year to make this costume, and when I get around to it, unless I'me being stupid I don't think it will take me too long.

I have an idea of what I'm going to make, and most likely where I'll get my fur. Plus I have no issues with sewing or the like.

My main issue is, I really dislike overly cartoony fursuits. I have an annoying tendency to go for as close to realism as I can, or a representation of what something would look if it were real. Meaning I'd want to make a suit which firstly hugged my body, and then a mask which was a partial reworking of my own face to be properly furry. The mask I won't have issue with since I'll pretty much sculpt the thing out of clay over a life cast of my face like this guy did for this freddy mask:
http://fc00.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/ ... he_imp.jpg

Then make the mask with fur and latex to fit my face and end up as close to proper anthro as I can. Thankfully I can get all the materials I need for this from the same supplier Weta uses here in NZ, and get a student discount ^^ (bar the fur).

Then my issue rests with the suit itself. Every suit I've seen is loose and baggy as hell, and I'm curious if thats an actual preference or is it hard to make a proper body hugging suit? Even here I have an idea of what I want to make, it's just I wonder as to how if at all it would work. That aside, I plan to get a bunch of fur lengths for various parts of the suit, and ideally get some which fairly long fur which I can trim and give texture too as well as dye slightly for further added realism.

Then for the tail... I'm actually thinking about getting an old remote control car and turning the controls and inner drive/steering system so I have control of the tail! I would rebuild the remote to be smaller and partly hidden in my hand or somehow hidden and have the buttons built into the hand or something. It all depends on the actual circuits I have to deal with in the controller, but generally I should be able to make something workable out of it, and then the actual tail itself gives me a lot of room to hide all the stuff so that part won't be an issue.

Anyway, random tangents aside, I'm not fully sure how any or all of that will work, but the baggy/body hugging design aspect still bugs me. I'd never let myself live it down if I had to make it baggy, but I'm not sure if tight would work. :(

Also, I tend to type too much and go off on tangents, you'll have to forgive me. :(
Sio

Postby Sio » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:32 am

A perfectly fitted suit will not impede your movement or the experience of being in a suit as long as you have the right fur. Actually a fitted body suit is more comfortable than a baggy one bacause it fits like a second skin. Most people go for baggy suits because they are easier to make. For one thing you can buy a regular costume jumpsuit pattern, sew it together and then you have a body. These patterns are never properly fitted and most of the time have many flaws for certain individuals (ie. hight, width, arm/leg length, ect.). If you want a fitted suit you can use these patterns but tapper the suit before yout final sewing. Often this is a difficult process due to complications with the crotch and underarms which are areas the patterns normally say not to touch because if they are tappered incorrectly you can experience mobility problems like 'you can't bend over' or 'you can't lift your arms up'. Also this requires two people to do because you need to be in the suit while it's being tappered. My Toboe suit is almost perfectly fitted but I left a bit of bulk so that the head didn't seem to big. Here's a picture-
Attachments
ToboeFursuit.JPG
Last edited by Sio on Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sio

Postby Sio » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:33 am

Tsukiyomi-sakura wrote:Meow

Nya playin' with my emo scarf~
Taydus

Postby Taydus » Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:38 am

I'll just have to play around with it. I'm going to buying a full body mannequin for another project, so I can always use that to build most of the suit on since I'm buying one that is the same size as me. I have a lot of wild plans for what to make for my suit... but we'll see how they all work out.

One major thing is I want the suit usable for sex... which shouldn't be too hard. I have some interesting ideas to make that work.

EDIT: BTW Rukario, is one sexy pokemon. Mmmm.
Freon Dragon

Postby Freon Dragon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:00 pm

Taydus wrote:I'm going to buying a full body mannequin for another project, so I can always use that to build most of the suit on since I'm buying one that is the same size as me.

I believe that a Duct Tape Dummy would be better. It would be EXACTLY your size and would be alot cheaper.
Order #11298 - Breeder - Medium, Medium (5), Custom Fade/Split, Suction Cup - Review
Ssarith

Postby Ssarith » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:29 pm

Maybe it's not true for your area, but duct tape is stupidly expensive around here, probably because of the high demand we rednecks have for it. I mean, how else can I keep pieces of my car from falling off whilst driving 90mph down the highway in the rain.
Freon Dragon

Postby Freon Dragon » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:54 pm

I didn't say it was cheap, but I bet that a custom made mannequin would cost alot more. Or even a common one with quality design and material.

Plus, good fursuits usually cost over $1k to make and I think it's in the user's best interest that it's just the perfect size. One or two hundred bucks in duct tape would be justifiable then.
Order #11298 - Breeder - Medium, Medium (5), Custom Fade/Split, Suction Cup - Review
Sio

Postby Sio » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Tsukiyomi-sakura wrote:Sio You sure It perfectly fitted :o I remember you being A LOT smaller then that!

I can pick her up with one arm <3

It's larger than me but it's not baggy :P and you know how small I am X3

Tsukiyomi-sakura wrote:Also, When I said It impedes your movements It might just be me and My breasts, I find unless I bind I can't move in a fitted suit (without feeling discomfort in my chest)or breathe! So I think It may just be me, Time to go get some tenser bandages!

Also One thing fur has come along way with is how the back side of it feels, A few years ago I was itchy and now It's nice and soft.

Yes I suppose size in bust would be a problem [not that I would know lol] but adding a bit more fabric to creat a 'fitted bulk' would give you the freedom and comfort in the chest that you'd need for a perfectly fitted suit.
And yes fur has come a long way.
Taydus

Postby Taydus » Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:31 am

Freon Hotshot wrote:I didn't say it was cheap, but I bet that a custom made mannequin would cost alot more. Or even a common one with quality design and material.

Plus, good fursuits usually cost over $1k to make and I think it's in the user's best interest that it's just the perfect size. One or two hundred bucks in duct tape would be justifiable then.

The mannequin i'm getting will cost me only about 100-200, so it's worth getting over making once since I can use it for many other projects. It's not a custom made one, it's just an old store mannequin in good condition which is the same size as me and isn't in any weird position. I mainly need it for my armor project, but I plan to reuse for my fursuit, and what ever other costume ideas come to mind.

As for the sheath and stuff. I'm not too horrible at sewing and basic tailoring, so I should be ok making it myself. I have a pattern idea which should work, and a few little ideas for mindless details which should add to the look and feel. EVENTUALLY, when I do get to working on this (after my current project), I'll make sure to post pics.

My only concern is working with fur, since that's a new territory for me.
Reese

Postby Reese » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:34 pm

If the duct tape dummy is putting a lot of pressure on you, you're doing it wrong; it shouldn't be tighter than your own skin.

and if you can't make an accurate duct tape dummy without another person to, at the very least, tape up your arms.

of course, I've never made one, and I don't intend to; while I'm going to make a suit once I've learned how to sew... I actually found a neat guide on how to make a Zentai suit that can be repurposed to making a body/fur suit (the guide is meant for use with lycra/spandex and has you scale down the dimensions to 2/3, I figure that doing them at full or slightly larger and gettign a hold of 2-way stretch faux fur ought to work well...)
I love the smell of fresh mold release in the morning.
Runa

Postby Runa » Fri May 29, 2009 12:41 pm

yep, there she is, holding my giant cock....dressed in a nazi uniform.
Freon Dragon

Postby Freon Dragon » Fri May 29, 2009 3:01 pm

Tsukiyomi-sakura wrote:Extra examples!

*sits on Tsuki's lap*
:mrgreen:
Gieger61

Postby Gieger61 » Fri May 29, 2009 4:11 pm

Um...is that swastika bling?!
Runa

Postby Runa » Fri May 29, 2009 7:48 pm

yeah, she was cosplaying Rip Van Winkle from Hellsing.
Freon Dragon

Postby Freon Dragon » Fri May 29, 2009 10:15 pm

Tsukiyomi-sakura wrote:If you have a problem with it look at the number of nazi kills compared to the Christain cursades.

Well said ^^

Hitler was a single person rather than a country or a religious movement, that's why he's so notorious.
He was no worse than many people loved by the same who hate him.
Glath

Postby Glath » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:02 pm

Not to put you down or anything... I'd love a case for my toy... but.... could you do something like this?

If not... It's understandable. I'd like to have dragon claw gloves perhaps...
Runa wrote:yep, there she is, holding my giant cock....dressed in a nazi uniform.

... In public no less. That takes balls... (Figuratively speaking of course.)
When I write in normal text Glath is talking.
When I write in light blue text David is talking.

Disclaimer: The whole separate personalities thing is purely for fun, In case you didn't know that by now.
My Formspring. Cause all the cool kids are doing it.

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”