Removing scents from silicone

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Screamy

Removing scents from silicone

Postby Screamy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:19 am

Hey everyone. I got a toy and it has a bit of a scent to it. I don't want to put it in my box with my other toys because I'm concerned it might pass off the smell to the other toys in the box.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove scents? It's a platinum cure silicone toy. I've left it out for a few months and the smell has dulled considerably since I bought it, but it is still rather strong.

Ive also tried boiling it three times so far and it seems to have helped slightly but there's still a considerable scent to it.

Cheers everyone.
All my sex toy data on here is way out of date.
ForestFires

Re: Removing scents from silicone

Postby ForestFires » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:16 pm

The best thing I've ever done for a strong smelling toy is to box it separately from my other toys and then washed it by itself in a bathtub and boiling water with baby shampoo. Baby shampoo doesn't have any pholsates or smelly stuff, something like that, I can't remember but my mom recommended it after I said I was having trouble with a toy that was handed down to me that smelled really, really strongly.

I've washed it with baby shampoo, pretty much scrubbing it and washing it several times and then smell is weakened and pretty much gone at this point. Another thing I would do is also get some odor sheets which are used for laundry to soak up the smell whilst storing it.

Hope this helps you out~ :widesmile:
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:28 pm

ForestFires wrote:The best thing I've ever done for a strong smelling toy is to box it separately from my other toys and then washed it by itself in a bathtub and boiling water with baby shampoo. Baby shampoo doesn't have any pholsates or smelly stuff, something like that, I can't remember but my mom recommended it after I said I was having trouble with a toy that was handed down to me that smelled really, really strongly.

I've washed it with baby shampoo, pretty much scrubbing it and washing it several times and then smell is weakened and pretty much gone at this point. Another thing I would do is also get some odor sheets which are used for laundry to soak up the smell whilst storing it.

Hope this helps you out~ :widesmile:

Thanks mate! I'll try those!
Dusksong

Postby Dusksong » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:01 pm

Can you store it separately with some baking soda for a while? I've seen a paste recommended to use on silicone baking pans but I DO NOT know if that would be safe for toys. But maybe just an open box in the same container?
Image Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness. - Stephen King
* Toys for sale & Wanted in my profile! *
naughtybun

Postby naughtybun » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:09 pm

I'm pretty confident you can seal it up in baking soda for a couple weeks (maybe just a week) and it'll be good.
add, depression, anxiety. thanks mother nature.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.f-list.net/c/naughtybun
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:34 pm

naughtybun wrote:I'm pretty confident you can seal it up in baking soda for a couple weeks (maybe just a week) and it'll be good.

Dusksong wrote:Can you store it separately with some baking soda for a while? I've seen a paste recommended to use on silicone baking pans but I DO NOT know if that would be safe for toys. But maybe just an open box in the same container?

I actually did that all this week (in a Tupperware container) and it seemed to work a little but there's still quite a smell to it. It's so dang strong it's like beating back a giant monster that keeps re-surging :doh:
I'll keep trying that baking soda trick for a little while! Thanks mates!
naughtybun

Postby naughtybun » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:57 pm

No prob! I'd say definitely leave it for a couple weeks more & if the smell is still there, refresh the soda & go anther two weeks! Lol I remember the DA creator from etsy had a similar problem & I *believe* it was a month or so until it worked!
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:01 pm

Where did you get the toy from? I'd contact the seller about it especially if you can't get the smell, out. Baking soda worked with my DA toys, but it did take a couple of weeks of leaving it sealed in a container with baking soda. It wasn't an incredibly strong smell, though, just a light cig scent.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
naughtybun

Postby naughtybun » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:03 pm

Rainbow Dasher wrote:Where did you get the toy from? I'd contact the seller about it especially if you can't get the smell, out. Baking soda worked with my DA toys, but it did take a couple of weeks of leaving it sealed in a container with baking soda. It wasn't an incredibly strong smell, though, just a light cig scent.

I thought she said it was a strong smell? At least I'm pretty sure.
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:06 pm

naughtybun wrote:
Rainbow Dasher wrote:Where did you get the toy from? I'd contact the seller about it especially if you can't get the smell, out. Baking soda worked with my DA toys, but it did take a couple of weeks of leaving it sealed in a container with baking soda. It wasn't an incredibly strong smell, though, just a light cig scent.

I thought she said it was a strong smell? At least I'm pretty sure.

I'm talking about what I did with my toys, and how it worked with mine, but the scent on my toys wasn't horrifically strong, so YMMV and all that.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:39 pm

It was secondhand. I was considering asking but I didn't want to bother them. I'll keep doing the baking soda thing. Hopefully it chills out with the smell. The only thing that really bugs me is that I can't put it with my other toys because I'm afraid it will transfer the scent. :unamused:
ChaosRed

Postby ChaosRed » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:42 am

Man...how strong IS the scent. I was only mildly worried about my toys since I've been using them frequently since I got them, but now maybe I should take breaks? I wouldn't want them to start smelling off. :unamused:
So I've started writing for the internet! Check it out: https://aconversations.wordpress.com/
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:57 am

ChaosRed wrote:Man...how strong IS the scent. I was only mildly worried about my toys since I've been using them frequently since I got them, but now maybe I should take breaks? I wouldn't want them to start smelling off. :unamused:

It's not from use. I think it might have been sprayed with something or stored near an unsafe toy before I bought it. It smells a bit like my old unsafe toys did but I know it's platinum cure.

I'm sure your toy will stay fine as long as you wash it and take care of it after use. None of mine seem to smell aside from this one.
mynickname

Postby mynickname » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:26 pm

I wouldn't recommend keeping it in a sealed container, that's just trapping the scent in. If you don't want to add in a stronger scent to cover it up, leave it out in the open so the scent can slowly dissipate. You can still do the other things, just don't seal it up.
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:16 pm

mynickname wrote:I wouldn't recommend keeping it in a sealed container, that's just trapping the scent in. If you don't want to add in a stronger scent to cover it up, leave it out in the open so the scent can slowly dissipate. You can still do the other things, just don't seal it up.

Putting it in a container with baking soda traps some scent in the baking soda instead of the toy itself. Putting it alone in a container does nothing
Keely

Postby Keely » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:46 pm

this is my method that has gotten overpowering smoke and incense smells out of secondhand toys

1) buy costco size bag if baking soda

2) find container that is similar in size to your toy but which the toy can fit inside without touching the sides

3) pour some baking soda and water into the container and let the bs settle till it forms a layer on the bottom

4) add your toy

5) keep adding water and baking soda and letting the baking soda settle

6) do that until the toy is completely surrounded in this baking soda mud

7) pour excess water off the top of your container

8) let sit for as long as it takes for at least the top inch or so of the baking soda to dry

9) remove and evaluate for smell

it takes a lot of baking soda and a lot of patience to do this but I've gotten absolutely fantastic results with it. I once bought a toy that smelled so strongly of incense that I couldn't be in the same room with it without getting a headache. I had to do the above method twice but afterwards all I could smell from it was silicone.
My Toybox23/Genderfluid/TakenUSAFor Sale
Screamy

Postby Screamy » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Keely wrote:this is my method that has gotten overpowering smoke and incense smells out of secondhand toys

1) buy costco size bag if baking soda

2) find container that is similar in size to your toy but which the toy can fit inside without touching the sides

3) pour some baking soda and water into the container and let the bs settle till it forms a layer on the bottom

4) add your toy

5) keep adding water and baking soda and letting the baking soda settle

6) do that until the toy is completely surrounded in this baking soda mud

7) pour excess water off the top of your container

8) let sit for as long as it takes for at least the top inch or so of the baking soda to dry

9) remove and evaluate for smell

it takes a lot of baking soda and a lot of patience to do this but I've gotten absolutely fantastic results with it. I once bought a toy that smelled so strongly of incense that I couldn't be in the same room with it without getting a headache. I had to do the above method twice but afterwards all I could smell from it was silicone.

I could try that. I gotta go shopping soon so that could work! Thanks!
Nemalok

Postby Nemalok » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:11 am

Hey there ~

Easy thing I do to avoid the smell problem (especially with anal toys...)

After boiling, store them in a closed plastic bag (like the ones you can use for food, or stuff like that) with a tea bag or a piece of incense.

Looks cheap and simple but I never had any smell problem on my toys with that ! :nomnom:
AcroJet

Postby AcroJet » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:28 am

ForestFires wrote:The best thing I've ever done for a strong smelling toy is to box it separately from my other toys and then washed it by itself in a bathtub and boiling water with baby shampoo. Baby shampoo doesn't have any pholsates or smelly stuff, something like that, I can't remember but my mom recommended it after I said I was having trouble with a toy that was handed down to me that smelled really, really strongly.

You asked your mom how best to clean a sex toy? Damn...that is one close and trusting relationship!

To the original topic, I'd say that if it's a silicone toy like BD makes, since they recommend using a 10% bleach water solution to clean and disinfect toys and clean out cumtubes, perhaps try soaking the toy in bleach water for a little while to see if that helps drive the smell away. However, if the smell is due to the type of silicone the manufacturer used and/or what kind of chemicals went into it, the smell may just be the nature of the material and will never go away. Try this or any of the other suggestions listed, but definitely always store that toy separate from the others you may have so the smell doesn't transfer.

Another thought that's a bit of a long shot: in case the smell is due to chemicals in the toy slowly leaching out, if you had access to any sort of vacuum chamber that you could put the toy in to draw out chemical gases faster, that might help.

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”