What's on your mind?

Discuss anything not related to Bad Dragon or the dedicated Forum Categories here! (Generally SFW. Please remember - No RP or Forum games!)
wolfstardobe

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby wolfstardobe » Sun May 15, 2016 2:18 pm

Cut my finger washing the dishes... :tinfoil: I need to just stay out of the kitchen.
Female Taken Heteroflexible Hobby Dog Trainer
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun May 15, 2016 2:44 pm

Deored wrote:
Niah wrote: :words:

One of the perks of living in an apartment, string the cables out where I need. I guess the downside is living in an apartment.

Yeah. I'd have loved to been able to install and update 7 to SP1 and get everything on there and working. I probably could have made something work to get me online and then get the updates, but I wasn't too sure the wireless card would be recognized after I removed the ethernet cable. I'd have had to move the router anyway since I have a full tower and it's ridiculously heavy. 10 and Ubuntu didn't need any drivers or anything special to see the card and connect to our wireless. I know the card works with 7 with SP1, but apparently it has to have SP1. Ridiculous. So far everything is pretty great with Ubuntu; my CPU temps are a couple of degrees C cooler as well. Had some issues with Rhythmbox (it gave me double (or more) copies of some music files, so I had to go through my whole list and delete the extras); I'm trying to get Banshee to import the files from Rhythmbox, but it doesn't seem to want to do it. The main reason for Banshee is to get it to play some TV episodes and a few movies from off iTunes, but Banshee freezes up and won't import them as it's supposed to. Then again, Banshee hasn't really seen an update in roughly 2 years now.
31/Asexual/Genderfluid (biologically female).

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Sun May 15, 2016 3:43 pm

Samson wrote:
Hoofs_N_Horns wrote:
Samson wrote:I need to start remembering to keep antacid tablets of some sort with me. I have some at home and in my locker at work. I was even carrying them in my backpack at school. I have really bad nausea at times and I stay at my friend's house most weekends. They don't keep any sort of antacids in their house and half the time I'm here I get sick. I should just stash some in the guest room closet.
I've had issues with nausea for a while and the doctor suspects gallstones. We have to look into it more, but I may have to get it removed. :psyduck:

You have my sympathy... so many experiences have been ruined for me by digestive issues. Dinners with friends, dinners with work, parties, weddings, traveling overseas. Luckily it's not as bad now as when I was younger. But it's starting to act up again. I'm also considering taking medications along with me but I'm not sure what I need.

For me Tums type tablets are the most convient because you can just pop them in your mouth and eat them. I personally find the strong mint flavor to be relaxing too. But I find alka seltzer tablets to be the most effective. I seriously feel relief before I finish the cup most of the time. The problem is you need to have water + a cup to take them.

How often do you need them? You may want to consider something like Prilosec, or Nexium. I take Nexium every day.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Deored

Postby Deored » Sun May 15, 2016 4:50 pm

Always helps to keep the hardware install disks. I'm a bit of a pack rat, I've still got disks for hardware I don't have anymore.
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Sun May 15, 2016 4:58 pm

My mother will (likely) try and call me soon...within the next 2 hours. I'd rather be run over by a truck. I may just ignore my phone. She's 17,000 miles away from me; it isn't like she can pop 'round for a visit.
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun May 15, 2016 5:36 pm

Deored wrote:

Always helps to keep the hardware install disks. I'm a bit of a pack rat, I've still got disks for hardware I don't have anymore.

My hardware didn't come with install discs for the drivers. Windows 10 came on a USB drive, which I have, of course, so I can always install it again later if I want to switch back. The wireless network card also didn't come with a driver disc. It was meant to be just plug-and-play, but obviously not with Windows 7 without SP1. I didn't need drivers at all for it with 10 or with Ubuntu now. Both just picked up the wi-fi in the house immediately with no trouble. I'm not too fussed about it really.

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
Vulpine Aurora

Postby Vulpine Aurora » Sun May 15, 2016 5:41 pm

Sitting on the porch as the last flickers of sunlight fade from the east coast is a great way of relaxing after some good cardio. OMFG SO CALM MUCH TRANQUILITY VERY MOIST QUITE COOL
I mean yeah it's real beautiful at this time of the early night. Real nice. Yup.
The name's Quinn. I'm an extremely friendly, open-minded fellow if you ask to get to know me. Please feel free to shoot me a PM and chat if you'd like! I always welcome a good conversation, pretty much regardless of the topic.

Bad Dragon goals: Knot an XL Rex, hilt an XL Chance Unflared, and get past my legacy Large Chance Flared's medial ring.
Fire_Wolf

Postby Fire_Wolf » Sun May 15, 2016 5:49 pm

Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
Name: Fenrisulfr, 26/M/PM's welcome.
► Show Spoiler
Amaranthe

Postby Amaranthe » Sun May 15, 2016 6:02 pm

Thought I would try out wearing a little bit of makeup again. Went to the store to select my foundation and....realized that I have no idea what color I am. :psyduck: My skin makes zero sense.
Deored

Postby Deored » Sun May 15, 2016 6:10 pm

No hardware install disks with an internal card? My mind can't wrap itself around the concept. I don't have any windows install disks, everything I had was OEM stuff so I keep having to find downloads that I can use my licenses with.
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun May 15, 2016 6:53 pm

Deored wrote:

No hardware install disks with an internal card? My mind can't wrap itself around the concept. I don't have any windows install disks, everything I had was OEM stuff so I keep having to find downloads that I can use my licenses with.

Actually, I'm going to eat crow and admit being mistaken. I found the install disc just now... :unamused: Whoops, lol. I never used it with 10, because others had reported major issues by using the card and that it was better to get it in the slot and let it go from there on its own, and having found it now, I know that I couldn't have used it with Ubuntu. I also didn't have to use any of the discs that came with my mobo and GPU. Those are regular discs; the disc for the network card is one of the very small ones (I know the optical drive could have read it though). Oh well. I'm not too fussed right now. With the issues I've had with 10 over the past few months, I'm perfectly content to be completely away from Microsoft for a good while. I've got 17 games in Steam that don't need to be run through PlayOnLinux, so that's plenty to keep me occupied as far as gaming is concerned; at least until I get in the mood to play one of the others that is Windows only. Not that I've been in a gaming mood for a while (too preoccupied with studying for these A+ exams, my dying cat, and some other stresses). If I end up getting fed up with Ubuntu for some reason or really want to go to 7, then I can try again at a later date. So yeah, my bad.

Deored

Postby Deored » Sun May 15, 2016 7:05 pm

On a few occasions having the disks is helpful, but with windows update finding the software for you can make them not so useful. If you didn't need them then its understandable you wouldn't remember them. I like Ubuntu fairly well, used it on a laptop I managed to temporarily resurrect from mechanical death, I'd already used the license for 7 on another tower. It died again a few months later so I went back to being a windows user. I tend to agree with your opinion of 10, though. Had a catastrophe involving both my towers and I didn't want to go through two OS installs to get back where I had been.
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun May 15, 2016 7:22 pm

Deored wrote:

On a few occasions having the disks is helpful, but with windows update finding the software for you can make them not so useful. If you didn't need them then its understandable you wouldn't remember them. I like Ubuntu fairly well, used it on a laptop I managed to temporarily resurrect from mechanical death, I'd already used the license for 7 on another tower. It died again a few months later so I went back to being a windows user. I tend to agree with your opinion of 10, though. Had a catastrophe involving both my towers and I didn't want to go through two OS installs to get back where I had been.

Yeah, in my studies for the A+ certification exams, the book I'm using specifically states to always use the driver discs that come with the hardware. So I screwed up there a bit, lol. Windows update is handy, but considering I couldn't even connect, it rather wasn't so handy. Hell, I'd probably still be working through updates and restarts considering my copy is a 2009 disc without SP1 on it. I then would have had to make it so the updates wouldn't try to download and install 10 without my permission (it's done that for a lot of people).

My issues with 10 started back in December with the occasional BSoD brought on by my Ethernet driver, which I didn't even need considering the card. The BSoD error message changed every time, but I managed to track it back to that driver and just ended up disabling it. Then in March, I'm not sure if I hit the wrong combo of keys on my keyboard by accident or if it was something with the OS, but I got stuck in a repair loop until I was able to get the recovery environment and finally just reset the whole system back a factory state. Then not even a week later I got the message that my Windows wasn't activated, but then it wouldn't let me activate it, and I spent nearly 2 hours with a Microsoft tech, who finally basically reinstalled 10 on the system (I did have to replace all my programs/apps and files), because the DLL files basically got corrupt. Then back at the end of April, I got stuck in another repair loop (I didn't touch the keyboard then, it just locked up on me), but only briefly before I managed to execute a start up repair. I got into the desktop and backed everything up then (and initiated Firefox's handy sync feature finally), but it made my Start button unresponsive, login times were several times what they should have been, and it took so long for everything else to open most of the time. HDD is fine (did chkdsk with the /f and /r switches/parameters enabled), so I know it's not that. CPU usage was normal, not what I'd expect with a slow system, and I'm pretty sure there wasn't a virus/malware causing the issue. Either way, I finally got sick of twitching every time I did something I was afraid my annoy the OS.

So yeah, tl;dr, I'm kind of relieved I ditched the attempt to use 7 again. I feel like I would have been flirting with danger after a while. As it is, any documents I'm working on I've uploaded to Google Docs, and I really greatly on doing regular backups of anything I change/add with my external or with a USB thumb drive at minimum.

Deored

Postby Deored » Sun May 15, 2016 7:48 pm

Wow, My problems were simple compared to yours. Tower one, my "Tower of Power" (relatively speaking) randomly shut off and when I tried to turn it back one would just crank the fans to full and sit there. Tower two, "Slow and Stable" decided to kill the C drive a couple hours later. Anything of importance is saved to a network drive so I didn't really lose anything. Still, I figured I'd stick with what works till I'm forced to change.
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun May 15, 2016 8:02 pm

Deored wrote:

Wow, My problems were simple compared to yours. Tower one, my "Tower of Power" (relatively speaking) randomly shut off and when I tried to turn it back one would just crank the fans to full and sit there. Tower two, "Slow and Stable" decided to kill the C drive a couple hours later. Anything of importance is saved to a network drive so I didn't really lose anything. Still, I figured I'd stick with what works till I'm forced to change.

Damn. That sucks. At least you didn't lose anything vitally important. I thought my issues were simple compared to what I read other people having. I finally determined that my issues were likely unrelated to the issues people have had with the April 12 update/patch. I just think things got so screwed with the OS that not even and sfc scan could detect any issues (gave me the "no integrity violations" result). I'm glad my HDD hasn't gone bad yet (it's only about 8 months old, which isn't that old for a HDD considering how long I've had them last) and that my RAM appears to be fine. I should probably run memtest86+ on them again, but I'm being a little hesitant since I really don't want to have to replace the RAM; and I'd be having other errors if my RAM were going anyway. I think with 10 they were so excited and they knew how many people didn't care for 8/8.1 that they sent it out early. I also think they're not too keen on testing patches before they release them. At least my Ubuntu is 16.04 LTS, so I know it's stable. That being said, I'd have gone with Debian if I wanted something truly stable, but that one isn't as good for gaming and such. I'm staying with Ubuntu until I absolutely need a Windows machine for something. This is my personal gaming build, so nothing work related will touch it unless necessary. If I need a Windows machine, I'll get a laptop or a cheaper desktop or something. That or if I need to switch back to Windows on this build, I'll wait until 10 (or whatever they call the next one, if they make another OS instead of building on 10) is more stable. As for stable Windows, XP and 7 were, in my opinion, the last seemingly really stable Windows OSs. I'm not a Mac fan, but at this stage I'd take an overpriced Apple machine over 10 right now (well, after Linux).

Deored

Postby Deored » Sun May 15, 2016 8:37 pm

Yes, all my furry pictures, music, and videos were fine. :stick: I'm not really a PC gamer, its kinda hard for someone lazy like me to overcome the convenience of a console.
Samson

Postby Samson » Mon May 16, 2016 3:57 am

Rainbow Dasher wrote:How often do you need them? You may want to consider something like Prilosec, or Nexium. I take Nexium every day.

When I went to the doctor the other week he put me on daily Prilosec, but said it might take a little bit for it to start working?
I don't need them every day, but I would say lately it's been worse so I am taking antacids every two or three days.
Image Tentacle Monster. Flower prince. Image
Twitter @pinkqueerdeer
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Mon May 16, 2016 5:06 am

Samson wrote:
Rainbow Dasher wrote:How often do you need them? You may want to consider something like Prilosec, or Nexium. I take Nexium every day.

When I went to the doctor the other week he put me on daily Prilosec, but said it might take a little bit for it to start working?
I don't need them every day, but I would say lately it's been worse so I am taking antacids every two or three days.

You're supposed to take them every day is the thing. They won't build up and work as they should, or allow for continual relief, if you only pop them as you think you need them. They have to be taken daily to work at full capacity. If you were given a script (or are just taking the OTC) you still need to take them daily especially if you're currently needing to take a lot of other antacids.
Niah

Postby Niah » Mon May 16, 2016 7:23 am

Deored wrote:

Yes, all my furry pictures, music, and videos were fine. :stick: I'm not really a PC gamer, its kinda hard for someone lazy like me to overcome the convenience of a console.

That's still great you didn't lose anything. I haven't done any gaming in over a month and I don't consider myself to be a really hardcore gamer or anything (no crazy multi-display arrangements for me). I have the games I like, but I'm not gaming in every spare moment. Being in the mood to re-read the whole Redwall series has made that my priority outside studying. I also watch a lot of anime and read a good bit of fic too. My desktop is built to handle the games that I do play, but I don't feel like I'm wasting its potential (great GPU, but it's not the latest or one with the highest specs). I've looked into getting a PS4 or an Xbox One (the only reason I'd go for an Xbox is backward compatibility with 360 games, and most of my preferred games are older), but right now I greatly prefer PC gaming. Might change in the future (though my computer is fairly future-proof at the moment).

Deored

Postby Deored » Mon May 16, 2016 9:43 am

If you get an Xbone I definitely suggest Sunset Overdrive. I'm a little disappointed with the selection that PS4 has right now. There hasn't been much I've been interested in. I may get Uncharted 4 but I'll need to get 3 as well. Don't like playing games out of order.

Return to “General Off Topic”