Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
DragonWolf

Re: Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Postby DragonWolf » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:16 pm

Thank you, BlackSheep.

I guess oil paint can work for a pigment then?
BD Collection/Selling/Wishlist | Furaffinity
ಥ_ಥ |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥
Sold To: Maya, no space, BlackSheep, sawbones, Randomgirl, krazyokami, friskychicken, Greylopt, SilentRaven, samba1, Nappa077, Foxanne, The Truth Teller, AURELIANA, Spacemutt, CuriousLurker,brokentofu
Bought From: juichigatsu, Dangerkittie, coffeedragon, Ginasa, Ice Kitten, IntWiCe, wildwolf
Traded With: Corinth
ಥ_ಥ |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥
Feel free to PM questions about my buying and selling experiences!
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:07 pm

I have heard that it can, but have not personally tried it myself. If you have some lying around it certainly won't hurt to mix up a really small dab and see what happens.
FlashFuschia

Postby FlashFuschia » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:02 pm

I wouldn't use oil paint as a pigment. Since it's oil based, it NEVER completely dries. What's wrong with using food coloring?
Let's go bake some cookies, boys!
Puppylove87

Postby Puppylove87 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:50 am

Ohhhhhhoooooo i have been mixing Rubber contact glue and supper glue to mixed results, mainely it is like sand paper. so dont try my method, it is rugh.

But now i know what i need.

THX

PL
frostcheeta

Postby frostcheeta » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:49 pm

ok its been a while since i said id test out the aquarium silicone sealant stuff and i finally got around to it, seems to have the same effect as sil-poxy, altho you may have to be more liberal with it it seemed to hold a cut i put in a test disk just the same as sil-poxy only it took longer to set up. now my tube of this stuff is fairly old so that may have been why it took a little longer to cure and it took more to adhere but it seems to work just the same and easier to get and cheaper. now id prefer if someone else double checked this on their own to ensure what i have found will work aswell but from what i have seen no damage was done to the test disk.

so in short DAP silicon aquarium sealant is similar and may work in place of sil-poxy, they are both one part silicon, the DAP product is used in kitchen and aquarium settings, can be obtained from hardware stores for fairly cheap. it will dry up exposed to moisture, keep it tightly sealed. your experience may differ but the tests i have done work well.
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:12 pm

A good majority of RTV silicone sealers/epoxies do not vary that drastically from Silpoxy.

The difference is that the first are sealers and epoxies, made specifically for industrial applications, and Silpoxy is made specifically to adhere silicone to more silicone. I don't recommend using the former for anything you put in your body, although it may work well enough to hold a penetrateable toy together. Its firmness is not guaranteed either, although in my experience is not that much harder than the 40A shore hardness of Silpoxy.
QuiteMandragora

Postby QuiteMandragora » Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:47 pm

While I have no tears in my toy, this seems to be the best place to post about general damage.

I've only had my clayton for a couple of weeks, and it's already started getting a bit grainy, should I be worried?
FluffyFaline

Postby FluffyFaline » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:08 pm

QuiteMandragora wrote:While I have no tears in my toy, this seems to be the best place to post about general damage.

I've only had my clayton for a couple of weeks, and it's already started getting a bit grainy, should I be worried?

I'd double check the lube you're using isn't degrading the toy. keep some on a sample disk for a day and see if there's any change.
QuiteMandragora

Postby QuiteMandragora » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:14 am

I'm using the BD cumlube, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Could it be the soap I'm using to clean it out with though? It's an anti-bacterial hand-soap that specifically says to keep away from marble, limestone, and stainless steel.

If it can do damage to rock and steel, perhaps it's doing the same towards silicone?

I'll test it out.
cerberin

Postby cerberin » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:49 pm

I was just contemplating ways to put a thin coat of silicone over a toy or to degrade the exterior slightly to take some of the roughness out of the marks left by 3d printing.

Any thoughts on this?
Grimm

Postby Grimm » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:14 am

cerberin wrote:I was just contemplating ways to put a thin coat of silicone over a toy or to degrade the exterior slightly to take some of the roughness out of the marks left by 3d printing.

Any thoughts on this?

Use a condom?
[ My Toylist ] (fetlife)
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:56 am

Even a very thin layer will likely end up leaving your toy glossy, completely smooth.

This is getting past the problem of silicone being finicky, and half of the time it will not adhere fully to silicone that is already cured.

Degrading the exterior is...yeah, no.
QuiteMandragora

Postby QuiteMandragora » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:00 pm

QuiteMandragora wrote:I'm using the BD cumlube, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Could it be the soap I'm using to clean it out with though? It's an anti-bacterial hand-soap that specifically says to keep away from marble, limestone, and stainless steel.

If it can do damage to rock and steel, perhaps it's doing the same towards silicone?

I'll test it out.

Leaving it on the discs seems to not have done any over time.
Is it common for toys to get a bit grainier after the first uses? Like some excess layer gets removed or something?
Sekioh

Postby Sekioh » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:07 pm

Gah! Was gonna whip out the silpoxy to repair my Natascha again, and it's gummed up, I can squish the whole pack, so it's all still liquid past the cap part, and I did a little circle around the inner screw-cap part and pulled out that, but apparantly where it just gets wider in the cone shape that's gummed up too, so poking holes inward with narrow pointy objects is still not helping D:!!!
Miklagard

Postby Miklagard » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:03 pm

For me living in the EU this solution thing isn't available.

Does someone know which other brands and products do the same thing?
Yacov

Postby Yacov » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:26 pm

Just a heads up, the clear bad dragon lube actually does damage to toys. The cum lube on the other hand is perfectly safe, now the damage was mainly seen to be discoloration but ehhh still not so sure.
Raylor

Postby Raylor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:37 pm

Yacov wrote:Just a heads up, the clear bad dragon lube actually does damage to toys. The cum lube on the other hand is perfectly safe, now the damage was mainly seen to be discoloration but ehhh still not so sure.

the clear cumlube is the main type of lube i use and i havent seen any discolouration on any of my toys, plus i dont think Bad Dragon would sell it if it damaged there toys.

so there is probably another reason for the discolouration maybe its how you clean them or store them?
Yacov

Postby Yacov » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Raylor wrote:
Yacov wrote:Just a heads up, the clear bad dragon lube actually does damage to toys. The cum lube on the other hand is perfectly safe, now the damage was mainly seen to be discoloration but ehhh still not so sure.

the clear cumlube is the main type of lube i use and i havent seen any discolouration on any of my toys, plus i dont think Bad Dragon would sell it if it damaged there toys.

so there is probably another reason for the discolouration maybe its how you clean them or store them?

Check here this is the lube compatibility list
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15302

This is only if you don't clean your toys right away, I tested the clear on a sample disk and when the clear stuff dries it apparently shrinks and tightens up which will leave pressure marks behind which goes away, (which is what I guess the discoloration I was seeing. I doubt it's going to be anything to really worry about this was tested by myself as well as others, and these things are expensive so im really anal about them. heh get it, anal. But yeah it's safe ultimately just don't think I would advise leaving it on your toys for a while.
wowplayer77

Postby wowplayer77 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm not sure if there is a list elsewhere, but I remembered seeing this thread a while back and just wanted to add some knowledge.

After a lot of procrastination, I finally decided to repair the rather large tear on the inside of my dragoness, but I also procrastinated buying the high-grade sil-poxy for the job. Well, it finally crossed my mind in the right place at the right time and I went to a hardware store and picked up some "Devcon home: Silicone Adhesive." Of course I tested it on a sample disk first and while it's still within the first 24 hours of full cure, it seems to be holding very well with no degradation in the material of the disk. It also seems to retain it's elasticity under some pretty rough treatment so I'm confident that this will work.

I know it seems to be more industrial geared than is necessary, but for about $4 bucks for a 50g tube, I think it's pretty damn good. If it works, it works.
It's about time I made one of these:
My wishlist!

► Show Spoiler
Wistala

Postby Wistala » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Anyone know of a good adhesive I could purchase through Amazon that would work just as well as the sil-poxy? I hate having to fork over $12 shipping for a container so small for an item that's only $11.
Click this link to read my serial novel: Niara's Song
Leonidas Aquilas, an ex soldier, and Niara, a dragoness from the old world, find themselves as lovers and allies in a war against a terrifyingly powerful foe seeking to conquer their entire world.
Bad Dragon toys:
Janine - Reef Green - NSFW Review - Dragon Muzzle - Dark Natural
Elden - Blossom Pink - Medium 5 - Flared Chance - Yellow and Pink Marble - Medium 8 - Kelvin - Grey - Small 3
ImageImage

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”