Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Hop in the history machine, and visit where news goes when it's no longer... well, new! Here you can find past sales, old website updates, and discontinued product information.
User avatar
Ammonight
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:21 pm

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Ammonight » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:05 am

I thought I'd put my two cents in before the thread's locked. The subject is obviously volatile especially due to people who have had first-hand encounters with the matter of being sexually abused underage. In my personal opinion, I think this whole mess could have been subverted if the character was based on one of the more 'adult' looking ponies like Princess Celestia. I don't watch MLP and I get that people are saying that the characters are adults and have adult jobs, but from what I've seen the main five or whatever have both child-like appearances and child-like personalities and thinking (obviously in order to relate to their target audience, being a fictional show after all). The ambiguity isn't helped when the only evidence is 'she had 21 candles on her cake', a detail only very hardcore fans know and casual viewers would probably dismiss it. Same too for artist clarifications when stating her age, art is open to interpretation after all and I think some would find it difficult to look at the drawing and truly believe that the pony is legal. Anyway, I hope BD keeps the toy because think there's anything wrong with the toy itself and many customers might enjoy it, merely that the promotion for it is very controversial and has rubbed a lot of people up the wrong way which in turn might repel them from buying what may very well be a perfectly good toy.
User avatar
Atchmon
Posts: 51
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:55 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Atchmon » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:23 am

:lol: . And I just got Mary a few weeks ago, oh well. Looks good, but I'm not sure of the front since it looks like a good length of it is wasted on aesthetics. It goes with the art for sure, but doesn't have that generalized look I suppose. Something just looks off to me, but I can't put words to it. :words:
I just ordered it, looking at the size dimensions. It looks like it'll be a good size toy considering it's suppose to be a 'little' pony. :lol: . Hope it'll be better than Mary!
"I created beauty simply by rocking, that's all..."- Eddie Roads
User avatar
pimo
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 am
Gender: Queer, taken
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby pimo » Sat Aug 15, 2015 2:52 am

Braeburned wrote:Sup!

Holy wow, I am not worthy! Your work is an inspiration.

Will you sign this for me please? [male, nsfw] http://braeburned.com/image/45630190245
User avatar
Harra
Posts: 368
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:21 pm
Gender: Non-binary (DFAB)
Location: Arizona

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Harra » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:02 am

I know I'm a bit new to BD and the forums, but after reading the entire thread, I've a few thoughts on the issue. ... Since my writing can sometimes be a little verbose and lengthy, I've divided sections into spoilers and tagged any potentially controversial or triggering content.

Thoughts on the toy itself:
[spoiler]Cute, nice, I'm just ambivalent because it's not a toy I can really use. (Oral uses aside, but I'm not really interested in eating out, so theoretically Sugar Star would do nothing for me play-wise.) It's nice to have a more cartoony mare style for the MLP fans, since from what I've read from my weeklong stint of lurking on the forums, there are a lot of MLP fans here. Good that they get to have some fun of their own~[/spoiler]

The site's design being changed for the release:
[spoiler]Ye gods! I was a little surprised to suddenly see bright colours when I'm used to BD's nice, simple black background. I understand that sites can change their design, but it was still a bit jarring and probably not the best move. I've not been around long enough to know if BD has changed the site background for other toy releases. (If anyone would be kind enough to inform me on whether or not that's the case, I'd really appreciate it!)

If they have changed the background before, then awesome. But if they haven't, it seems a little sketchy that they're suddenly doing it just for MLP-inspired toys.[/spoiler]

Sugar Star as a character/MLP-related things:
[spoiler]Sure, her character design looks a little more chibi and a little more youthful. It's been stated many times that this is part of the artist's style, and shouldn't be too much of a concern. Besides, BD has had more chibified or at least youthful looking art (those big sparkly eyes on Nox don't exactly scream "Adult" to me) before. I don't know if people have had discussions about this before, but Sugar is hardly the only toy with questionable content-- be that the art, the character concept, the description/story, or even the influence (I read that there were 'controversies' and heated discussion about more feral-based toys.)

