Page 1 of 2

Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:30 pm
by dasadevil
Heyo guys,

I'm looking for some basic feedback here. Bad Dragon Labs is up for a revamp and I just want to know what it is you guys liked about it before and what you guys would like to see in the future from it, from a design / input standpoint, as well as usability and all that fun stuff.

We're open to any kind of feedback however.. IE: Voting system, any way to better organize submissions, etc.

This will be a very long and slow process and I will not be giving out too much details, but I did want to poke a thread here since this is indeed relevant to some of our more active userbase.

Thank you!~

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:36 pm
by Tempest
How cool is this! I'm sure this thread will explode pretty soon.

Some initial thoughts:
-Is it possible to use the same login for the Labs as the main website? I used the same email and username for both, so it felt sort of redundant.
-Put winning designs in their own category and remove them from general browsing of ideas
-sort by type, maybe features? So you can view all insertables, all penetratables, insertables with or without knots, etc.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:36 pm
by Roverseer2
- A search that works. At the moment, it can't view more than a page without glitching out, and it shows designs that haven't been approved yet.

- A full clear of current suggestions (aside from winners) so that designs that people have abandoned won't be put up against ones that have people actively supporting them. It also means anyone who doesn't keep up with BD any more but submitted a design doesn't have to worry about it being used, and the new version can have a better selection. Maybe even prune out submissions after each contest period, so if something happens and a designer can't access BD, their design won't be used without their knowledge?

- Better prizes, in my opinion. The amount of money winners get compared to how much money BD makes from the design is way, way too little, especially when the designs BD has been putting out have been a little same-y.

- Inline comments / feedback, so designs don't have to have discussion threads on the forums in order to be updated.

- A way to tell when designs have been updated.

- Subscribing to certain designers, maybe, so you can get alerts if someone you like makes something new?

- Removal of the 'Bad Dragon can use your design even if it doesn't win' rule. That's just sketchy. :unamused: If you want to use someone's work, pay them for it.

- An easier way to remove your design from Labs that isn't ticketing in. That way, people can remove a design that doesn't have a chance of winning, so the Labs don't end up clogged with low-quality stuff or spam.

- An easier way for other creators to have stolen designs removed. I know some people have submitted things that are essentially traces of other store's work, and I don't like that that plus the rule about BD owning everything submitted gives them a legal loophole to steal from other creators. If it's not a loophole they want to exploit, it should be an easy fix.

- Labs winners having categories, and a winner from each category. That way a penetrable isn't up against an insertable - having two different uses competing against each other is going to end up with some voter bias, and the design picked may not be the best.

- Some kind of restriction on what toys can be inspired by. Maybe it's all well and dandy for you guys, but I don't want to see something like a Spyro the Dragon penis, or... well, I can't think of anything else made for children that BD hasn't already used, so maybe this point is moot. :doh:

- Maybe a design can only have a chance to win three times, so there's motivation to really improve the design before the voting period, and a designer that doesn't do well has to come up with something new and better so that the stuff in Labs isn't always rehashing of the same horse and dog designs?

- This might just be my own personal complaint, but I wish it was clearer that BD Labs is not the only option, and that putting your stuff in BD Labs keeps you from ever making it on your own. BD's a big company, it doesn't have to worry about a few smaller places making one or two toys; making sure people know that there are other stores and other designing possibilities would be a very nice move on their part.

...

Overall, really just a way to keep designs in Labs rotating instead of always being the same things, and an easier way for people to withdraw their designs from Labs if they don't want them there any more. It shouldn't be things that are too hard to implement, and I'm sure it would mean a lot to creators.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:26 pm
by Robert Thompson
How about no staff picks and being more transparent in how to qualify for voting rounds.

