Forum Shutdown Announcement

Hop in the history machine, and visit where news goes when it's no longer... well, new! Here you can find past sales, old website updates, and discontinued product information.
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Forum Shutdown Announcement

Postby Varka » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:43 pm

UPDATE 1: Please see my follow-up post here: viewtopic.php?f=0&t=26059&p=973272#p973272

UPDATE 2: Please see Sarmy's follow-up post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26059&start=240#p973408

UPDATE 3: The forums aren't being closed - see follow-up post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26104

Hello everyone,

Bad Dragon was founded in June 2008 with a mission statement of “Making Fantasies Real.” From our humble beginnings as a group of entrepreneuring friends with a tiny website to a company that’s a leader in fantasy-based adult toys, we’ve come a long way! Over the years, we’ve had several iterations of new websites and an ever-evolving and expanding selection of stimulating products.

With growth also came a variety of hurdles: how can we continue to create awesome products to meet the demands of our customers? One of the answers to these questions was tackled head-on years ago, and resulted in where you are right now: the Bad Dragon Forums.

When we were still a brand-new company carving out our niche in the adult industry, the Forums were a place where many of you, our customers, gathered to help us make steps in the right direction. You talked to us, and we talked to you. You came up with designs, you had ideas, and some of them made it into the spotlight as a permanent part of our lineup: Xar the Karabos, Elden the Faerie Dragon, and Crackers the Cockatrice, among many others.

Like any relationship, things changed over the years. Some of our customers decided to move on, and so did some of those who worked on the Forums. We grew, and we changed, and we weren’t able to talk to you as often. Our customer base grew, and suddenly we were more than a niche market for unusual fantasy-themed toys. The Forums were exploding, our email inboxes were flooded, and suggestions, feedback, and comments were everywhere.

Our Forums slowly transitioned into a place for our customers and fans to talk to each other. As we grew in size, it became more and more difficult to interact with the Forums regularly. With over 20,000 Forum users (not to mention our newsletter subscribers, Twitter followers, FurAffinity watchers…), we’d need an absolute army of Duke clones to respond to all the things people want to ask us!

Our moderator and administrator teams stepped up to the challenge of handling an increased workload, and strove to keep the community tidy and informed to the best of their ability. As Bad Dragon changed, so did the Forums, and now we find ourselves at a crossroads, ready to take the next step forward that’s needed to grow.

Looking towards the future and the things it holds, we at Bad Dragon have reached a difficult decision to close down the Bad Dragon Forums. The Forums have long provided a place that Bad Dragon used to interact with our customers, but as a hatchling cannot crawl back into the egg, we’ve no way of turning back the clock to the small company we once were.

We’ve outgrown the confines of our Forums, and it’s time for us to stretch our wings across new methods of keeping touch with our customers. We’d like to encourage each and every one of you to sign up for our newsletter to make sure you receive our most up-to-date news and announcements. Check out Duke on Twitter, @bad_dragon - or skip his snark and just get the down and dirty news from @BadDragonNews. Not a Tweeter? Not a problem. You can catch us on Tumblr at BadDragonToys.tumblr.com, or ogle all the pretties at BadDragonHoard.tumblr.com. We’ll be launching a gallery service where you can upload pictures of your toys and tag them soon - expect an update on that a little later. And you’ll still be able to read helpful FAQs or get in touch with our Customer Service team for assistance via our Help Center. The biggest and most important thing is that Bad Dragon will still be around to talk to - just in a different way.

We’ve decided that the best way to do this is to give all of you some time to make your peace with the Forums before they’re closed down and archived. You’ll have two weeks from today, Monday August 4th 2014, where you’ll still be able to create threads, post new topics, and use all of the features the Forums have available.

After two weeks, on Monday August 18th 2014, we will be placing the Forums into read-only mode. This will still allow you to read posts and send and reply to private messages (PMs).

On Monday September 1st 2014, the entire Forum will be archived and placed into read-only mode with PMs disabled. You’ll still be able to view the Forums for a short time (until September 8th 2014) before it’s taken down and added to our permanent archives.

It’s been a hell of a ride, and I’d like to thank everyone who helped make Bad Dragon and the forums great. Back in the early days, when I was just starting to sculpt toys, the Forums were the principal place I went to discuss what I was working on. Many new designs and ideas came from it - and without your help, I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t be here today!

Here’s to you, Forums!

Varka

UPDATE 1: Please see my follow-up post here: viewtopic.php?f=0&t=26059&p=973272#p973272

UPDATE 2: Please see Sarmy's follow-up post here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26059&start=240#p973408
Kith

Re: Forum Shutdown Announcement

Postby Kith » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:00 pm

We may have ways to communicate with the company, but we lose the capability of talking to each other. I'll miss helping people.
KatieCD

Postby KatieCD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:06 pm

This is very surprising and I'm not sure how to react. I'm glad that I got to be a part of this forum for half a year and I want to thank the bad dragon staff for their hard work and amazing products!
Audax

Postby Audax » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 pm

I want to take the time to thank each and every one of you fine Forum folks I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with - and even those who I never really got to know - for making this such an awesome haven of awesome people.

I have no doubt whatsoever that without the crowd of people from the Forums, Bad Dragon wouldn't be where we are today. While I'm sad to be stepping away from the community as this chapter draws to a close, I'm excited to see where the future will take us from here.

A wise man once said that every story must have an ending, yet we all know deep in our hearts that every ending is merely a chance for a new beginning. May this be remembered not as something that was lost, but as a treasured time full of fond memories, funny stories, and good friendships.
PackagedGore

Postby PackagedGore » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:20 pm

Couldn't it just be for the users? Even without official staff input. This is the only company like this with an active forum. I know I'm not very active personally or prolific but checking the forum is still something I look forward to every night.

It seems like every time I get interested in something, it stops. I start reading Harry Potter between the 6th and 7th book releases, Homestuck during the gigapause, I followed Regretsy for years and shortly after I started posting, it shut down too. Now you can't even read the old posts.
Heck, if it weren't for these forums I wouldn't have ever known the quality, what to expect, how normal these other people are, or anything else. I'd never have bought anything from Bad Dragon at all. So there's at least 1 customer gained from it. I'm sure my 4 toys don't make much of a dent in the cost to run things but there's probably others like me who were won over by this community.
I feel really creepy/pathetic about being a 90% lurker but still (literally) shedding a few tears at the community going away. :oops: I've never been one of the more popular or well known people, there will be no one out there missing my <20 posts. I will miss all of you though. :cry:
Grimmyr

Postby Grimmyr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:22 pm

Pretty much how I feel. :U The forum helps new people find all the information they need to buy stuff and whatnot. What I honestly feel right now is a whole: "too good for a forum right now and can't really bother with it". Even though a huge chunk of the forum members here have been helpful for so many. I don't honestly see the big deal of keeping a forum. Boo, to become a better company we need to shut down our forums.
Sleighter

Postby Sleighter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:23 pm

When its officially archived, can we still read the past posts? For the help threads and stuff?
vahaala

Postby vahaala » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:25 pm

That's really a shame, since while this might sound weird, the forums were the place I've met some wonderful people. Some people I got to just merely know, some people more I know more up-close *wink wink you know who you are :P* And this was the most forgiving and friendly community I've been into. Now the reason I spend time on computer is soon gone... Maybe this will motivate me to do other things instead xP
But this is gonna get your loyal customers angry. For me half the joy was sharing with my new toy(s) or experiences with people.
As PackagedGore said, why not just put some users with most time spent or whatever as moderators/admins and leave forums be?
Audax

Postby Audax » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Sleighter wrote:When its officially archived, can we still read the past posts? For the help threads and stuff?

In the coming weeks, I will be taking a look over the Help section of the Forums to see what articles may be helpful to have as FAQs in the future. We can't promise that one particular topic or another will or won't have an FAQ, but my teammates and I will review things and see what can be done.
stuck-on-the-knot1

Postby stuck-on-the-knot1 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

I can't believe it :cry: I have made so many good friends and met good people on here and I really wish it could stay! I look forward to checking the forums every day and I'm going to miss everyone and everything on here! Why must it go? ;^;

This is such a great community! I really wish it didn't have to leave! At least we can still look back at posts
thesharkwhisperer

Postby thesharkwhisperer » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:27 pm

Also mean we won't get the possibility to buy secondhand toys either. But I think I saw another secondhand thread on another company site, so I guess we won't lose everything.
vJoh

Postby vJoh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:28 pm

Seems like a cop-out to me really.

"We can't be bothered to manage the forums anymore lets make some excuse about out growing them".

I liked the level of privacy a forums account has without the issues of having to back and forth between logins. All the "alternatives" listed in the first post would require me to sign up with new logins to interact with privacy, so cba with that.

Well whatever, your company your rules. I know theres going to be a lot of unhappy people about losing this place.

I guess I may start an unofficial spin-off forum based on some modern software to keep things going for people.
Last edited by vJoh on Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eloeelwe

Postby eloeelwe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Damn, I'm a bit stunned by this.
I found this place a year and a half ago, the first place I ever interacted with others online. I felt so welcome here and made so many friends. You have no Idea how much this forum means to me and how much it has changed me for the better.
I know of no other place I can be the real me other than here and in real life. I am so very sad that it has come to this.
Thank you Bad Dragon, for what you gave me.

Farewell
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:29 pm

Sleighter wrote:When its officially archived, can we still read the past posts? For the help threads and stuff?

We have some plans to migrate some of the contents of help threads across to our main website and helpdesk, to preserve information on things like customs charges, what our packaging looks like and so on. Once it's fully archived (the final step in the timeline), it won't be publically accessible - but we'll still have access to it if we need to dig out some information.

edit: derp, audax beat me to it.
MurphyAlter

Postby MurphyAlter » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Wow, and I was having such a good day, too.

I literally just started in on these forums a few days ago, but I already feel like a part of this place. I'm going to be really sad to see it go, and honestly I don't understand why closing the forums is necessary for growth. It sounds like such a poor decision, from both the social and business fronts. It's like saying "shit, we got too successful, so we're shutting down this service you love, which contributed to our success" which is really sad.
vJoh

Postby vJoh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:41 pm

Watch this site, new forum specifially related to talking about bad-dragon incoming soon:

www.bad-dragon-chat.com
Grimmyr

Postby Grimmyr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:43 pm

vJoh wrote:Watch this site, new forum specifially related to talking about bad-dragon incoming soon:

http://www.bad-dragon-chat.com

Who's site?
vJoh

Postby vJoh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:53 pm

Grimmyr wrote:
vJoh wrote:Watch this site, new forum specifially related to talking about bad-dragon incoming soon:

http://www.bad-dragon-chat.com

Who's site?

I'm setting it up, will basically be run by the users to carry on what currently happens here.
Grimmyr

Postby Grimmyr » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:56 pm

We already got talk of one in the WOYM thread. You should discuss it with us over there!
TLTF

Postby TLTF » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:56 pm

I think you guys are missing the point of a forum, A lot of people on here come to the forum to talk with each other and share experiences, I have learned more from the users on here than from your site. It was the forums that finalized my decision to purchase one of your products, not your site or one of your staff. Leaving the forum up as a central location for your customers to communicate with each other and share stories isn't any skin off your nose, plus it helps promote your product. In the end it's your call but IMHO its a bad one.

Return to “Old News”