Toy Quality Control

Hop in the history machine, and visit where news goes when it's no longer... well, new! Here you can find past sales, old website updates, and discontinued product information.
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Toy Quality Control

Postby Varka » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:56 pm

Hello everyone,

I'm writing today to explain a quality control issue we had recently, to apologise for it, and to let you know what we've done to rectify it - as well as how we'll be preventing it from happening in future.

During the first two weeks of March, an experienced member of staff left the company, sadly taking skills essential to the role (such as how to quickly and accurately trim toys) with them. As a result, the new staff who were responsible for taking over this task had to start learning the process from scratch. With the help of some of our founding members of staff, we were able to get them on track and fully trained on how to trim toys, but not before approximately 20 toys were trimmed and shipped out with questionable trimming jobs on them.

This shouldn't have happened, and stemmed from us forgetting that the person responsible for quality control of final toys shipped out was the same person who did the trimming - and that as a result, toys were being shipped without being inspected by an experienced member of staff.

It's really unfortunate both for us and for our customers that this happened, and I want to apologise myself as well as on the behalf of my staff for the poor trimming jobs on some of these toys. In addition, I want to apologise on the behalf of management for not catching this inspection issue sooner. We're not proud of the fact we managed to fuck this up, and to everyone affected by the issue: we're sorry.

As a result, we implemented a new policy of having an experienced staff member inspect each toy before it gets bagged up and shipped, and moved the 'learning process' of how to trim toys onto flops and other non-retail toys such as sample discs.

I want to make it clear that we're improving our quality all the time - as anyone who compares an original Ridgeback or an early adolescent will tell you, we've come a long long way since those early days - and that these kinds of issues are not acceptable. As I mentioned earlier, we're making a big effort to ensure this kind of bullshit doesn't happen again - regardless of the cause.

Everyone who raised an issue with poorly trimmed toys who have raised an issue about it should have recieved a response and a resolution about the issue by now..We're sorry you had issues, and we hope that the resolution we worked out with you was acceptable.

Frequently Asked Questions:

- How many toys were affected?
- Approximately 20. (6 of these were caused by Varka... sorry guys :( )

- I think my toy has been poorly trimmed! How do I know if I'm affected?
- If your toy was shipped between the 1st and 20th of March (check your email for your tracking number), then you may be one of the people affected, and should submit a ticket. Please note that outside of these dates the trimming issue was resolved and it's unlikely that your issue will be considered as part of this 'quality control' escapade.

- I have another question not answered here!
- Post below, and I'll answer as best as I can.

Thank you everyone for reading. Again, I'm sorry this happened.

Varka
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
Phen

Re: Toy Quality Control

Postby Phen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:01 pm

glad to see that your posting this. I hope things start to get better along with the backlog you poor guys and gals have to sift through. good luck with everything!
It's been a fun ride but my time here at BD is over. So long, people.
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:05 pm

Backlog post incoming!
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
Lidra

Postby Lidra » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks for explaining things. I'll feel more comfortable ordering now that toys are getting a better looking over. Much appreciated, Varka.
This eel has sunk back into xyr hole until the tide washes clean. Will check PMs through email. Feel free to contact through other means, in the meantime.

This Tumblr is silly!
They're not average, they're DamnAverage. Handcrafted by your local BlackSheep.
Support Nil's design: Beir the Sabretooth. You know you want to unleash that big kitty.
The Resident EelKontestantBronyBorn OddDLN-070DLN-006
Valm'LadyHell-TorZiggbotJayDee
"I think these issues, morals and ethics, are a core human challenge, particularly in our modern times. It was in the ‘80s that I began to learn just how dirty many things were when looked at from behind the scenes." - Lorne Lanning
Phen

Postby Phen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:14 pm

Varka wrote:Backlog post incoming!

HUZZAH!
It's been a fun ride but my time here at BD is over. So long, people.
dharma

Postby dharma » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Thanks for this post. I feel more confident about my order now.
No longer active.
dazwolf

Postby dazwolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:18 pm

Thank you very much, Varka. I know quite a few of us newbies were getting a bit worried about our first toys, and what we were going to end up with in the mail. Having a new staff on QA had crossed my mind, but as long as it's all being dealt with hopefully we'll all be pleased.
You hit me like a subway train, and I will never be the same...

Ordered:
Nothing at the moment.

The ever growing list of haves and wants:
http://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3564&p=509267#p509267
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:22 pm

dazwolf wrote:Thank you very much, Varka. I know quite a few of us newbies were getting a bit worried about our first toys, and what we were going to end up with in the mail. Having a new staff on QA had crossed my mind, but as long as it's all being dealt with hopefully we'll all be pleased.