As for this being an MLP thing, I'll outright state it: I'm a bit of a Brony, and one thing that really impresses me about the adult side of the fandom is that most folks really do take initiative to keep adult content out of the hands and eyes of the younger fans. I personally am not into clop, and am rather resistant to sexualizing MLP, but even though those are my own personal thoughts, I'd never dream of wanting to limit someone else's sexual enjoyment of the fandom or the characters. ... And honestly, using the argument that MLP is intended as a kid's show is all well and good, but I'd hope anyone who makes that argument is fighting just as hard against Pokemon and Digimon porn, or virtually any other kid's show that has a sexual side to the fandom.[/spoiler]

Relating to fantasies (warning: Lots of talk about nonconsent/rape, bestiality, and pedophilia)
[spoiler]Plain and simple: People should be allowed to have fantasies of whatever they want. Policing someone's thoughts is an honest overstep of anyone's bounds. Now, if someone publicly (or privately) shares these fantasies, it's okay to feel disgusted, it's okay to say "Not for me", but it is not okay to degrade a person or otherwise shame them for their personal fantasies. Yes, even fantasies relating to groups who normally cannot consent (IE: Underage people and ferals). So long these stay entirely in the realm of fantasy. The minute it crosses the line into a "flesh-and-blood" nonconsenting partner is when it stops being okay (obviously).

Note that I did not say an of age and consenting partner pretending to be younger, or pretending to not consent, or pretending to be a feral creature. If you've found a safe outlet for your fantasies and have someone who indulges (or better yet enjoys) your fantasies, then power to you. As long as someone is not being genuinely harmed/victimized in the process (like in the case of having sex with an animal/someone who is underage, or in the cases of real-life child pornography), then where is the harm?

It's okay to have fantasies, it's okay to use toys to enhance said fantasies. I mean really, we're on a site that sells fantasy ding-dongs, are we really going to get hung up on one specific toy that shares a theme to another (in this case Sugar and Mary both being equine), or features a character art that is a little more chibi? Sometimes fantasies aren't politically correct, and as long as they stay within the realm of fantasy alone, that's okay. (Heck, goodness knows I have more than a few fantasies that aren't very politically correct, and I'm sure there are plenty on the forums who can say the same.)[/spoiler]

TL;DR:
I've no real interest in the toy itself because it does nothing for me
Holy bright background on the site, Batman!
Cool that the MLP crowd has a toy relevant to their interest
Chibi-like art can happen and it doesn't necessarily have an influence on the character itself
There are adult fans to children's shows and the MLP crowd usually makes a pretty good effort to keep adult stuff out of young fan's hands
People have fantasies that are not always politically correct, this is okay.

And an added disclaimer: If anything I say isn't too clear, please feel free to ask and I'll elabourate or otherwise explain. 'Tis 0300 hours off in Arizona-land, so I'm not exactly the most coherent at this late hour.
Oh... am I supposed to put something witty here? Alright. Something witty. :stick:

Collection:
► Show Spoiler
User avatar
ZebraKing
Posts: 1685
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:28 am
Gender: Male, Single and looking. Cum at me ;)

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby ZebraKing » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:04 am

Man, after reading through some of this now I cant help but laugh. Fuck a horse? cool. Fuck an UNDERAGED horse? not cool.

What the fuck? the double standard is hilarious. And can someone enlighten me as to the legal age of a fictional horse?

Getting so nettled over a freaking sex toy on a site specifically catering to the unusual is so full of irony that I think it just cured my anemia...cuz...you know, iron? It's a pun.

and yes, they've changed the site's background before.
User avatar
Naz
Posts: 349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:27 pm
Gender: Female
Location: Australia

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Naz » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:00 am

Holy cow has this post got out of hand. I do hope the mods clean it up soon.. :shock:
User avatar
kiramii
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:56 am
Gender: female

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby kiramii » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:33 am

personally the only thing that bothers me about it a lot is the fact: "openly selling products of a sexual nature featuring their IP and blatant sexualization of children’s media for profit is disgusting :) "

as said by another user about how hasbro might not like this.


i think it is wrong to sexualize childrens content. now i know this means people arent going to stop drawing rule 34 of children related things, but a business owned sex toy that is making a childish themed toy just for profit? i dont agree with that so much.

and even the toy its self is so kid and cartoon like. the vagina doesnt even look realistic barely at all, its blatantly a toony young vagina.

im interested to see how the copyright turns out, if there ends up being one.
kollebloem
Posts: 12
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:55 am
Gender: n/a

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby kollebloem » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:50 am

Been thinking about whether I should reply to this thread or not.

