What's on your mind?

Discuss anything not related to Bad Dragon or the dedicated Forum Categories here! (Generally SFW. Please remember - No RP or Forum games!)
Shardik

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby Shardik » Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:25 am

Last week, I spent several days helping all three of my lovers move somewhere else. Each had been, in her own way, in a bit of bind in terms of her living situation, and each had finally found a new place to move to. The trouble is, all three have moved further away from where I live. Two moved much further north; one moved much further south. The one who was the furthest away is now the closest, adding only 20 minutes to the drive; the other two are now 30 to 40 minutes away. While they've all met and know of each other, none of them socialize together. They all came to me from different worlds: one knew me as a writer, another as old guard leather folk, the third through Dungeons & Dragons games. I've known all of them for a decade or longer.

It's not entirely sheer coincidence that they all moved in the same week, though. All three are responding to the same pressure: Amazon has made it prohibitively expensive to live in King County, or really anywhere along the Puget Sound Transit Authority corridor. You can't afford to live here unless you're in the tech industry (as I am), work for a company headquartered in San Francisco (as I do, which pays ridiculously high rates even for Seattle), and was lucky enough to nail down a crazy sub-5% mortgage rate (as I did in 2008, when mortgage companies were trying desperately to find safe borrowers) on a mortgage purchased before housing prices went utterly insane (as I did in 2000).

Sigh. I shouldn't complain, but right now, this sucks. I'm way more luckier than most. But having money is meaningless when finding companionship is damned hard, and getting harder.
Current Collection:
► Show Spoiler
wolfstardobe

Postby wolfstardobe » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:42 pm

Only two finals and one paper away from being done with my last semester of my undergraduate degree. :psyduck:
Female Single Heteroflexible Hobby Dog Trainer
Curiosa

Postby Curiosa » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:29 pm

I need some water and a nap- I've been cruising on caffeine and toast since this morning and yayyyyy it's crash time. Nap while my projects are curing, lunch, then demold time. Clean the mold, then repeat until time to sleep. I'm a busy little bee today. :widesmile:
You can't touch music- but music can touch you.

"Other than everything going completely wrong, it's all going according to plan!"

| 27 | Female | bisexual | In a relationship | crazy about rainbows and glitter | avid DIYer | loves knitting & cooking | fan of animation |
KnotyDes

Postby KnotyDes » Tue Dec 05, 2017 3:38 pm

Shardik wrote: :words:

I live south of SF the cost of living here is insane. As you said the tech industry is blowing the market way out of wack. I am a mechanic and current owner of my family's 50+ year old buisness. I have a very close knit family and both my parents and grandparents invested in a few properties long ago. We have a comfortable life and I am very fortunate. Now if we didn't own our land there is no way in hell that I would be able to work hard enough with my hands to live where I do. Well maybe if gave up sleeping and eating I could make a living. Times are crazy. At least you don't have horrible traffic where your at. Wait I'm wrong. I moved a buddy up to Bellevue a while back and god damn the 5, 405 interchange.
My collection
► Show Spoiler
Shardik

Postby Shardik » Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:53 pm

KnotyDes wrote:At least you don't have horrible traffic where your at. Wait I'm wrong. I moved a buddy up to Bellevue a while back and god damn the 5, 405 interchange.

This is why I'm really glad to live at the tail end of the Sound Transit Rail Corridor. It's a lovely 30-minute ride on a clean, well-lit, fairly stable train all the way into downtown, and in a year or two I'll be able to get to Bellevue or Northgate on the same route. Our transit system is quite good.
Current Collection:
► Show Spoiler
Niah

Postby Niah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:38 pm

That was fun...I had a call from my university about two of the courses I took in my previous undergrad adventure. She wanted to get the syllabi for two courses I took to see if I can get credit for them. Apparently, it's the policy of most universities to keep each syllabus for each course for each semester on file. Neither department had a problem locating the right syllabus and emailing it to me. Mighty kind of them. Maybe I'll get credit for them and that will be two fewer humanities courses I have to take. She mentioned something about some other course I'll need. I'm not too worried really. Considering my background, taking a humanities course will break up all the science and math nicely. Both she and my dad made mention of keeping up with the Japanese and she even said I could minor in it. I'm already planning a physics minor; doing a double-minor even with a language I find relatively easy might just kill me. I love Japanese and I love studying and being a student, but I also want time to eat, sleep, breathe, and be able to work part-time some.
29/Asexual/Genderfluid (biologically female).

See my profile for a list of the toys I own.
Hoofs_N_Horns

Postby Hoofs_N_Horns » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:37 pm

Niah wrote:That was fun...I had a call from my university about two of the courses I took in my previous undergrad adventure. She wanted to get the syllabi for two courses I took to see if I can get credit for them. Apparently, it's the policy of most universities to keep each syllabus for each course for each semester on file. Neither department had a problem locating the right syllabus and emailing it to me. Mighty kind of them. Maybe I'll get credit for them and that will be two fewer humanities courses I have to take. She mentioned something about some other course I'll need. I'm not too worried really. Considering my background, taking a humanities course will break up all the science and math nicely. Both she and my dad made mention of keeping up with the Japanese and she even said I could minor in it. I'm already planning a physics minor; doing a double-minor even with a language I find relatively easy might just kill me. I love Japanese and I love studying and being a student, but I also want time to eat, sleep, breathe, and be able to work part-time some.

Not sure if you've used it before, but DuoLingo has a free Japanese course in beta :smilenox: You might be advanced beyond what it offers -- not sure how much Japanese you've taken. I think it's awesome that they're adding Asian languages though. I might just have to add Japanese or Chinese to the list of what I'm learning. I've been using their app and website for about a year and a half to learn four languages and have made some excellent progress.

If nothing else it could be a free, low-stress way to maintain and expand what you know without having to take a full-blown college course.
Penetrables comparison: here
Niah

Postby Niah » Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:57 pm

Hoofs_N_Horns wrote:
Niah wrote:That was fun...I had a call from my university about two of the courses I took in my previous undergrad adventure. She wanted to get the syllabi for two courses I took to see if I can get credit for them. Apparently, it's the policy of most universities to keep each syllabus for each course for each semester on file. Neither department had a problem locating the right syllabus and emailing it to me. Mighty kind of them. Maybe I'll get credit for them and that will be two fewer humanities courses I have to take. She mentioned something about some other course I'll need. I'm not too worried really. Considering my background, taking a humanities course will break up all the science and math nicely. Both she and my dad made mention of keeping up with the Japanese and she even said I could minor in it. I'm already planning a physics minor; doing a double-minor even with a language I find relatively easy might just kill me. I love Japanese and I love studying and being a student, but I also want time to eat, sleep, breathe, and be able to work part-time some.

Not sure if you've used it before, but DuoLingo has a free Japanese course in beta :smilenox: You might be advanced beyond what it offers -- not sure how much Japanese you've taken. I think it's awesome that they're adding Asian languages though. I might just have to add Japanese or Chinese to the list of what I'm learning. I've been using their app and website for about a year and a half to learn four languages and have made some excellent progress.

If nothing else it could be a free, low-stress way to maintain and expand what you know without having to take a full-blown college course.

I've had through 202, which means I've learned all the grammar. I'm just rusty on it now and my vocab is really rusty too. The less said about my kanji the better. With proper motivation it wouldn't take me too long to relearn everything. I've done DuoLingo for German before, and it's okay. It's not entirely suited to how I prefer to learn a language though. Honestly, if I just study on my own and take the official Japanese language exam that's done in DC. Well, pick the level I want to be tested for as it's different for each level. I might fool around with DuoLingo with another language. The trouble I have is that I go all in and I'm a perfectionist, so if I start missing days it'll bug me to no end.

Curiosa

Postby Curiosa » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 pm

I was so excited that I got a good cast on the insect in Amber resin project that I ran around the house humming the jurassic park theme while parading my work around. It's got some bubbles but I don't really mind. Plus the way the bubbles settled looks kinds cool. Just gotta polish it and it'll be ready to mount on the cane.

"Other than everything going completely wrong, it's all going according to plan!"

| 27 | Female | bisexual | In a relationship | crazy about rainbows and glitter | avid DIYer | loves knitting & cooking | fan of animation |
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:41 am

So damn happy; marriage equality *finally* passed in Australia!
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Ghost_the_Crow

Postby Ghost_the_Crow » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:19 am

Sotting at the doctor and there is a child screaming the whole time, like you could put black metal music under that...
Almost gave me headaches -.-

(Reasons why I don’t want children...)
Asexual / Gyneromantic / Probably Trans or Genderfluid(?) / Loves Cuddling

"Of course I know what I'm doing." I said, knowing that I didn't.
Curiosa

Postby Curiosa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:18 am

Can't remember the last time I went on an archive dive through fan fiction. But I was in the mood for smut, so that happened, and now I'm trying to remember if fan fiction has always been this dirty and all these years I was just cruising through my favorite sites with the filters on.

little-mythgital

Postby little-mythgital » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:44 am

Nearly came home with a pair of lovebirds, if I recall both peach faced ones. The pet store where I got my budgie from is closing down and that's what's left of the animals. I was planning on getting some finches at one point but apparently not... No rehoming centres or places that sell birds nearby at all and I don't like travelling far to get a bird and having it stress out for long journeys.
Those two lovebirds were tempting, very tempting, even a discounted cage for a £10. One was very willing to interact, coming up and everything, even started screaming when we went out the door. I think what makes my family lean away from lovebirds is their temper, my granddad used to breed them and they kept being a pain, even to the point one heavily injured one of his prized show canaries.
But the ones in the shop were precious little fruit puffs, it was tempting
Niah

Postby Niah » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am

That was fun. Steam wouldn't load and neither would Razer Synapse. The Steam Client Bootstrapper stopped working, so I Googled it and opted to try netsh winsock reset in the command prompt. I don't know if that or simply restarting because of a Windows update that had finished at the same time fixed it, but both are now working. I also went into Steam and disabled broadcasting since I don't use it and that was causing an issue with shutting down. And after months of it not being there, the Nvidia settings icon is back down on the task bar with my other hidden icons (Steam, Razer, etc). I'll see if the issue returns, but I think resetting the network adapter (which is basically what that command does) might have fixed things.

Jayne is on my last nerve. She won't stay the fuck off my desk no matter what I do. It wouldn't be an issue if my tower weren't also on my desk and she weren't jumping up behind it to get on the desk. I'm worried she'll get tangled in the cables and very worried that she'll yank something out or topple the tower. I'm fully cognizant of the fact that she's doing it on purpose because it gets her attention from me. It's just very fucking aggravating.

I finally just shut her in their room (with food, water, litter box, and toys) for a little timeout. I get that kittens are pretty much psychotic, but this is ridiculous. She's back out of it now and is only a bit calmer. She slept on me a while, but she still keeps getting on the desk. I've been trying to keep her on my lap to get her to settle down; it works only a little while. I've given her a catnip mouse in another effort to distract her; it appears to be working for now.

Tempest

Postby Tempest » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:35 am

Rainbow Dasher wrote:So damn happy; marriage equality *finally* passed in Australia!

Yay! About time, eh?
Full collection and wish list in profile!
Current faves: L/5 Flint, Boss Hogg XXL
Dick fund status: depleted
eloeelwe

Postby eloeelwe » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:30 pm

Rainbow Dasher wrote:So damn happy; marriage equality *finally* passed in Australia!

So am I, especially for a couple dear friends near Perth.
There is still a ways to go, but this is a great first step and victory. Hugs all around for you Aussies, I'm so happy for you!

See the dragon's share of my artwork, here: http://www.furaffinity.net/user/eloeelwe/
Or here: http://eloeelwe.deviantart.com/
Hoofs_N_Horns

Postby Hoofs_N_Horns » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Yeeeah one of the best days of my life, and I'm not even exaggerating, was when the US Supreme Court decided gay marriage is legal here. I cried for real and I'm not even close to marrying someone lol. But just knowing I had the possibility to marry who I wanted and knowing all the people who were ready to marry finally had their chance, was an amazing feeling :3
Penetrables comparison: here
Harbenz

Postby Harbenz » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:12 pm

If I think, I was too young when the marriage equality was legalized in my country to know what that meant, but it was almost at the same time that I was aware of my sexuality and it made the TVs talk about homosexuality and everyone was more open and that helped me a lot. If that happened today, I would cry for sure, and my past would be different.
Congratulations, Australia!
Resistance is futile.
► Show Spoiler
Curiosa

Postby Curiosa » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:58 pm

Hoofs_N_Horns wrote:

Yeeeah one of the best days of my life, and I'm not even exaggerating, was when the US Supreme Court decided gay marriage is legal here. I cried for real and I'm not even close to marrying someone lol. But just knowing I had the possibility to marry who I wanted and knowing all the people who were ready to marry finally had their chance, was an amazing feeling :3

Sophomore year me from high school would be so happy about this. That's the year I did a speech and debate essay on marriage equality... in a staunchly conservative school environment. That we had to orate to the class. :bugeyed: I legit thought I was gonna get murdered by my classmates that day, but honestly I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I didn't say my opinions on the matter. Also, this was the year I found out I was bi so I was partially using this as an excuse to research LGBT+ issues without raising any suspicions. The more I read up on the issues the more I thought "dude- this is bullshit. Just make it legal already." But yeah every time I get news like this I feel ecstatic.

thesharkwhisperer

Postby thesharkwhisperer » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:40 pm

Damnit ! Bought 10 packs of Pokémon cards in a hope I would get that incredibly good looking Guzma card but no. I know I could just buy it on Ebay, even tho it’s around $50 for a single card ( tbh I would probably spare more money by doing that lol ) but I want to get it legit, damnit :widesmile:
Female - 25 - Single - History nerd - Dino lover - Pokémon - HUBBADUH

Return to “General Off Topic”