Moderation Feedback Thread

Hop in the history machine, and visit where news goes when it's no longer... well, new! Here you can find past sales, old website updates, and discontinued product information.
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Moderation Feedback Thread

Postby Varka » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:26 pm

-----

EDIT: Thanks everyone for submitting your feedback; We're going to go discuss the results internally and will be coming up with a plan of action that we'll announce shortly (Most likely on Monday or Tuesday). For a full analysis, see my final post in this thread.

-----

Hey guys,

I'd like to get some ideas from you all about how we can improve the Bad Dragon Forums - in particular, regarding how it's moderated and administered - as it's become clear that there are a couple of areas we could do with significantly improving (moderation coverage, ie amount of time moderators have eyeballs on the site each day, being one of these).

I'd like to hear relevant, civil, straightforward feedback from as broad a possible base of users as possible, as well as any suggestions (please try to refrain from lengthy discussion for/against a particular solution, we're looking to get a groundswell of opinion before we figure out which one to use) on how we could improve things. Sensible, well thought through solutions are thoroughly encouraged - and if you have a concern, as long as you express it civilly, then I'll take it on board and use it as input to enact positive change on the forums.

Remember: this is us opening up a channel for open, frank discussions about the way the forums are run and maintained, and we value your views (as well as suggestions for improvement). Our goal is not to snub anybody; HOWEVER in order to make sure we have enough of a broad sample size I'd like to ensure that each person expresses their main concerns once, rather than posting continuously (which unfairly reduces the visibility of others' concerns). If you have another point or item to add feel free to post again, but I'd like to make it clear I don't want to see 'back and forth' posting or arguing, please.

Answer Template - Bad Dragon Forum Feedback
1. What are you happy with, regarding the way the forums are run?
2. What are you not happy with, regarding the way the forums are run?
3. For the things you've mentioned, why do you think this is?
4. What ideas or suggestions do you have for improving the way the forums are run?
5. What do you think the long-term affects of these changes will be?

I look forward to hearing what you all bring forth; we're listening to your concerns, and we want to make things better - but to do that, we need to know what's wrong, and get some ideas for how to fix it.

There'll be another generation of this thread later on, as we try to distill down the results of this feedback thread into some solid solutions for how we can actually implement positive changes.

Thanks all <3

Varka
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
Runa

Re: Moderation Feedback Thread

Postby Runa » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:46 pm

I can't answer the full questionnaire, but I can say this:

You need a mod that's here all the time, that DOESN'T take days or even a week to respond to reports and arguments. someone who actually gets involved in the forum, and not just becuase they're told to but becuase they want to.

Frankly, you don't have that now. Get someone who's more active first, then work on making them mod. I have some notes I'd like to share, but I'll do that more comprehensively later. the thing BD needs to know is that if they want to give people the impression that the forums mean anything to BD, they have to start by getting someone who cares about said forums, not just someone who comes around once or twice a week becuase they're obligated to, doesn't read all (or even most of) the posts, and doesn't get involved.

Yeah, I volunteer, no I don't expect any positive responses from BD. I'm just saying that I happened to be pretty much everything a mod needed to be except neutral (which frankly is boring.)
Glath

Postby Glath » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:27 pm

Varka wrote:1. What are you happy with, regarding the way the forums are run?

It's not flooding with spammers... Although a few leak though.
Varka wrote:2. What are you not happy with, regarding the way the forums are run?

Not enough Moderation, and there are too many false bannings.
Varka wrote:3. For the things you've mentioned, why do you think this is?

There is only one moderator. Everyone could report all the spam as soon as they see it, but that does NOT help the fact that there is only one moderator. It does not help that the fact that the moderator is not here all the time, and takes a long time to respond to reports. As far as the two cases of FALSE and UNJUST Bannings for being Underage, Case #1 could not prove that they were of age, because they lived in a rural area. Case #2, DID Submit proof, and even to the WHOLE BOARD. And he was banned.
Varka wrote:4. What ideas or suggestions do you have for improving the way the forums are run?

Assign more Moderators to the site, and assign them a board to work on, Perhaps make some way to make age verification on sign up, Rather then at random for suspicion for being underage.
Varka wrote:5. What do you think the long-term affects of these changes will be?

The Boards shall get better and if people are able to collaborate in the Ideas and Suggestions Forum to get things done, Maybe this will also have an effect on Bad Dragon as a whole, not just the Forums.
When I write in normal text Glath is talking.
When I write in light blue text David is talking.

Disclaimer: The whole separate personalities thing is purely for fun, In case you didn't know that by now.
My Formspring. Cause all the cool kids are doing it.
mechawolf

Postby mechawolf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:05 pm

I second Glath on a lot of this. An extra moderator is needed to keep the trolls and spammers in check. As for the banhammer of underaged people: While I understand that some people are being unjustly accused, I know why we need to do all this. Nevertheless, for those who are unable to prove themselves because of certain conditions, they should be provided with some form of alternative, but just as strict, of course.

And one more thing, Semjay, I don't think your email account accepts emails from Gmail accounts. Find a work around for this, because thats what happened with me and ALbino.
Lieutenant Colonel M3chaw0lf of the Forum Crusaders: For the exorcism of the extreme illiterate, immature or overly-sexual... And repossession of forum threads.

New story here: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7508

NOTICE: As of December 8th, I will not be as active on the forums due to the holidays. Apologies for and inconveniences.
AstralDescent

Postby AstralDescent » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:00 pm

mechawolf wrote:And one more thing, Semjay, I don't think your email account accepts emails from Gmail accounts. Find a work around for this, because thats what happened with me and ALbino.

I've spoken with her on a gmail account before. Just saying. There could have been another reason he was banned.

I am happy about the overall openness of the forums and loose feel. People aren't scared to say what they want.

Because there is so much freedom it gets abused a lot. Spammers and trolls also go unchecked for way too long and reporting stuff does nothing. I've had an exchange with sema about a troll and she said "Maybe if she had made a whole thread, I would've noticed" to which I could only say "...But she did make a whole thread. More than one actually." when I was alerting her of a problem.

I think Sema honestly does not have the time to moderate a forum on her own.

4. What ideas or suggestions do you have for improving the way the forums are run?
More mods, active mods. NOT PEOPLE FROM THE SITE or it'd end up being one big clique like before. The rules and all the threads that were maintained by previous staff need to be remade and updated. It would be nice if BD had enough staff to keep up with these things.
SOMETHING needs to be done about the RP forum. I don't know what can be done, but its out of control and basically a big slobbery fuckfest, not good for BDs image if you ask me.

I think the forum would have less spam and trolls and underage users would be handled faster and more efficiently. If those threads were maintained I think it'd make the forums much more organized and professional looking.
mechawolf

Postby mechawolf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:17 pm

Then why is it that when I sent my photo's in, she never got them?
Lieutenant Colonel M3chaw0lf of the Forum Crusaders: For the exorcism of the extreme illiterate, immature or overly-sexual... And repossession of forum threads.

NOTICE: As of December 8th, I will not be as active on the forums due to the holidays. Apologies for and inconveniences.
Rithskxrr

Postby Rithskxrr » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:24 pm

Primarily the fact that when action is taken to removing minors, it's done thoroughly.
Secondly: When action is taken to remove content, there isn't a fuss made about it: posts or threads are removed without recognising the antagonist''s desire for attention.

I don't like the fact that there is no publicly viewed strict penalty system for unjustified antagonism, and I further don't like the fact that repeat offenders are still permitted access to the forums.

Beyond that: everything seems pretty hunky-dory.

I'm going to assume that you're understaffed and that your current team all have lives beyond Bad Dragon.

I partly believe that it's because no one has really taken the time to go over the current forum regulations and made amendments to reflect the social integrity of the forums and how that social integrity can further reflect on future sales (i.e: Posting a review with images to receive a discount on the next purchase may not come about if the business forums do not control post content not containing civilized-yet-loose content).

I'd like to start off by saying that I believe people are a bit too frivolous when it comes to denoting what is and what is not spam. A perfect example is the contention surrounding posts containing similar (or reflective of the already present) content in another, older thread. The easiest solution for this would be an accessible note informing people to use the search function, which would further offer an alternative way in cutting down on multiple posts while cutting down on workload involved with moderating these forums. I would also have people get involved instead of blowing a gasket by responding without forethought.

Additionally: Moderators should not be construed as babysitters. For a website that sells toys for adults, and provides a forum for adults, it's obvious that the forums should be used by adults and not by people over the age of 21 acting with the mentality of a grumpy child. I don't like it when there isn't a reliable and swift penalty system for the unprovoked antagonistic attack on people (be it user or moderator). Therefore I'd like to see a "Three Strike" policy made public that allows people to see the consequences of acting aggressively or hurtfully antagonising/degrading through derogatory implication.

With the latter paragraph: More options when reporting a post would be handy. (For example: I don't see an option specifying harassment.) Having more directly associative context with report submissions will make things easier, and more efficient, for both general user and moderator.

Voluntary moderation:
I've seen communities work well when using moderators that are regular posters from within the community, but I've also seen the dingy dark sides too (especially if voluntary mods don't get along well, or when a mod is going through a stressful time).
My suggestion is to consider the possibilities of either taking in volunteers from outside of the community, or if you would rather try voluntary moderations from within the community: that you do so by making a private group so that regular posters do not get ousted, favoured or hated. Alternatively you could also make a requirement that aliases be used so as to differenciate between a moderator's "indoor voice" and their "outdoor voice".

Forum Rewards:
This relates to receiving a discount on the next purchase requiring a review and images, and is likely you'll have to either hard code it in or import a preconceived mod into the forum database.

Akin to the "Kudos!" or "Props!" system of Steam, PSN or XBox forums: I would like to see helpful posts rewarded with points going towards a discount on the next purchase as a side option to posting a written review with images. And to make it financially viable: Have the reward available on a once-per-purchase scale.
These "Kudos!" or "Props!" points are visible in a person's public profile information, and can be reset by an administrator or super moderator.

As an example: If for every 100 helpful posts a person offers, they receive a $5 or $10 discount towards their next purchase.And to redeem the discount, they follow the same route as when applying for a discount after posting a review.

Removal Of Post Count:
Post count seems to be a matter of contention among forum goers for the way people look at post count as being a trophy or sign of personal recognition. Such interpretations can be unhealthy for the individual as well as the entire forum, as it can breed unnecessary and trivial drama.
There are also other, more intuitive, methods of determining a person's forum activities. Such an intuitive method is looking through a person's recent post history to get a solid idea of where they post and what the post.

Re: Roleplay Forum:
There are currently no guidelines for the Roleplay forum, which is no wonder why it became so out of hand. If you implement guidelines, and people adhere to them, refer new users to them and stick by them (even if enforcement is needed), it'll be a much less congested and fractured environment to post in. Even if this means stipulating that the more erotic roleplay be taken to IM, leaving the lighter side of roleplay left to those who don't wish to partake in more "risque activities".

Having a stricter policy in handling antagonism and removing the unbridled threat of moderators being openly mocked would make the forum community that much more appealing and welcoming, while cutting back on having to deal with people being uppity over personal vendettas or their desire for attention.

Voluntary moderators is a coin toss: You would need to really think about the people you hire in (what they have posted on the forums, how they handle themselves and take into account past and present attitude); whereas having an outside volunteer would allow you someone fresh to work with and mold. Either way: you're going to need a guideline to steer them in the right direction.

As for the forum rewards: Positive and helpful posts + Discount reward = Happier community and more sales. It's a win-win.

Removing post count, an arbitrary and useless number, will remove one more item that breeds drama.

Guidelines for the Roleplay forum = Structured Roleplay (which is a good thing!).
Last edited by Rithskxrr on Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This space for rent.

A cost of only 6 Alberts payable every third Shpronkle.
No Gloopynuds permitted.

Inquire within, ask for Bananas.
AstralDescent

Postby AstralDescent » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:34 pm

mechawolf wrote:Then why is it that when I sent my photo's in, she never got them?

I'm not her keeper. I don't know. All I am saying is I've talked to her from a gmail address before.
mechawolf

Postby mechawolf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:35 pm

AstralDescent wrote:
mechawolf wrote:Then why is it that when I sent my photo's in, she never got them?

I'm not her keeper. I don't know. All I am saying is I've talked to her from a gmail address before.

Well then we shall let that question be directed to her, then.