Personally, I'm squicked out by the whole sexualisation of content (mostly cartoons) originally aimed at children. I don't care if that's MLP, HTTYD, Steven Universe. Adding the MLP inspired toy (with its art) to the MLP inspired new background, definitely not my thing.

Like, I can't (and won't) stop anybody from purchasing whatever hunk of silicone they want, but personally, if I had a penis, I'd still be squicked the hell out. To each their own and such.

Changing the site background goes a little far in my eyes, making it only more and more obvious this was inspired by a children's cartoon, complete with the cutie mark on the toy. No thanks.

(To add to my ramble, I am a full on "SJW". You know, the types who are in favour of equal rights and safety for all. How very dare we. I love when people try to use SJW as an insult, because it shows pretty well what their stances are on equality and safety. Same goes for "special snowflake" and "are you triggered yet".)

I think I'll stick to the toys not so blatantly inspired by kids' stuff.
Morrows
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:35 am
Gender: Male

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Morrows » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:03 am

kiramii wrote:personally the only thing that bothers me about it a lot is the fact: "openly selling products of a sexual nature featuring their IP and blatant sexualization of children’s media for profit is disgusting :) "

as said by another user about how hasbro might not like this.


i think it is wrong to sexualize childrens content. now i know this means people arent going to stop drawing rule 34 of children related things, but a business owned sex toy that is making a childish themed toy just for profit? i dont agree with that so much.

and even the toy its self is so kid and cartoon like. the vagina doesnt even look realistic barely at all, its blatantly a toony young vagina.

im interested to see how the copyright turns out, if there ends up being one.


it LITERALLY hurts NOBODY

Even though I wouldn't ever buy this toy because there are others that are better, I am at least happy that I haven't seen any call to remove this because it's disgusting or w/e.
User avatar
kiramii
Posts: 26
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:56 am
Gender: female

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby kiramii » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:07 am

Morrows wrote:
kiramii wrote:personally the only thing that bothers me about it a lot is the fact: "openly selling products of a sexual nature featuring their IP and blatant sexualization of children’s media for profit is disgusting :) "

as said by another user about how hasbro might not like this.


i think it is wrong to sexualize childrens content. now i know this means people arent going to stop drawing rule 34 of children related things, but a business owned sex toy that is making a childish themed toy just for profit? i dont agree with that so much.

and even the toy its self is so kid and cartoon like. the vagina doesnt even look realistic barely at all, its blatantly a toony young vagina.

im interested to see how the copyright turns out, if there ends up being one.


it LITERALLY hurts NOBODY


it may not hurt someone physically, and probably not most mentally.

but for some people who deal with child molestation issues, or have been a victim themselves, this is very troubling and can be
"hurtful" to them.

it hurts the brand name of my little pony, when people find things like this. it darkens their name even more. mlp porn art? yeah obviously thats a problem to them. but when a big company uses the ponies for a profit from a sex toy, it proves much more of a problem than the art will ever cause.
User avatar
TheLibrarian
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:06 am
Gender: Female

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby TheLibrarian » Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:57 am

ZebraKing wrote:Man, after reading through some of this now I cant help but laugh. Fuck a horse? cool. Fuck an UNDERAGED horse? not cool.
What the fuck? the double standard is hilarious. And can someone enlighten me as to the legal age of a fictional horse?



I like this- the legal age of a horse (when they start breeding, let's say) is 2 years old, males it's even less. That is THEIR age of consent. Yeowch.

I wouldn't ever use this, but that's because I'm a girl. Now, if someone wants to make a Discord dick? lol........

The one thing that really bothers me is all the posts from people trying to strong-arm BD into taking it down. I saw one post say something to the effect that they just ordered their last two wishlist items, and that because of this toy they're not going to order anything else for a while. Really? That sounds a lot like saying "If you don't immediately stop anyone that might actually like this from buying it from you I'm not going to shop here anymore". That seems quite ignorant to me, and though they may not realize it, they're doing to these fans what other people do to the BD site as a whole. It's the whole "If it's something I don't agree with, there's something wrong with you" that I've dealt with my entire life. That really irks me.

Going back to the legal age thing; one thing you don't really think about is that, lets say, you have a dog that's 21 years old.

That's not 21 for them, that's 147 years old.

I hate math. Numbers make me cry.

