Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
zeejay

Re: Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Postby zeejay » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, I wasted a bit of it because I was trying to use as little as possible and it got soaked up in my cotton swab, but I decided to just glob about a pea size on the wound and my cotton swab was now a silicone swab, so I was able to keep it on the toy and voila~! :lol:

It's not completely smooth, so it has a very, very light "scratch" to it, but I kind of like the feel of it so :ugeek:
Whee!
Kistaro

Postby Kistaro » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:47 am

Update, by the way: This worked just fine for repairing the surface damage (from contact with a cheap, crappy, not-safe-for-mucus-membranes toy) of my Seadragon! Also, yes, the large Ziploc totes are safe for Bad Dragon toys, as far as I could tell by tucking my sample disc in with the tote inside its tight cardboard box for a week. I'm using that to segregate my toybox safely now.

The best-case scenario for this is if the Bad Dragon toy came temporarily into contact with a flat surface of another toy, and the result is a denatured sticky area of the surface. A light coating of Sil-Poxy works great here- follow basically the same directions. There's no coating that is invisible (because of different light reflectivity profiles), but it can be nearly so with no change in texture in this case; it's a simple, effective repair for the toy.

Mine was worse; a narrow bit was pressed in against the knot of my Seadragon, leaving a small pit. Careful application of Sil-Poxy like spackle seems to have worked fine, but, unsurprisingly, it's more noticeable. If I could do it again- and, fate willing, I'll never need to- I'd probably have just spent the better part of a day repeating the process to build up thin layers in that area. The patch isn't great there, but it seems to be sturdy and likely to hold just fine.

So: If you managed to botch storage and denature limited areas of the silicone, you can patch it just fine this way. Then go buy a $4 Extra Large Flexible Ziploc Tote and segregate your toys properly and solve the problem for the foreseeable future, 'kay? Don't be like me!

(Bad Dragon staff: you should probably sell totes like that...)
Zoen

Postby Zoen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:04 am

BlackSheep wrote:Yeah, unfortunately neither Smooth-On nor Reynolds takes Paypal.

I was thinking about this today and since I actually have a use for the stuff I was considering buying a bunch of small and large tubes, and reselling them to you guys when you need them. No mark-ups or anything, and there'd be no $20 limit.

Got any update on this? :3
Toy collection: Roland, Fenrir, Clayton, Wuffamute, Tucker, Gryphon, Crackers, Cole, Sleipnir, Stan, Shark.
All listed toys are in their largest available size.
Toypics profile
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:26 pm

Zoen wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:Yeah, unfortunately neither Smooth-On nor Reynolds takes Paypal.

I was thinking about this today and since I actually have a use for the stuff I was considering buying a bunch of small and large tubes, and reselling them to you guys when you need them. No mark-ups or anything, and there'd be no $20 limit.

Got any update on this? :3

Unfortunately, no. Sil-Poxy only has a few reliable suppliers and unfortunately all of the options have been listed. I believe that BlackSheep had mentioned buying several for resale to forum members and Nemekh had mentioned investigating stocking it in the store. Contacting BlackSheep or someone else who can place the order for you may be the best option for now.
Condoms make impractically large water balloons. ... experience is a scary thing.

Straight male with no mate, mistress or pets. Looking for the first, but it could be fun to have any of the rest.

Damaged toy? Worry not, I can teach you to fix it.
Anthro Dragoness: If you think she's good hot, try her cold.
I've also adopted a naughty little Werewolf.
My BD bio -updated 9/10/2011
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Torakazu wrote:
Zoen wrote:Got any update on this? :3

Unfortunately, no. Sil-Poxy only has a few reliable suppliers and unfortunately all of the options have been listed. I believe that BlackSheep had mentioned buying several for resale to forum members and Nemekh had mentioned investigating stocking it in the store. Contacting BlackSheep or someone else who can place the order for you may be the best option for now.

Why are you responding to that when I am the one that needs to give an answer? Yes, I said I would do so. However when Nemekh said they'd look into it I backed down. I have no idea how long it will take for them, and I don't really need to be getting myself into trouble.
If a few of you still want me to do this let me know and we'll work something out, unless staff has an issue with it.
Zoen

Postby Zoen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:19 pm

BlackSheep wrote:If a few of you still want me to do this let me know and we'll work something out, unless staff has an issue with it.

Like I've said, I really need to get me one to repair my Dragoness but (1) my only option is PayPal, and (2) the only site I've found with it that takes PayPal wants a $20 minimum order when the tube itself only costs $11.40.

I don't want to go and buy an extra $9 of stuff I'm likely never going to use just to get Sil-Poxy to repair my Dragoness with.
Toy collection: Roland, Fenrir, Clayton, Wuffamute, Tucker, Gryphon, Crackers, Cole, Sleipnir, Stan, Shark.
Toypics profile
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Zoen wrote:I don't want to go and buy an extra $9 of stuff I'm likely never going to use just to get Sil-Poxy to repair my Dragoness with.

And I don't want to waste $70 buying a few little tubes if no one else is interested.
Zoen

Postby Zoen » Sat Jan 07, 2012 3:06 am

BlackSheep wrote:
Zoen wrote:I don't want to go and buy an extra $9 of stuff I'm likely never going to use just to get Sil-Poxy to repair my Dragoness with.

And I don't want to waste $70 buying a few little tubes if no one else is interested.

I'll just go ahead and get it then, was trying to save money since I don't have a physical job, and my Second Life DJing gig only nets me so much due to being paid only in tips.

(EDIT)

Looks like that's on hold again because they're wanting $10+ for shipping a total weight of 0.5 pounds. ¬_¬
Toypics profile
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:05 am

I need more silicone myself and will be ordering later this week.

I would prefer anyone who needs a tube let me know about it now. I will add it into the order.

And I shouldn't have to say this, but if anyone decides to be a dick to me about it at all from this point you will not get one.
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:25 pm

'Kay, I've got a couple tubes.
Zoen

Postby Zoen » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:41 pm

I must thank you tons for this little tutorial post. Took me 4 stages of applications since I did everything in small steps, but I think she's patched up quite nicely. Waited 20 minutes between each application just to stay on the safe side.

dragoness.PNG
Before and after photo.
Toypics profile
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:20 am

You're very welcome Zoen. I just wish it wasn't such a pain in the ass to find a good supplier for Sil-Poxy.
Condoms make impractically large water balloons. ... experience is a scary thing.

Straight male with no mate, mistress or pets. Looking for the first, but it could be fun to have any of the rest.

Sogeh

Postby Sogeh » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks a lot! I just noticed a small tear on the left lip of my anthro mare, pretty much at the same spot as your dragoness' (after only one month of not-so-intense use!), and was unsure how to go about fixing it. It's rather small so I think it shouldn't really be a problem for now but if I see it spreading dangerously or get a bigger tear somewhere else I'll try to get my hands on some Sil-Poxy.
frostcheeta

Postby frostcheeta » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:53 pm

same stuff happened to my anthro husky, first use and it started tearing and i wasnt really rough on it, just bought some from farwest materials and fixed it as best i can
chaosB

Postby chaosB » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:28 pm

Just wanted to post this to thank Torakazu, as using this guide I was able to fix a small rip that developed on my anthro husky toy, potentially keeping it from getting any worse and eventually ruining the toy.

$20 for a tube of sil-poxy(that's including shipping mind) is much better than $120ish for a replacement(not to mention so much faster to arrive), so thanks for the guide.

Also, in case anyone is worried about the difference in hardness, sil-poxy, when dried seems to be slightly stiffer, but not to an extent that would really be noticeable.
Sekioh

Postby Sekioh » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Ugh yeah, wtf with the prices @[email protected] I'm not gonna use a toothpaste sized tube for $20+!

*sigh* I knew they were prone to tearing, but really 3 uses and my husky already has a gash at the very top due to the very acute angle it is poured in.

In that initial post, theres a tiny tube, nobody has any posts with store names or links, the one on the main post is broken link and forwards to some other site now. :S Googling Sil-poxy shows up nearly nothing relevant other than the huge tube for $30.
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:05 pm

Thanks for the notice about the broken link. Guess I'm going to have to find yet another supplier.

The one that's there doesn't redirect me to another place, but it is showing that they're down for maintenance.

No matter where you shop, Sil-Poxy will be expensive. It's a specialty adhesive and there's not much out there that can provide the same results. I don't like paying the small fortune for it either, but them's the breaks.

I'll have the link updated to a working location within the next couple of hours.

Edit - Methinks you should strengthen your Google-fu. I found two with the 1/2 oz tube in less then ten minutes.

http://www.douglasandsturgess.com/product/AM-1049.html

http://www.reynoldsam.com/Epoxy,-Silico ... catdepth=1

Sekioh

Postby Sekioh » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Wasn't really my guugelfu :U I was at work most of the week long hours so at night I took a 5 min break and looked at top 10 listings of different search words, just didn't know what sizes it came in so only used words like 'small' and 'silpoxy' :P Knowing what number size tubes probably helps narrow down the search listings a bit.
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:36 pm

Well, at least now you know where to find the .5 oz tube. The 3 is the better deal by volume, but unless you're doing some serious mold repairs, you're not likely to ever need that much.

Sekioh

Postby Sekioh » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:29 pm

Yeah I ordered some this morning. The one has one of those stupid $20 minimums, and the other has stupidly high shipping that came to $20 anyway. :<

I did figure as much so I only went for the 1/2oz cause I figure it looks like from the howto that you only need the thin layer between the tear so with how little heat paste I use for computers out of their 1/4oz little syringes that I'd be using a tiny amount and just spreading it thin.

Also I hear people praise the stuff and then not have problems again, why does it even tear in the first place if a single fix makes all better and not tear again in a different spot?

I mean I know it 'unravels' easily once a tear does start but as long as theres no gash's they can stretch a lot (Varka stuck arm through one?) yes my little ol' dick liberally lubed and gently used causes two little parallel rips at the top after about 4 uses? Somethings wrong with the logics of that. :|

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”