Alternative to Sil-Poxy?

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Cynic Dickic

Alternative to Sil-Poxy?

Postby Cynic Dickic » Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:28 pm

So a while back I tore my Janine's Muzzle pretty badly, and I wanted to repair it but Sil-Poxy is rather expensive for me since I live in Canada and it looks to only be manufactured in the US. Recently though, I got a gift card for Amazon so I went back looking, to find that there's a new much cheaper option available. Thing is, I don't know if it's safe or not. It has some bad reviews, but so does Sil-Poxy so chances are those are just people who don't know how to use it properly.

https://www.amazon.ca/Devcon-12045-Premium-Silicone-Adhesive/dp/B001005TX2/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1524773536&sr=8-2&keywords=sil-poxy&dpID=51DobmMYA3L&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

As for the product itself, it's about two thirds of the price of a 0.5 oz tube of sil-poxy for more than triple the amount, and on top of that it's got free shipping. So does anyone have experience with this product, or know an alternative to Sil-Poxy that's less expensive for me? That Devcon brand silicone adhesive looks tempting, but I don't know if it's a good product or not.
sneks toys

Re: Alternative to Sil-Poxy?

Postby sneks toys » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:42 pm

If its THAT cheap, it probably ain't silicone. I would just use what is known to work instead of completely destroying a toy to save a few dollars.
F/♋/21/Bi/Monster Fucker

SELLING ON DRAGON HOARD https://dragon-hoard.com/threads/wts-mu ... -usa.4516/
frostcheeta

Postby frostcheeta » Thu May 10, 2018 3:07 pm

ok something you might be able to find or source that should be much cheaper than silpoxy yet in my experience works just as well is DAP aquarium silicone adhesive/sealant. its used in aquariums and has notes on it about be some level of food safe. I have used it for a few years, maybe it doesn't hold as well? but it held up plenty well on some of my toy repairs that the possible re-repair and low cost kinda outweighs silpoxy.

it should also keep fairly long to get several repairs with a few caveats, the screw cap tends to break so use something like part of a freezer ziplock bag or a few layers of plastic wrap or sandwich bag plastic over the tip before capping it, if it does break you can start using the nozzle tip which doesn't break but still keep using the plastic layer as additional protection. if you need more more than a few days after your repair you will likely have to dig out the plug of cured silicone before you can get to the still fresh stuff, I usually stick a small nail in around the edge of the tube opening and work it around to release the cured silicone before digging it out with the nail and some needle nose plyers or tweezers. also you need to use enough to give it a layer between the 2 repair spots, this isn't normal super glue that's thin and just a swipe will do you, if you repair enough times it should start building up a thick layer which if you want you can cut off with a very sharp and thin blade. if the repair doesn't hold after first use then you may not have let it cure long enough, wasn't clean enough before gluing or you didn't use enough.

small note on curing this stuff, it takes longer than silpoxy. the way I do it is I wash the toy very well and rinse very well, then I will stick it in the oven and bake it for 30 mins at like 200*f, turn off the oven and let it cool in there slowly, depending on the size it may take a while. if your not going to glue right when its done in the oven put it right into an unused plastic food storage bag, sandwhich bag or plastic wrap, you want to keep dust off it till you glue it. once you do glue it I let it cure about 12-24 hours at room temp and then bake it again for 30 mins at 200*f and let cool, then I give it a little more time after that, I try to give it at least a full 24 total cure time over all (that includes the cool down after baking) but you can go longer, generally if it hasn't cured after 7 days it didn't get enough moisture or off gas enough to cure.

I know this is a bit long but hope it helps.
Cynic Dickic

Postby Cynic Dickic » Thu May 10, 2018 4:32 pm

frostcheeta wrote: :words:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't really have the privacy to bake my toy in the oven multiple times. I think I'll just wait until I have the disposable money to buy Sil-Poxy. Thanks anyways.
frostcheeta

Postby frostcheeta » Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 pm

Cynic Dickic wrote:
frostcheeta wrote: :words:

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't really have the privacy to bake my toy in the oven multiple times. I think I'll just wait until I have the disposable money to buy Sil-Poxy. Thanks anyways.

no problem, tho I should mention you don't have to, it will likely still be fine even if you don't bake the toy (I only recently did the baking and previous repairs have held up decently). I just wanted to include it cause it might help strengthen the bond and get you back to playing with the toy sooner.

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”