Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Do you have a question about firmness? Wondering how to take the knot? This is the place to seek your answers!

Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Postby Torakazu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:37 am

After some questions about fixing some other toys, I have decided to turn this into a more general howto guide for repairing damaged silicone toys in the event of an unfortunate tear. It should be advised that if your toy is covered by Bad Dragon's warranty, then you should contact them first before even thinking about repairing the damage yourself.

If your toy is one of the female types or a flop, then you may skip the ticket and move right onto repairs in your own home.

For this guide, I will be using my dragoness. The technique can be used for rips, tears and holes on all types of toys.

As you can see below, there are two distinct tears in the top and bottom of my Anthro Dragoness. These two spots are common for damage with this toy, but repair is actually quite simple since tears never seem to form deep within. Patching deeper tears and cuts (more than two inches inside the opening) could be difficult for a beginner. If you have a trusted friend with steady hands and model building experience, it may be wise to let them tackle the repair.

Repair3.jpg
Poor thing. I'll fix you up.

Sil-Poxy is the preferred adhesive for repairing the silicone Bad Dragon uses for toys, but others could work as long as they are designed for use with platinum cure silicones. The adhesive needs to be able to stretch like the original silicone or it could easily tear right back open. Super glue is NOT advised.

First step, gather your materials. You will need:
Damaged Platinum cure silicone toy. (obviously.)
Sil-Poxy or similar adhesive. (This is a little expensive, but far less costly than a new toy. Be sure that it will work with Platinum Cure silicones.)****
Newspaper or paper towels. Sil-poxy bonds to more than just silicone. Don't need it sticking to your table.
Q-tips.

****Current link broken, but I found two other locations to buy Sil-Poxy online.

http://www.douglasandsturgess.com/product/AM-1049.html

http://www.reynoldsam.com/Epoxy,-Silico ... catdepth=1

Repair1.jpg
Everything you should need.

Second, put down your barrier. I used paper towels.

Third, if you haven't already, thoroughly clean and dry your toy. Make sure that the damaged sections are completely dust and lint free. Like any other adhesive repair, it works best with clean surfaces.

Fourth, prepare your adhesive by putting a small amount on the end of a Q-tip. It will make it much easier to spread throughout the entire inner surface of the tear without making a huge mess and wasting any more of the bonding agent than you have to. Sil-Poxy has a 5 minute pot life, which basically means that if you are coloring it (for filling of larger holes and cracks), you have about that long to mix the pigments with the adhesive before it becomes useless. It seems like a very short time, but you should not rush. You will have plenty of time to do it right.

Repair4.jpg
Remember, since you're just sealing a crack it will not take much. Just a little dab'll do ya.

Fifth, unfortunately I could not take pictures of this part as I needed both hands to perform the step. It's not incredibly difficult though. Carefully spread the rip open with one hand and with the other use the Q-tip to spread the adhesive over the inner surfaces of the rip. Don't be afraid to work the stuff into the nooks and crannies.

Sixth, after applying the adhesive, slowly allow the tear to close and squeeze out any excess. Use a clean Q-tip to very gently wipe away the excess adhesive. Be careful not to accidentally dig in and remove any from inside the tear.

Seventh, set your toy on your newspaper or paper towel and let the adhesive cure. Sil-poxy needs about 16 minutes according to it's label. I gave it half an hour before a test stretch. Your rip should be sealed and if you didn't over apply, should be nearly invisible.

Repair6.jpg
After shot. Nice and solid.

And that's it. Of course, you repeat steps 4-7 if you have multiple rips. You can also seal them all at once and then let the Sil-poxy cure all at once. It is recommended that you wait at least two hours before cleaning and using your toy.

I gave my toy a 24 hour rest period to be certain that the adhesive holds. It most definitely worked. I was able to use it without any problem and the repair held beautifully. I can say with a pretty high degree of certainty that this repair will hold and not cause any problems while toying.

