Toy Designing Tutorial! (3D – Sculptris)

Have an idea for a new toy, or want more detailed feedback on your Labs design? You're in the right place! Feel free to share and discuss new ideas here.
Chibity

Toy Designing Tutorial! (3D – Sculptris)

Postby Chibity » Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:44 am

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

So, say you’ve got all these fantastic ideas in your head and you’d love to flesh them out, but you’re too nervous about the complexities of most 3D modeling programs and want something much more intuitive and easy to work with. Look no further, because Sculptris is just for you! If you know how to take a piece of clay in your actual hands and mold it around into different shapes, then you’re already halfway prepared to use Sculptris. It’s just that easy. The other half is making sure that your computer is strong enough to handle the program, so here’s what you’ll be looking for:

Windows

Operating System: Windows XP SP2/Vista/Seven.
Processor: 1Ghz Pentium 4 and above (or compatible).
Memory: 1 GB of RAM.
Graphic Card: ATI or NVidia card with openGL 2.0 support.
Screen Resolution: 1024x768
Recommended: Wacom or compatible graphics tablet

Mac OSX

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5/10.6.
Processor: 2Ghz core 2 duo and above (or compatible).
Memory: 1 GB of RAM.
Graphic Card: ATI or NVidia card with openGL 2.0 support.
Screen Resolution: 1024x768
Recommended: Wacom or compatible graphics tablet

Not too bad, right? And the better your graphics card is, the further you’ll be able to go with a more complicated model. Typically, you shouldn’t be having any slowdowns, and if you do, it’s more than likely because you’ve let your model get far more complicated than your computer can handle. Don’t worry, there’s ways of fixing that, and we’ll get to it throughout the tutorial.

So, you’ve opened up the program and you’ll see that the program starts you off with a little sphere. Let’s start with how we can navigate ourselves around our model:

Camera Controls:

Mouse wheel – Zooms in and out
Click and dragging on the background – Rotates the model around
Z – Snaps the camera to the closest precise angle, such as front/right/left/back.
Holding Alt + Click-dragging on the background – Moves the model without rotation

Those four controls are the primary ways that you’re going to get around your model, so get a good feel for them, ‘cause you’ll be using them a lot! Now we’re going to explain what each of the tools buttons in the top left corner can do for you. As practice, we’re going to use this super basic phallic shape that I made, and also offer to you to use if you so wish. You can download it here, and opened with CTRL + O (Open).

https://www.mediafire.com/?k0746y5i1l7cz3s

So, let's take a look at our displays and what they can do for us.

The most important things to know are Size, Strength, and Invert. Obviously, size will increase or decrease the amount of area you wish to affect, and strength will determine how effective the tool is. Invert will be used with the tools you select, as it can allow you to do the opposite of the tool's original intention. Such as letting the 'inflate' tool become a 'deflating' tool. So click that on and off as you need it.

Here's the tools themselves, and I'm not going to go in perfect order because some are a bit more handy than others in the beginning. Namely the grab tool.

GRAB

The "Grab" tool can be used to move around the model and warp it in either a very wide range, or as tiny little pulls. You can pull out spikes, make drippy areas, and even extend or squish the entire design itself. This is one of the first tools you should use, so you can get the most basic shape of your toy down.

CREASE

"Crease" can be used to ingrave sharp lines into your toy that pinches inwards if you use it normally (see the head), or outwards (see the base) if you invert it.

DRAW

"Draw" is a basic tool for... well, drawing upon your design! The area it effects tends to be round and bubbly, and isn't quite for refined drawing, but for expanding and adding areas upon your design. The opposite, invert, will allow you to draw lines into the toy, though they're much more like removed chunks than a creased line like above.

INFLATE

"Inflate" is your knot-maker, hehh. It will puff out the area of the toy that you select it on, and the invert of it will squeeze the toy inwards, deflating it.

FLATTEN

"Flatten" is super great for smoothing out the base of your toy and making it nice and flat. Use a nice big area for it and a medium strength, and then click a few times on the bottom of the base (while checking the upright version of it occasionally) to nicely smooth it out.

