Artist/writer's advice thread

Want to share your work, be it drawing or writing? It all goes in here!
Curiosa

Re: Artist/writer's advice thread

Postby Curiosa » Wed May 16, 2018 2:31 am

Time to let my dork flag fly.

So if I recall, faceclaim is where you pick a picture of someone who exists IRL and declare "Yeah, this is what my character looks like". If that is the case, anyone ever voice claim? I dunno if its an official thing, i just know I'm more likely to pick what a character sounds like before I figure out what they look like. :mystery:

I blame my habit of imagining my characters doing musical numbers. I'm a big dork for musicals that I either end up planning a storyarc that's a musical or a musical version of the story. And I'm definitely one of those people that shouldn't write musicals (best I've got going for me is lyrics and I'm not even that good at it) but its something I like to indulge in. The lyrics I write will never see the light of day. :misc4: :blush:

Like I have a minor character that doesn't even show up in my planned musical storyarc but I still voice claim someone from a musical for his voice. Not a single song for him, I just like how this actor did this entitled obsession that might be the direction I'm going with this character I'm writing. I dunno who this actor is, sometimes my only exposures to different musicals is through YouTube and no one cradits the singer when posting the songs. :doh:

anyways, for that particular example its whoever plays JD from this recording of the Heathers musical:
► Show Spoiler

i dunno, I feel like a dork for doing this voice claim stuff but its something that gives the writing process an extra layer of fun for me.
You can't touch music- but music can touch you.

"Other than everything going completely wrong, it's all going according to plan!"

| 27 | Female | bisexual | In a relationship | crazy about rainbows and glitter | avid DIYer | loves knitting & cooking | fan of animation |
RainbowNanaki

Postby RainbowNanaki » Wed May 16, 2018 8:25 am

Curiosa wrote:Time to let my dork flag fly.

So if I recall, faceclaim is where you pick a picture of someone who exists IRL and declare "Yeah, this is what my character looks like". If that is the case, anyone ever voice claim? I dunno if its an official thing, i just know I'm more likely to pick what a character sounds like before I figure out what they look like. :mystery:

I blame my habit of imagining my characters doing musical numbers. I'm a big dork for musicals that I either end up planning a storyarc that's a musical or a musical version of the story. And I'm definitely one of those people that shouldn't write musicals (best I've got going for me is lyrics and I'm not even that good at it) but its something I like to indulge in. The lyrics I write will never see the light of day. :misc4: :blush:

Like I have a minor character that doesn't even show up in my planned musical storyarc but I still voice claim someone from a musical for his voice. Not a single song for him, I just like how this actor did this entitled obsession that might be the direction I'm going with this character I'm writing. I dunno who this actor is, sometimes my only exposures to different musicals is through YouTube and no one cradits the singer when posting the songs. :doh:

anyways, for that particular example its whoever plays JD from this recording of the Heathers musical:
► Show Spoiler

i dunno, I feel like a dork for doing this voice claim stuff but its something that gives the writing process an extra layer of fun for me.

Yeah, I try and do voice claims for my Ocs, since it helps add that extra bit of inspiration/understanding when I'm writing. Although it an be really hard when I have a very specific voice-type in mind and I just want to find a reference to confirm that sounds as good as I thought!
gay/22/transguy/extremely single
:misc6: :eyeroll:

Owned Toys: S/5 David in Rogue, Mi/5 Dexter in Rogue/3rd Kind, Lil' Squirt Seadragon in BD Silver, S/5/Sc Spritz in Rainbow Strawberry Yogurt Parfait, S/5/Sc Crash in Signature, Mi/8/Sc Austin in Garnet and Silver split, S/5/sc Nox in Signature, S/8 Echo in Aquamarine and Celestial Light split, S/8 Blaze in Rogue/3rd Kind
Waiting On: Nothing!
Wishlist: S/8 Tongue in Opal, S/8/Sc Crash in Full Spectrum
Curiosa

Postby Curiosa » Wed May 16, 2018 2:26 pm

RainbowNanaki wrote:
Yeah, I try and do voice claims for my Ocs, since it helps add that extra bit of inspiration/understanding when I'm writing. Although it an be really hard when I have a very specific voice-type in mind and I just want to find a reference to confirm that sounds as good as I thought!

Sometimes for me I'll have a voice I'd like to use but no character to match. Like I'd love to have a male siren character voiced by Peter Hollens
► Show Spoiler

On an unrelated note, I have a lot of fun writing dorky yet romantic/sexy banter despite it being out of my usual wheelhouse (I like writing horror, fantasy, and science fiction) that more or less become OTP prompts for me.

Character B: *tries and awkwardly fails to do something sexy*
Character A: (in a stern, unamused tone) "[Character B's full name] are you trying to seduce me?"
Character B: (stammering) "no- I mean yes- I mean, maybe- if you'd like- if not that's fine-"
Character A: (relaxed tone) "Well it's working, take the rest of your clothes off."

