Help and Advice for first purchase!

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
ToxicRay

Help and Advice for first purchase!

Postby ToxicRay » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Hello! I was wondering if anyone here can give me help and advice on my fist purchase here on BD.

Some info about me:
I have lurked here on BD for a few years, too afraid to make an account. I have an above average libido, so much so, that my boyfriend of 7 years, much to his exhaustion, cannot keep up; I often end up going solo most nights. ^_^;
It doesn't bother him, he encourages it actually! :smilenox:

I do not have a lot of experience with dildos, and have a very, very small collection of toys that has kept we happy until recently.

I am very lucky that my bf is understanding, and is not freaked out by this site (I'm a pretty weird gal, and so, I guess it's not that unexpected I like dragon penises). I am even considering purchasing a were-able for us to use, depending on how this goes...

What I need help on:
I am stuck deciding my fist toy purchase, I am using my current toy "collection" as reference, to see what may be within the same region of comfort I am used to.

~ As a reference: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1000_.jpg
I have the kegel ball set shown in the pic. As measured, it's diameter is a little over 1.5" and it is very hard. For me, however, it fits very snug. It is also 4" in length, and that seems to be satisfying in my solo sessions. (I know this isn't meant for playtime, but meh)

~ The second: http://pics.drugstore.com/prodimg/530723/450.jpg
I have this modest bullet, the texture is okay, and gives me some stimulation. The diameter is 1" and it slides in easily, but I still feel it. Most of the time I just use the sleeve (without the bullet inside) so it's very squishy, and during climax the resistance/springiness of it is awesome. (again, it's less then 4", I usually insert it all the way, so it just sits there... lol)

I am currently stuck on getting a mini Xar, or a mini Crackers; Are those odd choices for a first time buyer?
I plan on getting one with a suction cup, so I can have a variety of options for it.
I am also leaning toward a softer toy, based on the bullet toy I use, but from what I've read, that can be a problem for smaller toys?

I am already planning to get a sample disc set to check on the firmness levels myself, but I wanted to know what people have thought from experience.

I hope this wasn't too long! :crying:
Kisa

Re: Help and Advice for first purchase!

Postby Kisa » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:26 pm

A mini Xar could be a bit difficult for a first time buyer, as I hear that his knot is a bit difficult to take. A mini Crackers seems fine, but I would get him in firm or medium firmness just to feel the texture.

My first toy here was a mini Echo, and I still love him, he slides in perfectly. He has a nice tapered bulge that feels great.

I'm not sure what you're looking for other than something that's beginner friendly. Most people like Nox as well, but I think a mini Crackers should be fine. I'm actually thinking about getting him one day, I'm still debating though.
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland
Titusza1

Postby Titusza1 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:52 pm

Both are good choices. The sizes are all in all the same on both models. Crackers is just more of a quick swell. While with Xar you'll have a work up before the knot. Personally I would go with Xar if your unsure. You at least get sosomething from the toy before working up to the size of the knot but in mini it really shouldn't be a problem to take. Crackers just doesn't leave any wiggle room. It's a quick stretch. An if your not used to taking that size it will take a few goes before you really get anything from the length. But again at mini I wouldn't see it being a problem. The choice is your and you know yourself best.
MY Toys
► Show Spoiler
Panzellie

Postby Panzellie » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:05 pm

Hello!
I am in a similar situation where I have a higher libido than my partner and he actually encourages me to explore toys when he is not in the mood. It's so nice x3

Previously I had absolutely no toying experience, and my first purchase ever was a Small Crackers/Medium Firmness and it was a hit or miss situation:
Apparently the small has a printer texture I was not aware of, or had any knowledge about what it meant. I saw Crackers on the site and was immediately smitten so I jumped first and reviewed later.
Fortunately I am in the portion that "likes" the printer texture. Unfortunately he is a tad too "large" for me-- I can still get him completely in but not without some warm up and lube. He is the only toy that has given me a vaginal and blended orgasm.

It can be overwhelming if not prepared for-- My eyes were bigger than my V, so I would recommend a mini Crackers for sure-- I believe that one does not have the matte finish on it that the small does.
Also, Medium firmness is usually my go to for smaller toys, but your mileage may vary. I like that little give they have and the texture on Crackers is still a favorite of mine.

Also, do you like thrusting or riding?
I found riding is my personal preference; work the toy in comfortably, break out the vibe and I'm done within the hour with a lot of satisfaction.
I unfortunately have a "tight" and "shallow" vagina so Small Crackers is the largest/deepest I can take it seems at the moment, but Xar has been on my list ever since a user pointed him out to me.
He seems to be a good riding toy that tapers and locks into place for a nice filling sensation.
If riding is your thing, I would recommend Xar.
Try looking into "Xar and Crackers Reviews" to help better inform you, since I didn't even look at the forums until I made my purchase-- and honestly it would have made a world of difference had I done so before hand.
I have traded with CometSuicide
Bought from Magenta, Memphs, Hereticblood, and Sirion
Sold to Mikeman4290, Keely, Nickooru, and Asteraphoenix x2
Idra

Postby Idra » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:33 pm

Hi there! Taking a look in this thread, and this post specifically may help. I couldn't find a gif of anyone squeezing a mini/3 Crackers or Xar, but a Mini Flint is 1.8" diameter, so VERY close to both Crackers and Xar. I personally prefer harder firmnesses, but if you know you like the squish and give and spring that your bullet sleeve has, then it's definitely possible that you'd like the soft firmness that BD offers. If that gif looks TOO squishy, 5 firmness (medium) also has a good amount of give to it. I'd recommend you stay away from 8/firm, though.

As far as 3 firmness being a problem for smaller toys, I don't know why that would be? I have a Small/3 Nocturne and it stands up and functions just as well as a firmer toy (I just don't like soft toys, it turns out). Soft can be a problem if you're planning to use these toys anally, but other than that, if you like the look of the soft firmness, I'd say go for it.

Size-wise I'd recommend Xar over Crackers. They have the same max diameter, and I don't THINK it'll be a problem for you to take them, but if you can't take 1.7" diameter right away, Xar at least gives you some shaft you can definitely use, whereas Crackers hits that swell immediately. If you can afford both, though, I'd say go for both xD

I came to BD from VERY hard objects (ABS plastic, actually) and my max diameter in ABS plastic was 1.75-1.8"; I didn't have a problem taking 2-2.2" things in 5 firmness right away. I think that even with the minis being slightly over the max diameter of the kegel balls, the squish will let you take your chosen toys :3
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Owned: See Profile
Dusksong

Postby Dusksong » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:04 am

It also depends on whether you prefer riding or thrusting, Xar is much more of a riding toy due to his base. I have a small one and he's one of my favorites! I also love my Pretzal, but his curve doesn't work for everyone. (It's a perfect fit for me though!)

For thrusting I really like Echo, Spritz, and Clayton right now.

Keep in mind too that BD toys tend to run very large compared to a lot of companies so be sure to check the measurements on the toy info pages first!
Image Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness. - Stephen King
* Toys for sale & Wanted in my profile! *
Faffy the FauxFox

Postby Faffy the FauxFox » Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:30 pm

tyson is nice, so is ridgeback
__________________________________________________________________________________
underwear is a hug for your butt
katze

Postby katze » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:01 pm

A mini xar in soft is probably fine for you. A mini crackers shouldn't be that much of a problem either, if you prefer the look of that model more.

It probably depends on whether or not you want a model with a knot, or a model without. Xar is also smooth, while crackers has some texture.

^ↀᴥↀ^
agender girl | queer | taken | 50 dildos | 14 eggs | 2 plugs | 3 penetrables | 1 wearable

ฅ(≚ᄌ≚)
toy collection in profile!
ToxicRay

Postby ToxicRay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:01 pm

Panzellie wrote:Hello!
Also, do you like thrusting or riding?

I haven't had a ton of experience with either to be honest, but I planned on riding the one I got for sure. I've been talking to my friend about toys and his experiences, he says the suction cups are the best because you can ride them. I'm definitely getting one with a suction cup base for sure. :widesmile:
ToxicRay

Postby ToxicRay » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:04 pm

Idra wrote:Hi there! Taking a look in this thread, and this post specifically may help. I couldn't find a gif of anyone squeezing a mini/3 Crackers or Xar, but a Mini Flint is 1.8" diameter, so VERY close to both Crackers and Xar. I personally prefer harder firmnesses, but if you know you like the squish and give and spring that your bullet sleeve has, then it's definitely possible that you'd like the soft firmness that BD offers. If that gif looks TOO squishy, 5 firmness (medium) also has a good amount of give to it. I'd recommend you stay away from 8/firm, though.

As far as 3 firmness being a problem for smaller toys, I don't know why that would be? I have a Small/3 Nocturne and it stands up and functions just as well as a firmer toy (I just don't like soft toys, it turns out). Soft can be a problem if you're planning to use these toys anally, but other than that, if you like the look of the soft firmness, I'd say go for it.

Size-wise I'd recommend Xar over Crackers. They have the same max diameter, and I don't THINK it'll be a problem for you to take them, but if you can't take 1.7" diameter right away, Xar at least gives you some shaft you can definitely use, whereas Crackers hits that swell immediately. If you can afford both, though, I'd say go for both xD

I came to BD from VERY hard objects (ABS plastic, actually) and my max diameter in ABS plastic was 1.75-1.8"; I didn't have a problem taking 2-2.2" things in 5 firmness right away. I think that even with the minis being slightly over the max diameter of the kegel balls, the squish will let you take your chosen toys :3

OMG That thread is absolutely amazing! You have been very helpful! Looking at the toys in motion change how I look at them completely. :bugeyed: I can't thank you enough!!!
kt~

Postby kt~ » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:50 pm

ToxicRay wrote:
Idra wrote:Hi there! Taking a look in this thread, and this post specifically may help. I couldn't find a gif of anyone squeezing a mini/3 Crackers or Xar, but a Mini Flint is 1.8" diameter, so VERY close to both Crackers and Xar. I personally prefer harder firmnesses, but if you know you like the squish and give and spring that your bullet sleeve has, then it's definitely possible that you'd like the soft firmness that BD offers. If that gif looks TOO squishy, 5 firmness (medium) also has a good amount of give to it. I'd recommend you stay away from 8/firm, though.

OMG That thread is absolutely amazing! You have been very helpful! Looking at the toys in motion change how I look at them completely. :bugeyed: I can't thank you enough!!!

She must have missed it, but I did a gif of mini/3 Crackers:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28103&hilit=mini+crackers&start=160#p1072132
~Kinzie~ :misc13: :cool: / Female / 23 / Otaku / Writer

One step on the road to recovery from past traumas.

20 Insertables/1 Penetrable/3 Vibes/4 Eggs
Pictures of my Collection
ToxicRay

Postby ToxicRay » Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:52 pm

kt~ wrote:
ToxicRay wrote:

She must have missed it, but I did a gif of mini/3 Crackers:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=28103&hilit=mini+crackers&start=160#p1072132

I saw it when I went through the forum! It looks so awesome! ^_^
Though I admit, I giggled at the second one, the hand looks like it's stalking it's prey, then suddenly *glomp* :misc2:
I am just worried if the bumps won't be as noticeable in soft. :(
Idra

Postby Idra » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:01 pm

ToxicRay wrote:I am just worried if the bumps won't be as noticeable in soft. :(

That's going to depend on how sensitive you are; can you feel the texture on your sleeve when you insert it?

I have a Small Crackers in 5 and honestly I can't feel the nubs and bumps. I can feel the printer texture (which the mini doesn't have, but the small does) but not the texture it's supposed to have. From what I've heard, that's not an uncommon experience; you have to be fairly sensitive to feel those, as they're really shallow and not very pronounced. I can feel the bumps and spikes on the base though, and I'm certain you could feel those even in soft.
// idra // lesbian //
-----------------------
Owned: See Profile
gooedneighbor

Postby gooedneighbor » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:53 pm

Keep in mind that BD's silicone is waaaay softer than more mainstream companies like Fun Factory generally use. To the point where the toys can actually be difficult to insert and thrust with. In the size range we're looking at, even BD's firm is going to feel super soft compared to your kegel balls. To put it numerically, Fun Factory uses a shore firmness of 20, while BD's firm is an 8, and their soft is a 3.

And so, if you're buying mini sizes at the moment, I'd actually recommend starting at firm and only working your way down if you find it necessary. Especially with smooth toys with narrow bits like Xar. Taking the girth shouldn't be an issue for you even in firm, so making sure the toy is still firm enough for you to use easily is probably a bigger priority.
kt~

Postby kt~ » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:04 pm

gooedneighbor wrote:Keep in mind that BD's silicone is waaaay softer than more mainstream companies like Fun Factory generally use. To the point where the toys can actually be difficult to insert and thrust with. In the size range we're looking at, even BD's firm is going to feel super soft compared to your kegel balls. To put it numerically, Fun Factory uses a shore firmness of 20, while BD's firm is an 8, and their soft is a 3.

Idk, it's debatable.
This whole "soft toys are harder to insert" is kind of a myth, to me......all my toys are soft firmness and I have no problems getting them to go in. Even my flared Chance, in extra soft firmness, doesn't require much struggle at all from me. And I find it easy to thrust, so I don't understand why everyone says it's not good for thrusting...

And actually I found it more difficult to insert the harder toys. The first toys I got were two super thin Tantus dildos and they hurt like hell, since Tantus's silicone is so hard. I wasn't able to toy properly until I got softer toys! If someone had recommended to me to buy firm toys, when I had started out, I would have sworn off toying altogether, like I almost did because the toys I had hurt so much.

So if OP wants to try soft toys, I say go for it, there are many people here who like soft firmness and can insert their toys just fine :psyduck:
~Kinzie~ :misc13: :cool: / Female / 23 / Otaku / Writer

One step on the road to recovery from past traumas.

20 Insertables/1 Penetrable/3 Vibes/4 Eggs
Pictures of my Collection
Kisa

Postby Kisa » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:24 am

If anything. I think picking up some sample silicone discs from BD may help you figure out what you want. Some people like REALLY soft toys, some like it a little firmer. My sweet spot is medium firmness. Usually I don't want anything softer or firmer than that. Some textured minis I would get in firm but that's because I'm textured insensitive and that's the only way I'll feel texture
Toys I own:
Lil Vibe (8) Crackers
Mini (5) Echo
Small (5) Ika
Medium (5) Echo
Medium (5) Roland

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”