Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Have an idea for a new toy, or want more detailed feedback on your Labs design? You're in the right place! Feel free to share and discuss new ideas here.
User avatar
dasadevil
Moon Moon
Posts: 474
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:21 am
Gender: Male

Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby dasadevil » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm

Heyo guys,

I'm looking for some basic feedback here. Bad Dragon Labs is up for a revamp and I just want to know what it is you guys liked about it before and what you guys would like to see in the future from it, from a design / input standpoint, as well as usability and all that fun stuff.

We're open to any kind of feedback however.. IE: Voting system, any way to better organize submissions, etc.

This will be a very long and slow process and I will not be giving out too much details, but I did want to poke a thread here since this is indeed relevant to some of our more active userbase.

Thank you!~
Tempest
Posts: 1098
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:33 pm
Gender: Dude
Location: California

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Tempest » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm

How cool is this! I'm sure this thread will explode pretty soon.

Some initial thoughts:
-Is it possible to use the same login for the Labs as the main website? I used the same email and username for both, so it felt sort of redundant.
-Put winning designs in their own category and remove them from general browsing of ideas
-sort by type, maybe features? So you can view all insertables, all penetratables, insertables with or without knots, etc.
Full collection and wish list in profile!
Current faves: L/5 Flint, Boss Hogg XXL
Dick fund status: depleted
User avatar
Roverseer2
Banhammered
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Roverseer2 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 pm

- A search that works. At the moment, it can't view more than a page without glitching out, and it shows designs that haven't been approved yet.

- A full clear of current suggestions (aside from winners) so that designs that people have abandoned won't be put up against ones that have people actively supporting them. It also means anyone who doesn't keep up with BD any more but submitted a design doesn't have to worry about it being used, and the new version can have a better selection. Maybe even prune out submissions after each contest period, so if something happens and a designer can't access BD, their design won't be used without their knowledge?

- Better prizes, in my opinion. The amount of money winners get compared to how much money BD makes from the design is way, way too little, especially when the designs BD has been putting out have been a little same-y.

- Inline comments / feedback, so designs don't have to have discussion threads on the forums in order to be updated.

- A way to tell when designs have been updated.

- Subscribing to certain designers, maybe, so you can get alerts if someone you like makes something new?

- Removal of the 'Bad Dragon can use your design even if it doesn't win' rule. That's just sketchy. :unamused: If you want to use someone's work, pay them for it.

- An easier way to remove your design from Labs that isn't ticketing in. That way, people can remove a design that doesn't have a chance of winning, so the Labs don't end up clogged with low-quality stuff or spam.

- An easier way for other creators to have stolen designs removed. I know some people have submitted things that are essentially traces of other store's work, and I don't like that that plus the rule about BD owning everything submitted gives them a legal loophole to steal from other creators. If it's not a loophole they want to exploit, it should be an easy fix.

- Labs winners having categories, and a winner from each category. That way a penetrable isn't up against an insertable - having two different uses competing against each other is going to end up with some voter bias, and the design picked may not be the best.

- Some kind of restriction on what toys can be inspired by. Maybe it's all well and dandy for you guys, but I don't want to see something like a Spyro the Dragon penis, or... well, I can't think of anything else made for children that BD hasn't already used, so maybe this point is moot. :doh:

- Maybe a design can only have a chance to win three times, so there's motivation to really improve the design before the voting period, and a designer that doesn't do well has to come up with something new and better so that the stuff in Labs isn't always rehashing of the same horse and dog designs?

- This might just be my own personal complaint, but I wish it was clearer that BD Labs is not the only option, and that putting your stuff in BD Labs keeps you from ever making it on your own. BD's a big company, it doesn't have to worry about a few smaller places making one or two toys; making sure people know that there are other stores and other designing possibilities would be a very nice move on their part.

...

Overall, really just a way to keep designs in Labs rotating instead of always being the same things, and an easier way for people to withdraw their designs from Labs if they don't want them there any more. It shouldn't be things that are too hard to implement, and I'm sure it would mean a lot to creators.
User avatar
Robert Thompson
Posts: 1377
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:22 pm
Gender: Male, Not by choice
Location: Louisville, Ky
Contact:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Robert Thompson » Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:26 pm

How about no staff picks and being more transparent in how to qualify for voting rounds.