Smooth dialog is nice, but give me that awkward, funny shit any day of the week. I find the latter more relatable, and it reflects a lot in my work. For example, I have a supporting character that keeps acting flirty with my MC. Part of the former's act is that he builds himeself up as this suave guy, an ex con man who can seduce damn near anyone, but past that facade he's more of a dork than he wants most folk to know (he plays ukelele for crying out loud). Its really only when he lets his guard down around the MC that he's able to make any romantic progress with him, and his flirting gets a little more funny and nuanced.

I really like the idea behind the five love languages. Not entirely sure how legit it is IRL, but I find it a useful tool for fleshing out characters, especially the ones I plan to write romantic arcs for. I also like to apply it to platonic relationships as well. For example, I have a cop character that always has food and snacks on them and shows empathy via sharing, especially with their partner who tends to neglect their own health. Its fun for me to explore how these characters express affection for another, platonic or otherwise.
You can't touch music- but music can touch you.

"Other than everything going completely wrong, it's all going according to plan!"

| 27 | Female | bisexual | In a relationship | crazy about rainbows and glitter | avid DIYer | loves knitting & cooking | fan of animation |
DelilahdaDirtyDork
Gender: Maybe a male pretending to be a girl on the net cus ashamed of his pervy interests.

Postby DelilahdaDirtyDork » Mon May 21, 2018 10:33 pm

Curiosa wrote:
On an unrelated note, I have a lot of fun writing dorky yet romantic/sexy banter despite it being out of my usual wheelhouse (I like writing horror, fantasy, and science fiction) that more or less become OTP prompts for me.

Character B: *tries and awkwardly fails to do something sexy*
Character A: (in a stern, unamused tone) "[Character B's full name] are you trying to seduce me?"
Character B: (stammering) "no- I mean yes- I mean, maybe- if you'd like- if not that's fine-"
Character A: (relaxed tone) "Well it's working, take the rest of your clothes off."

Smooth dialog is nice, but give me that awkward, funny shit any day of the week. I find the latter more relatable, and it reflects a lot in my work. For example, I have a supporting character that keeps acting flirty with my MC. Part of the former's act is that he builds himeself up as this suave guy, an ex con man who can seduce damn near anyone, but past that facade he's more of a dork than he wants most folk to know (he plays ukelele for crying out loud). Its really only when he lets his guard down around the MC that he's able to make any romantic progress with him, and his flirting gets a little more funny and nuanced.

I really like the idea behind the five love languages. Not entirely sure how legit it is IRL, but I find it a useful tool for fleshing out characters, especially the ones I plan to write romantic arcs for. I also like to apply it to platonic relationships as well. For example, I have a cop character that always has food and snacks on them and shows empathy via sharing, especially with their partner who tends to neglect their own health. Its fun for me to explore how these characters express affection for another, platonic or otherwise.

I've heard of Love language but the not the idea of the 5 of them. I'm rather curious as to what they are. And I personally love Cheezey/Cornball dialog with stuff,what can I say, I'm help/hopeless romantic type of person.

For me, I found something I know sounds like a no duh & OCD but with at least one of my stories I've managed to compile most of my notes in a chronic logical order & I made a small list of the events in simple terms (like chapters but not always) that I want to happen and then rearranged them to When I want them to happen. Made things a lot easier. And helped me notice a few continuity errors I could fix.
^.^ v . v <.< >.> >.< <.> ^. v v .^ I'm a chameleon!
SabreMutt

Postby SabreMutt » Thu May 24, 2018 12:39 pm

I am familiar with the idea of various Love Languages, and how everyone basically has preferred ways to show love to others, as well as certain types of expressions of love will have more impact on them.

For example some people are very physical, and like to give or receive a lot of hugs, kisses, and other types of touching. Some people are very much into deep conversations, talking together, and feeling they are listened to or understood. Then there are other people who prefer some of the other things - it could be gifts, it could be favors, and I forget what that fifth one was.

Obviously most people are going to be a kind of mix, with one or two things predominant and they still may appreciate the other categories of showing affection, but not everything ranks equally in each person.

I hadn't heard before of anyone doing voice claims for a character, but it sounds like a cool idea and could provide a little more inspiration/help to add another layer to the planning process and eventual story.
:misc2: :liplick:

I'm friendly, talk to me here or on FA.

Avatar character is my fursona, Star SabreMutt.
Colored by me (SabreMutt).
Base by KuoWORD.
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Thu May 24, 2018 4:02 pm

^ Can't say I've heard of "voice claims" for an OC before, either. That said, when I face claim a character for something I'm working on, I tend to take the voice right along with it. But voice alone...I've never heard of anyone doing that. Learn something new every day.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.

Return to “Artwork Off Topic”