Gryphon Knot redesign

Have an idea for a new toy, or want more detailed feedback on your Labs design? You're in the right place! Feel free to share and discuss new ideas here.
kurama

Gryphon Knot redesign

Postby kurama » Sat May 03, 2014 6:14 pm

with my experience with the medium sized gryphon, id like to put forth the idea that,

1, the knot is located a little to close to the base of the toy,

AND OR

2, the part of the toy under the knot but above the base is slightly too thick

1, ie with the knot where it is, once you get past the knot there is not enough space for your body to close up after it
(ie effectively knotting)
the idea of the knot is the sphincter closes over the knot and locks it in place so that it can not fall out or otherwise become dislodged easily

2, ie if the space under the knot was either LONGER OR THINNER
then the design and function of the knot would be more applicable

if longer. the knot is shoved farther inside the body, thus allowing the sphincter to close more,
as it isn't being stretched partially open due to the knot putting pressure on the closest areas

AND OR
if that area was THINNER
then the same effect would occur, the sphincter would have more area of motion to make its lock

ideally i would prefer some of option A and some of option B

when i knot with my medium , if i relax, it will just plop out,
i need to actively clench and strain to hold it in hands free.

it would be nice for it to pop in
then i could have the option of taking a breather and rest while it stays locked inside,
where a small tug would dislodge it when desired
Xan

Re: Gryphon Knot redesign

Postby Xan » Sun May 04, 2014 7:05 am

I feel like this would fit better with the new Naga
Vitani

Postby Vitani » Sun May 04, 2014 9:15 am

This would fit better with A LOT of the new toys.

The trend lately is to make the area behind the knot short and thick...I guess so the toy stands up better on it's own or something.
That's why I was so impressed with the Wolf Dragon's design. Still scared that if/when it gets a full release, they'll convert it back to 'unknottable' dimensions.
Xan

Postby Xan » Sun May 04, 2014 9:35 am

Vitani wrote:The trend lately is to make the area behind the knot short and thick...I guess so the toy stands up better on it's own or something.

I actually have a few sketches for knotted dragon toy concepts that would stay in.

I could upload some, if there's any interest :3

EDIT: I posted the design here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24603
andydandy

Postby andydandy » Sun May 04, 2014 1:03 pm

Vitani wrote:This would fit better with A LOT of the new toys.

The trend lately is to make the area behind the knot short and thick...I guess so the toy stands up better on it's own or something.
That's why I was so impressed with the Wolf Dragon's design. Still scared that if/when it gets a full release, they'll convert it back to 'unknottable' dimensions.

Exactly my thought... + they reduce the size of knots so its more like just shaft, then a bit smaller area at the bottom o.O..
i wonder why they do this.. its sad, but it makes me hope there will be a new company around soon that makes toys that is knotable.. Or maybe EE will starts making more toys to, since they already have the know how!
kurama

Postby kurama » Sun May 04, 2014 1:59 pm

all we as customers have to do is make this thread popular enough to catch the eyes of the staff,
they make what we want
nylla&vren

Postby nylla&vren » Tue May 06, 2014 7:28 pm

I love the gryphon's knot, but I don't to see it go more knotty.

Maybe ask for a "more knotted gryphon" toy? Like a 2.0 of it. :P

Honestly, if anything, I'd like to see it get a shorter shaft on the small while keeping the current double knot. Dem lumps are just awesome but it's hard to fit that length. (Yeah I'm that tiny inside.)
Slimshod

Postby Slimshod » Sat May 10, 2014 11:30 pm

I could see the need for more space between the knot and the base but other than that I'm fairly happy with mine.
Foxdon

Postby Foxdon » Sat May 31, 2014 2:26 pm

Hello, personally I would like to see the gryphon have a size option somewhere between the large and extra-large as I think the jump in girth is a little to much, the XL is way to much for me but the large seems like it wouldn't be enough of a challenge from what I read on the dimensions, I would really like to have a hard time trying to knot him but actually be able to manage it, currently totally unable to knot the XL

The bottom part of the knot just expands as I push down and ends up to thick to go anywhere, I'm also think maybe the shaft could be shorter making him more of a knotty toy :-3
Cammii

Postby Cammii » Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:50 am

Vitani wrote:This would fit better with A LOT of the new toys.

Having been around here forever and seeing tons of new toys and redesigns, many of the originals before their makeover, like vergil, the gryphon, seadragon, ect used to have a skinner neck so you could tie better.

However, the main issue with this was sometimes the toy wouldn't stand on its own, or the neck would act as the bending point and make inserting or riding toys troublesome (especially in softer firmness or heavier toys). So that is why many of the toys are getting beefier 'necks' to better support the weight.
Jaaska

Postby Jaaska » Mon Jun 09, 2014 3:46 am

Cammii wrote:Having been around here forever and seeing tons of new toys and redesigns, many of the originals before their makeover, like vergil, the gryphon, seadragon, ect used to have a skinner neck so you could tie better.

However, the main issue with this was sometimes the toy wouldn't stand on its own, or the neck would act as the bending point and make inserting or riding toys troublesome (especially in softer firmness or heavier toys). So that is why many of the toys are getting beefier 'necks' to better support the weight.

The Legacy Gryphon didn't have any trouble standing on its own, did it ? Image
Audax

Postby Audax » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:00 pm

Jaaska wrote:
Cammii wrote:Having been around here forever and seeing tons of new toys and redesigns, many of the originals before their makeover, like vergil, the gryphon, seadragon, ect used to have a skinner neck so you could tie better.

I'm not sure what Legacy Gryphon you're asking about, but the only one I'm familiar with tipped over all the time, no matter what firmness it was in.

And so did the Seadragon, and so did Vergil (except in Firm sometimes if you were lucky)...
andydandy

Postby andydandy » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:42 am

Audax wrote:
Jaaska wrote:

I'm not sure what Legacy Gryphon you're asking about, but the only one I'm familiar with tipped over all the time, no matter what firmness it was in.

And so did the Seadragon, and so did Vergil (except in Firm sometimes if you were lucky)...

i dont care if they stand on their own.. since im going to stuff it up my ass, how it does that mathers more ;P
Jaaska

Postby Jaaska » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:23 am

Audax wrote:I'm not sure what Legacy Gryphon you're asking about, but the only one I'm familiar with tipped over all the time, no matter what firmness it was in.

Thanks for the knowledge !

andydandy wrote:i dont care if they stand on their own.. since im going to stuff it up my ass, how it does that mathers more ;P

It's not only that. Just imagine you're riding your toy, and its neck keeps squishing down so that the knot won't pop in.

That's enough worries to redesign a toy, isn't it ? :stick:
Bad_Dragoness

Postby Bad_Dragoness » Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:30 pm

Also, for the record, the Breeder, the Naga, and the Xenogon were redesigned with thicker bases, although the Xenogon already had a fairly thick neck from what I know.

Jaaska wrote:
Audax wrote:I'm not sure what Legacy Gryphon you're asking about, but https://web.archive.org/web/20101125093944/http://www.bad-dragon.com/cart.php?target=product&product_id=276&category_id=66 the only one I'm familiar with tipped over all the time[/url], no matter what firmness it was in.

Thanks for the knowledge !

andydandy wrote:i dont care if they stand on their own.. since im going to stuff it up my ass, how it does that mathers more ;P

It's not only that. Just imagine you're riding your toy, and its neck keeps squishing down so that the knot won't pop in.

That's enough worries to redesign a toy, isn't it ? :stick:

I can't talk that much about the large toys, but I've never had a problem with my Seadragon tipping over or with the neck squishing down, and a friend of mine has the medium and never once mentioned it tipping over, and she said she never really had any problems knotting it. If this is a problem exclusively with the bigger toys I don't really understand why the proportions couldn't be modified for larger sizes. And I know I've seen complaints about larger toys having too long of a shaft.

Does anyone know if there are any real limitations on toys coming in mini through extra large, with minor adjustments to the proportions throughout to prevent the neck squishing or the toy tipping in larger sizes, while still keeping the thinner neck on the smaller ones to make them easier to tie? For that matter, based on another thread I started, could toys potentially come in a "long" option where the proportions of the shaft on the medium or small are adjusted to provide a longer shaft? That seems like it would provide the widest range of options and please pretty much everyone.

This may be a non-sequitur, but since the toys are referred to as 3D printed, would it be possible to provide a system where certain aspects of the toy could be adjusted to suit individual tastes? I mean being able to provide sliding scales on the site to adjust knot size, shaft length, neck width, things along those lines within certain constraints... I assume this could create some problems with describing flops for sale and it seems like the casts are actually what's 3D printed based on the look of frankenpour toys, but I'm not really sure how the process of making Bad Dragon toys works.

Return to “Toys: Ideas and Suggestions”