Also I loved the point brought up that designs should be easier to remove from the labs
User avatar
LJF
Posts: 304
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:46 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby LJF » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 am

Maybe add a way that designs which have a lot of downvotes get flagged to staff to consider deleting. Not only will it help get rid of very low quality entries/spam/duplicates/infringement, but it would mean that as it just flags it and not automatically deletes it, trolling down votes won’t cause good designs to become deleted... if that makes sense
User avatar
KungisGalo
Posts: 126
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 pm
Gender: Male
Location: Australia

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby KungisGalo » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 am

Airly new to the whole toy thing, but if it is the Steam Work Shop of toys then a cool filtering system would be good like the categories dildos/masturbators/wearables/accessories/merch and all that.
I think letting peole design their own BD shirts and panties and shit would be fuckin' sick.
BRICK SQUAD
tzern
Posts: 104
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:25 pm

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby tzern » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 am

dasadevil wrote:This will be a very long and slow process and I will not be giving out too much details, but I did want to poke a thread here since this is indeed relevant to some of our more active userbase.


I really don't want to be that guy, but am I the only one that finds it kinda disingenuous that right after the forums link is removed from both the main site AND search engines without any communication about what is going on (and what they might be planning for them) that they ask for feedback from those very same people :doh:
User avatar
Faffy the FauxFox
Posts: 2423
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:19 am
Gender: the unfun version of female
Location: NJ

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Faffy the FauxFox » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm

Roverseer2 wrote:- A search that works. At the moment, it can't view more than a page without glitching out, and it shows designs that haven't been approved yet.

- A full clear of current suggestions (aside from winners) so that designs that people have abandoned won't be put up against ones that have people actively supporting them. It also means anyone who doesn't keep up with BD any more but submitted a design doesn't have to worry about it being used, and the new version can have a better selection. Maybe even prune out submissions after each contest period, so if something happens and a designer can't access BD, their design won't be used without their knowledge?

- Better prizes, in my opinion. The amount of money winners get compared to how much money BD makes from the design is way, way too little, especially when the designs BD has been putting out have been a little same-y.

- Inline comments / feedback, so designs don't have to have discussion threads on the forums in order to be updated.

- A way to tell when designs have been updated.

- Subscribing to certain designers, maybe, so you can get alerts if someone you like makes something new?

- Removal of the 'Bad Dragon can use your design even if it doesn't win' rule. That's just sketchy. :unamused: If you want to use someone's work, pay them for it.

- An easier way to remove your design from Labs that isn't ticketing in. That way, people can remove a design that doesn't have a chance of winning, so the Labs don't end up clogged with low-quality stuff or spam.

- An easier way for other creators to have stolen designs removed. I know some people have submitted things that are essentially traces of other store's work, and I don't like that that plus the rule about BD owning everything submitted gives them a legal loophole to steal from other creators. If it's not a loophole they want to exploit, it should be an easy fix.

- Labs winners having categories, and a winner from each category. That way a penetrable isn't up against an insertable - having two different uses competing against each other is going to end up with some voter bias, and the design picked may not be the best.

- Some kind of restriction on what toys can be inspired by. Maybe it's all well and dandy for you guys, but I don't want to see something like a Spyro the Dragon penis, or... well, I can't think of anything else made for children that BD hasn't already used, so maybe this point is moot. :doh:

- Maybe a design can only have a chance to win three times, so there's motivation to really improve the design before the voting period, and a designer that doesn't do well has to come up with something new and better so that the stuff in Labs isn't always rehashing of the same horse and dog designs?

- This might just be my own personal complaint, but I wish it was clearer that BD Labs is not the only option, and that putting your stuff in BD Labs keeps you from ever making it on your own. BD's a big company, it doesn't have to worry about a few smaller places making one or two toys; making sure people know that there are other stores and other designing possibilities would be a very nice move on their part.

...

Overall, really just a way to keep designs in Labs rotating instead of always being the same things, and an easier way for people to withdraw their designs from Labs if they don't want them there any more. It shouldn't be things that are too hard to implement, and I'm sure it would mean a lot to creators.



but the old ones there could show someone, if they bother to look, what someone else did, so it's not a "this is in the labs already, do it different" or is it better that way? either way it ends in "this is a rip off of another submission"
__________________________________________________________________________________
underwear is a hug for your butt
User avatar
Roverseer2
Banhammered
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:36 pm

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Roverseer2 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm

Faffy the FauxFox wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote: :words:


but the old ones there could show someone, if they bother to look, what someone else did, so it's not a "this is in the labs already, do it different" or is it better that way? either way it ends in "this is a rip off of another submission"


Most of the people who submitted to Labs are probably gone, either because the forums have been dying, smaller stores have cropped up with stuff they like more, just because the Labs have been abandoned for so long, or just because it's been years and it's lost interest.

With how dead things are, and with how the forum has been scrubbed from search results and how easy it is for people to just make their own stuff, I think BD's taken too long to make the Labs useful to them anyway. At the very least, having everything in Labs right now means BD can steal any of it with no repercussions, and I have more respect for the artists who couldn't remove their work than for BD trying to profit off of it. :unamused:
User avatar
Akanisen
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 pm
Gender: Male(FtM), Pansexual, Demi-poly-romantic
Contact:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Akanisen » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 am

How about a way to ask for further information on feedback? There were several times people's feedback would be very vague or something and I had no idea what they were wanting changed.
ImageImage Image "Ignorance is bliss. But bliss is boring." ~Bill Cipher Image ImageImage
User avatar
QueenCheetah93
Posts: 250
Joined: Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:35 pm
Gender: Female

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby QueenCheetah93 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm

I agree with the catagories - Dildos, Insertables, sheaths, etc

Also putting in another vote for merch design! There's lots of talented artists out there, and you can have more frequent winners and smaller prizes that way - since I know feasibly a winning toy from the labs will only come once in a blue moon.

A transparent terms & conditions/contract. Easily linked and seen, and fair to both the company and the artist. This also goes along with an easier way to manage your designs, whether it be updating or removing.

A comments system. This may have to be moderator approved, but I like the idea of people being able to give detailed feedback on the submission itself, instead of starting threads on the forum.

Otherwise - I'm really excited to hear that the labs are coming back! I love seeing peoples creativity, and it gives people a chance to have their dream designs brought to life. :widesmile:
My Current Collection!
► Show Spoiler


Twin Tail Creations/Damn Average
-Dante the Anubite
-Krampuskitzler
User avatar
Shadow hound
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:03 am
Gender: Female

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Shadow hound » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 am

I would like a possibility to specify if a toy is intended more for anal or vaginal use. Because if you design something that's better for vaginal(short, girthy, curved, all that even if some like that but mostly no) people will complain that it's too thick, needs to be longer etc. That's most of the time(yes yes not always...) the problem with designs when people request changes to it that are better for anal when you are going for vaginal use. So maybe you could tick a box for anal, vaginal or both.

Also there was a lot of old designs by users who probably don't ever want to update their designs again so there should be a way to vote something out of the labs as well so it doesn't look so cluttered.

Also someone mentioned you have the right to use the design even if it doesn't win...which is totally cool if you also reward the person for it. But if you just grab it cause you "own it" since it's in the labs, why would anyone want to put it in the labs just so you own it but they would know they never will ever get anything from it. Use only if you reward the designer.

Oh and I think it would be best if the designs were entered without a name, only a number code like design 932849725 and NO character art. People are so easily influenced by Pokemon or whatever that it would be great if what mattered most was the design and not what it represents. That way YOU can decide what it is when/if you start to manufacture the toy.

I'm happy that you're bringing labs back. :)
My Toys:
► Show Spoiler
User avatar
Shadow_Twisted
Posts: 437
Joined: Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:17 am
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Shadow_Twisted » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 am

I had a design in labs previously, which mostly went abandoned for a few reasons, lack of interest, limited abilities with 3D modeling to really update the design, etc, but I do know that the feedback options were way too generalized.

Others had mentioned about more specific feedback, or even having written feedback comments. Due to the concern with moderating, I'm thinking a lot of the main issues for comments could be broken down into a hierarchy of drop-down options.

First level would be the main category: Size, Shape, Texture, etc

Next level would be the area of complaint, so for size let's say Too big, Too small, Too long, Too short, etc

And then you could even have a specific area of concern: Head, shaft, knot, base , etc

While it would be a bit more work initially, it would remove the need for moderation while still allowing for more specific feedback. Although there could also be an option for an Other category in which a person could write a detailed and specific critique that would be sent directly to the creator. If the creator finds that the comment is less constructive criticism and just some kind of mean-spirited rant then I could see there being a report option in which the comment would be sent for review and if found to be against ToU, the appropriate action can be taken.
Things are looking up.
User avatar
s3v3r
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:57 pm
Gender: man
Location: BF OHIO

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby s3v3r » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:38 am

I'd like to see a better looking BD labs with maybe comment sections for each submission so we could directly comment the artist and share our thoughts. Also I want to have some sort of system to as to how a lab winner goes from a onesize toy to a full range of sizes ( at least small medium large), like do we have to buy a certain number of toys to have them considered for full production? Also it would be nice to see a full "rulebook" if you will that outlines BDs silicone molding capabilities and limitations so that toy designers can get an idea of what would be more feasible for production. And maybe just throw a cute little "dildo creater " that's like a little paint program that works with flash on the webpage and you can use different shapes and piece them together to make a model (It would be nice for us less artistic people out there that cant draw or use 3d modeling software)

Keep it up Bad Dragon, this new site stuff is a little shaky right now but it'll straighten up eventually :misc2:
i have no idea what im doing :psyduck:
User avatar
Cervixalot
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 am
Gender: XY chromosomal

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Cervixalot » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Unlock second hand forums! Many of us have toys that we no longer use/want. Using the BD forum is the most logical place to let BD owners exchange or sell BD toys.
User avatar
Akanisen
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 pm
Gender: Male(FtM), Pansexual, Demi-poly-romantic
Contact:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Akanisen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Cervixalot wrote:Unlock second hand forums! Many of us have toys that we no longer use/want. Using the BD forum is the most logical place to let BD owners exchange or sell BD toys.

This is not the place for this, this thread is specifically for the Labs. And they are working on the second hand forums, it will come back in time.
ImageImage Image "Ignorance is bliss. But bliss is boring." ~Bill Cipher Image ImageImage
User avatar
Akanisen
Posts: 7114
Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:58 pm
Gender: Male(FtM), Pansexual, Demi-poly-romantic
Contact:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Akanisen » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm

s3v3r wrote:I'd like to see a better looking BD labs with maybe comment sections for each submission so we could directly comment the artist and share our thoughts. Also I want to have some sort of system to as to how a lab winner goes from a onesize toy to a full range of sizes ( at least small medium large), like do we have to buy a certain number of toys to have them considered for full production? Also it would be nice to see a full "rulebook" if you will that outlines BDs silicone molding capabilities and limitations so that toy designers can get an idea of what would be more feasible for production. And maybe just throw a cute little "dildo creater " that's like a little paint program that works with flash on the webpage and you can use different shapes and piece them together to make a model (It would be nice for us less artistic people out there that cant draw or use 3d modeling software)

Keep it up Bad Dragon, this new site stuff is a little shaky right now but it'll straighten up eventually :misc2:

I like the idea of where you can preorder for a specific size of a toy and if enough people preorder then it gets made. Kind of like how squishables does some times. Does that make sense what I'm saying? Like there would be an option for a toy size not yet available, you can preorder it but not get charged until enough preorders are made, then when that number hits you are charged and your order placed.
ImageImage Image "Ignorance is bliss. But bliss is boring." ~Bill Cipher Image ImageImage
User avatar
Grimly Fiendish
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat May 28, 2016 11:07 pm
Location: Ogresville

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Grimly Fiendish » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 pm

Akanisen wrote:
s3v3r wrote:I'd like to see a better looking BD labs with maybe comment sections for each submission so we could directly comment the artist and share our thoughts. Also I want to have some sort of system to as to how a lab winner goes from a onesize toy to a full range of sizes ( at least small medium large), like do we have to buy a certain number of toys to have them considered for full production? Also it would be nice to see a full "rulebook" if you will that outlines BDs silicone molding capabilities and limitations so that toy designers can get an idea of what would be more feasible for production. And maybe just throw a cute little "dildo creater " that's like a little paint program that works with flash on the webpage and you can use different shapes and piece them together to make a model (It would be nice for us less artistic people out there that cant draw or use 3d modeling software)

Keep it up Bad Dragon, this new site stuff is a little shaky right now but it'll straighten up eventually :misc2:

I like the idea of where you can preorder for a specific size of a toy and if enough people preorder then it gets made. Kind of like how squishables does some times. Does that make sense what I'm saying? Like there would be an option for a toy size not yet available, you can preorder it but not get charged until enough preorders are made, then when that number hits you are charged and your order placed.


Eastwood Guitars does something like this (they make unusual guitars, and revive unusual and rare designs from the past). When they propose a new model, they open it up for preorders. If enough people pre-order, then the credit cards are charged and the model goes into production. What's useful about this approach is that people pledge their interest with a credit card, which is a more reliable way to gauge interest than counting posts on the forum.

This could be useful for the Labs, and possibly for expanding the range of sizes on One Size models.
User avatar
Dusksong
Posts: 419
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:11 pm
Gender: Female
Location: East Coast US

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Dusksong » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 am

Grimly Fiendish wrote:
Eastwood Guitars does something like this (they make unusual guitars, and revive unusual and rare designs from the past). When they propose a new model, they open it up for preorders. If enough people pre-order, then the credit cards are charged and the model goes into production. What's useful about this approach is that people pledge their interest with a credit card, which is a more reliable way to gauge interest than counting posts on the forum.

This could be useful for the Labs, and possibly for expanding the range of sizes on One Size models.


I really love this idea. The company can better estimate interest, so they can do small runs of things that might not otherwise get made. I'd definitely sponsor some designs.
Image Be true, be brave, stand. All the rest is darkness. - Stephen King
* Toys for sale & Wanted in my profile! *
User avatar
Nekotime706
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:57 am
Gender: Genderfluid (bio male)

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Postby Nekotime706 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am

It would be nice with a tool that made you able to create your own models without having to use your own tools for it
"People may think I'm weird, but I love being me, Meow x3"

19 year old, bisexual neko guy.
► Show Spoiler


Stay awesome x3

Return to “Toys: Ideas and Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests