What do you use to clean your toys?

What do you use to clean your toys?

Postby Tamago » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:22 am

Like the topic says, what does everyone use to keep their toys clean? Soap and water, a special cleaner, bleach, or something else? Is it safe to use antibacterial soap on BD toys? If I run a toy through the dishwasher does it matter if it's on the top rack or the bottom?

I read the pdf about toy care but I didn't see anything about what could potentially harm the toy and I'd be devastated if I hurt my toy somehow.
Ordered 1/6/11: Breeder, Small, 8 firmness, suction cup, Surprise me coloring!
MQ: 1/30/11
Shipped: 2/23/11
Arrived: 3/1/11
Feel free to drop me a PM anytime!
Tamago

Re: What do you use to clean your toys?

Postby KaruilBunny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:29 am

Usually soap and water for me. Dunno about the dish washer since I usually toy at night and can't get access to it after a certain hour. And for privacy, I choose not to bring them out during the day unless I know I'm alone. It's pretty tough to break down the silicone with conventional cleaners.
One Herm Foxbunny, sweet, kind and lovable.
My Bad Dragon Toys
KaruilBunny

Postby glittercorgi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:01 am

I use soap and water to clean the toy after every use, and once in a while fill the sink with hot water and 10% bleach solution and soak all my silicone toys. It works very well. I also have a bottle of toy cleaner, but that's mostly for my non-BD toys.
I worked really hard on my last signature.
glittercorgi

Postby Sarmanikan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:55 am

I just use antibacterial soap and water for mine, although I do know 10% bleach and water is safe for them as well. You can also boil them in hot water too! Maybe next time I'm at the workshop I should line up a bunch of sample disks and try letting different cleaners soak on them for a day or two and see what happens, might be a fun experiment XD (No promises on that any time soon, I'm busy with a lot of other stuff at the moment!).
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Sarmanikan
Bad Dragon Staff

Postby Tamago » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:21 pm

A big thank you to everyone! And thank you to Sarmanikan for confirming antibacterial soap is safe to use. I guess I'd have to go out of my way to harm BD toys. I think I've seen a video where someone fried, froze, microwaved, and even ran over a BD toy and it was fine.
Tamago

Postby Sarmanikan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:56 pm

No problem! And yes, our toys are very resilient, except to sharp things that cut! (Teeth and long fingernails included, be careful!)

PS. I don't know if I can eat an egg sunny side up ever again after seeing your avatar pic...
Sarmanikan
Bad Dragon Staff

Postby Willow » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:22 pm

What about using liquid nitrogen? If the T-1000 had a problem with it...

Anyway, how well would microwaving work for heating up a toy for play? Obviously if it is too hot than cool down period is in order. I usually soak mine in hot water but I like to be open to other options.
[i]Why can't we have img's in our signature if they comply with size?[/i]
Willow

Postby Sarmanikan » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:43 pm

We've had mixed results with microwaving a toy. We've heard from some people that it does work and gets them nice and warm, but in our own tests, it didn't do anything, didn't get warm or anything. I wouldn't suggest it since there's no telling what it does to the toy internally. Ours came out fine, but, ya never know, and it certainly wouldn't be covered by the warranty if something DID happen because of microwaving.
Sarmanikan
Bad Dragon Staff

Postby RomanHyena » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:00 am

I like to use soap and water, but on the rare occasions when I can't get to the bathroom sink, such as if someone is in the shower and I've got to leave the house I don't want to leave them sit till I get home, so instead I bought Swiss Navy toy cleaner which is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral so it's really good, silicone safe (don't know about gel..) and great for those times when you've really got to get your stuff clean but someone else is blocking your access to a private sink ^.^
RomanHyena

Postby Aresues » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:23 am

I'd imagine boiling them would be the most effective method of really cleaning them, right? No matter what nasties might be left in those cracks and crevices, nothing can survive above boiling point, right?

I used hospital-grade antibacterial soap for my first toy, and was horrifed to find flecks coming off it. Needless to say, I haven't used such powerful cleaner since then :D
Owned:
Med Razor, 5/8, Onyx Black, Cumtube (Reviewed)
Med Werewolf, 5/8, Halloween Black, Suction Cup (Reviewed)
Med Duke, 5, Dark Natural, Cumtube (Reviewed)
Med Seadragon, 3, Dark Natural, Suction Cup (Reviewed)
Med Ridgeback, 8, SURPRISE ME! (Reviewed)
Lge Breeder, 5/8, Dark Natural, S/C (Reviewed)
Lge Desi, 8, Whore Red, Cumtube (Reviewed)
Lge Faerie Dragon, 5, Dark Natural, S/C (Reviewed)

Ordered:
Lge Razor, 3/5, Custom
Lge Gryphon, 5, SURPRISE ME!, S/C
Med Xar, 8, SURPRISE ME!

Wish List:
Fruits of Loreain
Male Raptor Cloaca
Otter
Aresues

Postby Sukita » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 am

Aresues wrote:nothing can survive above boiling point, right?

Not strictly true, but I'm just being a microbiology nerd there. If you boil it, it will be clean enough that it won't make you sick, though!
BD Toys on Hand: Emerald green Tentacle (5/M), White to purple fade Tentacle (L) adoption, Dark natural highlight Xenogon (5/M), Coal black Sea Dragon (8/S), Sunset gold to bright crimson shimmer fade Xenogon (8/M), Sparkly White Breeder (5/M), Whore Red Sea Dragon (5/S), Mother-of-Pearl marbled Tentacle (5/L), Surprise Me Cockatrice (5/S), Bright shimmery gold with pearly highlight Cockatrice (3/S), Grey with green shimmer to black with green shimmer fade Duke (5/M), Rich violet shimmer Xenogon (5/L), fleshy pink (with gold pearlesence) and white (with blue pearlesence) marbled shaft, grey (with purple pearlesence) base Moko (5/S). On order: Dark natural Moko (5/M)
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT BUYING TOYS THAT ARE NOT FOR SALE.
My BD toy reviews . Image . Image . Image . Image
Sukita

Postby Prophesy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:29 am

Personally I like rinsing my BD toys with water and leaving to air-dry before use, then washing with antibacterial soap and water and leaving to air-dry again after use. I use basically the same procedure for my vibrators, except that usually I dry them with a tissue rather than leaving them out. Since only my hands and never the toys have made contact with the soap, the only issue I've had so far is the slowness of air-drying.
Owner of a small Razor and medium Werewolf :3
Prophesy

Postby Blackymoon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:07 pm

When I initially get the toys from BD I boil them 2 times and use antibacterial soap, then let them airdry.
After and before "normal" use I normally soak them, just like the majority here, in warm soapy water.
If the mood is right and I know that I'll do a longer toying session, I also heat them with boiled water in a bucket, that also helps eliminating any bacteria that could have developed over time.
Blackymoon

Postby Evren » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:21 pm

Boiled and soaped.
Easyeasy
Evren

Postby drnick » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:02 pm

Willow wrote:Anyway, how well would microwaving work for heating up a toy for play?

I'd say that microwaving toys falls under the Bad Idea category, at least without some careful considerations. First, it probably won't do anything, since the toys aren't made of anything which absorbs microwaves (and thus, won't heat). Second, if you just put the toy in by itself you can damage the microwave (since there's nothing in there to absorb the microwaves).

If you really want to try it, I'd put a cup of water in there with the toy and let it run for a minute or so. Unless your toy has somehow absorbed water or something, it won't likely warm up at all.
drnick

Postby Tamago » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:21 pm

Wow, I'm convinced anything aside from setting the toy on fire is safe to use. I didn't know about the 10% bleach trick I'll have to do that once I get my toy. I just love the way bleach smells so nice and clean. Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread you've all helped a ton.
Tamago

Postby Evren » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:19 pm

I would be very careful about the bleach though.
Even a small amount of bleach burns.
Evren

Postby Foxtail » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 pm

I've had no issues using antibacterial soap on them. I probably should bleach and boil them once in awhile but eh I'm not really all that worried about it. I'd only bleach it if someone else used it or it was going from anal to vaginal.
Foxtail

Postby Ender_Rydel » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 pm

Soap and water here. I should probably boil mine too from time to time just to make sure they're sterilized, but it's sort of hard to do so discretely when I live with my parents. Pretty sure they'd raise an eyebrow at me if they came downstairs to see me boiling a giant dragon dildo in a pot of water. That and I'm afraid of screwing up the process and somehow damaging my toy.
Ender_Rydel

Postby Willow » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:14 pm

Tamago wrote:Wow, I'm convinced anything aside from setting the toy on fire is safe to use.

*lights some matches* What? No... I'm doing anything.

I really hadn't seriously considered the microwave. Maybe an idle thought. I usually like to do research before making any move. Like superheating certain liquids in the microwave when there no pockets of air. That's also a bad idea.
[i]Why can't we have img's in our signature if they comply with size?[/i]
Willow

Next

Return to Help, Questions and Howto's Archive