UPS to Canada fees?

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
reine

UPS to Canada fees?

Postby reine » Sun May 10, 2015 1:29 pm

So, whenever I buy a toy and have it shipped via FedEx, I'm usually dinged with a customs fee of $25-$40 CAD.

I noticed UPS was an option yesterday, and since I've only ever bought a $2 fur sample through UPS, I don't know what their handling fees are like or if they even have any. Is it worse than FedEx? Is it the same? Is it cheaper? UPS shipping is $2 cheaper than FedEx for me, but I don't want to use UPS if their fees are worse. :psyduck:

Thanks!
:psyduck:
Chibity

Re: UPS to Canada fees?

Postby Chibity » Sun May 10, 2015 5:43 pm

I was quite interested on looking into this, but it seems UPS isn't an option for me? :psyduck:

I tried a few different orders and I'm just getting the same two FedEx options as usual. Though I'm seeing other Canadian users (in Ontario as well) getting UPS to show up, it isn't over here.
Shame, as I was interested in trying it on my next purchase (whenever that is).

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Anyways, this is what I'm getting when researching UPS's custom fees in relation to the cost of the import. Since (from what I've seen posted) BD is using UPS's express services, there should be no fees at all when using those services. If that's true, I'm wagering it would be very effective to use UPS when making large purchases, since the shipping might be more expensive, but has no fee. With Fedex, a $300 purchase could nail me with a $80+ customs fee on top of the $35 I already paid for the shipping, so I might as well just pay a flat $65-whatever for UPS shipping. If that's the case.
ImageImage Image
Designer of Kage the Anomaly -- Forum / Labs -- Ͼ Art Tumblr Ͽ
Elli

Postby Elli » Mon May 11, 2015 6:00 am

Chibity wrote:I was quite interested on looking into this, but it seems UPS isn't an option for me? :psyduck:

I tried a few different orders and I'm just getting the same two FedEx options as usual. Though I'm seeing other Canadian users (in Ontario as well) getting UPS to show up, it isn't over here.
Shame, as I was interested in trying it on my next purchase (whenever that is).

http://www.ups.com/content/ca/en/shipping/cost/zones/customs_clearance.html

Anyways, this is what I'm getting when researching UPS's custom fees in relation to the cost of the import. Since (from what I've seen posted) BD is using UPS's express services, there should be no fees at all when using those services. If that's true, I'm wagering it would be very effective to use UPS when making large purchases, since the shipping might be more expensive, but has no fee. With Fedex, a $300 purchase could nail me with a $80+ customs fee on top of the $35 I already paid for the shipping, so I might as well just pay a flat $65-whatever for UPS shipping. If that's the case.

Using that link' pay attention to this part. "Note: Rates do not include applicable duties or taxes."

The majority of the fees international customers have to pay are not the shipping carriers fees but duties and taxes.
Chibity

Postby Chibity » Mon May 11, 2015 8:37 am

Elli wrote:Using that link' pay attention to this part. "Note: Rates do not include applicable duties or taxes."

The majority of the fees international customers have to pay are not the shipping carriers fees but duties and taxes.

Oh blegh, then I really have no idea what to expect if I used UPS as an option. I guess we'll just have to hear from someone who attempts it, and whenever they get their order in.
ImageImage Image
Designer of Kage the Anomaly -- Forum / Labs -- Ͼ Art Tumblr Ͽ
Elli

Postby Elli » Mon May 11, 2015 8:46 am

Chibity wrote:Oh blegh, then I really have no idea what to expect if I used UPS as an option. I guess we'll just have to hear from someone who attempts it, and whenever they get their order in.

Actually, UPS should still be cheaper if Fedex has a handling fee and as you pointed out UPS doesn't for those of you in Canada. I think it was a few dollars less in shipping costs also? Except for the remarkable and possibly erroneous qoute one person on the forum got of course. So not as little as you might have hoped but hey, every dollar counts no? :-)
reine

Postby reine » Mon May 11, 2015 9:54 am

I might pick UPS as the courier for my next order. Kinda nervous about my parents being home when the package arrives, but science needs to know!
splicerb

Postby splicerb » Thu May 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Yeah, I really wanna know if I am going to get hit with a secondary bill like I KNOW I would with FexEx
Tachyon1

Postby Tachyon1 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:32 pm

Hello,

Been using FedEx International Priority to Canada for all of my BD purchases so far. To get out of paying fees at the door for the duties and taxes, you need the following:

1. Create a FedEx account (make sure it is a PERSONAL one) and attach your Bank/Credit info to it so that it can be charged via your FedEx account
2. When you see that your shipment is in transit, call FedEx and inform them that you want that tracking number billed to your FedEx account
3. It will take about a week before you see that transaction in your FedEx Billing page
4. Sometimes (like for me) you will get an invoice after the shipment and if that same invoice number matches with the one on your FedEx account, it usually means it has been paid
5. If you want, you can always phone them to confirm that it has been paid for (I have done this many times, no issue)

For UPS, never experienced it with shipments from US, only within Canada but to prep for international shipments, this is what I did (I haven't made any orders with BD via UPS yet, will do soon and if I find the thread, update this space):

1. Create a personal/residential UPS account (so you can also get a UPS account number) and then attach your Bank/Credit info to it so that it can be charged via your FedEx account

2. Phone UPS and say that you want to setup to have your account setup with UPS Canada Brokerage Services, provide your e-mail address as they will send a form to you

3. Fill out the form and make sure you have a scanner on hand as well as it will need a hand written signature (no digital ones unfortunately), method of payment I chose was my credit card, reply back to the e-mail where you got the form from. Also mention in that email reply to them of your UPS account number and a reply back that it was processed OK

4. From some phone calls I had with UPS Canada, when the tracking number goes through the system and matches your address with your UPS account number, any fees and taxes at the border will be charged automatically and no surprises at the door

However, I have yet to test that out as I have not ordered from BD via UPS yet.
Snow Paws

Postby Snow Paws » Fri May 15, 2015 12:29 pm

I just bought a toy using the UPS option, I paid $22 custom fees for my $100 dollar purchase. I find it's about the same for FedEx.
Kitty Tentacles!
Checklist Bio
reine

Postby reine » Sat May 16, 2015 6:41 am

Kitten wrote:I just bought a toy using the UPS option, I paid $22 custom fees for my $100 dollar purchase. I find it's about the same for FedEx.

Ah, thanks! Which UPS option did you use? I have 3 choices, but idk if that means anything except faster shipping.

I'll probably stick with FedEx-- I can have them hold my package, and I need to pay customs at the delivery office because I don't have cash or credit. :'| I wonder if UPS takes debit at the door...
corpse_grinder

Postby corpse_grinder » Mon May 18, 2015 6:02 pm

Me and my gf usualy get our packages from ups. Never really had a shipment charge, but this is the first we are ordering from bad dragon via ups. Since canadian fedex sucks.
im hoping it wont be much.
Snow Paws

Postby Snow Paws » Mon May 18, 2015 6:16 pm

reine wrote:
Kitten wrote:I just bought a toy using the UPS option, I paid $22 custom fees for my $100 dollar purchase. I find it's about the same for FedEx.

Ah, thanks! Which UPS option did you use? I have 3 choices, but idk if that means anything except faster shipping.

I'll probably stick with FedEx-- I can have them hold my package, and I need to pay customs at the delivery office because I don't have cash or credit. :'| I wonder if UPS takes debit at the door...

I picked the cheapest options, the 3-5 day one I believe. It got here in two days, but no different then fedex.
And they don't take debit at the door, I asked the ups driver.
Kitty Tentacles!
Checklist Bio
Tachyon1

Postby Tachyon1 » Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:56 am

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just received my Large Sleipnir in Furry Road, although I should have gotten him in a Medium (5) firmness instead of Firm (8) as it is a challenge to get all the way to the bottom although I might eventually get all of him ;)

Anyway, I got the package via UPS Worldwide Saver and got here within 1 business day. However, I needed confirmation from UPS that I wouldn't have to worry about paying at the door as I already have them as my import broker. I find out that it wouldn't be the case because in BD's sign-up form for ordering, you have to choose either Mr., Mrs., or Ms. Because of that, the import fees and taxes wasn't charged to my UPS account, even though the address was the same; their system didn't recognize me as the recipient to the fees and taxes directly billed to my UPS account. I had to call them another two times before they got their supervisor to approve a request to have it charged to my UPS account. This is NOT the fault of BD, I put this squarely on UPS as their system doesn't account for those very minor changes even though they have assured me many times before making the order that it would be charged to my UPS account directly.

I checked the profile settings on my UPS account and their is no option to choose Mr., Mrs., or Ms. and because it didn't match name wise, had to go through a lot of holding and apologies on the phone.

I am definitely going to stay with FedEX for my purchases from BD, won't be using UPS again.
reine

Postby reine » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:15 am

Yeah, I haven't been hearing much good about UPS. :? The fees are the same, and UPS is only ~$2 cheaper, so I'll likely be sticking with FedEx for the time being.
notunwise

Postby notunwise » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:53 pm

I am resurrecting this thread because I am pretty livid.

Between the last toy I bought and the one before, Bad Dragon has started offering shipping through UPS to Canada and Fedex has always, without fail, charged me between 15% and 20% of the value of whatever I bought, so I thought I would try out UPS this time, thinking that it would probably be similar but you never know!

WOW was THAT a mistake!

UPS has just hit me with taxes&fees of more than 50% the value of my purchase. It wasn't the biggest purchase I'd ever made from Bad Dragon, thank god, but shiiiiiiit! I never thought I would WANT to go bad to Fedex!

Seriously, they are asking for 58$ (CAN) for a 80$ (US) purchase.

Anyone else since has had anything so bad?
nevan

Postby nevan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:40 pm

notunwise wrote:I am resurrecting this thread because I am pretty livid.

Between the last toy I bought and the one before, Bad Dragon has started offering shipping through UPS to Canada and Fedex has always, without fail, charged me between 15% and 20% of the value of whatever I bought, so I thought I would try out UPS this time, thinking that it would probably be similar but you never know!

WOW was THAT a mistake!

UPS has just hit me with taxes&fees of more than 50% the value of my purchase. It wasn't the biggest purchase I'd ever made from Bad Dragon, thank god, but shiiiiiiit! I never thought I would WANT to go bad to Fedex!

Seriously, they are asking for 58$ (CAN) for a 80$ (US) purchase.

Anyone else since has had anything so bad?

My elden I got last month ($80) was $32 shipping + $42 COD.

I ordered a medium flop Pretzal ($80), and a small adopt nox w suction cup ($80) that were paid for and shipped separately (because I am super dumb, I should have ticketed BD to get them to combine the two orders, I literally bought one on thursday, and one on friday oops. The UPS lady I talked to when I picked them up (arrived same day) even told me that. She thought it was pretty terrible of the company to not have just done that themselves, but again, I blame myself really). The shipping was the same, but the COD charges were slightly different for each package. $51.22, and $51.17. Not much of a difference between the two, but that is still more expensive than last month. Is FedEx really cheaper??? If so, I may switch - I would love to buy something else from BD in the future, but paying essentially double is ridiculous. Like I paid more for shipping and COD than the actual products themselves.
notunwise

Postby notunwise » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:24 am

nevan wrote:I ordered a medium flop Pretzal ($80), and a small adopt nox w suction cup ($80) that were paid for and shipped separately (because I am super dumb, I should have ticketed BD to get them to combine the two orders, I literally bought one on thursday, and one on friday oops. The UPS lady I talked to when I picked them up (arrived same day) even told me that. She thought it was pretty terrible of the company to not have just done that themselves, but again, I blame myself really). The shipping was the same, but the COD charges were slightly different for each package. $51.22, and $51.17. Not much of a difference between the two, but that is still more expensive than last month. Is FedEx really cheaper??? If so, I may switch - I would love to buy something else from BD in the future, but paying essentially double is ridiculous. Like I paid more for shipping and COD than the actual products themselves.

Ugh those are terrible taxes&fees amounts.

I ordered twice using FedEx earlier this year. The last time they charged 41,69$ for an order of 160$, and the time before was 62,92$ for an order of 275$ - so with the exchange rate, it turns out being about 22% and 18% of the value of the package respectively.

So, yeah, much cheaper with Fedex in my experience than with UPS.
nevan

Postby nevan » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:38 am

notunwise wrote:Ugh those are terrible taxes&fees amounts.

I ordered twice using FedEx earlier this year. The last time they charged 41,69$ for an order of 160$, and the time before was 62,92$ for an order of 275$ - so with the exchange rate, it turns out being about 22% and 18% of the value of the package respectively.

So, yeah, much cheaper with Fedex in my experience than with UPS.

Image Well, shit...
Foxyboi

Postby Foxyboi » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:07 am

OMG NOOO

I'm expecting my medium Vergil tomorrow at a total value of $114 USD. I shipped via UPS and now I feel like UPS is going to hurt my butt more than the toy itself.
Me--> :surprised: :misc11: :misc9: :angry: <--UPS

There's people online saying that i can pay the duties and taxes ourselves if I call UPS and request to do customs clearance myself rather than have them do it. But I'm not sure if it will be worth the time since I have to go pick up paperwork from UPS, find a CBSA office, and bring the receipt back to UPS to pick up my package :psyduck:

What do I doooooo. I don't want to pay over $50 in taxes when I paid $26 for shipping already :crying:
:misc15: :crying: :misc14:
Saromel

Postby Saromel » Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:54 pm

I'm in a similar situation as I chose UPS (I've had some bad customer experience with fedex) and now have to pay some extra shipping fee and tax, but I'm getting worried about when I'm going to get my package delivered.

The tracking information says my package arrived my city yesterday, which is by itself really suspicious since it was shipped Tuesday and I live really far from the Canadian border, plus it says I have to pay to get my package. The problem is, I didn't get any mail, phone call or whatsoever, I don't have any information as to how I can pay these fees, where I can pick my package or when it's going to be actually delivered, and how much it's going to cost me.

I remember Fedex sent an invoice by mail after the package was delivered, but they didn't cause any trouble during the shipment progress.

Screenshot: http://up.alexpineault.com/ul/1443733007.png
Saromel on Twitter! Collection & Wishlist in profile

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”