Yeah, I took way too fucking long on making this (and the other) posts to address concerns raised; 90% of this drama is my fault for not being available to handle this stuff as it happened. :tinfoil:

(edit: oops, hit edit instead of reply on your post Dazwolf for a second there. ><)
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

Menarae

Postby Menarae » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:29 pm

Thank you for this, Varka. I'd heard there had been some problems with suction cups on the toys, and I was starting to fret about my David and Xar, both of which I ordered with cups. Now I don't have to worry. So thank you ^.^
"The thing about inspiration is you can't wait for it to come up and lay its head in your lap like a unicorn. That is the myth of inspiration. You have to muster up and hunt it like the wild fey thing it is. It only comes at me when I am racing after it full tilt in the misty moonless darkness, praying I am not running towards the edge of or into the face of a cliff. It takes faith and courage and energy and sheer madness to catch it, and even then, it will kiss you and slip away when the mood takes it because you can never own something that wild and beautiful." -- Isobelle Carmody

Image Image Image Image

My Bad Dragon Checklist
dazwolf

Postby dazwolf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:30 pm

Varka wrote:
dazwolf wrote:Thank you very much, Varka. I know quite a few of us newbies were getting a bit worried about our first toys, and what we were going to end up with in the mail. Having a new staff on QA had crossed my mind, but as long as it's all being dealt with hopefully we'll all be pleased.

Yeah, I took way too fucking long on making this (and the other) posts to address concerns raised; 90% of this drama is my fault for not being available to handle this stuff as it happened. :tinfoil:

(edit: oops, hit edit instead of reply on your post Dazwolf for a second there. ><)

Haha, you're fine. There's only so much that we can expect out of one person. Though I can't speak for anyone else besides myself, I appreciate the effort you're putting forth to make up for it.
You hit me like a subway train, and I will never be the same...

Ordered:
Nothing at the moment.

The ever growing list of haves and wants:
http://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3564&p=509267#p509267
Dillith

Postby Dillith » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

Being a Newbie who (FINALLY) ordered five toys over the past month and then saw that bad QC thread four days later I'm still Facepalming/scared/paranoid/crappoingmypants. So glad that this was sorted out before any of them got made.

Wow. If production catches up like Vakra said, I'm gong to have more cocks than i know what to do with.
:psyduck: ... :D
FA http://www.furaffinity.net/user/dillith/ :D
Own: Small Vergil {5}
SHIPPED: Dragoness Small Anthro Dragon {5}
MQ!: Medium Duke {5} Large Ridgeback {5} Small Vergil {5} Small Naga {5}
Kitteh_n_Cream

Postby Kitteh_n_Cream » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:38 pm

Varka, thank you for posting this it's definitely eased my nervousness about purchasing from Bad Dragon while significantly increasing the respect I have for both you and your company as a whole. I understand that sometimes mistakes happen in businesses and I'm glad you caught it and implemented the new policy before anymore toys were effected. :smile:
Ambrose

Postby Ambrose » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:10 pm

It's good I just ordered my toy anyway despite all the negative stuff being said, it turns out everything is working out. Thanks for the information there, Varka.
dragonrock1

Postby dragonrock1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:54 pm

Thank you sir.. I know some people who were holding off till this was addressed. I commend you for taking responsibility for it. Best of luck with your new process.
Fyrex

Postby Fyrex » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:02 am

Are you 100% sure on that date range? My werewolf was shipped well after 20th March and has a botched base.
Softly_Flying

Postby Softly_Flying » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:42 am

Fyrex wrote:Are you 100% sure on that date range? My werewolf was shipped well after 20th March and has a botched base.

Same for my Razor and its flaws. :\

I really appreciate the honesty, though. Thank you, Varka.
Despite our efforts to cut expenses, find work, and obtain state/federal assistance, our family is in immediate danger of becoming homeless and in turn losing our child. We ask of you to help if you can by donating, buying the toys we have for sale, or buying time for a private cam session with yours truly. PM for more information!
---
Shameless pimping for the sexiest wyvern on BD: Eramos!
::Bad Dragon Wishlist:: ::Fantasy Treasures Review Blog:: ::Minecraft Server Status::
Foxfire

Postby Foxfire » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:52 am

ThisOne wrote:HOWEVER - your methods of compensation are SORELY lacking. For someone who has received a botched, and/or "flop" quality toy in any manner, 15% off next order just simply is not enough. As I mentioned before in the other thread, either contact that person BEFORE it gets shipped and offer them that toy for a "flop price" discount, or repour it. If it somehow manages to get past quality and arrive at the customers door - which is bound to happen, even if just rarely - either offer them a discount that is actually worth their time, or just replace the toy all together. For many customers, 15% wont even cover a suction cup, or shipping, let alone the actual damage of the toy received. And in certain cases such as international orders, do you honestly think 15% is going to cover anything for them? That is very much a bit of a slap in the face in my opinion.

It would likely have to be handled case by case, and the discounts/reimbursement made according to what toy, and what country the customer lives in. An all around MUCH better deal for both you as a company and the customer, would be 20% off next order. At least that would cover a custom fade, or suction cup, or maybe even shipping at the very least. For international orders, the toy should be remade entirely, or a larger discount given due to the time and extra cash they have to fork out, only to have gotten a less-than-quality-item.

I REALLY appreciate you posting this. As I said, I'm relieved to know that quality control will hopefully be better now. But you still have to do something about your rather shitty compensation methods. That's my opinion, anyways. If quality control is going to be as good as you're assuming, then giving 20% discounts, or completely remaking the very few flop toys that get through should be a TOTAL NON-ISSUE.

This, so hard. Are we still allowed to discuss on the forums problems that were never resolved? Or ones that were, I guess.
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:26 am

ThisOne wrote:HOWEVER - your methods of compensation are SORELY lacking. For someone who has received a botched, and/or "flop" quality toy in any manner, 15% off next order just simply is not enough. As I mentioned before in the other thread, either contact that person BEFORE it gets shipped and offer them that toy for a "flop price" discount, or repour it. If it somehow manages to get past quality and arrive at the customers door - which is bound to happen, even if just rarely - either offer them a discount that is actually worth their time, or just replace the toy all together. For many customers, 15% wont even cover a suction cup, or shipping, let alone the actual damage of the toy received. And in certain cases such as international orders, do you honestly think 15% is going to cover anything for them? That is very much a bit of a slap in the face in my opinion.

Discounts are considered on a case-by-case basis, and I'd like to point out that everyone who was affected by these issues accepted the offer of compensation or resolution we made for them (such as having their toy remade and shipped out again, for free) - something which they had a choice over. Without going into specific cases, it's important for me to point out that if people say they're happy with one thing but secretly aren't, then it's very hard for us as non-mind-readers to give them a level of compensation they're happy with if they don't tell us they're unhappy with it. As I mentioned before, an offer of compensation was made - but other options are available, as it's a process of negotiation, not an outright 'take it or leave it' thing.

Fyrex wrote:Are you 100% sure on that date range? My werewolf was shipped well after 20th March and has a botched base.

If you're not sure, raise a ticket with your order number and we'll take a look at the manufacture and ship dates. Again, if your toy has a botched trim, we'll work with you on it - but we're not mind readers; we can't help you if we don't have the information we need (eg, a ticket) to hand.

Foxfire wrote:Are we still allowed to discuss on the forums problems that were never resolved? Or ones that were, I guess.

If you've got a problem you feel was not resolved, we've set up a 'highest echelon' management email address - [email protected] - where you can send your inquiry or issue, and *all* of our management staff will go over it, look at all the factors and events involved, and come to a final decision. If you've got a problem that was never resolved, that's the place to send it - but only after you've tried to resolve it through tickets / emails to [email protected].
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

Foxfire

Postby Foxfire » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:37 am

Varka wrote:As I mentioned before, an offer of compensation was made - but other options are available, as it's a process of negotiation, not an outright 'take it or leave it' thing.

Mine was either send it back for remake and spend money I don't have on shipping/customs that wouldn't be refunded (so not an option), or the 15%. Don't know about others but in my case it was the only available offer.

Varka wrote:If you've got a problem you feel was not resolved, we've set up a 'highest echelon' management email address - [email protected] - where you can send your inquiry or issue, and *all* of our management staff will go over it, look at all the factors and events involved, and come to a final decision. If you've got a problem that was never resolved, that's the place to send it - but only after you've tried to resolve it through tickets / emails to [email protected].

I mean more once all that stuff is done and we've received an answer or resolution, one way or the other, be it good or bad. Are we able to still talk about our experiences then still on the forums?
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:14 am

Foxfire wrote:Mine was either send it back for remake and spend money I don't have on shipping/customs that wouldn't be refunded (so not an option), or the 15%. Don't know about others but in my case it was the only available offer.

Did you make it clear you weren't happy with the option offered when we made it to you? I know that the way Kamo writes things it can seem like the options offered are the only ones available, but again - we're not mind readers, so we can't tell if you're still unhappy with the offer, and thus can't resolve the situation, if you don't tell us.

Foxfire wrote:I mean more once all that stuff is done and we've received an answer or resolution, one way or the other, be it good or bad. Are we able to still talk about our experiences then still on the forums?

Yes, you may - but care will need to be taken to avoid it descending into a warzone as criticism threads have a tendency to devolve into. I have no interest in censoring valid, factual information - however, I do have an issue with threads going out of control and descending into shouting matches and needing to be locked and removed.

Remember - my goal here is to try and keep things under control, not under wraps. If you have a valid experience you wish to share, you are more than welcome to share it - good or bad - as long as the participants in the thread remain composed, and as long as the contents are factual. (this applies not only to you, the OP, but to all the other participants)

Have I explained this reasonably clearly? Again, the goal is to reduce drama, not snub people who have a valid, factual experience to share. Flaming Opinions have a habit of inciting responses from others, and it's this escalation which is quite often the cause of the problem - not the issue at hand itself.
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

Return to “Old News”