I'd like to thank two people who made this howto guide possible. First, my dentist. He showed me lots of really cool tricks for working with adhesives. Second, Quail. She pointed me to a good supplier for Sil-Poxy as well as several tips in handling it. The two hour wait time is one of her tips.

I hope this guide helps anyone who wants to tackle fixing their damaged toys. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I'll try to answer them as quickly and as accurately as I can.
Last edited by Torakazu on Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Torakazu

Re: Howto - Repairing tears in an Anthro Dragoness

Postby Torakazu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:10 am

Well, I'll know at about 2:30 PM EST tomorrow. I hope it works too.
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:51 pm

Edited above.

Sil-poxy may be expensive, but it definitely does what it's supposed to. I'm in love with my Dragoness all over again.

Now would be a good time for BD to hurry up with the lube.
Torakazu

Postby Kitfox » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:23 am

Not long ago I noticed a small tear in my dragoness at roughly the same bottom spot as yours. Thank you so much for this post! I have been scared to use her again for fear of making things worse.
Kitfox

Postby Torakazu » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:27 pm

wolf_girl wrote:hmm...my razor has a tear right on his cumhole at the tip, would it fix that?? And would it drip down into the cum hole??
tear.jpg

It can repair that tear, but if your toy is still under warranty, I'd contact BD for replacement.

If not, or was bought used, then DIY repair is an option.

Sil-Poxy is extremely thick and doesn't run. You should still be extremely careful during application. Q-tips are your best friends.

The tips for use in the original post will should help you.
Torakazu

Postby Torakazu » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:00 pm

Ok, first things first, open a ticket and find out if it is still covered, even though you bought it used. You may need the order ID number from threefingers.

If it is NOT covered, you can find a link in my original post or search 'sil-poxy'.

I am typing this on my 3DS, very far from home, so it is very difficult to copy and paste the link. It is in the text where I listed the items needed. Click on 'Sil-Poxy'.
Torakazu

Postby Static » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:05 am

*INB4 someone glues there dick into the dragoness*

Thankyou so much for this!
Static

Postby ThreeFingers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:17 am

wolf_girl wrote:I know ThreeFingers bought it custom...so technically it is under the warrenty....But I bought it used from him..so IDK how that works. lol. Where do I buy Sil-Poxy??

Straight from the FAQ on BD's front page.

All phallic Bad Dragon toys are guaranteed for 5 years and are expected to last a lifetime. Exceptions include adoptions, the dragoness and other toys intended to be penetrated and/ or special circumstances with your order. We will advise you in advance if your order is not covered by the standard warranty. Our material is so resilient that it’s almost impervious to heat, cold, and daily use. If, for some reason, your toy does develop an issue, please contact us so we may assess the situation and exercise our warranty policy accordingly. All warranty claims are subject to review by a member of Bad Dragon management and are handled on a case by case basis. If you have questions regarding possible things that will void your warranty please contact us.

I would imagine that since you said this:
wolf_girl wrote:lol I tried..thought I was breaking something..But the tube wouldn't budge.... :?

In reference to you trying to pull the cumtube out, which isn't really possible, I think that would probably void the warranty on the toy. Plus the fact that I have photos of that toy taken less than a month before I sold it to you showing that it was defect free (ie- No tears or rips), I don't think your chances of having it replaced are very good. I would suggest trying to use Sil-Poxy like Torakazu suggested. That shit works wonders for toys and I have repaired several for my friends using it, thanks to this thread and Torakazu's step by step directions. As for where to buy Sil-Poxy, this is where I bought mine from, which is linked in the original post by Torakazu. https://secure.farwestmaterials.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=239&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=65
ThreeFingers

Postby ThreeFingers » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:11 pm

wolf_girl wrote:LOL You told me Lillica pulled hers out.....now I'm confused. You say she did it..then you say it's impossible.. :? Sil-Poxy ahoy!!!! LOL

No no, I said it 'isn't really possible'. That doesn't mean it's impossible, it just takes skill and patience to do it correctly. I told you recently in a PM there was a particular way to do it and that Lillica used a guide from a friend of hers who used to belong to this forum. She removed the cumtube from her toy before we knew each other, and we've known each other for 14 months. I've never done it because the only toy I ever owned with a tube is in your possession. Most everyone else just crops the cumtube at the base if they don't want it for some reason. The Sil-Poxy WILL work if you buy it and follow Torakazu's instructions for application.
ThreeFingers

Postby Torakazu » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:03 pm

*reads Threfingers' posts*

Wow... I didn't realize that my guide had been so helpful. Maybe I should rebuild the first post and turn it into a general toy repair how-to.
Torakazu

Postby ThreeFingers » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:40 am

Torakazu wrote:*reads Threfingers' posts*

Wow... I didn't realize that my guide had been so helpful. Maybe I should rebuild the first post and turn it into a general toy repair how-to.

I think that would be a wonderful idea and certainly very helpful, especially for the female toys. 8-)
ThreeFingers

Re: Howto - Repairing tears in Platinum cure Silicone toys

Postby Torakazu » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:31 pm

And done. The thread title and original post are updated to be a more general guide.

Questions on self repairs may be asked here as well, so don't be shy about finding out how to fix a cat-scratched dragon dong or an overstuffed mare.
Torakazu

Postby Forever_Grinning » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:21 am

Thanks for posting this! It helped me to take care of a tear I found on my old fusion.
Forever_Grinning

Postby Torakazu » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:33 am

You're very welcome. Hopefully you'll never have to patch a toy again, but at least you know how if the worst does happen.
Torakazu

Postby Zoen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:28 am

Before I go making any kind of purchases, I want to ask you this.

Is "silicone rubber adhesive" the same as Silpoxy, which is just labeled as a "silicone adhesive"? If it is, then I can just get one on eBay for about $3 than having to go to an arts-and-crafts site to get one for $12...

Don't want to buy the $3 one if it's not the same thing, is the wrong type, or could damage silicone...
Zoen

Postby BlackSheep » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:06 am

Silicone rubber adhesive will not adhere correctly to platinum cured silicone. As far as silicone applications go it is a temporary fix for mold issues, but definitely not the best one. It won't fix problems with your toys, so unfortunately you will have to shell out more for the sil-poxy.

I personally think it's worth it.
BlackSheep

Postby Zoen » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:10 am

BlackSheep wrote:Silicone rubber adhesive will not adhere correctly to platinum cured silicone. As far as silicone applications go it is a temporary fix for mold issues, but definitely not the best one. It won't fix problems with your toys, so unfortunately you will have to shell out more for the sil-poxy.

I personally think it's worth it.

Meh, kinda figured. Guess it's off to earning quite a bit more L$ before I can convert it to cash and try to get it with PayPal.

My dragoness has two large tears in her due to a friend of mine, and I'm pretty much unable to have fun with her without fear of completely splitting her in two...
Zoen

Postby zeejay » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:15 pm

I came to post a thread asking about what I should do about my poor Anthro Husky's tear, but I saw this thread instead!

Just wanted to say thanks very much for the short and simple tutorial! :downs:
zeejay

Postby Wundurra » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm

zeejay wrote:I came to post a thread asking about what I should do about my poor Anthro Husky's tear, but I saw this thread instead!

Yeah I got my husky yesterday and didn't open the package till today. it's got a fairly big tear, and I haven't used it yet.
027 (1024x683).jpg
Black / yellow marble, yellow looks a little green on the front
Wundurra

Postby ruffruffwolf » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Wundurra wrote:
zeejay wrote:I came to post a thread asking about what I should do about my poor Anthro Husky's tear, but I saw this thread instead!

Yeah I got my husky yesterday and didn't open the package till today. it's got a fairly big tear, and I haven't used it yet.
027 (1024x683).jpg

Send in a ticket about that! They shouldn't come torn like that, especially since that is a rather big tear.

Also, nice to see this stickied, FINALLY.
ruffruffwolf

Next

Return to Help, Questions, and How-To's