That's why I don't look at these toys and immediately try to calculate "is the rubber penis I just bought mature enough to fuck?" Of course it is. You know why? Because despite what artwork or story is accompanied by it, my imagination says whatever creature this is associated with is just a few years older than I am. (Because I really can't get off on anyone that's even two years younger than I am. I'M AN AGE-IST! FORGIVE ME!) Because it's all pretend, so it doesn't really matter.

What kind of scares me is the mindset of someone who goes to a website like this and sees underage things. Because like I said, it's all in your mind. Literally.

Oh, and the post that said they're not buying anything else? That made me laugh. They just purchased the last two items on their wishlist- it doesn't sound likely that they were in the market for anything else for a while regardless.
An essay should be like a woman's skirt- long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to keep it interesting ;) .
User avatar
Willow
Posts: 4223
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:05 am
Gender: MtF
Location: Las Vegas
Contact:

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Willow » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:30 am

XENODRAGON wrote:I created an account here just to post this, i have been lurking BD since only December with my SO and so far we have only purchased 7 toys, none of them penetrables, from small to our newest XL adoption being shipped tomorrow i assume, And we were looking into possibly a few penetrable, was gonna at least try and get one of each over the course of the next month or two, but this new MLP penetrable kind of puts me and my SO both off, we talked about it and it equaly kind of turns us off from bad dragon products, neither one of us being a fan of MLP, my SO not even knowing what it was they told me how it looked underage cause they were browsing Adoptions and then seen it on the front page. We are already thrown off how we have been waiting over a month for our very first toy which was a small slepnier to be made some time this year, we understand there can be back logs but then seeing you have pre made alot of ... these toys make us question How bad dragon operates and at this point we may be asking for our money back soon at this rate, not to mention that "mark" on the sides of it is somthing that will instantly make me not want to buy things because i prefer discreet products, never anything "branded" but thats our opinions and they may not matter that much, but we thought some one may value the view of couples who do not browse these forums often at all.

TL:DR Couple are not for the new toy, for people who do not know MLP that well, it still looks very underage, and at this point may be shopping some wheres else from now on over this.

Anyways, thank you for your time, c:

Um, ok? I'm not really you can ask for your money back on the toys you ordered. Just because you don't like where there business is headed really isn't a reason for money back.
I don't get the "discreet toy" remark. You are okay with someone seeing the sextoy, but totally NOT okay if it has a little logo carved out. It's not even all that clear what it is unless you know the brand.
Not trying to bitch or anything, blame my OCD* for not comprehending comments... and I just feel the need to understand what people mean. Seriously, don't mean to offend.

Sean wrote:I find it questionable that people are freaking out over this yet nothing about Snowball. I mean, the description says his birthday rolled around and he is "just only recently getting dirty thoughts"? That's a huge implement that he's underage.

Actually there was a little controversy over his release. People freaked because he looked to young. But it did state for the beginning he was 18... didn't stop the bitching, It wasn't as big as this is though.

I never even really looked at the art that much. It's not my style of art so I never focused on it. I saw it, yes, but that wasn't my main interest for the toy.

Anyway, there's something about child labor laws, I don't think she'd be owning her own shop if she was a child. Yeah, I'm being a smart-ass. What is the laws regarding a pony owning a bakery?
I have to read the rest of the pages now.


*No, I don't have OCD, and do apologize for those that have to deal with that. I was only used to help get my point across.
You can sleep with ablonde,you can sleep withbrunettebut you'll never get any sleep with aredhead.
A wolf in the streets... a fox in the sheets.
Morrows
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:35 am
Gender: Male

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Morrows » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:56 am

kiramii wrote:
Morrows wrote:
kiramii wrote:personally the only thing that bothers me about it a lot is the fact: "openly selling products of a sexual nature featuring their IP and blatant sexualization of children’s media for profit is disgusting :) "

as said by another user about how hasbro might not like this.


i think it is wrong to sexualize childrens content. now i know this means people arent going to stop drawing rule 34 of children related things, but a business owned sex toy that is making a childish themed toy just for profit? i dont agree with that so much.

and even the toy its self is so kid and cartoon like. the vagina doesnt even look realistic barely at all, its blatantly a toony young vagina.

im interested to see how the copyright turns out, if there ends up being one.


it LITERALLY hurts NOBODY


it may not hurt someone physically, and probably not most mentally.

but for some people who deal with child molestation issues, or have been a victim themselves, this is very troubling and can be
"hurtful" to them.

it hurts the brand name of my little pony, when people find things like this. it darkens their name even more. mlp porn art? yeah obviously thats a problem to them. but when a big company uses the ponies for a profit from a sex toy, it proves much more of a problem than the art will ever cause.


