What's on your mind?

Discuss anything not related to Bad Dragon or the dedicated Forum Categories here! (Generally SFW. Please remember - No RP or Forum games!)
thesharkwhisperer

Re: What's on your mind?

Postby thesharkwhisperer » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:05 pm

That moment of relief when import taxes are way less than what you expected ! :excited:
History nerd - Dino lover - Pokémon - HUBBADUH
reine

Postby reine » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:46 pm

I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but Canada (and the US, according to my grandparents) have been changing the way they make pop. :( It's become really sickly sweet when it didn't used to be, and now I can barely drink my once-favorite brand of ginger ale anymore.

I heard it's because they use liquid sugar now instead of granulated/powder sugar like they used to, since it's "cheaper". As if a billion-dollar industry needs to worry about saving money. :eyeroll:
:psyduck:
Ghost_the_Crow

Postby Ghost_the_Crow » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:22 pm

reine wrote:I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but Canada (and the US, according to my grandparents) have been changing the way they make pop. :( It's become really sickly sweet when it didn't used to be, and now I can barely drink my once-favorite brand of ginger ale anymore.

I heard it's because they use liquid sugar now instead of granulated/powder sugar like they used to, since it's "cheaper". As if a billion-dollar industry needs to worry about saving money. :eyeroll:

Almost every company wants to maximize theor profit.
Sure a few cents per bottle/per ten bottles (for example) aren’t much but that accumulates with the millions or billions they produce.

I used to drink Coke but a few years back it started to taste so artificial that I switched to something else and later to something from a more local brewery where many people complain that their beer is so watered down and whatnot but I actually like that their Cola(mix) isn’t as sweet as eating a bag of white sugar raw.
Asexual / Gyneromantic / Probably Trans or Genderfluid(?) / Loves Cuddling

"Of course I know what I'm doing." I said, knowing that I didn't.
KnotyDes

Postby KnotyDes » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:20 pm

Ghost_the_Crow wrote:
reine wrote:I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the world, but Canada (and the US, according to my grandparents) have been changing the way they make pop. :( It's become really sickly sweet when it didn't used to be, and now I can barely drink my once-favorite brand of ginger ale anymore.

Almost every company wants to maximize theor profit.
Sure a few cents per bottle/per ten bottles (for example) aren’t much but that accumulates with the millions or billions they produce.

I used to drink Coke but a few years back it started to taste so artificial that I switched to something else and later to something from a more local brewery where many people complain that their beer is so watered down and whatnot but I actually like that their Cola(mix) isn’t as sweet as eating a bag of white sugar raw.

it pronounced PAP, lol so easy coast/north east US.

at least here in CA we have access to glass bottle Coke from Mexico. The main draw is that it still uses sugar rather than corn syrup (which i think is the liquid sugar reine was talking about?). It makes a big difference, its a lot smoother and not as "sweet," also the glass gives it a much purer taste.

Quite a few companies now are making the switch back to natural products, rather than the cheap processed ingredients that has been common over the last several decades. Canada Dry ginger ale for instance has switched back to both real ginger and real sugar or at least that's the image they are promoting, right now. both coke and pepsi have been offering real sugar, versions of their cola in recent years. It feels kinda like the big American companies have started listening to the demand for better quality product's, but change is slow.
My collection
► Show Spoiler
Curiosa

Postby Curiosa » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:13 am

^Well that explains why my SO and I prefer the glass bottled Coke from Mexico. We don't see it often, but when we do we snap some up. :misc2: :liplick: I kinda want to give making homemade root beer a try- my grandpa used to make it, best damn root beer you'll ever taste. I've only tasted like two store bought root beers that compare.

Also, I just learned that I have my father's propensity for absurdly loud whistling. At 1am in the morning... :misc4: :doh: I'm learning how to whistle- dad's not the best at explaining how he do the whistley bits so I've been practicing on my own trying to get the hang of it. So far no luck, no sound comes out, at least for human ears - but whatever noise I be making so far, the neighborhood dogs don't like it. But tonight I'm watching Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 do his arrow thing and I was mimicking what he be doing when.... well, I whistled REALLY REALLY LOUD. Yeah, ok, time for bed for me. I can practice later, when everyone in the neighborhood ain't trying to sleep.
You can't touch music- but music can touch you.

"Other than everything going completely wrong, it's all going according to plan!"

| 30 | Female | bisexual | married | crazy about rainbows and glitter | avid DIYer | loves knitting & cooking | fan of animation |
Ghost_the_Crow

Postby Ghost_the_Crow » Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:07 am

Curiosa wrote:Also, I just learned that I have my father's propensity for absurdly loud whistling. At 1am in the morning... :misc4: :doh: I'm learning how to whistle- dad's not the best at explaining how he do the whistley bits so I've been practicing on my own trying to get the hang of it. So far no luck, no sound comes out, at least for human ears - but whatever noise I be making so far, the neighborhood dogs don't like it. But tonight I'm watching Yondu from Guardians of the Galaxy vol.2 do his arrow thing and I was mimicking what he be doing when.... well, I whistled REALLY REALLY LOUD. Yeah, ok, time for bed for me. I can practice later, when everyone in the neighborhood ain't trying to sleep.

I somehow did it when I was five or so(?)
Since then I‘m mostly whistling while doing all kinds of other things, be it at work, while playing video games or just walking around, dunno if I do it unconsciously or not.
And it’s either completely random nonsense or stuff characters in TV series whistle while walking or pretending to be innocent ^^

(Sometimes I wonder if my coworkers are annoyed by this ^^)

Tallon

Postby Tallon » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:06 am

Jasmine wrote:Finally got my dehydrator and have my first ever batch of jerky going! The kitchen smells amazing :nomnom:

----

Tallon wrote:When is it too much?

I ask this because I'm in a bind about my alcohol use. When my son is awake and active, I'm sober. But as soon as he's asleep, I hit the bottle, often hard. I could tell you a thousand reasons why, but in the end isn't it a problem? I don't know where to draw the line, especially once I start feeling good... which means I'm feeling something. And I want to feel.

Are you drinking hard every night? To the point where you can't sleep without it?

It sounds like you're self medicating with alcohol, which can definitely be a slippery slope. And mixing it with other medication-

Tallon wrote:...but I know that mine requires 3x the medication than it used to...

-is definitely a bad idea. Not to be your mom, but you really ought to talk to your doctor if your meds are causing bad side effects- you don't have to live with only one choice of whatever, there should be options. And you shouldn't be mixing medication with alcohol!

I only say this out of concern, not to be nasty and mean :misc6:

It is self medicating, because I feel my current regimen is not working. I have an appointment with my psychiatrist this week and I intend to tell her about the alcohol. She won't be happy, but luckily she'll give me answers.

In other news, my culinary and cultural idol Anthony Bourdain took his own life. I am saddened beyond belief. He has been my culinary hero for years, and I have leaned so much from him. RIP.

*edited because I spell like a moron.
Last edited by Tallon on Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ecce! Scintillae!" :laugh:

Married Bisexual Kinky Old Man :stick:
AtomtheInsane

Postby AtomtheInsane » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:03 am

eloeelwe wrote:
AtomtheInsane wrote: what's on my mind is I can't believe I'm getting married this Friday :laugh: it's been ages since I've posted sadly.
But I thought I'd share the happy news.

WOW, Really?
Well congratulations Atom! I wish you more happiness than what my husband and I have.

thank you so much Eloe! I hope the happiness you and your husband share for one another lasts for a lifetime! I know my and my fiancee are both super happy, excited, and stressed out about the wedding today. But after today we will both look back and laugh about the stress.
Lipton

Postby Lipton » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:06 am

Finally, I got my packages... nearly 3 weeks for 200km :doh:
Toys I want to buy:
- Elypse Art: Neo & Vixen
- BD April Fool Toys: Red Rocket & Fire Hydrant

I'm located in Germany, feel free to send me a message if you're selling one of these.
Faffy the FauxFox

Postby Faffy the FauxFox » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:01 pm

if it is a good idea, for the sake of feelings. to de medicalise sex chromosomal conditions. resulting in xxxx syndrome no longer being a disorder but a natural variation part of the spectrum..
__________________________________________________________________________________
underwear is a hug for your butt
Niah

Postby Niah » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:46 am

It would be bad of me and it's too late to do it, but I so want to just call in sick to work. I am not sick, but I am exhausted still. I slept fairly decently and I've had two naps today already and I could go for another right if I didn't have to start getting ready in like 15 minutes. If, *if*, there aren't many dishes I should be out of there pretty quickly, but I won't know that till I get there. The rest shouldn't be too bad, but who knows. It's a farm tour weekend which means there are likely to be lots of people visiting, but I can only hope there won't be so many by the time I get there since we technically close at 6. I also hope I won't have to put feed in too many feeders either. Ugh. I just want to continue lazing about and take another nap or something. I need to get a job that doesn't leave me physically exhausted.
31/Asexual/Genderfluid (biologically female).

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
wolfstardobe

Postby wolfstardobe » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:43 pm

Do Bluetooth headphones work well? I really need some new headphones and it’s not like I can just get any headphones because Apple.
Female Taken Heteroflexible Hobby Dog Trainer
Ghost_the_Crow

Postby Ghost_the_Crow » Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:12 pm

wolfstardobe wrote:Do Bluetooth headphones work well? I really need some new headphones and it’s not like I can just get any headphones because Apple.

You can though, with a Lightning to AUX adapter.
I don’t think it should do any harm to the device but just in case inform yourself before you use one.

Tallon

Postby Tallon » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:53 am

Today I learned that my job was in peril. I won't name my company, but we've done major contracts for the EPA. Many other contract companies have been axed, and I'm worried about my tidal basin work to tears. I know I've posted about being irresponsibly medicated just before, but this is serious. This is my life's work. I don't know what to do other than call seemingly careless and complacent politicians. My supervisors are as lost as I am. Tonight we shared booze and tears. I cannot afford to lose these EPA contracts.
"Ecce! Scintillae!" :laugh:

Married Bisexual Kinky Old Man :stick:
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:22 am

Ghost_the_Crow wrote:
wolfstardobe wrote:Do Bluetooth headphones work well? I really need some new headphones and it’s not like I can just get any headphones because Apple.

I don’t think it should do any harm to the device but just in case inform yourself before you use one.

Apple themselves make such an adaptor. It's likely overpriced, but I know from experience that if you use cables not approved by Apple (or, in my case, Samsung for when I needed a new charging cable), there can be issues. That's more to do with charging cables than adaptors. That said, there's no reason why I shouldn't hurt the device since Apple does make them for their iPhones and everything else that might need an adaptor like that.

See my profile for a list of the toys I own. Please do not solicit me about selling any of my toys.
wolfstardobe

Postby wolfstardobe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:53 am

Niah wrote:
Ghost_the_Crow wrote:

Apple themselves make such an adaptor. It's likely overpriced, but I know from experience that if you use cables not approved by Apple (or, in my case, Samsung for when I needed a new charging cable), there can be issues. That's more to do with charging cables than adaptors. That said, there's no reason why I shouldn't hurt the device since Apple does make them for their iPhones and everything else that might need an adaptor like that.

Actually Apple provides the adapter with the phone. It’s literally an inch long and I’ve already lost it once... on my own shelf. It’s too small.
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:58 am

wolfstardobe wrote:
Niah wrote:
Ghost_the_Crow wrote:

Actually Apple provides the adapter with the phone. It’s literally an inch long and I’ve already lost it once... on my own shelf. It’s too small.

I thought they did. Well, as for Bluetooth headphones, I can't recommend any because I use an iPod Classic for my on-the-go music, and I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50X headphones at my computer.

wolfstardobe

Postby wolfstardobe » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:06 am

Niah wrote:
wolfstardobe wrote:
Niah wrote:

I thought they did. Well, as for Bluetooth headphones, I can't recommend any because I use an iPod Classic for my on-the-go music, and I use Audio-Technica ATH-M50X headphones at my computer.

It’s alright. I’m debating just getting a good brand of headphones and see how it goes. I need mine for hiking and damned if using the Apple headphone don’t hurt after 30 minutes.
Niah

Postby Niah » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:21 am

wolfstardobe wrote:
Niah wrote:
wolfstardobe wrote:

It’s alright. I’m debating just getting a good brand of headphones and see how it goes. I need mine for hiking and damned if using the Apple headphone don’t hurt after 30 minutes.

Yeah, I hear you there. I can wear mine for about 2 hours, but that's only from being used to them. I can wear my headphones most of a day, but that's pushing it (makes the tops of my ears start hurting). I hope you can find a pair that suit your needs.

reine

Postby reine » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:58 am

Even though my bloodwork came back with "less than 10% chance", I'm beginning to wonder if I do have UC/Crohn's after all. :unamused:
:psyduck:

Return to “General Off Topic”