Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
User avatar
BadBear
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:30 am
Gender: Female
Location: York, UK

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby BadBear » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:49 pm

Cybergoth wrote:You are quite right, its incredibly random what gets caught and what gets charged. The rule is that everything with a value over £15 (that is marked so, its a different amount if its marked gift, but its illegal to do so when its not a gift) coming from outside the EU has VAT and depending on value, duty to pay as well. But its very random what gets through and what doesn't. Its very much like a spot check system. Personal experience has told me that the chances of getting caught out are much lower around christmas (Dec/Jan). I did a lot of ordering in that period from BD then and nothing got caught, and the same has been true in other years for things all over the place and lots of different companies. My two orders since then have been hit.

I believe you are right that a big company like FedEx does get a higher hit rate at customs, because the way they work means there is a dedicated channel for their parcels at airports, and the likelihood of them being commercial and imports is higher, so the customs people target them more.

As for costs being higher, that depends on the handler. For example FedEx's charge for paying your customs for you to get it to you quickly is £12 (was on my last invoice last month). If it went through into our postal service into parcel force, its also £12, but they hold your mail for you to pay the fee before they release it to you. Royal Mail is the same but its £8. So the carrier charge does differ wildly!

The actual charge is broken down as follows
VAT is charged on item values of £15 and over @ 20% of the item value (unless it has an unusual VAT code) and the bit that gets my goat is that they INCLUDE the value of the postage in that calculation.
Customs Duty is charged on item values of £135. And then depends wildly on what the goods are as to what they charge you.

And I realise I know waaaaaay too much about this subject XD


Well thank you for all that information, I for one am glad you could share it, as it's helped me understand some things a little better.

TFox wrote:Excuse me but, they actually did but you probably weren't paying attention.
Sure I'd too like to see some more shipping options but you can't blame BD for your own ignorance :psyduck:

And please do elaborate what you mean by "bad mail" and why you think BD has anything to do with it.


As I've already said, it was my bad for not noticing the warning. You didn't need to make a dig at me for it, because honestly you sound kinda condescending and mean about it. I was having a shitty day, like the other unpleasant things I got in the mail that day and other personal issues- as I mentioned other "bad mail". Sorry I said something wrong on the internet everyone. I'm thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed, so there no need for further comments.
User avatar
Cybergoth
Posts: 524
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:25 am
Gender: Female
Location: UK

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Cybergoth » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:21 am

BadBear wrote:Well thank you for all that information, I for one am glad you could share it, as it's helped me understand some things a little better.


You are most welcome! Its an easy mistake to make and certainly here in the UK, the government don't make the information easy to find or very available. You don't often know the rules until you hunt for them after being stung. I do think that TFox jumped down your throat a bit, especially after you'd admitted your mistake. You just vented a bit and we all do from time to time. No need to feel ashamed.
User avatar
kingsley
Posts: 2916
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:16 pm
Gender: male
Location: canada

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby kingsley » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:00 am

mistakes happen, lets all just take a deep breath and calm down. ;)
Image Image Image Image Image Image
those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
User avatar
TFox
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:26 am
Gender: Male
Location: Sweden

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby TFox » Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:08 am

BadBear wrote:As I've already said, it was my bad for not noticing the warning. You didn't need to make a dig at me for it, because honestly you sound kinda condescending and mean about it. I was having a shitty day, like the other unpleasant things I got in the mail that day and other personal issues- as I mentioned other "bad mail". Sorry I said something wrong on the internet everyone. I'm thoroughly embarrassed and ashamed, so there no need for further comments.

Cybergoth wrote: I do think that TFox jumped down your throat a bit, especially after you'd admitted your mistake.

Guess that's my own fault for not reading the rest of the thread prior to replying :tinfoil:
    Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image
Image
User avatar
Andromeda
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:17 am
Gender: Grill

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Andromeda » Mon May 11, 2015 11:51 am

I'm trying to make an account but it says to apply for a shipping account and they will call me the next day to discuss it... Is this right?
Image
User avatar
threarah
Posts: 371
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:26 pm
Gender: Girl/Female (Asexual)
Location: England/UK

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby threarah » Mon May 18, 2015 7:00 am

I've just been smacked with a fee from January. Only know about it because they sent a warning letter telling me I hadn't paid it, even though I'd never received a letter telling me I had to pay it in the first place.

