Soaps/Ingredients to avoid?

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Cynic Dickic

Soaps/Ingredients to avoid?

Postby Cynic Dickic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:09 am

So while I've used the same soap several times now with no apparent problems I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything that might degrade my toys. It could just be that there's a small amount in the soap and the process is slow, but even if that isn't the case it would be good to know for the future. With that being said, what kinds of soap and specific ingredients should be avoided when washing your toys?
spiralcatfox

Re: Soaps/Ingredients to avoid?

Postby spiralcatfox » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:17 am

Cynic Dickic wrote:So while I've used the same soap several times now with no apparent problems I wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything that might degrade my toys. It could just be that there's a small amount in the soap and the process is slow, but even if that isn't the case it would be good to know for the future. With that being said, what kinds of soap and specific ingredients should be avoided when washing your toys?

Soaps that list any ingredients ending in -cone, like dimethicone. It's silicone, and might react poorly to toys...
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:47 pm

Other than soaps containing silicone, I can't think of much else that might worry your toys, soap wise. I tend to use antibacterial hand soap but in the past have used LUSH soaps, shower creams and jellies, and even generic shampoo when I actually didn't have any hand soap around.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Cynic Dickic

Postby Cynic Dickic » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 pm

spiralcatfox wrote:Soaps that list any ingredients ending in -cone, like dimethicone. It's silicone, and might react poorly to toys...

What about Methylchloroisothiazolinone or Methylisothiazolinone? I know they end in "-none" and not "-cone" but I don't know how chemical names are structured, and I can't be too careful.
spiralcatfox

Postby spiralcatfox » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:59 pm

Cynic Dickic wrote:What about Methylchloroisothiazolinone or Methylisothiazolinone? I know they end in "-none" and not "-cone" but I don't know how chemical names are structured, and I can't be too careful.

The -nones appear to be antibacterial agents to prevent bacteria and fungi from growing in the soap, from a quick google search

I like using castile soap for cleaning toys; its a blend of oils, lye/saponifying agent, glycerin (usually a byproduct of the reaction of the oil and lye, left in for hydrating purposes), and essential oils. It smells super nice, has a pretty short ingredient list, and doesn't leave a film on toys or skin
Cynic Dickic

Postby Cynic Dickic » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:07 am

I see, looks like the soap I've been using is fine then. Still, now I know what to look out for.

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”