Raknar

Postby Raknar » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:43 am

I'd like to see more recognition for the regular users who do a lot of basic support for customers and potential customers (mostly in the help sub-forum, funnily enough.) It seems to me to be a core group of users who are often answering questions by people who just want a bit more information before ordering.

creating a new user group so that these core users can be recognized for their work, and general knowledge could be a potential useful step. could even go as far as giving them limited mod powers. also gives the potential to create a sub-forum that only the core users can edit, allowing a more formal knowledge base to be built up, where new users can find the answers to previously answered questions more easily.

I do agree that the forum is in need of more moderators, but I don't think it needs more high level moderators (people capable of banning and deleting threads.) i think it needs more mid to low level mods, people who can put a hold on a users posting capability (until such time as they can be reviewed by a second, or higher level mod), people who can lock or hide threads, but not straight up delete them.

This helps create a system of checks and balances so that mods don't have to try and stay completely neutral (because by themselves they can't take any action that can't be undone), because ultimately, mods who are active in the community, in my opinion, do some of the best work, but it's too hard to be active, and stay perfectly neutral.
Raknar- 23yr old Male Panther (Melanistic Leopard)

Skype me? Dracoraknar
or private message me, I only bite for fun

I survived the forum outage of 2013!

Owned:
Anthro Dragoness
Small Seadragon
Medium Werewolf
Silvermane

Postby Silvermane » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:14 am

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

I have come to this thread today to express my concern with the moderation practices.

Over the past few weeks, I have reported quite a few threads that I feel needed to be:
A: Merged
or
B: Moved to the proper section

I have also noticed a type of thread becoming more..... frequently created.: Relationship advice
While I have no problem with these relationship threads. I feel they have become common enough to warrant their own section in the forums.

I also feel that moderators of a forum should be more active in the forum. This is to keep said moderator more up to date on personal opinions. of things to nullify a potential problem before they start as well as find out how people feel about the way things are run, rather than turning a blind eye like so many forums I have seen in the past. They no longer exist due to mods becoming jaded and complacent.

Without members, there is no forum community.
I already know of a few that have left because they did not like what was going on. Their names will not be released to protect them from harassment

This is a very condensed post containing my thoughts and feelings regarding changes that need to be made for the survival of the Bad Dragon forums

Sincerely,
Andrew T (A.K.A. Silvermane)
Runa

Postby Runa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:50 pm

You know, I can tell a lot of people think I hate Semjay and am just antagonizing her, but I need to make it clear that I don't hate her. In fact, as a person she's pretty easy to get along with...the problem I have is that she clearly doesn't care much for the forums outside of professional obligation, and it shows. She is never around, she never posts, she has almost no presense on here at all....other than to close down threads commenting on her not being around.

I've brought this up to Varka on more than one occasion, and even he has expressed concern that she's really not showing the enthusiasm she should, and usually the few days afer I bring this up, her posting increases for a slight period of time. Again, once I brought this up to Varka, it was clear that she was only posting when she had to. While some people like this kind of completely neutral, completely 'professional' attitude, I can tell the forum's spirit is almost entirely gone.

Yeah, it seemed to be that my overly brash, opinionated, argumentative moderation style was taken as hostile and more than a few VERY vocal forum members had no problems saying how much they didn't like that, at least then the forums had life! right now a LARGE percentage of forum traffic is in the offtopic and sharing experiences forums, there'slittle reason to discuss things in the other forums anymore. The Ideas and Suggestions forum is barren, whereas I used to pitch in and give suggestions and kept the place lively. have ANY good designs been proposed since I left? Not that I can see.

Same with the Help forum, just a whole lot of advice and info that I originated being regurgitated over and over again.

Anyway, the fact of the matter is that all evidence points towards Semjay just not giving a shit. sure, she's polite and obedient, but she's absent, slow, and has no real presencce unless threatened into it. Hell, I did some number crunching and in one day I posted more than she did IN TWO MONTHS.

what BD needs is to get semjay off the forums as a mod, hire some of the local forumgoers to browse the forums and keep things in shape, and give everyone some fun stuff to do! what you need is someone with my amount of passion and enthusiasm without the argumentative, combatative aspects. I could EASILY do that, but I Refuse to not be myself just for corporate imaging (hell, that had to be one of the prime reasons I Was let go from BD in the first place, stubbournness and not doing what I was told)

So yeah, I'm sure there are SOME people on the forums who would love to keep things taken care of. lots of people complaining about a lack of moderation should be more than willing to step up and fix the errors they complain about.

I'd still do it, I come around frequently and still see a lot of threads that need moving or people that need warnings. But again, lots of people feel that mods should be neutral, which I'm not, so meh, whatever.
SND

Postby SND » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:38 pm

I like that the forums have a varying degree of opinions from users that are familiar to it's products, to the new user that comes into the BD family by asking questions answered by the community. It would seem that the community answers questions where BD can't or is unable to answer them. I find that sort of community refreshingly different from other communities of the same niche market.

I'm not happy with the level of frustration and obligation the community feels is required for BD to return to it. These forums were created as a way for the community to talk about BD products but it seems that too many people are focusing on specific people and the practices of what's going on in the forums, rather than the BD products. Topics are being created that have nothing to do with the BD community in any capacity, especially the off-topic discussion area. There are more topics and posts created/responded to than any other area of the BD site. While I understand the need for a community to discuss products not-related to it's brand, there are other areas that could be used to achieve this outside of the BD environment (Facebook, Twitter, IM programs or a fan-created forum area that could monitor itself).

As a side-note, I dis-like the manner in which a lot of people post. Users that quote an entire post, some which have several paragraphs or thoughts, then leaving a sentence that says "I agree with this" is not only wasteful of topic/space it makes it harder to find the information that someone else could be looking for. If it were possible, actions like this would be better benefitted from a Facebook style 'like' button; I have no idea if something like this could be implemented on the site, I strongly feel that this should be a direction BD moves forward in the future.

I think that while the community is great at being helpful to everyone in the forums, it seems like a lot of them are expecting something of greater value than BD is willing or capable to provide in return for this help.

It's fairly obvious from other posters' comments that more moderators are needed if BD wants to maintain a level of moderation that will make the community happy. I can't help but feel if there were less topics in the forums that have nothing to do with BD or BD products, most if not all the need for extra moderators wouldn't be an issue.

I also think that if there were more people from the staff listed online in official BD sections, the customer service and moderation issues BD is currently facing, could subside. Then again, I can't say with 100% acuity that having the entire BD staff on the IRC channel during it's business hours would help or hurt it.

I think that any change implemented will require a six-month rollout period for any changes made to the current BD practices, take any serious or considerable effect on moderation, customer support or change in community outlook.

I also think that if there are more moderators hired, they be hired from within the community with a clause that requires them to stay connected with each other (through the use of IM's and VOiP software) so that communication doesn't break down while rules are being enforced. On this note I've heard of these alleged 'cliques' that BD has in it's employ and that sort of behavior is wrong and extremely unprofessional in any business setting. If you have someone doing their job to work and make your company better regardless of position or title; you should treat them with respect and tolerance even if you disagree with them, not lambast them or criticize them and how they perform their job. That's what job-revues are for. Of which I believe everyone in the company should have to undergo.

If BD decides that hiring people within the community isn't something it wants to do, then I would suggest hiring an independent firm to moderate the forums.

---

Operating and maintaining a small business is hard. It takes a lot of time and energy on behalf of the Owner to make sure they're doing everything they can to keep overhead low and return a profit. Here's the real hard part to running a business though, in order to really make it work, you have to be willing to give up you're life in order to see it succeed.

I have a massive interest in seeing how this whole thing unfolds myself.
~ insert witty comment ______.

Because I said so.
Kranix

Postby Kranix » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:48 pm

I'm just gonna touch-and-go on a few comments already posted.

This may be personal option but I do believe a couple recent design ideas have gained support from the masses. Right now the un-cut draconic has a pretty nice sized fan base. The problem is that so many good and supported ideas are already out there with no word of what BD plans to do with it. Take the cocktrice for example. Countless members has expressed their love for that design since I've been here. From what I saw, that and 3 other designs seemed to be 100% done on the concept side. When the mail survey came out none of those ideas were even options. Granted all the proposed ideas on the survey were good, but after doing my homework I noticed that most of the creators and supporters were no longer visitors of the forum.

I know I've come off as a bit of an ass about the RP and age issue but I'm still holding on ground on it. When it comes down to it these forums are for the discussion of BD's products. If your only purpose here is to digitally fuck then you need to find another places that's actually designed and dedicated for that. I'm not calling everyone that takes parts in those things immature, but it speaks volumes when you're of age to be here yet are asked to prove it. When I first got here I remember having some worth while games to go along with the role play. Now its just pointless sporadic comments in what use to be interesting games, and a constant creation of new whatever-the-fuckfest. And the "characters"... I'm not even getting into that again. At first it wasn't bad, but in less than a month it grew to a much larger problem with no signs of being handled. Thus why I've taken to calling the "RPers" the Borg.

I'd like to see the FAQ slightly updated and posted somewhere here on the forums. I feel as if I've answered the same questions about shipping and order times way more than I should have. Yea I understand BD isn't fully to blame when the information is all here if you actually look, but it would be a huge help if it was on the forums. If it already is then slap me. Err maybe not 'cuz I might enjoy that an- GAH now I'm getting off topic.

By time I got here, Runa was already removed from staff. I went back and read what I could find but the issue was more or less swept away by time I looked into it. I don't know either of them any better than the other. What I DO know is that SemJay is being a little more than neutral. Rather than get into full detail and sound like I'm bashing her in any way(and because my mind is moving much faster than my hands at the moment) Ill sum it up as best as I can:
It doesn't look good when a mod comes and post in a few threads, but says nothing in the threads addressing customer concerns or topics pertaining said mod. I can understand the ones with childish remarks be insta-deleted but some have had legit points.

Oh and I know its not part of the forums but I'd like to talk about tickets. With some of the issues having strict time lines it would be nice to see them answered quicker. I've never had to send one in myself but just about every day over the last month I've seen people say they've waited a week+ for an answer.

I feel like I'm rambling at this point and trying to multi-task is killing my ability to form constructive statements.

Hope somewhere in there I got my feelings on the subject across.
-BD's resident gameaholic-happily with the amazing DameKathryn -
Kith

Postby Kith » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:25 pm

Note: I do not go to the RP section of the forum, so these are just the issues I see in the other sections.

I'm glad that the forum is not run by a tyrannical, judgmental staff who love the power the banhammer brings. It allows the community the ability to breathe easy and feel comfortable expressing themselves. I like that trouble with spam, trolls, and underage members is handled without a lot of fanfare.

I also like that the BD staff actually does come here and post.

I'm not happy with the time it takes for moderator action to be taken. I know that since I've been here awhile, I'd gotten used to a mod being around almost all the time, literally, but when it takes several days for something to be dealt with, it gets people concerned.

I also think that at least some of the now-gone threads should have been handled differently. I felt a lot better when an issue ended with "this is now being resolved via PM/ticket" or some other such response, followed with a lock on the thread. When threads disappear with no comment, it seems from outside as though the mods are ignoring the contents of the thread and anyone who posted in it. This is fine for spammers, but if it is deemed that someone is making trouble, it helps to say so.

I also don't like that some of the informational threads, such as the ideas database, are not kept up to date.

It all could be because there is less moderator time spent on the forums than previously. However, it could also be because, as with any personnel change, people were giving Sema a hard time just because she wasn't Runa. This could have, over time, caused her not to want to be around much, which caused the people who were giving her the hairy eyeball to begin with more ammunition as well as cause concern in others. This is all just speculation, though, so I don't really feel this is all that helpful to BD, but you asked. (Note: This only refers to her visible presence on the forums; I know she does a lot of work)

More moderator presence would be reassuring. Seeing a colored name pop up on the list of names on the front page is a good thing; it's nice to know the people in charge are there, looking around and getting things done. It's also great when the community engages BD staff in forum conversation and there's a healthy dialogue. Whether this means one mod being on more often or more mods, I'm not sure, but I think at least one of these is necessary. Both would be ideal, since then there would be two or three people checking up on this place several times a day, and everything would get taken care of quickly.

Declaring that a thread is being locked because it foments discontent, someone was harassing someone else, etc lets everyone know what the problem was, that it was noted, and that action was taken. If necessary, a "this thread will be up until X date at which time it will be removed" can be added to the end if it's decided it needs a total removal. Then there is censure of unwelcome behavior, rumors are kept to a minimum, transparency is maintained, and the mods look more visibly active.

