Tulpaforcing

Where the old and dusty threads lie. Harken back to the days of yore and reminisce on posts from another era! (Old OT threads go here.)

Re: Tulpaforcing

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:21 am

Airless wrote: So, they're kind of like daemons from The Golden Compass? :?:
Or more like tulpas are more like daemons. ;)

I haven't seen the Golden compass yet, when it came out in theaters my parents wouldn't let me go. (freaking overly christian household, I couldn't even play magic the gathering as a kid)
Ashkore_the_angel

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:02 pm

I found an easier way to focus on each personality trait (easier than mumbling to myself over and over again). If you have a computer and a list of all the traits you're giving your Tulpa you can type a sentence containing traits over and over again in wordpad. Example might be: "You easily conform to any situation and are not afraid to speak your mind.
this is also a good way to check for how well you are concentrating on each trait. If you make spelling errors or miss hitting enter or space that shows you something you need to work on.(the punctuation and capitalization is not important)

Good:
You easily conform to any situation and are not afraid to speak your mind
You easily conform to any situation and are not afraid to speak your mind...

Bad:
You easily conform to any stuation and are not afraid to speek your mindyou easily conform to any situation and are not afraid to speak your mind
Ashkore_the_angel

Postby kuroyami » Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:34 am

is it easier to do, if one is alredy in a multiple system?
kuroyami

Postby Goronian » Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:46 am

One of my friends has something like this as a result of... Many things. It almost ruined the best relationship he ever had and made his life a completely miserable wreck. He is very-very slowly recovering, even this relationship seems to be getting back on track (thank, in no small amount, to us), but I would still advise against this. At the very least, you should be extremely cautious.
Goronian

Postby DokterDude » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:06 am

I didn't read this thread before but it really sounds like a split personality, i'm no scientist but it sounds unhealthy. :s
DokterDude

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:33 am

kuroyami wrote:is it easier to do, if one is alredy in a multiple system?

by "already in a multiple system" did you mean multiple personality disorder? if so quite possibly.
Goronian wrote:One of my friends has something like this as a result of... Many things. It almost ruined the best relationship he ever had and made his life a completely miserable wreck. He is very-very slowly recovering, even this relationship seems to be getting back on track (thank, in no small amount, to us), but I would still advise against this. At the very least, you should be extremely cautious.

Being extremely cautious is always a good idea, and it sounds like your friend was unfortunate. I have heard of people going crazy due to this, but the people who do succeed in making a Tulpa have two things in common: Lots of time/concentration and withdrawn from the world. I also have both so I have no reason to doubt that I'll succeed.
DokterDude wrote:I didn't read this thread before but it really sounds like a split personality, i'm no scientist but it sounds unhealthy. :s

I know it sounds unhealthy and in some cases it is unhealthy. but for someone who could benefit from the Tulpa it would be a blessing(plus I'm already unhealthy >w<)
Ashkore_the_angel

Postby Momotaro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:01 pm

I've had a tulpa for...hm. 3 months now.

There are things I've learned in the whole process. One, if you're thinking of making a tulpa to humor the idea of them being a thing at all, don't. I did. And it's not bad, really, just that my tulpa is a little disappointed in me that she was originally treated that way, which lead to her being incredibly snippy and smarmy as soon as she got the ability to communicate (not via voices or anything, it's like thoughts that aren't mine popping up randomly). So if I went to do anything she'd be nagging me constantly. Like I go to get ice cream and she critiques the flavor, shit like that.

ANYWAYS more informative wise, I thought it was probably unhealthy but lol i did it anyway. And I can say with some certainty that no, it's not unhealthy, unless you make it unhealthy. Do you want to only ever speak to an imaginary friend, saying "fuck the rest of the world" and become an isolated hermit babbling to yourself? Yeah, that's no good. Creating tulpas isn't "serious business" to the extreme, but you've got to put thought and effort and realization into it. It's not something you should want to do over a weekend and then drop, basically.
Logically, tulpas don't exist in the real world. I'll be frank, they're most likely whatever your brain assumes to be going off of the personality that you give them. They're not real people, but... the trick to tulpaforcing is assuming from the very start that you're talking to another person. And you'll feel like an idiot. I did! But it's really rewarding to eventually sense some sort of response. You can't see it or hear it (usually) but it's a nice feeling to finally get feedback. Tulpas are almost never violent, but mine has encouraged me to smoke because she likes the taste of hand rolled cigarettes (and I don't blame her, they're amazing). For the most part they offer "advice" (which may or may not be helpful), critiques, and suggestions. It's like racking your mind for an idea but instead it's like a brain secretary giving them to you.

My very very important note for tulpas is that you can stop any time. You can just not talk to them and put them on mute. Sometimes I do it on accident because I'm not thinking about mine at all (especially times like focusing really hard on a task). They should never be violent or force you to do something like creepypastas claim or whatever because every single tulpa made will like whoever made it, that's just how your brain makes it work. There's some more advanced stuff like having limbs possessed by them or having them take over entirely, but they are unable to do so without your consent because they are figments of your imagination. If it gets to that sort of point, you need help. Like psychological. As is, they're bog standard imaginary friends that you can kind of communicate with in different ways that might be able to help you remember where you put your keys. Since you're assuming sentience from the beginning some responses might surprise you (like mine changed her name and appearance after only a few weeks) but that's due to the assumption they're doing all that on their own.

Tl;dr: if you're interested it's worth a try, just don't do it because you want to humor the idea or have an imaginary sex toy. -gags- it is all in your head and you will feel like an idiot. Don't go too far and don't neglect the real world. Everyone should have an individual level of when it's getting to weird. That's where you stop. The idea itself is weird as is.

P.S. I know people get upset over tulpa being taken from Tibetan Buddhism, but truth is even there it was still just a thought and meditation exercise to do so. It's not like monks in Tibet are summoning mind demons. They're making a person to remind themselves of things lost in their brains. You'd be amazed how much having a tulpa helps with memory retention and brainstorming and being all philosophical blah blah blah.

P.S.S. my tulpa is named Claudia and she's kind of just a boring human so SHRUG
Momotaro

Postby kuroyami » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:29 pm

ANYWAYS more informative wise, I thought it was probably unhealthy but lol i did it anyway. And I can say with some certainty that no, it's not unhealthy, unless you make it unhealthy. Do you want to only ever speak to an imaginary friend, saying "fuck the rest of the world" and become an isolated hermit babbling to yourself? Yeah, that's no good. Creating tulpas isn't "serious business" to the extreme, but you've got to put thought and effort and realization into it. It's not something you should want to do over a weekend and then drop, basically.
Logically, tulpas don't exist in the real world. I'll be frank, they're most likely whatever your brain assumes to be going off of the personality that you give them. They're not real people, but... the trick to tulpaforcing is assuming from the very start that you're talking to another person. And you'll feel like an idiot. I did! But it's really rewarding to eventually sense some sort of response. You can't see it or hear it (usually) but it's a nice feeling to finally get feedback. Tulpas are almost never violent, but mine has encouraged me to smoke because she likes the taste of hand rolled cigarettes (and I don't blame her, they're amazing). For the most part they offer "advice" (which may or may not be helpful), critiques, and suggestions. It's like racking your mind for an idea but instead it's like a brain secretary giving them to you.

how many writes have done this? and it is sad how reality works. maybe it is good. the idea of power, to make something from nothing, to viably exist for you and others (I read some story about a roleplayer and their "character" that wound up popping up in the mind spaces of the friends their creator had made, after the creator/owner's death. not sure if that was a soulbond, tulpa or something else)
but then I could see someone be upset of the idea of you "playing god", and not so much "mommy/daddy" I guess it's how you treat them.

I have a personal character that could be "good idea" to tulpaize. but then maybe not. plus then I'd assume writing about him as a fantasy character would be easier. "hey this is you, write you." or assume i should consult him about it. "ah hey, I want your character version of you to like coffee, do you like coffee? how about a wife? is it ok if you are a manwhore? what is with that look you are giving me!!!! ok, so you don't want to be a womanizer and you think it is deplorable."

fun. but i think it would make my head burn. there is alredy enough back seat chattering that is not easy to connect with as it is.
and it's going to not make me able to be ok with being alone. even if they are fragments of me. I'd want constant companionship even more.

and then more 'real'. without then going in an existential frenzy over the notion of real and existing. quantum philosophy or something.
Tl;dr: if you're interested it's worth a try, just don't do it because you want to humor the idea or have an imaginary sex toy. -gags- it is all in your head and you will feel like an idiot. Don't go too far and don't neglect the real world. Everyone should have an individual level of when it's getting to weird. That's where you stop. The idea itself is weird as is.

