sterilization of used toys

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
ogbd1988
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:51 pm

sterilization of used toys

Postby ogbd1988 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello, i am about to purchase a toy from the second hand forums but had a question for all the second hand vets. Does boiling the toy completely clean it? Will boiling water get rid of say hep c and any other type of std that MAY be present? Thank you for any information.
User avatar
Rainbow Dasher
Posts: 10491
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:04 pm

Yes. Boiling for 10 - 15 minutes get it completely sterilized and will effectively kill any bacteria, if there even is any. Silicone is virtually non-pourous, too, so tends not to hold onto things. You can also run it through the dishwasher (top rack). If you are still concerned, use a condom, but don't use pre-lubricated ones, because many of them use silicone based lube and it will destroy your toy.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Gamma Velorum
Posts: 1132
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 am

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Gamma Velorum » Sun Feb 21, 2016 5:55 pm

Exactly what RD said, and you can sterilize a toy using a mild bleach solution as well. You can boil, THEN bleach (do not, under any circumstances EVER boil bleach, you will DIE) a toy for added security of mind. Just add a few cap-fuls of bleach to hot water and let it soak for about 10 minutes and rinse very well!

Enjoy your new friend!
ogbd1988
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:51 pm

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby ogbd1988 » Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:38 pm

Thanks you guys and gals ! I been lurking here for about 6 to 8 months waiting for the right time to get one and just so happens the exact model i wanted to buy custom options and everything pops up on second hand boards. Must of been some bad dragon fate going on :)
DrZed
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:45 am
Gender: Latex tentacle
Location: Vodkaland, Lenin city

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby DrZed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:05 pm

Got a question of similar nature, how do you boil toys? Do you boil them as water heats up, or just throw them into boiling water?
User avatar
Rainbow Dasher
Posts: 10491
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:13 pm

DrZed wrote:Got a question of similar nature, how do you boil toys? Do you boil them as water heats up, or just throw them into boiling water?


Put them into a pot, fill with water to cover, and then put them on the heat. Let it come to a boil, and then boil rapidly for ten minutes. You may want to stand close to keep an eye on them, though, and do set a timer. There have been a couple cases of forum members walking away from their toys/getting distracted with something else, and they come back to find the water all boiled away and their toys, well, melted to the pot.

If it's a huge toy, you either need a very large stock pot, or you need to boil the first half for 10 minutes, and then turn it around and boil the other half. The dishwasher, if you have one, is far easier for the larger toys.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
DrZed
Posts: 81
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:45 am
Gender: Latex tentacle
Location: Vodkaland, Lenin city

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby DrZed » Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:20 pm

Rainbow Dasher wrote:
Put them into a pot, fill with water to cover, and then put them on the heat. Let it come to a boil, and then boil rapidly for ten minutes. You may want to stand close to keep an eye on them, though, and do set a timer. There have been a couple cases of forum members walking away from their toys/getting distracted with something else, and they come back to find the water all boiled away and their toys, well, melted to the pot.

If it's a huge toy, you either need a very large stock pot, or you need to boil the first half for 10 minutes, and then turn it around and boil the other half. The dishwasher, if you have one, is far easier for the larger toys.

Ah, so it's slow cooking then. Alright. (Not that i have luxury of leaving it to boil alone... i don't want to shock anyone (read: my mom) and get asked "omg how do you fit that in your butt" questions. Or, well, more likely being told to be careful not to hurt myself wen i put it in my butt.)
User avatar
Knottery
Posts: 1901
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2015 11:25 am

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Knottery » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:26 pm

DrZed wrote:Ah, so it's slow cooking then. Alright. (Not that i have luxury of leaving it to boil alone... i don't want to shock anyone (read: my mom) and get asked "omg how do you fit that in your butt" questions. Or, well, more likely being told to be careful not to hurt myself wen i put it in my butt.)


You can bring the water to a boil and then put the toy in if you want. The important bit is having it at the appropriate temperature for the appropriate length of time to kill anything that might be on the surface of the toy.

It's probably easier to just fill it up with tap water and put it on the stove with the toy in the pot so you'll know it'll be submerged, but if you have an electric kettle or something, those do tend to heat water faster so you could just pour the hot water over the toy into the pot and turn the heat on to keep it at a boil for 10 minutes. This is what I do for smaller toys since we always have our water heater plugged in for tea and stuff.
User avatar
TotallyPhilthy
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:53 pm
Gender: female

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby TotallyPhilthy » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:38 pm

Does anyone have experiences with using alcohol based toy cleaners with BD toys? I once wrote a ticket and asked, but I was told that they don't know and I should go ask here. I'd really like to know if they are save to use with silicone toys!

Also, regarding boiling: Can the toys get damaged if they touch the cooking pot? I mean, it gets hotter than the water itself. Kinda concerned that they'd end up with melted parts :eyeroll: No idea how much heat they can take.
User avatar
Dusksong
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:11 pm
Gender: Female
Location: East Coast US

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Dusksong » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:27 pm

TotallyPhilthy wrote:Does anyone have experiences with using alcohol based toy cleaners with BD toys? I once wrote a ticket and asked, but I was told that they don't know and I should go ask here. I'd really like to know if they are save to use with silicone toys!

Also, regarding boiling: Can the toys get damaged if they touch the cooking pot? I mean, it gets hotter than the water itself. Kinda concerned that they'd end up with melted parts :eyeroll: No idea how much heat they can take.


I think as long as they don't touch the sides they should be okay. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised though. I held mine under with tongs when I did it.

I'm also picturing trying to find a pot big enough for some of those toys, lol.
Image Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness. - Stephen King
* Toys for sale & Wanted in my profile! *
User avatar
Rainbow Dasher
Posts: 10491
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:25 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:32 pm

It's OK if the toy touches the sides/bottom of the pot. In most cases... they kind of have to. As long as water is covering the toys and not evaporating away, you'll be fine.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
User avatar
DragonDestroyer
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon May 25, 2015 12:20 pm
Gender: male & female

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby DragonDestroyer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:21 pm

Dusksong wrote:
TotallyPhilthy wrote:Does anyone have experiences with using alcohol based toy cleaners with BD toys? I once wrote a ticket and asked, but I was told that they don't know and I should go ask here. I'd really like to know if they are save to use with silicone toys!

Also, regarding boiling: Can the toys get damaged if they touch the cooking pot? I mean, it gets hotter than the water itself. Kinda concerned that they'd end up with melted parts :eyeroll: No idea how much heat they can take.


I think as long as they don't touch the sides they should be okay. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised though. I held mine under with tongs when I did it.

I'm also picturing trying to find a pot big enough for some of those toys, lol.


There are some REALLY big pots out there, mostly used in industrial or commercial kitchens. Worth getting one if you are going to need some serious sanitation efforts.

As far as heat damage, the toys can take a lot. I've been boiling my medium toys in a pot that is far too small and never had any damage.

That said I do try and keep contact with the sides and bottom to a minimum but rotating the toy around periodically.

I also try and turn down the heat after I bring the pot to a boil.

Rubbing alcohol shouldn't harm the toy at all. I've used it a few times with no ill effects.
User avatar
Lipton
Posts: 747
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:24 am
Gender: Male
Location: Germany

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby Lipton » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:09 am

I wanted too buy some second hand ones now and I always wondered... The cumtube is plastic I assume, is that also ok to be boiled? Does it change after a while?
Toys I want to buy:
- Elypse Art: Neo & Vixen
- BD April Fool Toys: Red Rocket & Fire Hydrant

I'm located in Germany, feel free to send me a message if you're selling one of these.
User avatar
takethechanceee
Posts: 80
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2015 10:11 am
Gender: Female

Re: sterilization of used toys

Postby takethechanceee » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:18 am

Lipton wrote:I wanted too buy some second hand ones now and I always wondered... The cumtube is plastic I assume, is that also ok to be boiled? Does it change after a while?

The cumtube is made from silicone tubing, it is totally safe to boil! Just don't boil the syringe, that is plastic! It will not damage the tubing to boil it.
Toys in my hoard: 8!
► Show Spoiler

Waiting on: None :(

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 17 guests