So, that's put a bit of a surprise dent in my bank account. How the hell do you manage to send a letter to the wrong place, or not at all, when it's an invoice for 40 odd quid!? Still, kind of a post to let people know there is a bit of a safety net in place if you miss an invoice.
Image
alemon
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:07 am
Location: Québec, Canada

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby alemon » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:33 am

Hello. I am that Canadian guy who didn't get that extra Fedex fee. I still haven't received anything :highfive:

threarah wrote:I've just been smacked with a fee from January. Only know about it because they sent a warning letter telling me I hadn't paid it, even though I'd never received a letter telling me I had to pay it in the first place.

So, that's put a bit of a surprise dent in my bank account. How the hell do you manage to send a letter to the wrong place, or not at all, when it's an invoice for 40 odd quid!? Still, kind of a post to let people know there is a bit of a safety net in place if you miss an invoice.


uh oh :psyduck:
fifamaxth
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jul 12, 2015 5:42 pm
Contact:

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby fifamaxth » Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:06 pm

yes, I know
fifa 15 coins | rs 2007 gold
User avatar
BadBear
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:30 am
Gender: Female
Location: York, UK

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby BadBear » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Recently I ordered myself a new toy from BD using $30 store credit to reduce the price. The idea hit me that if you bought a toy using store credit, wouldn't it technically be no money spent and so a gift? Wouldn't that reduce the amount of import tax? I vaguely remember a different purchase from another foreign company where I'd used credit instead of cash, and I remember there was no import tax at all (though that could be that it simply wasn't picked for import tax).

I send BD a ticket to ask if they knew if the store credit would effect the import tax. The response I got;
As far as I know, you will still be taxed on the full amount due on the invoice. This has mostly everything to do with your countries Customs department, and how they process information given to them. We have no control over this, unfortunately. :(

Now, I've since got my order, and while I'm waiting for a bill from Fedex, I remembered all this... And I no longer have my invoice since it's been thrown out, but if I remember correctly, there was NO mention of the store credit or discount on the invoice. IF I remember correctly...

Now, this is why I'm posting this here. I'm not sure if this is right, but it seems to me that if the store credit was on the invoice, then surely it'd reduce the total cost, and thus the import tax? In this theory, you could purchase your BD toys with store credit and either no longer have import tax, or have minimal import tax?... or would that be illigal or something? Because atm I'm really hoping I've found a loophole, but also a little flustered that I think BD don't include the discount in the invoice?!

I should probably send another ticket if you guys can't answer this :psyduck:
User avatar
Arumaeruma
Posts: 3353
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:45 pm
Gender: Female- Bisexual

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Arumaeruma » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:46 pm

BadBear wrote:Recently I ordered myself a new toy from BD using $30 store credit to reduce the price. The idea hit me that if you bought a toy using store credit, wouldn't it technically be no money spent and so a gift? Wouldn't that reduce the amount of import tax? I vaguely remember a different purchase from another foreign company where I'd used credit instead of cash, and I remember there was no import tax at all (though that could be that it simply wasn't picked for import tax).

I send BD a ticket to ask if they knew if the store credit would effect the import tax. The response I got;
As far as I know, you will still be taxed on the full amount due on the invoice. This has mostly everything to do with your countries Customs department, and how they process information given to them. We have no control over this, unfortunately. :(

Now, I've since got my order, and while I'm waiting for a bill from Fedex, I remembered all this... And I no longer have my invoice since it's been thrown out, but if I remember correctly, there was NO mention of the store credit or discount on the invoice. IF I remember correctly...

Now, this is why I'm posting this here. I'm not sure if this is right, but it seems to me that if the store credit was on the invoice, then surely it'd reduce the total cost, and thus the import tax? In this theory, you could purchase your BD toys with store credit and either no longer have import tax, or have minimal import tax?... or would that be illigal or something? Because atm I'm really hoping I've found a loophole, but also a little flustered that I think BD don't include the discount in the invoice?!

I should probably send another ticket if you guys can't answer this :psyduck:


I don't know the answer myself, but I think BD doesn't include the store credit in the invoice because it's a form of payment, and thus, doesn't detract from the original cost or value of the item. I can go to a retail store, say Target, and have a 5 dollar gift card from the store. If I use that to pay, then cash for the rest, the original value of my purchase isn't decreased, I just used the store credit as a payment. A 100 dollar dildo will still be 100 dollars even if you only have to pay 70 dollars of your own money, the 30 dollars still count as a form of payment.
User avatar
BadBear
Posts: 284
Joined: Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:30 am
Gender: Female
Location: York, UK

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby BadBear » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:02 pm

Arumaeruma wrote:I don't know the answer myself, but I think BD doesn't include the store credit in the invoice because it's a form of payment, and thus, doesn't detract from the original cost or value of the item. I can go to a retail store, say Target, and have a 5 dollar gift card from the store. If I use that to pay, then cash for the rest, the original value of my purchase isn't decreased, I just used the store credit as a payment. A 100 dollar dildo will still be 100 dollars even if you only have to pay 70 dollars of your own money, the 30 dollars still count as a form of payment.


Ah.. darn, that makes sense XP
I guess it was just wishful thinking on my part, hoping that it would somehow decrease the value or class it as a gift.
User avatar
TFox
Posts: 563
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:26 am
Gender: Male
Location: Sweden

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby TFox » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:00 am

BadBear wrote:Recently I ordered myself a new toy from BD using $30 store credit to reduce the price. The idea hit me that if you bought a toy using store credit, wouldn't it technically be no money spent and so a gift? Wouldn't that reduce the amount of import tax?

I've always considered store credit not to be like a discount but an alternate form of payment. The closest comparison would probably be a store gift card. Even if it's not your own money spent, the store credit still is that -credit, meaning it has a monetary value within the BD shop.

A gift would rather be BD sending you a toy for free out of sheer kindness.
    Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image   Image
Image
SnakesShadow
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:09 am
Gender: Unstable (will go with female for simplicity)

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby SnakesShadow » Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:11 am

TFox wrote:
Cyanna wrote:An update on my situation,
It seems the extra charge was a mistake on their part, but they handled it so badly and never communicated with me so it ended up a huge mess. I sent a few emails which were never replied to and then the second deadline came around so I had to begrudgingly pay up. A few days later I got a revised bill with no extra fee, but I had already paid! I was not a happy bunny but figured it wasn't worth pursuing any more so I just dropped it.

Since then I had the fees posted to me normally, but like you guys I didn't get one for my last order, not that I'm complaining.

I've already decided FedEx are the devil and won't be having any business with them except that I can't avoid, I would love it if BD would use other, more reliable couriers but that's not likely to happen.

I'd love to see them use DHL which is the ones Amazon uses internationally I believe. I've have pretty great experience with DHL when I bought something from Amazon where a large 13kg (28lbs) package was delivered in just two days (shipped Monday, delivered Wednesday morning) all the way from California to me in northern Europe (Sweden). They also called me to make sure I was available before trying to deliver. This was also without paying the extra $100 for express delivery! Also there were no additional fees!

That's half the time Fedex has ever managed the same distance for a very reasonable shipping free as the shipping was just like ~$25 more for a 28lb box the length of maybe 3 XL Chances combined!


I have to say that don't like DHL, and I will avoid them whenever possible. I had a tablet mailed USPS to me, and it did not arrive when it should have. Some investigation later, and found out that it had been handed off to DHL, and they kept it for over a WEEK(!!!!!!) before they got off of their asses and sent it on, eventually handing it back to USPS, and trying to pretend that nothing had happened.
I like knots and I can knot lie!
Azerio
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:35 am
Gender: Male

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Azerio » Sun May 29, 2016 6:27 pm

So I'm going to try this to an order to the UK. Will let you all know how it works out.
Greg
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:02 am

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Greg » Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:14 am

Is there no way BD would consider stocking any of their products with some International retailers? (obv not poss with custom orders)...

I've just made my first order, and sad to say with how things stand, my last. Frankly I'd love to order a dozen BD toys but cannot justify the shipping costs!

$36.78 was the cheapest option (UPS) = £26.82
Customs want another £28.77, or $39.46, otherwise they'll send my (non-refundable) 'Adoption' toy back and I'll lose everything.

So it's cost me £55.59 / $76.25 to ship one toy!!!
User avatar
AltheaThune
Posts: 478
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:40 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby AltheaThune » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:13 pm

Greg wrote:Is there no way BD would consider stocking any of their products with some International retailers? (obv not poss with custom orders)...


Either way there would be customs charges to be paid, and if BD had to pay them to ship them to a retailer in the UK or EU, it would surely be reflected in the retail price. Granted, they would save on shipping costs by sending bulk orders, but it would still be expensive. At any rate, it's probably a big hassle that they don't want to have to deal with.
FOR SALE: Mountain Drake (OS/5), Legacy Naga (S/8), Sleipnir (S/5), Sleipnir (Mini/3), Trent (M/5), Tyson (S/5). Additional info in my profile. PM me for details.
User avatar
karla-chan
Posts: 1930
Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 6:27 am
Gender: Female
Location: Manchester, UK
Contact:

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby karla-chan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:53 am

Azerio wrote:So I'm going to try this to an order to the UK. Will let you all know how it works out.


It is so, so worth it. I have had a FedEx account for a few of my orders now. It really does knock off the extra fees. Which does build up over time, since you are saving a good £10-12 GBP each time. It feels less bitter just paying the straight up VAT as well. It is free to have a account with them too, the only difference is they keep your card on record. So they just charge it as it comes into the country.

Greg wrote:Is there no way BD would consider stocking any of their products with some International retailers? (obv not poss with custom orders)...

I've just made my first order, and sad to say with how things stand, my last. Frankly I'd love to order a dozen BD toys but cannot justify the shipping costs!

$36.78 was the cheapest option (UPS) = £26.82
Customs want another £28.77, or $39.46, otherwise they'll send my (non-refundable) 'Adoption' toy back and I'll lose everything.

So it's cost me £55.59 / $76.25 to ship one toy!!!


Well if you use FedEx rather then UPS and get an account with them. You only pay the VAT (20% of value for the UK) on it coming into the country. Not the handling fees. So it saves you a bit of that money each time on customs.

Also if you can, possibly save longer and buy more than just one toy. Then the shipping seems less bad. Since it is so high because it is EMS shipping. Which has a high starting cost, but adding other things to the order add very little extra (if anything) to the cost. So it divides the costs between the items a little bit more, and it makes it seem less bad. I have never personally bought two toys at once, but I have bought other things that I have wanted to make it seem less bad.
User avatar
Flin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:54 am
Gender: male
Location: France

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Flin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:09 pm

And how about duty-free ?
International customers haves to pay the VAT 2 times : 1 time in USA because we buy at the price including the VAT
And a second time as custom fees.
Did BD can make something about that ?
User avatar
Rainbow Dasher
Posts: 10491
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:46 pm

Flin wrote:And how about duty-free ?
International customers haves to pay the VAT 2 times : 1 time in USA because we buy at the price including the VAT
And a second time as custom fees.
Did BD can make something about that ?


BD can't do anything about fees you incur through customs. Customs fees are regulated by your country's import laws.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
User avatar
Flin
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:54 am
Gender: male
Location: France

Re: Getting out of Fedex fees for international packages

Postby Flin » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:03 pm

I know that.

But in Europe, goods for export could be sold excluding VAT (duty-free, like in airports) precisely so that customers do not have to pay twice the same tax.
I don't know if it's possible in USA, but if yes Only BD can do something to sell without tax ( including VAT for domestics sales, excluding VAT for export sales)

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests