Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers from other Forum users and customers!
PLEASE NOTE that if you require a reply from a Staff member, you will need to send in a support ticket! Visit help.bad-dragon.com for more information.
Jacob

Re: Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Postby Jacob » Sat May 26, 2012 7:17 pm

I found a bit more info for this Sil-Poxy product.

An MSDS (Material Data Safety Sheet) although it appears to be for the product in its uncured state.

http://www.smooth-on.com/msds/files/Silpoxy.pdf

and a Technical Bulletin:

http://www.smooth-on.com/tb/files/Sil_Poxy_Silicone_Adhesive.pdf

some things I thought were worth noting:

* In their tests they stretched their compound to 750% the stretched length until it broke, and a tensile strength of 750 PSI, this stuff is strong!

* its shore A hardness is 40 so it's a great deal more firm than BD silicone (which I believe is 3, 5 and 8; soft, medium and firm) but when used in such small amounts, such as repairing small tears I doubt it would be noticeable.

* In the preparation section they recommend abrading the surface and cleaning with a solvent to aid in adhesion.

I have a couple toys that I am planning on repairing so if anyone has purchased an extra tube I will gladly pay for it.

Once I get my hands on some I think I'll hack up a sample disc to test some application methods to see what works best.
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Sun May 27, 2012 2:35 pm

The additional firmness can be noticed if you're looking for it. Usually though, the amount is so minute that you're not going to care, even if you do feel it during a toying session. I've also found that with one of the repairs to my dragoness that wasn't so neat, the tougher patch is actually quite stimulating.

As for the prepping, abrading the inside of a tear, especially one you don't want to get any larger, can be a very difficult task. A solvent followed by a purified water rinse however will likely further aid adhesion. Just make sure that everything is dry before putting in the Sil-Poxy.

Do share your research on application methods. I've so far found that basic model repair technique (like I used for the tutorial) works very well, but there is always room for improvement.
Condoms make impractically large water balloons. ... experience is a scary thing.

Straight male with no mate, mistress or pets. Looking for the first, but it could be fun to have any of the rest.

Damaged toy? Worry not, I can teach you to fix it.
Anthro Dragoness: If you think she's good hot, try her cold.
I've also adopted a naughty little Werewolf.
My BD bio -updated 9/10/2011
zeejay

Postby zeejay » Mon May 28, 2012 6:08 pm

Jacob wrote:* In the preparation section they recommend abrading the surface and cleaning with a solvent to aid in adhesion.

Hmm... I wonder if repairing my Husky might work better if I cut some scores first.
Whee!
Mercurio

Postby Mercurio » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 am

Heya, I signed up for this forum because I urgently need some help with a tear in my Husky.

The tear looks almost exactly like the one in Wundurra's toy, as it is in the same spot. Problem is, I can't find a single store that ships Sil-Poxy to Germany. They all ship to USA/Canada only and I already wrote a ticket about it, but BD staff told me I'd have to have a friend from abroad order some of the stuff and send it over to me.
Unfortunately I barely know anyone from the USA, and since I'm in a different timezone I can barely get in touch with anyone (or any shop) that could help me with the shipping.

Are there any alternatives, anything that I could use instead of Sil-Poxy? I'd even buy it through BD if they offered it.

Thanks for your time
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:51 am

I need to head on over to my storage unit today anyway, I have a couple tubes of the stuff in there, specifically in case other people wanted some.

They're the littler tubes but enough to fix up your Husky.

I forget if I have two or three extra, but if anyone else needs any let me know. I'll post again when I've got them in hand.
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:02 pm

I have two of the .5oz tubes of SilPoxy from Smooth-On. They are unopened.
zeejay

Postby zeejay » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:29 pm

How much for each? I want to try to repair my Husky again, but the tube I had has dried out :'(

Also, you might want to PM Mercurio (if you haven't yet) :P
Whee!
Shasme

Postby Shasme » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 pm

Just had to patch up my husky after only two or so uses. Was rather upset to find a nasty tear on the top of her (along the opening on the top). Really hope this works given the depth of it. Know it can happen but be my luck for it to be so bad on my first BD toy. Not that im saying there bad quality or anything.

You guys weren't kidding with insane shipping stuff, $11 for a $12 item. At least i got it in 3 days so not all bad.

Update:
Well it seems the fix didn't hold, or at least all of it. Starting to make me one sad puppy. Tried resealing the rest of the rip but used some flat toothpicks that i normally use for modeling to apply the glue. Hopefully 2nd time is the charm
PX1K

Postby PX1K » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:58 pm

It seems a lot of people are having trouble with tearing Natasha at the moment, I myself have just become one of them only after two uses whilst using plenty of cum lube (which also leaks out of its bottle) and not hammering it. I'm not really upset but for the price I didn't expect it to start to tear so soon. Bad Dragon have a good reputation for having high quality stuff, I must just be unfortunate.

I want to repair it using this stuff but I'm seriously deterred by the fact it's so much harder than the actual silicone used on the toy. Is there no better alternative like maybe just ignoring it because of how thick the toys are?
Here is an image of the tear (Page stretcher):
It's a pretty deep tear considering.
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Wed Jun 27, 2012 3:02 pm

There lies the biggest problem. There aren't very many adhesives that are flexible and safe for use with Platinum cure silicone. They also have to be safe for use with the body as well. The difference in firmness is actually quite minute unless you're looking for it or have had to repair some MAJOR tearing (an inch deep or more). I currently do not know of any other adhesive that meets the needed requirements and is softer. I also do not know of any way to soften Sil-Poxy. It's short pot life makes just coloring difficult unless you know what you're doing well ahead of time.

Looking at the tear, I can see why you're concerned.
Condoms make impractically large water balloons. ... experience is a scary thing.

Straight male with no mate, mistress or pets. Looking for the first, but it could be fun to have any of the rest.

Damaged toy? Worry not, I can teach you to fix it.
Anthro Dragoness: If you think she's good hot, try her cold.
I've also adopted a naughty little Werewolf.
My BD bio -updated 9/10/2011
Annubrius

Postby Annubrius » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:26 pm

Great advice. :D
"Most Evils Are Caused By Man's Inability To Sit Still In A Room."
Vote for the Iic'horrin's design!: Here!

Proud owner of:
Anthro Dragon - Royal Purple - Small - 5
Duke - M - 5- Pumpkin Orange?- Surprise me!
Anthro Dragon -M - Cored - Custom W/ CT
Chance -5- M- 'Streulicht'- Vibrant Purple / Black
Small David - Hot Pink -3 / Medium David - Dark Natural - 5
Raylor

Postby Raylor » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 am

PX1K wrote:It seems a lot of people are having trouble with tearing Natasha at the moment, I myself have just become one of them only after two uses whilst using plenty of cum lube (which also leaks out of its bottle) and not hammering it. I'm not really upset but for the price I didn't expect it to start to tear so soon. Bad Dragon have a good reputation for having high quality stuff, I must just be unfortunate.

I want to repair it using this stuff but I'm seriously deterred by the fact it's so much harder than the actual silicone used on the toy. Is there no better alternative like maybe just ignoring it because of how thick the toys are?
Here is an image of the tear (Page stretcher):
[img]K2AvY.jpg[/img]
It's a pretty deep tear considering.

trust me dont ignore the tear or this might happen to you to!
Nat tear.jpg

i unfortunatly havent found a place to get sil-poxy at a reasonable price here in Australia so i decided to ignore the tiny tear and then after a few more uses this is what she now looks like and she is unusable due to the tears scraping me.
PX1K

Postby PX1K » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:24 am

I'm not going to use her now until I can somehow get it fixed.

It's kind of frustrating that after only two uses it's unusable without damaging it more like that disaster.
Why can't these toys be covered by warranty for damage even for just a week or something. The price didn't really reflect the quality in this instance.
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Hm...
I'm wondering if anyone's willing to let me attempt to patch up a penetrateable toy with silicones that are similar in firmness to BD's options, as opposed to the sil-poxy? With a little solvent and some additional marks it should stick better, and I have more time to attempt to color it right.
Raylor

Postby Raylor » Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:06 am

BlackSheep wrote:Hm...
I'm wondering if anyone's willing to let me attempt to patch up a penetrateable toy with silicones that are similar in firmness to BD's options, as opposed to the sil-poxy? With a little solvent and some additional marks it should stick better, and I have more time to attempt to color it right.

well you have my attention and the use of my husky if you think you can repair somthing that is torn as bad as she is.
only one thing where in the world are you and how much would it cost to get her to you? and would it be worth it in the end after postage?
Shasme

Postby Shasme » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:51 pm

I pretty much have given up trying to fix my husky. Have used a few mixes and what not with little luck. Is she just prone to tearing or are all the penetrable toys victim of this? Would like to get a dragoness but have to say this is kinda hurting the chances of it sadly.
frostcheeta

Postby frostcheeta » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:07 pm

i also have given up patching the natascha, just keeps tearing each time, i do however watch it closely, if i see it tearing more, i do patch it so it doesnt get any bigger, i will try to get around to testing the DAP aquarium sealant this week on a test disk and see what happens so folks will know there may be another much cheaper option (this stuff is ment for aquariums but also food surfaces)
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:21 am

I suppose I also should say I have the above purple Natascha currently.

Progress is slow on my end, unfortunately I am low on time, but from what I see it is patchable with two part silicone. It so far seems to be working better than silpoxy.

I will post pictures following completion.
DragonWolf

Postby DragonWolf » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:46 pm

Would it be possible to use the Sil-Poxy for something like a small hole, or just tears exclusively? I am thinking since it isn't really adhering two pieces fully together that it might not be a good idea. :?

Any ideas on how to add a red pigment as well?
BD Collection/Selling/Wishlist | Furaffinity
ಥ_ಥ |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥
Sold To: Maya, no space, BlackSheep, sawbones, Randomgirl, krazyokami, friskychicken, Greylopt, SilentRaven, samba1, Nappa077, Foxanne, The Truth Teller, AURELIANA, Spacemutt, CuriousLurker,brokentofu
Bought From: juichigatsu, Dangerkittie, coffeedragon, Ginasa, Ice Kitten, IntWiCe, wildwolf
Traded With: Corinth
ಥ_ಥ |||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||(っ◔◡◔)っ ♥
Feel free to PM questions about my buying and selling experiences!
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:42 pm

It's good for filling holes too, you just need to be careful with it.

As for pigment, just pick up an additive sort (which is to say don't get acrylic paint) of pigment and mix it in there before applying. It actually works pretty well. I've made some big frog thing and added a mustache to him with silpoxy, just mixed the pigment in and painted on.

Also as an update for that Husky, it seems I am having issues getting fresh silicone to actually cure with it, and adhere, and it's kind of terribly frustrating. Using silpoxy instead (once I can find a tube, I seem to have lost them amongst the mess that is my room).

Return to “Community Help and FAQs”