Toy Cleaning and soap

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
3TK

Toy Cleaning and soap

Postby 3TK » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:18 pm

Hello!
So I - unfortunately - have recently found out I need to change the soap I use (I use the same brand to clean my toys). :sniffing:

So here are a few questions:
>What types of soaps do you use to clean your toys?
>Are there any soaps/cleaners I should stay away from?
>What chemicals should I avoid when choosing a soap/cleaner?

Thanks much in advance!!! And I apologize if this information can be found elsewhere, as I am in sort of a hurry or I'd look for it myself. :widesmile:
Rainbow Dasher

Re: Toy Cleaning and soap

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:22 pm

If I don't have toy cleaner, I just use antibacterial hand soap, the stuff in the pump. I use Palm Olive. It's cheap but works well. I've heard of people using Dawn dish soap and even LUSH products (if you have those at your disposal).

If you're in a rush, I would just grab some antibacterial hand soap.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
katze

Postby katze » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:50 pm

I just use Softsoap.

^ↀᴥↀ^
agender girl | queer | taken | 50 dildos | 14 eggs | 2 plugs | 3 penetrables | 1 wearable

ฅ(≚ᄌ≚)
toy collection in profile!
Syntyth

Postby Syntyth » Tue Jan 31, 2017 6:20 pm

I just use my normal hand soap: either Softsoap Wild Basil and Lime or Softsoap Rich Shea Butter. My understanding is that you can use pretty much any liquid soap, including dish soap. You just want to stay away from hard or bar soaps because those could damage your toys.
Toys I own are listed in my profile.

WTB (BD): specific models in Aurora ~ will pay well
WTB (non-BD): various squishies, lots of DA and FB

FOR SALE (BD): Lil' Vibe Sea Dragon and S/2 Ultimate Fantasy
FOR SALE (non-BD): DA Cucumber, DA Jackal, DA KrampusKitzler, FB Dromaeosaur, TnP mini Abyssal King, TnP mini Leviathan, and TnP mini Poseidon
mynickname

Postby mynickname » Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:19 am

Bar soaps are fine. With any soaps you probably don't want one that smells like anything as silicone does absorb smells. The fewer ingredients the better. Castile soaps are good.

The chemicals you don't want are the same with lube. Nothing silicone based, though I haven't heard of silicone based soap. Stay away from particles in the soap like glitter, gritty exfoliating things, etc... Those are more often found in bar soaps than liquid soaps. They could make small cuts in the toy.
3TK

Postby 3TK » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:18 am

mynickname wrote:Bar soaps are fine. With any soaps you probably don't want one that smells like anything as silicone does absorb smells. The fewer ingredients the better. Castile soaps are good.

The chemicals you don't want are the same with lube. Nothing silicone based, though I haven't heard of silicone based soap. Stay away from particles in the soap like glitter, gritty exfoliating things, etc... Those are more often found in bar soaps than liquid soaps. They could make small cuts in the toy.

Perfect! Exactly the information I needed!

I've been using Kirk's Castile (unscented) Soap for years. I absolutely love their bar soap and am just a fan of bar soap in-general (been cleaning them with my toys, no issues).

However, as of recently I've been having some personal problems with the soap
► Show Spoiler
, so I've been wanting to try out others to see if it's truly the soap causing the issue.
Since it's the same soap I wash my toys with, I definitely want it to be toy-friendly.

Although I only addressed one person, I appreciate all answers. Thank you so much for your input, folks. :widesmile:

If anyone else has any experiences or opinions to add, I would gladly hear them. :smilenox:
Grimly Fiendish

Postby Grimly Fiendish » Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:38 pm

I like Dr Bronner's bar soaps. I shower with toys as a last step, and that's when I do my initial toy cleanup. A lot of times, I only use Dr Bronner's soap for toy cleanup (which seems pure, no added colors etc). I wouldn't use Dove, Irish Spring or other similar bar soaps with lots of fragrances and added colors (because I hate those soaps anyway).

I also use dishwashing soap (the hand-washed kind) which dissolves oil-based lube quite well (if it's an oil-based lube session). Just a small spot of that soap goes a long way. Those soaps have artificial colors and fragrances, which I don't like, but the ability to cut through oil helps with cleanup. I typically boil toys after doing this, which helps eliminate soap smells, residues, IME.
BlastShelter

Postby BlastShelter » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:02 pm

A cheap liquid soap buyed in the supermarket who have FCF blue colorant.
I'll get you next time, Knot! Next time!
Last one alive lock the door.
3TK

Postby 3TK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:06 pm

Grimly Fiendish wrote:I like Dr Bronner's bar soaps. I shower with toys as a last step, and that's when I do my initial toy cleanup. A lot of times, I only use Dr Bronner's soap for toy cleanup (which seems pure, no added colors etc). I wouldn't use Dove, Irish Spring or other similar bar soaps with lots of fragrances and added colors (because I hate those soaps anyway).

I also use dishwashing soap (the hand-washed kind) which dissolves oil-based lube quite well (if it's an oil-based lube session). Just a small spot of that soap goes a long way. Those soaps have artificial colors and fragrances, which I don't like, but the ability to cut through oil helps with cleanup. I typically boil toys after doing this, which helps eliminate soap smells, residues, IME.

