International Shipping UPS or Fedex?

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Geko91

International Shipping UPS or Fedex?

Postby Geko91 » Mon May 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Hello,

i am living in germany and want to order some toys.
Now there are a few options for shipping:

Fedex International Economy (4-5days) 42,88$
Fedex International Priority (2-4days) 44,33$
UPS Wordlwide Expidited (2-5days) 44,68$
UPS Worldwide Saver ( 1-3 days) 46,84$
UPS Worldwide Express ( 1-3 days) 47,73$

So for me, whats the differenecte between these options? is there maybe also difference for the custom clearence?

hope u guys can help me
Ghost_the_Crow

Re: International Shipping UPS or Fedex?

Postby Ghost_the_Crow » Mon May 20, 2019 8:59 pm

I originally just went for the least expensive which is fedex.
Never had any problem with it. Just make sure you are there to receive your package. Alternatively you can call them and ask for a specific time for your delivery but that won’t work all the time.

As for paying customs, you‘ll receive a bill from fedex as they are handling that stuff for you.
Asexual / Gyneromantic / Probably Trans or Genderfluid(?) / Loves Cuddling

"Of course I know what I'm doing." I said, knowing that I didn't.
Padre

Postby Padre » Tue May 21, 2019 12:46 am

I've done both Fedex and UPS (to Germany too), and in my opinion Fedex was A LOT less trouble. Fedex handles the customs fee for you, so it went quicker and with no worry of "oh God oh no am I seriously gonna have to drive all the way to the Zollamt and pick it up personally? Uugghh". Just in general was a lot more chill of a delivery.
Only downside is that with Fedex you pay like 8€ "handling fee" extra, but like, what's 8€ more by this point?
—German|Artist|Bisexual—
Pseudo cleric with a preference for dragon dongs.

[Owned: Flint|Pretzal|Nox|Hunter|Bruce|Zaratan|Plenty non-BD >>Listed on profile!]
Geko91

Postby Geko91 » Tue May 21, 2019 4:13 am

I thought fedex AND Ups do the clearence thing. The only difference is that you have to pay the ups deliver man with cash and with fedex you can pay with your bank account.

What was the difference for you?

Next to my hometown there i have an ups shop. Thats i would prefer ups at the first sight. But dont know what ups shipping method i should chose or if there is any noticeable difference between expidated, saver and express
Cenwen

Postby Cenwen » Tue May 21, 2019 4:35 am

Geko91 wrote:I thought fedex AND Ups do the clearence thing. The only difference is that you have to pay the ups deliver man with cash and with fedex you can pay with your bank account.

This is what my experience is, too. FedEx just drops the parcel off and sends the invoice for customs later. UPS requires you to pay the fees upon delivery. In cash and as accurately as you can because the drivers rarely have much change on them. Which is fun because so far I didn't find any way to see beforehand how much it will be exactly. I'm glad FedEx is currently the cheapest option for shipping for me.

The only times I had to go to the customs office was when the package was sent by USPS or the Canadian equivalent. And not by companies, but toys I bought second hand.
Padre

Postby Padre » Tue May 21, 2019 6:19 am

Geko91 wrote:I thought fedex AND Ups do the clearence thing. The only difference is that you have to pay the ups deliver man with cash and with fedex you can pay with your bank account.

What was the difference for you?

Next to my hometown there i have an ups shop. Thats i would prefer ups at the first sight. But dont know what ups shipping method i should chose or if there is any noticeable difference between expidated, saver and express

Basically, the difference between Fedex and UPS is that Fedex pays the customs clearance for you, and then sends you an invoice for that later on.
UPS doesn't do that, there you have to pay the fee at the door, and if you're unlucky, you might even have to drive to the customs office to get your package and pay in person. Sometimes they demand that if they think something is fishy, which does occasionally happen with (larger) toy orders.

Even if you have an UPS shop next town over, if something is wrong with your package and you're asked to come in in person, you won't be cited to that UPS shop, but instead to the customs office where your package got stuck, which (depending on where you live) can be a multiple hour drive.

Going off of personal experience, I would highly recommend Fedex. That drive to the customs office is not fun.
—German|Artist|Bisexual—

[Owned: Flint|Pretzal|Nox|Hunter|Bruce|Zaratan|Plenty non-BD >>Listed on profile!]
Geko91

Postby Geko91 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:34 am

That ups center is also the airport where the parcel should arrive from the US. So i think i am also save with ups.

For myself i have absolutels no expierience with fedex.
So there should be no big difference between ups or fedex at all.
Padre

Postby Padre » Tue May 21, 2019 6:49 am

Geko91 wrote:That ups center is also the airport where the parcel should arrive from the US. So i think i am also save with ups.

For myself i have absolutels no expierience with fedex.
So there should be no big difference between ups or fedex at all.

Again, that really doesn't matter. You seem to think that it goes US >> UPS center >> Your doorstep, when instead it goes US >> UPS center >> CUSTOMS OFFICE (most likely in a different city) >> UPS center >> Your doorstep. It might even make a big detour through half of Germany after arriving at that first center, in order to get to the customs office. If a package gets stuck, it almost always gets stuck at the customs office, not in a delivery center, so it really hardly matters where the next delivery center is.

If you have your mind set on UPS, sure, go ahead, but don't say I didn't warn you. After half a dozen deliveries from the US I can tell you that the only times I had to haul my ass to the customs office was with UPS, since FedEx handles that part on their own. Plus, of course, the issue of having to pay a mystery amount of cash at the doorstep with UPS --- I always paid more with those 'cause they never had change.
—German|Artist|Bisexual—

Lipton

Postby Lipton » Tue May 21, 2019 7:40 am

Definetly Fedex. Was using UPS for around 2 years. It's hecking annoying that they charge you at the Door. They never have change and if you don't email them first you don't even know how much you have to pay.

Fedex lately is even the cheaper option. They deliver the package and you get an invoice some weeks later on. No trouble there and even if you're not home your neighbour can get the package because there is no payment involved.
Toys I want to buy:
- Elypse Art: Neo & Vixen
- BD April Fool Toys: Red Rocket & Fire Hydrant

I'm located in Germany, feel free to send me a message if you're selling one of these.

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”