PINCH

"Pinch" can be used to add definiton to areas that you want to be nice, precise, and sharp. It'll suck in the effected areas of the design into a nice, pinched line. The opposite of a pinch has a similar effect to the inflation tool, but not quite as spherical.

SMOOTH

"Smooth" is really important for making sure your design is nice and polished, as it can smooth out any imperfections you might make, or soften lines that you feel are a little too harsh. It's really good for making repairs.

ROTATE

That's all for the most important tools, but there are a few more that can help you work on your model a bit easier. The first one is Rotate, which can be used to turn the entire model itself and re-orient it, but make sure you have the 'Global' button pressed, it's under your size/strength bars.

SCALE

"Scale" can be used to skew and warp your design, for whatever reason you might want to do that. It could be good for correcting an already warped design, if you feel like it needs to be pulled back into a more natural shape.

MASK

"Mask" allows you to paint on a darker grey selected area on your design, and then any changes you make to the design at that point will not effect the area you selected. For instance, I put a mask selection on the base of the demo, and then tried to grab and pull the toy away from it. The selected base stays exactly where it was.

REDUCE

Remember when I said that you can make your model a little less taxing on your computer? If you use the "Reduce" tool, it will bring up the wireframe of the design and you can see how complicated the polygons in your design are. If you feel like your computer can't handle your design at a certain point, then try using the Reduce tool to remove excess polygons that you do not need. It will simplify your toy, but if it's necessary, then there's a way to do it!

-----------

With that, I hope this tutorial has been of help to you. Feel free to ask any questions you might have about the program, and any other recommendations/methods for doing things that I may have. I certainly didn't cover everything, just the bare basics. If necessary, I can provide more examples and create a more complicated demo model, but for now, I hope this will suffice! Thanks for reading, and happy dick-making. o/
ImageImage Image
Designer of Kage the Anomaly -- Forum / Labs -- Ͼ Art Tumblr Ͽ
goldlion

Re: Toy Designing Tutorial! (3D – Sculptris)

Postby goldlion » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:01 pm

wow chibity, deserves a sticky and a gold star lol

I used sculptris just once and it took me forever to try and understand it (was just wingin it without instruction)

this will def make it much easier to get a hold on it :3

thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image Image
toy list in the spoiler -
► Show Spoiler
anti-firm(8) 2015™
mated to a beautiful kitty boy <3
Vexon

Postby Vexon » Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:06 pm

Looks like someone's been busy. Glad to see you made this information as readily available as you did for everyone. Here's hoping to see a few new toned designs in the labs after this, or maybe even some new ones. :mystery:
~VexonImage
Madly in with my Chibity Image
Check out her toy design: Kage the Anomaly Forums / Labs
Vallus

Postby Vallus » Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:25 pm

This is looking pretty good so far.
I'll throw in some of my knowledge of the program as well.

First off the Detail slider found at the top affects the amount of polygons that will be applied while building your model. I typically have mine at around 85%, but if you're running a lower end computer it might be worth considering keeping it at a lower point for the main model, then tweaking it for the actual detailed bits later.

DRAW

The draw tool comes with two main options Clay on and Clay off(found under size/strength sliders). The version without clay is for more rounded lines and bumps, and is useful at low strengths for adding a bit of roundness to an otherwise flat texture. The clay option is made for putting multiple layers of lines or bumps on top of each other. Its probably the most useful tool for getting a specific shape to your design, and is used best in conjunction with the Smooth tool.

The main difference between the two modes is that the normal(non-Clay) Draw function is not meant for creating layers, so if you need to combine two ridges or bumps that are next to each other, its best to fill in the space with Clay. For this reason, the Clay function is also very good for making ridges, by drawing a line for the first ridge, and then overlapping on side of the line for the next ridge(you might need to run the tool over top several times per each ridge depending on the Strength setting).

Alright, this next part gets a bit more technical

Mask
Its worth noting that the dark grey part Chibity refers to is the invert of the Mask tool, as opposed to the normal setting.
The Mask tool allows you to highlight certain parts of your object, so that any other tools you're working with will only affect the selected area. This is useful if you ever end up affecting the parts of the model you're working with, as well as other parts that you don't want to be affected. Such as if you want to inflate something equally but have details near it you'd rather have left alone.

A very important command for this is to hold Ctrl, then left click off your sculpt. This will invert the highlight for the entire model, essentially making everything inactive. You can then use the Mask tool to highlight what you need and then change it from there. After you're done, you'll want to make the entire sculpt active again. This is done easiest by inverting the highlight of the model again, then highlighting the inactive area with the Mask tool.

Scale

The Scale tool essentially scales up and down the entire selected area of the model

The main use, is to change the scale of a specific part of your build. For example, if you've made a knot, and then detailed it with some nice textures, but decide you want it exactly the way it is shaped, but you want it a bit smaller, or larger.

How do do this? First, get the Mask tool, and make sure only the area you want to affect (such as the knot) is selected. after that, it is a simple matter of scaling it up or down with the Global function to the desired size, re-highlighting the sculpt, and working from there.

Reduce
I'd just like to add that the Reduce tool is one of the most useful when it comes to erasing details. All you really have to do is use the Reduce tool on a bump/barb/what have you, and then smooth it out with the Smooth tool(preferably done after turning the Wireframe back off so its easier to work with.)

Also, the Grab tool tends to use existing polygons more than the other tools, so if you are finding the ends of an area you are pulling out to be really blocky and low-poly, you can invert the Reduce tool and add more polygons to the area before using the Grab tool(you may have to stop and repeat the process a few times if you are pulling out a particularly long/thin area)

That's pretty much all I can think of at the moment without being too specific. Sorry if my modeling babble isn't as clear as it could be, I got a bit carried away maybe. If you feel any part really need pictures with it, I can probably add some.

As a parting advice, I highly recommend using the Crease tool followed by the Pinch tool for really toning out the details of the model. This ramps up the polygon count quite a bit, so use at your own caution.

Also some bonus tips. Careful when using the Crease and Pinch tools near the point of Symmetry. Sculptris tends to crash more frequently when you do so, so try to save first before doing this, lest you'll lose the last minute or two of work when you start up again.

Lastly, Sculptris has a pretty low memory for undoing your mistakes(about 11 maximum). So if you are making a fairly large change in texture or detail you aren't sure about, save first and then do it.

Alright, that's all I think I want to say at this time. hopefully this helps. :smile:
Image Check out my weekly toy design thread The Vallus Creation Compilation.
This week's creation - The Two in One Cock-Tail Special
ReliCute

Postby ReliCute » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:38 pm

I HAD NO IDEA ABOUT THE ALT + CLICK N DRAG
I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO MOVE MY MODELS
; A ; You are a life saver oh my gods
*bookmarks this whole thread because WOW you guys are amazing*

Thank you thank you thank you thank you soooo much!! And to anyone else who gives input and advice ; u ; This will make things so much easier!!
21. Female. Pansexual (heavy preference for women). Open-Poly (two AMAZING partners <3)
Roleplay lover. Artist. Leather worker. Creator of Poseidon and Abyssal King over at TnP <3

Check out my toy Dick Design Blog!, feel free to make a suggestion!
AlphaBlue

Postby AlphaBlue » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:59 pm

Thanks for the guide, it's very helpful! :D
"Now these are the laws of the jungle, and many and mighty are they;
But the head and the hoof of the law and the haunch and the hump is—Obey!"

- Rudyard Kipling, The Law of the Jungle
Image Image Image Image Image
-Icons & Avatar by Chibity-
Audax

Postby Audax » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Post stickied for incredible justice! Err, helpfulness.
ImageImageSrs. Biznis icon by LucaRyu! Tiny Biznis and Shark Flavor by Chibity! OM NOM NOM ImageImage
wingless

Postby wingless » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11 pm

This. Is. Awesome!

Thank you so much!
I fall, wingless,
into the dark...
Rainbow Dasher

Postby Rainbow Dasher » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Very thorough guide!

Now, if only I had the patience to use something like that. :tinfoil:
Pansexual|Married|Writer|Artist|Foodie|Pegasister|Spiritual|Crafter|Blogger|Adrenaline Junkie|Furry| Owns a lot of fucking dicks.
lonewolf8

Postby lonewolf8 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:59 pm

Pity doesnt run on Linux.
Even running via Wine, causes a crash :(
Collection: Large Firm Nox, Aneros Helix Syn
Dreaming Heart

Postby Dreaming Heart » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:27 pm

This is what happens when I get a hold of things like this

[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

...On a more serious note, awesome tutorial! =D Really helpful, thanks for posting this!
Ann ✩ 23 ✩ Demisexual Lesbian
Amaranthe

Postby Amaranthe » Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:17 am

This guide is amazing, so thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge!! I still have a question, though. How on earth do you zoom in and out from your model while on a laptop and not using an external mouse?
Faffy the FauxFox

Postby Faffy the FauxFox » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:54 am

i now have a computer than can run it without giving up like a brat child.
__________________________________________________________________________________
underwear is a hug for your butt
Chibity

Postby Chibity » Tue Sep 08, 2015 9:01 am

Amaranthe wrote:This guide is amazing, so thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge!! I still have a question, though. How on earth do you zoom in and out from your model while on a laptop and not using an external mouse?

Have you tried Fn plus - and Fn plus +?
ImageImage Image
Designer of Kage the Anomaly -- Forum / Labs -- Ͼ Art Tumblr Ͽ
Amaranthe

Postby Amaranthe » Tue Sep 08, 2015 2:25 pm

Chibity wrote:
Amaranthe wrote:This guide is amazing, so thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge!! I still have a question, though. How on earth do you zoom in and out from your model while on a laptop and not using an external mouse?

Have you tried Fn plus - and Fn plus +?

I tried it several times, but it never did anything. :| I actually just went and bought and external mouse the other day because they were on sale and I was frustrated. So problem solved, I guess? I actually like using the mouse better anyway!
AstralAc3

Postby AstralAc3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:34 pm

Looks complicated ^^;;;

Think I'll stick to pencil and paper :P
lizardz

Postby lizardz » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:31 pm

How do you create the previews which get posted here with 4 different view angles of the model?
Is that done in Sculptris or exported to another program or even just copy paste multiple screenshots?
Vallus

Postby Vallus » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:54 pm

lizardz wrote:How do you create the previews which get posted here with 4 different view angles of the model?
Is that done in Sculptris or exported to another program or even just copy paste multiple screenshots?

Can't comment on the others, but what what I do is basically the third option.

First step is to make the background different from the default(found in the options menu below the strength slider). Basically any pure flat color done in something like Paint will do(personally I use a flat grey). This is so when you combine multiple pictures from different angles, the background is consistent.

Second step is simply to rotate it into the angles you want(note: the "Z" button will make the object face the nearest side(top,bottom,left,right,front, or back)then take the screenshots(personally I use the save image function found in the options menu)
Sometimes the axis the object rotates around might not result in you getting your angles with the model at a consistent distance. I don't actually know how to reliably fix this though.

After that I just copy paste to Paint. Simple as that. (for ease of use, I have a large rectangular Paint image of my chosen background color that I put them on, then crop it to size afterwards).
Image Check out my weekly toy design thread The Vallus Creation Compilation.
This week's creation - The Two in One Cock-Tail Special
Sabre

Postby Sabre » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:45 pm

Now all I need is a 3d printer :cool:
A dragon's prayer
► Show Spoiler
lizardz

Postby lizardz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:27 am

Sabre wrote:Now all I need is a 3d printer :cool:

Just go to 3DHubs, hundreds of hobbyists desperate to print anything at material cost.
A fantasy dildo is a bit awkward though :psyduck: and anything large is too expensive just in material plus only the pro machines will handle bigger sizes. Large stuff can be better to look for a pinkfoam CNC machiner.
But if you want minis it is doable.

Return to “Toys: Ideas and Suggestions”