Dick Soup Question. :D

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Shadowcat

Dick Soup Question. :D

Postby Shadowcat » Wed May 28, 2014 4:26 pm

I just got done boiling my boys before Califur! It hurt like a dickens, though; I've got two toys in 3's (Small Clayton, Small Flint) and one 2 (Medium Clayton), and I was paranoid about hurting them with tongs.

I got a big ol' stock pot of water, cranked it up to a boil, and got to work. I grabbed one end of the dick and held it as long as I could in the water (suffering through the high heat coming off of the water and from the stove!), making sure not to let the silicone touch the bottom of the pot. After about three minutes, I would flip it over, suffer through the pain of really hot silicone, and boil the other half of the toy. I almost got splashed when I held Clayton's base with a pot mitt, since my dexterity evidently drops by half if I'm not holding the toy in my bare hands.

I want to be thorough, but I also don't want to dig into 2 or 3-firmness silicone with metal tongs. Up until now I've been happy using a 10-to-1 water/bleach solution to clean my boys, but I prefer to boil them when I get the chance (my family went out, today, hence the dick soup).

To prevent future burns, I'd like to ask how you all do it, primarily with softer toys!
Last edited by Shadowcat on Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arao

Re: Dick Soup Question. :D

Postby Arao » Wed May 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Mind you, I haven't tried this yet (with softer toys, that is), but if it were me, I would invest in a pair of tongs that have the ends coated with silicone (so that they look more like salad tongs than, say, your stereotypical hot-dog tongs), and then use them to gently grasp at the base to manipulate them around in the water.
Rin

Postby Rin » Wed May 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Get the water up to a roiling boil and you won't have to hold them with tongs - the constant bubbling will move them enough to keep them from sitting completely still on the bottom. Just carefully turn them with tongs as needed (get some really good oven mitts to protect yourself in case of splashback) and you should be able to just sit back and let the water do the work.
Last edited by Rin on Thu May 29, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shadowcat

Postby Shadowcat » Wed May 28, 2014 7:34 pm

Rolling boil, huh? :o I'll definitely do that, next time. I thought they weren't supposed to touch the bottom at all, so it's good to hear that the water can do most of the work for me. :D

Thanks for the feedback, you two. :D I'll look for some tongs that'll work, too!
ChromosomeFarm

Postby ChromosomeFarm » Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 pm

I honestly have always just filled the pot with water and then dumped (or crammed) the toys in and let 'em go for a while. In theory, there should still be water between the pot and the toy if you do it that way. In any case, I've never had a problem. Just did mine (I think I'm at... 13 right now?) the other day.

I've always been a little paranoid about the metal tongs I've used too, but I've always been gentle and haven't seen any ill effects thus far either. The toys are pretty tough; the only bit I'd be worried about is sharp edges, such as where the end of the wire curves in and perhaps the joint where it pinches. The round, actually-grippy part of the tong should be absolutely fine.

I wonder if one of those silicone oven mitts would be safe to reach into the pot with? That would certainly make the job a lot easier, especially with big toys.
AGirlFromDownUnder
Gender: Bodacious Babe (Cis-Fem, Bi-curious with preference to males)

Postby AGirlFromDownUnder » Wed May 28, 2014 8:53 pm

If you're worried about the toys touching the pot, you can line it with a teatowel before you put the water in, which will protect the toys.
I second getting some soft tongs, or you can leave them in the water until it cools down enough to grab them.
Rin

Postby Rin » Thu May 29, 2014 1:48 pm

Shadowcat wrote:Rolling boil, huh? :o I'll definitely do that, next time. I thought they weren't supposed to touch the bottom at all, so it's good to hear that the water can do most of the work for me. :D

Thanks for the feedback, you two. :D I'll look for some tongs that'll work, too!

Silicone has an insanely high melting point - higher than you'll get from boiling water on a stove top (I've seen videos of someone taking an industrial-level blowtorch to a silicone dildo and it came away charred, but otherwise undamaged. Isn't the internet amazing?). The main issue as I understand it is that the heat may soften the silicone just enough that laying still on the bottom might cause them to warp slightly. I don't know how true this is but I suppose it's better to play it safe.
Art Vandelay

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu May 29, 2014 4:24 pm

You could just use a double boiler, if you're worried about melting the silicone.
musicofthenight

Postby musicofthenight » Thu May 29, 2014 9:31 pm

I stick a plate (stoneware!) in the bottom of the pot.
arta

Postby arta » Fri May 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Wait, is it bad for the toy when boiling for it to touch the pot? Uh oh

Someone better give me the how to boil toys for dummies
Rin

Postby Rin » Fri May 30, 2014 5:23 pm

arta wrote:Wait, is it bad for the toy when boiling for it to touch the pot? Uh oh

Someone better give me the how to boil toys for dummies

There's a worry that being in contact with hot metal might warp a silicone toy (like I said in my previous post, I don't know if this is true or not, given pure silicone's extremely high melting temperature). Most of the responses in this thread cover ways to avoid such damage. I'll restate mine in more detail:

I get the water up to what's called a roiling boil (tons and tons of bubbles that cause the water to churn) before carefully placing (never dropping!) my toys in with tongs.Then, if the water doesn't completely cover a toy, I use tongs to very carefully turn it after about five minutes to get the rest of it. The roiling boil will keep the toys moving ever so slightly and prevent it from resting against the hot metal. After another five minutes, I either remove the toys with the tongs or carefully pour the pot of water into a metal colander.

Take note of all those "carefully"s kids - boiling water's no joke!

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”