So because someone is offended we shouldn't ever sell certain stuff and completely take into consideration any way anyone can be offended?

Offense is taken, not given.

Just because someone is offended, doesn't mean they're entitled to anything at all.

Edit: And also, why should whether or not another company's brand name is hurt, be something to be taken into consideration by any consumer, we're not representing them. Even then it's a bit of a moot point, because in my perspective, their brand name would be ruined IF they took action against stuff like this.
User avatar
Nixsy_Kitty
Posts: 109
Joined: Tue May 19, 2015 1:02 pm
Gender: Male

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Nixsy_Kitty » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:27 am

I like the picture better than the toy. I really wish there was a toy with the full package down there (you know, butthole included). And cool new background and theme to the website! Yeah, I am in the support camp. I think its well understood parodies are not canon. The original story will go on in its innocence.

I wonder if the website change is an indication of more Pony or cartoon-theme toys to come? I really want that butthole... :oops:
It is harder to preserve than to obtain liberty. -John Caldwell Calhoun
bisexual male; A cat who likes wolves....and hugs
User avatar
Chubby_Bunny
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:24 pm
Gender: Pansexual|Poly-curious
Location: US

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Chubby_Bunny » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:46 am

A lot of people get MLP inspired toys from BD and other sites all the time and everyone is pretty cool about it but once BD makes an actual pony inspired toy, everyone trips. I think y'all should just chill.

No way is BD gonna come out with a toy with an underage character associated with it (and it's not even a character from the show so you can't say how old they are)
It's just the art style which uses over exaggeration in its proportions to make it cute.

And honestly I think it's cute and I want one despite not having the bits.
Gender: Witch|Single|Owns 38 dongs|12 Eggs|Waiting on 2 more|Bottle caps collected: 6/9
User avatar
reine
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 pm
Gender: F
Location: Canada

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby reine » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:49 am

Wow, I missed a party last night. The "THIS TOY IS FINE SHUT YOUR FUCK" people are, like, 500x angrier than the people who said it makes them uncomfortable :psyduck: Oh no, some people don't like my little pony cash-grab clop toys so they... are apparently SJWs??????

ZelSuthtin wrote:Sure if there wasn't already one there I'd not be in such a conundrum....But this really does just seem kinda like a cashgrab. OH LOOK, A TOY FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T APPRECIATE SUBTLE REFERENCES! BUY IT! PONIES YOU GUIEZ!

Also BD please don't change the nice, pleasing to the eye dark backgrounds into a suddenCOLORINYOURFACEHAHAHAHAHOPEYOULIKEBRIGHTCOLORS.


Yeah, I agree. :'V
I don't mind BD making a generic-but-referencey pony toy, since we have a generic horse with MLP reference colours, but this is absolutely intended to be a brony-exclusive cash grab and just reads as really tasteless and tactless. At least the reference colours are subtle, but this toy is definitely not directed at a general audience.

They could've at least made the art more like Rowan's- cartoony, but not FiM cartoony- and called the toy "Sugar Star the Pony" or "Sugar the Pony" to fit the naming scheme. As it stands, a lot of non-clopper potential consumers are probably going to be turned off by the "LOOK!! CARTOON PONY CLOPPER TOY!!!"-ness of it, and I don't want to see BD become known as "a site for cloppers". :[

Really, a simple art change (and maybe a slight name change) would make a world of difference. I hate obvious cash-grabs and this is no exception.

And, yeah, please change the background to the old one. ;; These colours are bright and jarring with the rest of the site's layout, and there is something very uncomfortable about a sex toy shop with a kiddie theme.
:psyduck:
User avatar
Daftpon3
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm
Gender: Male - Homosexual

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Daftpon3 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:06 am

reine wrote:Wow, I missed a party last night. The "THIS TOY IS FINE SHUT YOUR FUCK" people are, like, 500x angrier than the people who said it makes them uncomfortable :psyduck: Oh no, some people don't like my little pony cash-grab clop toys so they... are apparently SJWs??????

ZelSuthtin wrote:Sure if there wasn't already one there I'd not be in such a conundrum....But this really does just seem kinda like a cashgrab. OH LOOK, A TOY FOR PEOPLE WHO DON'T APPRECIATE SUBTLE REFERENCES! BUY IT! PONIES YOU GUIEZ!