Also, actual public warnings for when people are starting trouble, but it hasn't gone far enough to lock/remove the thread. People need to know that there is a such thing as unacceptable behavior here.

In an ideal setting, a running FAQ for the Help section would be awesome. That way we don't have 30 people asking if BD toys can be used in harnesses or whether using big toys will make them bored with their partner's penis.

Well, since BD pays its mods, probably higher cost for the company, which could end up being reflected in the toy prices. I'm okay with that, though, if it means the following happens.

The databases would be kept up to date, which would make BD look good as a company. People like it when everything is current.

Spam would be gone fast. Nothing makes a forum look shabbier than a bunch of threads on buying crap that has nothing to do with the site, dubious links, etc.

People who are visibly making trouble would visibly warned. Threads that get out of hand would get labeled as such and locked, and only removed if necessary. This would support civil behavior as well as raising opinion on the moderators. After all, if everyone can see the attention a mod paid to a particular person or thread, then nobody can accuse the mod of ignoring or hiding things. Only the action itself and the manner in which it was done can be disputed.

There would be a pleasant mod presence, which would make BD as a company seem accessible and friendly. I know this sounds contradictory, given the above, but in a forum setting, I believe that a moderator should be able to do the job and then go to another thread that's more to their liking and hang out there. Give advice, tell stories, talk about their day, whatever. I personally enjoy a forum more when the mods are normal people who enjoy being on the forum most of the time and only put on their Official Mod Hat when they need to take care of business.
Last edited by Kith on Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I have often wondered since that day if I am the only veterinary surgeon to have used an artificial vagina as a defensive weapon" -- James Herriot, The Lord God Made Them All

Demisexual with BDSM kinks
mechawolf

Postby mechawolf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Kellods, I will be blunt and say the number of posts a person makes is no means of judging a mod, so please, try another angle.

Runa

Postby Runa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:51 pm

oh sure, now that thanks to the RP forum you now have more posts than I do....

I hate that forum so much. 90% of the useless crap on the forums is there. There's a reason I never went there unless there were reports or someone told me to.
Runa

Postby Runa » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:06 pm

well, the only reason I created that forum in the first place was forumgoer demand (taking hints from the members and taking initiative to make it happen, take some notes BD).

originally it was silly little word games and the like, but then RP took over. it was supposed to be games AND roleplay. ah well, it's a shame really.
mechawolf

Postby mechawolf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Hey, it's not the forum that's the problem, it's the people. I admit, there are people there that are...undesireable, but that is the same as everywhere else. But really, people should not limit themselves to only posting in RPs. People who only go to RP alone, I think, should be suspended until they are ready to actually contribute to the forums. Hell, as hard as I'm sure you all find it to believe, I don't limit myself to the RPs. So, for those who only seem to post in the RPs, get the hell out and be a part of all this.

EDIT: And then there are the people who take it too seriously. People, please, it's all a game, a series of posts that bat back and forth between the two. SO just let loose and have fun with it all.

What I think may be the best thing is to limit the amount of sex RP or 'fests' and let people do that to each other via PMs, while actual real RP's (Adventures, combat, zombie invasions, etc, etc.) can be used freely, as long as nobody makes a bunch of repeats.

mechawolf

Postby mechawolf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:32 pm

Yeah, that's another thing. Why the hell can't these kids wait? I mean, if they come in here for cybering, and someone finds out their kid is cybering with random people, we can get into a fuck-ton of trouble and this site could potentially be closed down. But these kids don't care, and it just upsets me. Kids, I know you're getting horny with all these BD toys, but please, just, stay away from the forum until you're 18, for the sake of everyone. You can still order toys if you have a method of payment, but stay away from the actual forum dammit!

And you know, this whole damn problem could be solved by requiring age verification before letting them post freely. but are we doing that? No, we're just letting people in and age verifying them at random. So, when you think about it, who's really to blame? Them for lying, or us for not requiring proof in the first place? I vote the later.

Edit: And just to add to it, there are some days where I don't feel like cybering my mind out. I want to actually roleplay. Problem is, most people want to cyber their minds out.
Last edited by mechawolf on Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Old News”