personal character Donovan would really flip a shit over someone wanting him to be an imaginary sex toy.

and some back seat chattering of mine gets sad if i call them imaginary. "that hurts you know".
kuroyami

Postby Momotaro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:21 pm

Oh yeah, Claudia was a story character before she became a tulpa, but she changed her personality and looks and name enough that she's completely different. It gives a great base to work with though if you've already got that in mind!
Momotaro

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:20 pm

Momotaro wrote:Oh yeah, Claudia was a story character before she became a tulpa, but she changed her personality and looks and name enough that she's completely different. It gives a great base to work with though if you've already got that in mind!

I was told not to base my tulpa on an existing character or person because it can lead to a Tulpa having personality issues (the whole trying to live up to something they can't become 100%)
Ashkore_the_angel

Postby Momotaro » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:31 pm

Thing with that is, like with Claudia, once they gain a decent amount of conversational skills they'll tell you right away if it's not correct. Tulpas almost always deviate from what you originally plan afaik, so it's not a big deal so long as you don't expect them to stay "in character" so to speak.
Momotaro

Postby kuroyami » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Ashkore_the_angel wrote:
Momotaro wrote:Oh yeah, Claudia was a story character before she became a tulpa, but she changed her personality and looks and name enough that she's completely different. It gives a great base to work with though if you've already got that in mind!

I was told not to base my tulpa on an existing character or person because it can lead to a Tulpa having personality issues (the whole trying to live up to something they can't become 100%)

I thought they ment, like "I like Riku from Kingdom Hearts, I want my Tulpa to be like him, minus story elements and what happend to him", like when soulbonders have "outsourced" bonds.
and not
"this person feels really, I'd like to feel and think of them as a character to write about and consult them on how to write about them, like basing characters off of your friend"
You are creating them from ingrediance.

it just how it's mixed together.
kuroyami

Postby eloeelwe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 3:50 pm

The more I read here, the more I realize that my dragon is not a Tulpa.
eloeelwe

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:44 pm

kuroyami wrote:I thought they meant, like "I like Riku from Kingdom Hearts, I want my Tulpa to be like him, minus story elements and what happened to him", like when soulbonders have "outsourced" bonds.
and not
"this person feels really, I'd like to feel and think of them as a character to write about and consult them on how to write about them, like basing characters off of your friend"
You are creating them from ingredients.

it just how it's mixed together.

your post is a little scattered. From what I understood about that, it doesn't matter if you make it like someone you know(knew) or a fictional character if you can mix it right? to be on the safe side, I'll stick to making a new entity and let it decide how it should look/act because it seems like that would be a whole lot more stable.
eloeelwe wrote:The more I read here, the more I realize that my dragon is not a Tulpa.

How so?
Ashkore_the_angel

Postby eloeelwe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:58 pm

In some ways my dragon is much like you describe, he is a constant companion in my minds eye. However, to my knowledge, I had no part in his creation. Through the help of someone close, he was reveled to me with meditation. Kind of like a fog lifted from my mind. You may have read that description I gave of the event, in the debate forum.
eloeelwe

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:11 am

eloeelwe wrote:In some ways my dragon is much like you describe, he is a constant companion in my minds eye. However, to my knowledge, I had no part in his creation. Through the help of someone close, he was reveled to me with meditation. Kind of like a fog lifted from my mind. You may have read that description I gave of the event, in the debate forum.

XD I rarely visit the debate subforum
Ashkore_the_angel

Postby Momotaro » Sun Jun 30, 2013 9:03 am

Does anyone here have multiple tulpa? I keep thinking of making a second one eventually because Claudia wants one and I'm okay with it I guess but is there anything I should keep in mind? I'm just really hoping two imaginary friends constantly arguing isn't a thing that happens. Ugghhh.
Momotaro

Postby Ashkore_the_angel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:21 pm

Momotaro wrote:Does anyone here have multiple tulpa? I keep thinking of making a second one eventually because Claudia wants one and I'm okay with it I guess but is there anything I should keep in mind? I'm just really hoping two imaginary friends constantly arguing isn't a thing that happens. Ugghhh.

Never heard of anyone holding more than one Tulpa, though I guess you could try if you have a lot of experience with one.
Ashkore_the_angel

Previous

Return to General Off Topic Archive