Also BD please don't change the nice, pleasing to the eye dark backgrounds into a suddenCOLORINYOURFACEHAHAHAHAHOPEYOULIKEBRIGHTCOLORS.


Yeah, I agree. :'V
I don't mind BD making a generic-but-referencey pony toy, since we have a generic horse with MLP reference colours, but this is absolutely intended to be a brony-exclusive cash grab and just reads as really tasteless and tactless. At least the reference colours are subtle, but this toy is definitely not directed at a general audience.

They could've at least made the art more like Rowan's- cartoony, but not FiM cartoony- and called the toy "Sugar Star the Pony" or "Sugar the Pony" to fit the naming scheme. As it stands, a lot of non-clopper potential consumers are probably going to be turned off by the "LOOK!! CARTOON PONY CLOPPER TOY!!!"-ness of it, and I don't want to see BD become known as "a site for cloppers". :[

Really, a simple art change (and maybe a slight name change) would make a world of difference. I hate obvious cash-grabs and this is no exception.

And, yeah, please change the background to the old one. ;; These colours are bright and jarring with the rest of the site's layout, and there is something very uncomfortable about a sex toy shop with a kiddie theme.

I think you'll find that none of the people defending not just the toy, but peoples right to their fantasies, stormed out saying that the community supports rape/sexual assault and pedophilia.

Also, you are aware that businesses goal is to "grab" cash right. If you really have that much of an issue about a company catering to a certain group for money, then maybe you should stay away from anything that involves the exchange of money.
User avatar
reine
Posts: 1426
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:39 pm
Gender: F
Location: Canada

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby reine » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:14 am

Creating a toy for something popular to earn money is one thing-- BD did that with their dinosaur toys and their "Dragon Island" game.

The difference is that dinosaur-themed toys will appeal to anyone who likes dinosaurs, not just Jurassic Park fans, while Sugar Star is 100% directed exclusively at bronies. "A lot of people like T-Rexes, so we made a T-Rex toy" is directed at a much larger, more varied audience than "LOOK!! IT'S A MLP VAGINA!! (because the already-existing horse vagina apparently wasn't good enough)", which is absolutely a cheap cash pull for bronies.

There's a difference between "catering" and "tasteless pandering for a quick buck".
:psyduck:
User avatar
Daftpon3
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:47 pm
Gender: Male - Homosexual

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby Daftpon3 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:18 am

reine wrote:Creating a toy for something popular to earn money is one thing-- BD did that with their dinosaur toys and their "Dragon Island" game.

The difference is that dinosaur-themed toys will appeal to anyone who likes dinosaurs, not just Jurassic Park fans, while Sugar Star is 100% directed exclusively at bronies. "A lot of people like T-Rexes, so we made a T-Rex toy" is directed at a much larger, more varied audience than "LOOK!! IT'S A MLP VAGINA!! (because the already-existing horse vagina apparently wasn't good enough)", which is absolutely a cheap cash pull for bronies.

There's a difference between "catering" and "tasteless pandering for a quick buck".

Okay, your point? The only difference is that they're appealing to a different nich that might have less sales. It's not enough to just say appealing to this group is okay but appealing to this smaller group isn't.
XENODRAGON
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:17 pm
Gender: Drone
Location: P.E.I. CANADA

Re: Pour a 'lil sugar on us!

Postby XENODRAGON » Sat Aug 15, 2015 9:19 am

reine wrote:Creating a toy for something popular to earn money is one thing-- BD did that with their dinosaur toys and their "Dragon Island" game.

The difference is that dinosaur-themed toys will appeal to anyone who likes dinosaurs, not just Jurassic Park fans, while Sugar Star is 100% directed exclusively at bronies. "A lot of people like T-Rexes, so we made a T-Rex toy" is directed at a much larger, more varied audience than "LOOK!! IT'S A MLP VAGINA!! (because the already-existing horse vagina apparently wasn't good enough)", which is absolutely a cheap cash pull for bronies.

There's a difference between "catering" and "tasteless pandering for a quick buck".


totally agree, like its one thing to make a dick out a specific animal like a t-rex, but if it could easily be called by X-brand name Vagina/dick then its nothing but catered to a specific group and this MLP group is still off a childs show/toy

Return to “Old News”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest