Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Cyanna

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Cyanna » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:17 pm

An update on my situation,
It seems the extra charge was a mistake on their part, but they handled it so badly and never communicated with me so it ended up a huge mess. I sent a few emails which were never replied to and then the second deadline came around so I had to begrudgingly pay up. A few days later I got a revised bill with no extra fee, but I had already paid! I was not a happy bunny but figured it wasn't worth pursuing any more so I just dropped it.

Since then I had the fees posted to me normally, but like you guys I didn't get one for my last order, not that I'm complaining.

I've already decided FedEx are the devil and won't be having any business with them except that I can't avoid, I would love it if BD would use other, more reliable couriers but that's not likely to happen.
TFox

Postby TFox » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:13 am

Cyanna wrote:An update on my situation,
It seems the extra charge was a mistake on their part, but they handled it so badly and never communicated with me so it ended up a huge mess. I sent a few emails which were never replied to and then the second deadline came around so I had to begrudgingly pay up. A few days later I got a revised bill with no extra fee, but I had already paid! I was not a happy bunny but figured it wasn't worth pursuing any more so I just dropped it.

Since then I had the fees posted to me normally, but like you guys I didn't get one for my last order, not that I'm complaining.

I've already decided FedEx are the devil and won't be having any business with them except that I can't avoid, I would love it if BD would use other, more reliable couriers but that's not likely to happen.

I'd love to see them use DHL which is the ones Amazon uses internationally I believe. I've have pretty great experience with DHL when I bought something from Amazon where a large 13kg (28lbs) package was delivered in just two days (shipped Monday, delivered Wednesday morning) all the way from California to me in northern Europe (Sweden). They also called me to make sure I was available before trying to deliver. This was also without paying the extra $100 for express delivery! Also there were no additional fees!

That's half the time Fedex has ever managed the same distance for a very reasonable shipping free as the shipping was just like ~$25 more for a 28lb box the length of maybe 3 XL Chances combined!
    Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image
Khell_Sennet

Postby Khell_Sennet » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:36 pm

Can anyone tell me how much in extra fees they charge shipping into Canada? A guesstimate would work, my hope is to get a sizable toy, some bottles of lube, and maybe the firmness samples, but when the checkout cost isn't the final cost, I worry.

One of my biggest causes for hesitation with online shopping is the unknown charges from customs and shipping. Half of the time what I thought would be a great deal ended up costing more than just buying Canadian-online or brick-and-mortar retail. But other products I buy end up without any additional charges (some times not even the GST). And you can't get an honest answer from parcel couriers, Customs Canada, or often even the company you buy from, so it's just such a crap-shoot to order international.
alemon

Postby alemon » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:15 am

I'm a resident of Canada and just received my 2nd order from this website :canada: The first order I placed was in August 2014, and at that time I wasn't aware that you could set up a Fedex account in order to avoid some fees.

I placed my order and it arrived quickly a few days later. The Fedex man arrived, obtained a signature from me, and I also had to pay to him the 40$ import duty fees that Fedex took care for me. Okay, no big deal: it was clearly stated during BD's billing process to expect such fees.

Now, I have set up a Fedex account and registered my credit card on it, in order to do what the OP of this thread says. I placed my 2nd order during the holiday sale, then sent a ticket to the dragons afterward with my Fedex account number. The order arrived a month later, just a few days ago.

Now, the reason of my post is that, this time, the handsome Fedex guy didn't require payment from me! Only my signature, just as expected. However, on Fedex's website I cannot find an invoice anywhere for the import duty fees, and no fees have been charged whatsoever to my credit card as of now... I also cannot find my Fedex account # anywhere on the paper bill that was included in the package.

Did I just magically get out of ~40$ duty fees? Should I expect an invoice in my mail box in the following days? Did the dragons forget to put my account # on the package? Some of you are claiming to not have received a bill for those fees at all :shock: Maybe one of the staff members could enlighten us if there was a recent change in the policies of international deliveries?

I will let you guys know if I do get a bill for these fees.
TFox

Postby TFox » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:03 pm

alemon wrote:I'm a resident of Canada and just received my 2nd order from this website :canada: The first order I placed was in August 2014, and at that time I wasn't aware that you could set up a Fedex account in order to avoid some fees.

I placed my order and it arrived quickly a few days later. The Fedex man arrived, obtained a signature from me, and I also had to pay to him the 40$ import duty fees that Fedex took care for me. Okay, no big deal: it was clearly stated during BD's billing process to expect such fees.

Now, I have set up a Fedex account and registered my credit card on it, in order to do what the OP of this thread says. I placed my 2nd order during the holiday sale, then sent a ticket to the dragons afterward with my Fedex account number. The order arrived a month later, just a few days ago.

Now, the reason of my post is that, this time, the handsome Fedex guy didn't require payment from me! Only my signature, just as expected. However, on Fedex's website I cannot find an invoice anywhere for the import duty fees, and no fees have been charged whatsoever to my credit card as of now... I also cannot find my Fedex account # anywhere on the paper bill that was included in the package.

Did I just magically get out of ~40$ duty fees? Should I expect an invoice in my mail box in the following days? Did the dragons forget to put my account # on the package? Some of you are claiming to not have received a bill for those fees at all :shock: Maybe one of the staff members could enlighten us if there was a recent change in the policies of international deliveries?

I will let you guys know if I do get a bill for these fees.

I haven't tried this yet but might do so for my next purchase. That said, somehow I never got billed for my last purchase the way I normally do. I suspected either they've had some issues or it's something to do with the year shift or something?
    Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image
radmotion

Postby radmotion » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:00 am

Australia here.
DEAR AUSTRALIANS-
I am a Victorian member and i have received NO TAXES / FEES on my order.
I believe we are free from all taxation on these products, However this is JUST MY EXPERIENCE.
(and the first experience) Hope this is useful.
Chibity

Postby Chibity » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:31 am

I didn't receive any fee's from my Black Friday sale order either, which came in around the beginning of December. I can't remember the exact day...

And I'm Canadian and such. I've been trying to find the news article or something that addresses maybe a change in their fee system, or whatever's going on, 'cause it seems like a lot of people lately are announcing that they've been fee-free with all their recent orders.

I'm happy, for sure! But... what's up? :P
ImageImage Image
Designer of Kage the Anomaly -- Forum / Labs -- Ͼ Art Tumblr Ͽ
kingsley

Postby kingsley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:50 am

Chibity wrote:I didn't receive any fee's from my Black Friday sale order either, which came in around the beginning of December. I can't remember the exact day...

And I'm Canadian and such. I've been trying to find the news article or something that addresses maybe a change in their fee system, or whatever's going on, 'cause it seems like a lot of people lately are announcing that they've been fee-free with all their recent orders.

I'm happy, for sure! But... what's up? :P

I've still to hear anything about any customs fees on any of my orders.

have the shipping fees changed? maybe BD decided to just pay the fees and add it to that so people don't have to pay FedEx that $10 fee for taking care of it...
Image Image Image Image Image Image
those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Chibity

Postby Chibity » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:02 pm

kingsley wrote:have the shipping fees changed? maybe BD decided to just pay the fees and add it to that so people don't have to pay FedEx that $10 fee for taking care of it...

Perhaps there were several issues of people refusing to pay the international fees (though it's really OUR responsibility to do so if our customs laws say so), and if a lot of people did, then all those toys would be sent riiight back to BD. Sale fail.

It's unfortunate, because it's really not BD's fault, but perhaps that's the kind of thing they were getting tired of seeing.
ImageImage Image
Designer of Kage the Anomaly -- Forum / Labs -- Ͼ Art Tumblr Ͽ
kingsley

Postby kingsley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:55 pm

could be, but overall it seems easier and cheeper for BD to just figure out the fees and add them to the shipping charge.
threarah

Postby threarah » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:25 pm

kingsley wrote:could be, but overall it seems easier and cheeper for BD to just figure out the fees and add them to the shipping charge.

The problem it might depend on currency exchanges at the time? I don't know if they add on VAT/Customs before or after they change the currency, which changes every time a politician sneezes I swear.
kingsley

Postby kingsley » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:44 pm

threarah wrote:
kingsley wrote:could be, but overall it seems easier and cheeper for BD to just figure out the fees and add them to the shipping charge.

The problem it might depend on currency exchanges at the time? I don't know if they add on VAT/Customs before or after they change the currency, which changes every time a politician sneezes I swear.

It would be the currency of whatever country is charging the fee I'd imagine. so probably import fees would be in the currency of the country they are being imported into, but the transaction can still be set up so either the importer or exporter pays the fees. :stick:
fretsey

delete

Postby fretsey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:35 pm

delete this please
Last edited by fretsey on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
kingsley

Postby kingsley » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:44 pm

fretsey wrote: :words:

wait, so you didn't get fees...
then you made a FedEx account and they charged you fees?
:laugh:
fretsey

Postby fretsey » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:31 pm

kingsley wrote:
fretsey wrote: :words:

wait, so you didn't get fees...
then you made a FedEx account and they charged you fees?
:laugh:

Yup....I should have kept my mouth shut..lol :aaaaa:

I just didn't want to get a bunch of surprise invoices..some people have. :geek:
BadBear

Postby BadBear » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:00 am

Today I received a invoice; a bill from Fedex for £23.78, dated April 6th a week or so after the time I got my package. It's now the 20th and I had already tried my new toy, figured out I didn't enjoy it, and sold it on and forgotten all about it!

Usually when I get custom charges, the package is held and I pay a small fee to get it; where I can either pay online to get it delivered or go pick it up and go pay in person. The fee is also usually small, around £10. But this only happens with some specific suppliers, and I have ALWAYS been warned about additional fees before perches.

So I'm not gonna lie, I'm really pissed BD does not warn about the additional fees before perches. Frankly, when I pay $30.18 for shipping, I do not expect to pay MORE on top of that. Considering BD's luxury prices, plus the cost of shipping.. to be honest, the additional fees on top of that has put me off from buying any more from BD at all.

There is defiantly better shipping options available, because I have received plenty of packages from the US where I have paid NOTHING extra (for much cheaper shipping costs I might add!), or very little for larger items.

Today I got a bunch of other bad mail too, so I'm super pissed about this.

:britain:
Cybergoth

Postby Cybergoth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:40 am

BadBear wrote:Today I received a invoice; a bill from Fedex for £23.78, dated April 6th a week or so after the time I got my package. It's now the 20th and I had already tried my new toy, figured out I didn't enjoy it, and sold it on and forgotten all about it!

Usually when I get custom charges, the package is held and I pay a small fee to get it; where I can either pay online to get it delivered or go pick it up and go pay in person. The fee is also usually small, around £10. But this only happens with some specific suppliers, and I have ALWAYS been warned about additional fees before perches.

So I'm not gonna lie, I'm really pissed BD does not warn about the additional fees before perches. Frankly, when I pay $30.18 for shipping, I do not expect to pay MORE on top of that. Considering BD's luxury prices, plus the cost of shipping.. to be honest, the additional fees on top of that has put me off from buying any more from BD at all.

There is defiantly better shipping options available, because I have received plenty of packages from the US where I have paid NOTHING extra (for much cheaper shipping costs I might add!), or very little for larger items.

Its not about the shipping rate/company/etc you pay that determines whether you get charges or not. No matter what you buy, or what delivery service they use, If you are in the UK buying from outside the EU, anything over £15 in value is at risk of being caught by customs and excise and being charged for VAT and import duty. The onus is always on you the buyer to be aware of this and expect to deal with the associated costs of import if your package is pulled.

Also, whenever I have ever purchased from BD, on the page AFTER I input my address, the following warning come up at the next stage before I complete purchase.

Important note: FedEx International will send you an invoice for the cost of customs clearance of your package after they deliver it, as opposed to other carriers which require you to pay customs duty in advance. Customs duties for international orders vary based on your country's import duty rules.

So you ARE made aware, and even about how FedEx operates, which is to make sure your packages doesn't get held.
BadBear

Postby BadBear » Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:33 am

Cybergoth wrote:Its not about the shipping rate/company/etc you pay that determines whether you get charges or not. No matter what you buy, or what delivery service they use, If you are in the UK buying from outside the EU, anything over £15 in value is at risk of being caught by customs and excise and being charged for VAT and import duty. The onus is always on you the buyer to be aware of this and expect to deal with the associated costs of import if your package is pulled.

Also, whenever I have ever purchased from BD, on the page AFTER I input my address, the following warning come up at the next stage before I complete purchase.

Important note: FedEx International will send you an invoice for the cost of customs clearance of your package after they deliver it, as opposed to other carriers which require you to pay customs duty in advance. Customs duties for international orders vary based on your country's import duty rules.

So you ARE made aware, and even about how FedEx operates, which is to make sure your packages doesn't get held.

I guess the fault is on me then, I didn't notice the warning on my checkout, but you're right it is there, so that's my bad.
That aside though, I would actually prefer to pay before I get my deliveries as that's what I'm used to doing and it made it more of a shock when I got the invoice from Fedex. To be honest I almost dismissed it as a delayed billing form before I read it properly, which would have resulted in more fees later for not paying.

I'm still pretty baffled as to what gets charged import and what doesn't, or how much. I've had a large number of import from the US and other countries, from different sellers and for a huge range of items and their cost. But it's pretty rare I get import tax and rarer still that it's above £10 or so. It might just be a coincidence then, but I feel like when I've used bigger companies like Fedex for mailing I end up with tax to pay.
Cybergoth

Postby Cybergoth » Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 am

BadBear wrote:I guess the fault is on me then, I didn't notice the warning on my checkout, but you're right it is there, so that's my bad.
That aside though, I would actually prefer to pay before I get my deliveries as that's what I'm used to doing and it made it more of a shock when I got the invoice from Fedex. To be honest I almost dismissed it as a delayed billing form before I read it properly, which would have resulted in more fees later for not paying.

I'm still pretty baffled as to what gets charged import and what doesn't, or how much. I've had a large number of import from the US and other countries, from different sellers and for a huge range of items and their cost. But it's pretty rare I get import tax and rarer still that it's above £10 or so. It might just be a coincidence then, but I feel like when I've used bigger companies like Fedex for mailing I end up with tax to pay.

You are quite right, its incredibly random what gets caught and what gets charged. The rule is that everything with a value over £15 (that is marked so, its a different amount if its marked gift, but its illegal to do so when its not a gift) coming from outside the EU has VAT and depending on value, duty to pay as well. But its very random what gets through and what doesn't. Its very much like a spot check system. Personal experience has told me that the chances of getting caught out are much lower around christmas (Dec/Jan). I did a lot of ordering in that period from BD then and nothing got caught, and the same has been true in other years for things all over the place and lots of different companies. My two orders since then have been hit.

I believe you are right that a big company like FedEx does get a higher hit rate at customs, because the way they work means there is a dedicated channel for their parcels at airports, and the likelihood of them being commercial and imports is higher, so the customs people target them more.

As for costs being higher, that depends on the handler. For example FedEx's charge for paying your customs for you to get it to you quickly is £12 (was on my last invoice last month). If it went through into our postal service into parcel force, its also £12, but they hold your mail for you to pay the fee before they release it to you. Royal Mail is the same but its £8. So the carrier charge does differ wildly!

The actual charge is broken down as follows
VAT is charged on item values of £15 and over @ 20% of the item value (unless it has an unusual VAT code) and the bit that gets my goat is that they INCLUDE the value of the postage in that calculation.
Customs Duty is charged on item values of £135. And then depends wildly on what the goods are as to what they charge you.

And I realise I know waaaaaay too much about this subject XD
TFox

Postby TFox » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:51 am

BadBear wrote:Usually when I get custom charges, the package is held and I pay a small fee to get it; where I can either pay online to get it delivered or go pick it up and go pay in person. The fee is also usually small, around £10. But this only happens with some specific suppliers, and I have ALWAYS been warned about additional fees before perches.

Excuse me but, they actually did but you probably weren't paying attention.
Capture.JPG

Also, you pretty much always have to pay a fee when buying from outside the EU due to how the European Union works with import taxes and all that. I'm not sure what the exact numbers and regulations are in the UK but those £10 sounds like it's just the administration fee and the rest is import tax (usually between 15-25% depending on the product in most countries). Even if you don't see it you do pay it as some sellers include the extra taxes in their list prices, you may have heard of something called "VAT"? That's what I'm talking about. Whether it's included in the price or not is up to the seller but BD has decided to let Fedex handle it, likely because it's a LOT of extra work to keep track of all the rates and numbers associated with countries.

Sometimes you may get out of it because the customs office didn't do their job properly and let it through without charge or the seller told them it cost something different than what you actually paid or that it's a gift so that you won't be charged as much if anything. This though is in the gray zone of the law and thus not always entirely legal. BD's standpoint is to be as straighforward as possible to stay on the right side of the law, and thus they take the necessary precautions to make sure they're out of trouble instead of playing in the gray zone. This does mean things sometimes cost a little more but does also mean you can be sure that they try and follow all the rulings and regulations and good as they can. And I have pretty good (second hand) experience through my family with self-run businesses and how it can be costly and troublesome to follow rules and regulations but is still good because you're always sure your in the good.. It's bit like an annoying game DRM but in real life.

Sure I'd too like to see some more shipping options but you can't blame BD for your own ignorance :psyduck:

And please do elaborate what you mean by "bad mail" and why you think BD has anything to do with it.

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”