The 10 Shipping Commandments

General updates and news about Bad Dragon
tangerine_red

Re: The 10 Shipping Commandments

Postby tangerine_red » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Um... I guess I've never had a problem because I've always used Super Saver Shipping, but I have been requesting shipping to what is essentially a PO box in a UPS store (it has always worked). Have I done wrong, or are you only talking about PO boxes in USPS locations?
~*~

Waiting on:

Owned:
Werewolf, small, 5, Collector's Edition; ordered: 11/12, MQ: 12/28, received: 01/23
Cockatrice, small, 5, festive ; ordered: 12/30/2011, received: 2/27/2012
IsisKitsune

Postby IsisKitsune » Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:54 pm

tangerine_red wrote:Um... I guess I've never had a problem because I've always used Super Saver Shipping, but I have been requesting shipping to what is essentially a PO box in a UPS store (it has always worked). Have I done wrong, or are you only talking about PO boxes in USPS locations?

That I know of USPS (which ends up with the package within the us anyway) can't deliver to those and neither can FedEx. Only UPS can
Advertise here, only contact on Feb 30th of any year
Solid gold ThingAMaGig for sale $1,000,000
May the all powerful Flying Spaghetti Monster smile upon you
What's a sig for again?
Checklist
Buying, selling and trading toys
Waiting On:
Nothing
Zelnyair

Postby Zelnyair » Sun Jul 29, 2012 4:34 pm

drnick wrote:
Zelnyair wrote:I think I should take this space to apologise to every fur here. I thought I had genuine complaints, but perhaps I did not conduct myself appropriately?

[snip]

I can't imagine you offended anyone here. You were not vulgar and didn't sound angry, just frustrated. But if you did, don't worry about it -- they just have thin skin :)

I live in the US so I can't say that I really appreciate the expensive annoyance of VAT and customs charges, but I do know how much it sucks to feel like you're paying a bunch of extra money just to get the things you want. Taxes like sales tax make me angry because they are very regressive and feel like a punishment for putting your hard-earned money back into the economy. That's a big WTF in my book.

With regards to having BD mark packages sent internationally as gifts and fudgelie about the value of the package -- that is certainly something many less reputable companies do. However, both you and they have to be very careful, because if for whatever reason you're caught then both can be in trouble and get charged large fines.

So anyway, don't worry about it because venting about this kind of stuff is very understandable. Sadly your only real solution is to work with others in your country (you're far from the only person who thinks these things!) to petition your government to change things. Even more sadly, you're very unlikely to succeed as once the government gets a source of money, taking it away is nigh to impossible. :(

I'm sure someone will say pretty quickly now that "This isn't the place for this, go to OT blah blah", but I wanted to respond, for whatever it's worth :-)

That makes me feel so much better- thank you :)

You know, that's got me to thinking that if I'm complaining about prices, why I don't complain about the cost of Bad Dragon toys? For whatever reason, that never, ever got to me.

Sure, I can't get them everyday and I have to save up pound by pound a little at a time, and I really like the one toy I have (Chance), but do you think that it's strange that the toy prices never irritated me? They just don't cause me any grievances.

:mystery:
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:10 pm

Unfortunately, import duties being levied are a fact of life, and are an unfortunate concequence of international trade.

We've had significant problems just with Canada, because our goods are usually excempt from import duty (NAFTA trade agreement makes most of them excempt, I THINK), when customs bounced them back simply because they 'didn't like' them - so if customs decide they don't like you, there's some very real concequences to that.

We spent so much time and energy trying to resolve that problem that if we'd been saving us / our customers a full 20% on every order, then adding up the 20% that would've gone to tax, we would have still lost out if we'd lied about the value because of the time and energy we had to spend dealing with it.

So basically, even if we did lie about the package cost to save 20% to the UK AND pocketed the difference, we *still* would've lost out significantly if we'd done so!

Regarding sending stuff to UPS Stores, that's almost always fine no matter what shipping method you use. I had one when I lived in the UK - it was a lifesaver!
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
Tundara

Postby Tundara » Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:29 pm

골드 드래곤이 깨지는 = Gold Dragon corruption?

lolwut? Nemekh? xD
Ze Wishlist
Genderfluid and bisexual.
I'm a Quarian, bosh'tet.
.:Please vote YES! for Eramos the Feisty Wyvern over at BD Labs!:.
Help me get cocks? You'll get something in return :3 $20/$2045
Aero

Postby Aero » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:22 am

Varka wrote:We've had significant problems just with Canada, because our goods are usually excempt from import duty (NAFTA trade agreement makes most of them excempt, I THINK), when customs bounced them back simply because they 'didn't like' them - so if customs decide they don't like you, there's some very real concequences to that.

As a new customer who lives in Canada with my first order in the works, could you go into more detail about the consequences? I may be misunderstanding, but according to the website (I'm using Fedex International Priority) I'll just be possibly mailed a letter asking for me to pay a customs fee, which unless it's completely insane I don't mind paying. I'll still pay it regardless, but from the sounds of your post there might be additional consequences? My parade has been thoroughly drenched.
Fallacious Amorphophallus.
RevolverPuppy

Postby RevolverPuppy » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:02 am

I think he's talking pre-fedex, when it went through Canada's Customs Agents, and not FedEx's. That's what the exrta fee from them represents. They handle the customs and you don't have to deal with Canada's massively outdated "white card" law.

To Summerise, since I don't feel like digging up the document, Canadain Customs/Boarder Officals are allowed to turn away or deny entry to any item -they deem offensive-. There is no guideline for what is and is not offencive, each officer is up to making the call. For a long time this prevented things like Comic Books being unable to be shipped here as the gore/violence/dark themes were deemed 'offencive'.

HOWEVER, with FedEx Shipping THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. (Or at least shouldn't be, it certinly hasn't been voiced on the forums anyway.)

(Bolded so people don't go OMFG MAH CAWKS WAAAAAAAHT)
Aero

Postby Aero » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:21 am

RevolverPuppy wrote:I think he's talking pre-fedex, when it went through Canada's Customs Agents, and not FedEx's. That's what the exrta fee from them represents. They handle the customs and you don't have to deal with Canada's massively outdated "white card" law.

To Summerise, since I don't feel like digging up the document, Canadain Customs/Boarder Officals are allowed to turn away or deny entry to any item -they deem offensive-. There is no guideline for what is and is not offencive, each officer is up to making the call. For a long time this prevented things like Comic Books being unable to be shipped here as the gore/violence/dark themes were deemed 'offencive'.

HOWEVER, with FedEx Shipping THIS IS NOT AN ISSUE. (Or at least shouldn't be, it certinly hasn't been voiced on the forums anyway.)

(Bolded so people don't go OMFG MAH CAWKS WAAAAAAAHT)

Thanks for the clarification, I'll make sure to always use FedEx international priority then, (Especially since it was only $33 to ship all the way to ontario.) I really don't think customs officers should have that much power though, they should be the ones held accountable if they return an item that isn't technically illegal. Personal feelings shouldn't interfere with stuff like customs.
Fallacious Amorphophallus.
drnick

Postby drnick » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:07 pm

RevolverPuppy wrote:To Summerise, since I don't feel like digging up the document, Canadain Customs/Boarder Officals are allowed to turn away or deny entry to any item -they deem offensive-. There is no guideline for what is and is not offencive, each officer is up to making the call.

Customs officer opens box.
Sees candy-corn-rainbow colored silicone dragon cock.
*pause*
Writes note: "Offensive color. Return to sender."

:lol:
Kaiizruu

Postby Kaiizruu » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:05 pm

I've had all my toys so far delivered to military housing :psyduck:
Jacob

Postby Jacob » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:58 pm

Tundara wrote:골드 드래곤이 깨지는 = Gold Dragon corruption?

lolwut? Nemekh? xD

Glad I wasn't the only one to punch that into google translate :psyduck:
Nemekh

Postby Nemekh » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:18 pm

It's probably because I speak many languages, so non-english is nemekh corruption :psyduck:
Airless

Postby Airless » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:01 am

The only time I had to pay any extra fee for buying something from the States was from DHL.
Please don't ever switch to that company. I had to pay them back 50% of the value of my purchase in "duty fees", which almost ended up being double the value of the item I biught after the fee and shipping. TT_TT
DameKathryn

Postby DameKathryn » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:05 am

Airless wrote: The only time I had to pay any extra fee for buying something from the States was from DHL.
Please don't ever switch to that company. I had to pay them back 50% of the value of my purchase in "duty fees", which almost ended up being double the value of the item I biught after the fee and shipping. TT_TT

I forgot DHL existed :lol:
Kate
♥ Happily taken by the amazing Kranix ♥
You can find me at BDC
Ten

Postby Ten » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:37 pm

My OH works at DHL. :') Bit scared of the extra costs, but I've set my mind on getting a BD toy. :D Last time I ordered from the US I had to pay quite a bit extra as well, but it was worth it.
kinda-sorta female / 20 / pansexual, prefer guys / in a relationship / social phobic
CreativeNameHere

Postby CreativeNameHere » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:38 am

I ordered a med. anthro dragon from the inventory toys, so I guess this'll be a trial run to see how FedEx does with shipping my st00f.
This fox loves cocks. <3
RevolverPuppy

Postby RevolverPuppy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:07 am

drnick wrote:
RevolverPuppy wrote:To Summerise, since I don't feel like digging up the document, Canadain Customs/Boarder Officals are allowed to turn away or deny entry to any item -they deem offensive-. There is no guideline for what is and is not offencive, each officer is up to making the call.

Customs officer opens box.
Sees candy-corn-rainbow colored silicone dragon cock.
*pause*
Writes note: "Offensive color. Return to sender."

:lol:

Canadian Customs DID open my small werewolf.
They relabled the content from "Silicone Sculpture, Lubricant" to "Fantasies, Personal Lubricant."

I kept the waybill JUST because it litterly says "Fantasies". XD :canada:
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:14 pm

RevolverPuppy wrote:Canadian Customs DID open my small werewolf.
They relabled the content from "Silicone Sculpture, Lubricant" to "Fantasies, Personal Lubricant."

LOL WAT! This I have to see :D

I wonder what the HS code (the international 'category' of goods) for 'fantasies' is! What is a fantasy made of? I wonder if it's under the 'Magic & Rainbows' material code... :aaaaa:

Nemekh wrote:It's probably because I speak many languages, so non-english is nemekh corruption :psyduck:

I actually google translated 'Gold dragons are broken', but I probably should've translation-partied it, or asked a real Korean person to translate it for me. Gold dragon corruption works surprisingly well though! :D
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
RevolverPuppy

Postby RevolverPuppy » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:40 pm

Varka wrote:
RevolverPuppy wrote:Canadian Customs DID open my small werewolf.

LOL WAT! This I have to see :D

I wonder what the HS code (the international 'category' of goods) for 'fantasies' is! What is a fantasy made of? I wonder if it's under the 'Magic & Rainbows' material code... :aaaaa:

Proof in the puddin'.
Apprently its a "novelty item/fantasies". Blocked out any info I wasn't sure about being out there, but.. you can see it. XD
Attachments
lolfantasies.jpg
Teehee, Canada.
spark-d

Postby spark-d » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:43 am

95059000 - "Festival, carnival or other entertainment articles, incl. conjuring tricks and novelty jokes, n.e.s."

"Other entertainment articles" does fit quite well though. *lol*

Return to “News / Site Updates”