Also I loved the point brought up that designs should be easier to remove from the labs

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:43 am
by LJF
Maybe add a way that designs which have a lot of downvotes get flagged to staff to consider deleting. Not only will it help get rid of very low quality entries/spam/duplicates/infringement, but it would mean that as it just flags it and not automatically deletes it, trolling down votes won’t cause good designs to become deleted... if that makes sense

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:00 am
by KungisGalo
Airly new to the whole toy thing, but if it is the Steam Work Shop of toys then a cool filtering system would be good like the categories dildos/masturbators/wearables/accessories/merch and all that.
I think letting peole design their own BD shirts and panties and shit would be fuckin' sick.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:44 am
by tzern
dasadevil wrote:This will be a very long and slow process and I will not be giving out too much details, but I did want to poke a thread here since this is indeed relevant to some of our more active userbase.


I really don't want to be that guy, but am I the only one that finds it kinda disingenuous that right after the forums link is removed from both the main site AND search engines without any communication about what is going on (and what they might be planning for them) that they ask for feedback from those very same people :doh:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:46 pm
by Faffy the FauxFox
Roverseer2 wrote:- A search that works. At the moment, it can't view more than a page without glitching out, and it shows designs that haven't been approved yet.

- A full clear of current suggestions (aside from winners) so that designs that people have abandoned won't be put up against ones that have people actively supporting them. It also means anyone who doesn't keep up with BD any more but submitted a design doesn't have to worry about it being used, and the new version can have a better selection. Maybe even prune out submissions after each contest period, so if something happens and a designer can't access BD, their design won't be used without their knowledge?

- Better prizes, in my opinion. The amount of money winners get compared to how much money BD makes from the design is way, way too little, especially when the designs BD has been putting out have been a little same-y.

- Inline comments / feedback, so designs don't have to have discussion threads on the forums in order to be updated.

- A way to tell when designs have been updated.

- Subscribing to certain designers, maybe, so you can get alerts if someone you like makes something new?

- Removal of the 'Bad Dragon can use your design even if it doesn't win' rule. That's just sketchy. :unamused: If you want to use someone's work, pay them for it.

- An easier way to remove your design from Labs that isn't ticketing in. That way, people can remove a design that doesn't have a chance of winning, so the Labs don't end up clogged with low-quality stuff or spam.

- An easier way for other creators to have stolen designs removed. I know some people have submitted things that are essentially traces of other store's work, and I don't like that that plus the rule about BD owning everything submitted gives them a legal loophole to steal from other creators. If it's not a loophole they want to exploit, it should be an easy fix.

- Labs winners having categories, and a winner from each category. That way a penetrable isn't up against an insertable - having two different uses competing against each other is going to end up with some voter bias, and the design picked may not be the best.

- Some kind of restriction on what toys can be inspired by. Maybe it's all well and dandy for you guys, but I don't want to see something like a Spyro the Dragon penis, or... well, I can't think of anything else made for children that BD hasn't already used, so maybe this point is moot. :doh:

- Maybe a design can only have a chance to win three times, so there's motivation to really improve the design before the voting period, and a designer that doesn't do well has to come up with something new and better so that the stuff in Labs isn't always rehashing of the same horse and dog designs?

- This might just be my own personal complaint, but I wish it was clearer that BD Labs is not the only option, and that putting your stuff in BD Labs keeps you from ever making it on your own. BD's a big company, it doesn't have to worry about a few smaller places making one or two toys; making sure people know that there are other stores and other designing possibilities would be a very nice move on their part.

...

Overall, really just a way to keep designs in Labs rotating instead of always being the same things, and an easier way for people to withdraw their designs from Labs if they don't want them there any more. It shouldn't be things that are too hard to implement, and I'm sure it would mean a lot to creators.



but the old ones there could show someone, if they bother to look, what someone else did, so it's not a "this is in the labs already, do it different" or is it better that way? either way it ends in "this is a rip off of another submission"

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:53 pm
by Roverseer2
Faffy the FauxFox wrote:
Roverseer2 wrote: :words:


but the old ones there could show someone, if they bother to look, what someone else did, so it's not a "this is in the labs already, do it different" or is it better that way? either way it ends in "this is a rip off of another submission"


Most of the people who submitted to Labs are probably gone, either because the forums have been dying, smaller stores have cropped up with stuff they like more, just because the Labs have been abandoned for so long, or just because it's been years and it's lost interest.

With how dead things are, and with how the forum has been scrubbed from search results and how easy it is for people to just make their own stuff, I think BD's taken too long to make the Labs useful to them anyway. At the very least, having everything in Labs right now means BD can steal any of it with no repercussions, and I have more respect for the artists who couldn't remove their work than for BD trying to profit off of it. :unamused:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 am
by Akanisen
How about a way to ask for further information on feedback? There were several times people's feedback would be very vague or something and I had no idea what they were wanting changed.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:24 pm
by QueenCheetah93
I agree with the catagories - Dildos, Insertables, sheaths, etc

Also putting in another vote for merch design! There's lots of talented artists out there, and you can have more frequent winners and smaller prizes that way - since I know feasibly a winning toy from the labs will only come once in a blue moon.

A transparent terms & conditions/contract. Easily linked and seen, and fair to both the company and the artist. This also goes along with an easier way to manage your designs, whether it be updating or removing.

A comments system. This may have to be moderator approved, but I like the idea of people being able to give detailed feedback on the submission itself, instead of starting threads on the forum.

Otherwise - I'm really excited to hear that the labs are coming back! I love seeing peoples creativity, and it gives people a chance to have their dream designs brought to life. :widesmile:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:52 am
by Shadow hound
I would like a possibility to specify if a toy is intended more for anal or vaginal use. Because if you design something that's better for vaginal(short, girthy, curved, all that even if some like that but mostly no) people will complain that it's too thick, needs to be longer etc. That's most of the time(yes yes not always...) the problem with designs when people request changes to it that are better for anal when you are going for vaginal use. So maybe you could tick a box for anal, vaginal or both.

Also there was a lot of old designs by users who probably don't ever want to update their designs again so there should be a way to vote something out of the labs as well so it doesn't look so cluttered.

Also someone mentioned you have the right to use the design even if it doesn't win...which is totally cool if you also reward the person for it. But if you just grab it cause you "own it" since it's in the labs, why would anyone want to put it in the labs just so you own it but they would know they never will ever get anything from it. Use only if you reward the designer.

Oh and I think it would be best if the designs were entered without a name, only a number code like design 932849725 and NO character art. People are so easily influenced by Pokemon or whatever that it would be great if what mattered most was the design and not what it represents. That way YOU can decide what it is when/if you start to manufacture the toy.

I'm happy that you're bringing labs back. :)

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:41 am
by Shadow_Twisted
I had a design in labs previously, which mostly went abandoned for a few reasons, lack of interest, limited abilities with 3D modeling to really update the design, etc, but I do know that the feedback options were way too generalized.

Others had mentioned about more specific feedback, or even having written feedback comments. Due to the concern with moderating, I'm thinking a lot of the main issues for comments could be broken down into a hierarchy of drop-down options.

First level would be the main category: Size, Shape, Texture, etc

Next level would be the area of complaint, so for size let's say Too big, Too small, Too long, Too short, etc

And then you could even have a specific area of concern: Head, shaft, knot, base , etc

While it would be a bit more work initially, it would remove the need for moderation while still allowing for more specific feedback. Although there could also be an option for an Other category in which a person could write a detailed and specific critique that would be sent directly to the creator. If the creator finds that the comment is less constructive criticism and just some kind of mean-spirited rant then I could see there being a report option in which the comment would be sent for review and if found to be against ToU, the appropriate action can be taken.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:38 am
by s3v3r
I'd like to see a better looking BD labs with maybe comment sections for each submission so we could directly comment the artist and share our thoughts. Also I want to have some sort of system to as to how a lab winner goes from a onesize toy to a full range of sizes ( at least small medium large), like do we have to buy a certain number of toys to have them considered for full production? Also it would be nice to see a full "rulebook" if you will that outlines BDs silicone molding capabilities and limitations so that toy designers can get an idea of what would be more feasible for production. And maybe just throw a cute little "dildo creater " that's like a little paint program that works with flash on the webpage and you can use different shapes and piece them together to make a model (It would be nice for us less artistic people out there that cant draw or use 3d modeling software)

Keep it up Bad Dragon, this new site stuff is a little shaky right now but it'll straighten up eventually :misc2:

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:51 pm
by Cervixalot
Unlock second hand forums! Many of us have toys that we no longer use/want. Using the BD forum is the most logical place to let BD owners exchange or sell BD toys.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:44 pm
by Akanisen
Cervixalot wrote:Unlock second hand forums! Many of us have toys that we no longer use/want. Using the BD forum is the most logical place to let BD owners exchange or sell BD toys.

This is not the place for this, this thread is specifically for the Labs. And they are working on the second hand forums, it will come back in time.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:47 pm
by Akanisen
s3v3r wrote:I'd like to see a better looking BD labs with maybe comment sections for each submission so we could directly comment the artist and share our thoughts. Also I want to have some sort of system to as to how a lab winner goes from a onesize toy to a full range of sizes ( at least small medium large), like do we have to buy a certain number of toys to have them considered for full production? Also it would be nice to see a full "rulebook" if you will that outlines BDs silicone molding capabilities and limitations so that toy designers can get an idea of what would be more feasible for production. And maybe just throw a cute little "dildo creater " that's like a little paint program that works with flash on the webpage and you can use different shapes and piece them together to make a model (It would be nice for us less artistic people out there that cant draw or use 3d modeling software)

Keep it up Bad Dragon, this new site stuff is a little shaky right now but it'll straighten up eventually :misc2:

I like the idea of where you can preorder for a specific size of a toy and if enough people preorder then it gets made. Kind of like how squishables does some times. Does that make sense what I'm saying? Like there would be an option for a toy size not yet available, you can preorder it but not get charged until enough preorders are made, then when that number hits you are charged and your order placed.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 pm
by Grimly Fiendish
Akanisen wrote:
s3v3r wrote:I'd like to see a better looking BD labs with maybe comment sections for each submission so we could directly comment the artist and share our thoughts. Also I want to have some sort of system to as to how a lab winner goes from a onesize toy to a full range of sizes ( at least small medium large), like do we have to buy a certain number of toys to have them considered for full production? Also it would be nice to see a full "rulebook" if you will that outlines BDs silicone molding capabilities and limitations so that toy designers can get an idea of what would be more feasible for production. And maybe just throw a cute little "dildo creater " that's like a little paint program that works with flash on the webpage and you can use different shapes and piece them together to make a model (It would be nice for us less artistic people out there that cant draw or use 3d modeling software)

Keep it up Bad Dragon, this new site stuff is a little shaky right now but it'll straighten up eventually :misc2:

I like the idea of where you can preorder for a specific size of a toy and if enough people preorder then it gets made. Kind of like how squishables does some times. Does that make sense what I'm saying? Like there would be an option for a toy size not yet available, you can preorder it but not get charged until enough preorders are made, then when that number hits you are charged and your order placed.


Eastwood Guitars does something like this (they make unusual guitars, and revive unusual and rare designs from the past). When they propose a new model, they open it up for preorders. If enough people pre-order, then the credit cards are charged and the model goes into production. What's useful about this approach is that people pledge their interest with a credit card, which is a more reliable way to gauge interest than counting posts on the forum.

This could be useful for the Labs, and possibly for expanding the range of sizes on One Size models.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 am
by Dusksong
Grimly Fiendish wrote:
Eastwood Guitars does something like this (they make unusual guitars, and revive unusual and rare designs from the past). When they propose a new model, they open it up for preorders. If enough people pre-order, then the credit cards are charged and the model goes into production. What's useful about this approach is that people pledge their interest with a credit card, which is a more reliable way to gauge interest than counting posts on the forum.

This could be useful for the Labs, and possibly for expanding the range of sizes on One Size models.


I really love this idea. The company can better estimate interest, so they can do small runs of things that might not otherwise get made. I'd definitely sponsor some designs.

Re: Bad Dragon Labs - Lookin' for some feedback

Posted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:57 am
by Nekotime706
It would be nice with a tool that made you able to create your own models without having to use your own tools for it