Good point about dishwashing soap. Depending on how I'm toying
► Show Spoiler
, it's not uncommon for me to use unrefined coconut oil as lube, so that's definitely something to consider. Thanks for the suggestion!

I also typically shower with my toys to wash them as well.
Years and years ago (before I swapped to Kirk's and before I started toying) I used Dr Bronners (my family preferred it). It might be worth a shot to take a look at that brand again.

Thanks a bunch for your input! :widesmile:

As always, if anyone else has their own experiences or opinions to add, I'm more than willing to listen. :smilenox:
patriot

Postby patriot » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:23 pm

We only you all natural soaps since my wife has very sensitive skin so we use it on our toys also. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but it's tea tree and eucalyptus soap that's naturally antibacterial.

So far nothing has absorbed any smells and it doesn't cause any irritation or anything.

We did try one in the past either soft soap or dial that was olive blossom scented and it did stick around on the toys pretty strongly. Now every time I smell olive flowers it makes me get a bit frisky. :laugh:
Male- Straight- 30
Happily married to a beautiful woman who loves to try to stuff new and interesting things up my butt. :smilenox:
Own
► Show Spoiler

3TK

Postby 3TK » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:34 pm

patriot wrote:We only you all natural soaps since my wife has very sensitive skin so we use it on our toys also. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but it's tea tree and eucalyptus soap that's naturally antibacterial.

So far nothing has absorbed any smells and it doesn't cause any irritation or anything. :

Oh? If you could find out the name of the brand, I'd be extremely grateful. :misc3: :smilenox:
patriot

Postby patriot » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:56 pm

3TK wrote:
patriot wrote:We only you all natural soaps since my wife has very sensitive skin so we use it on our toys also. Can't remember the name of it off the top of my head but it's tea tree and eucalyptus soap that's naturally antibacterial.

So far nothing has absorbed any smells and it doesn't cause any irritation or anything. :

Oh? If you could find out the name of the brand, I'd be extremely grateful. :misc3: :smilenox:

I had a nice long detailed reply but my internet went out when I hit submit so...

It's called artnaturals made in California I think.

It does have some soap type chemicals but they're plant based as far as I could tell from researching. However the first 18 or 19 ingredients are natural oils or essences. And no sulfates or parabins.

There are some others on Amazon that are more pure but they're a lot more expensive and not really soapy enough to feel clean.
Male- Straight- 30
Happily married to a beautiful woman who loves to try to stuff new and interesting things up my butt. :smilenox:
Own
► Show Spoiler

vixenvega

Postby vixenvega » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:58 pm

I second Dr. Bronners. I have super sensitive skin and I wash everything with it. Myself, my toys, my underwear, etc. I use both the liquid and the bar, both scented and unscented.
Alta

Postby Alta » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:54 am

I use the liquid soap I bought to clean my menstruation cup.
Female|24|Queer|Single|Proud cat mom|Animator student|Cartoon nerd|
3TK

Postby 3TK » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:58 am

Thank you so much for your replies, folks!

I'm glad to know that I (apparently) don't need to worry much about what sort of soap/cleaner I buy for my toys specifically.

I flip-flop from feeling I have sensitive skin to not, so I'm certainly open and listening to all suggestions given.
Currently the castile soap I've been using "should" be fine for sensitive skin, but since my problems from using it, I've been more open to looking into other sorts of soap.

Again, I thank everyone for their replies. And if anyone else has any opinions or experiences they would like to share, I would be more than willing to listen. :widesmile:
Jasmine

Postby Jasmine » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:57 pm

I would steer away from 'moisturizing' hand soaps because they'll be more likely to contain -cones.

Have you tried BD's toy cleaner?

Castile soaps are great, I would just recommend filling your sink with hot water and using a diluted amount of soap if it's transferring to your skin :\ You're supposed to dilute Dr. Bronner's for use on your skin because it can be a bit harsh otherwise. Kirk's might be similar, I don't have any experience with it.
ImageImage
3TK

Postby 3TK » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:03 pm

Jasmine wrote:I would steer away from 'moisturizing' hand soaps because they'll be more likely to contain -cones.

Have you tried BD's toy cleaner?

Castile soaps are great, I would just recommend filling your sink with hot water and using a diluted amount of soap if it's transferring to your skin :\ You're supposed to dilute Dr. Bronner's for use on your skin because it can be a bit harsh otherwise. Kirk's might be similar, I don't have any experience with it.

I haven't tried BD's Toy Cleaner, but next time I make a purchase (which, unfortunately, may be awhile from now considering shipping rates), I'll consider adding it to the cart and trying it out. :smilenox:
But since my funds are limited, and I use the soap to clean myself as well, it just seems more beneficial to look at soaps I could use for more than one purpose.
I do appreciate your suggestion, however! I just wish shipping rates weren't so high. :sniffing:

I actually didn't realize diluting the soap could help with my problem. I don't recall getting an instructions card with my (Kirk's) soap purchases, but if the two are similar then that could be why my skin's been having problems! It wouldn't hurt to try to dilute it to see if I get any different results. I appreciate the suggestion here! :misc6: :widesmile:

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”