Funny idea: Gender tags?

Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Funny idea: Gender tags?

Postby Varka » Sat May 16, 2009 10:22 pm

Now we've released the Dragoness and now have changed the playing field a bit by having two different possible interests people could have, I wanted to bounce an idea off of you all.

What do you think about adding gender tags to forum profiles, such that people can see at a glance what gender people are, and therefore why they might be posting in the thread?

I think going the whole way and doing 'orientation' tags is probably a bit far (especially seeing as it's rarely that simple; varies between species, sometimes you get a herm (like me) to shove a spanner in the works, etc...), but I do think that knowing at a glance what gender someone asking a question or suggesting something would be a really neat idea.

Of course, there'd be an 'opt out' (perhaps by default?), and we'd need to be sure they aren't going to cause any problems (I'd like your input, ladies, on if you think expressing your gender publically will result in an increase in the amount of pestering you get) - but I think this could genuinely be a useful thing.

Thoughts?

Varka
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
Dimi

Re: Funny idea: Gender tags?

Postby Dimi » Sat May 16, 2009 10:28 pm

My first thoughts are... Why are we not allowed to use ranks? :/

You'll have to have an "other" or something like that option for the genders, though...
SilverWolfie

Postby SilverWolfie » Sat May 16, 2009 10:29 pm

Sounds good to me. Orientation flags would be kinda cool too though, I think. What about those of us who are one, but relate as the other though? for example I am male, but my fursonas are generally female as thats what I relate myself to...
~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ SilverWolfie ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~ ~)O(~

Order #6660: Medium Gryphon & Mini Sea Dragon
Order #7214: The Freeman
Order #9533: Beta Anthro Dragoness
x4174

Postby x4174 » Sat May 16, 2009 10:40 pm

Clarification as to RL or 'sona etc associated gender / orientation would be more of a debatable subject, I think most would like either or both. How about also adding 'fill in the blank' option for species that displays on forum posts or just profiles?
Proud owner of: Breeder, Tailstretcher, Sea Dragon.
Freon Dragon

Postby Freon Dragon » Sat May 16, 2009 10:44 pm

At last :P

I think it should be optional, orientation optional too and people should cut the crap and either display what they really are on real life or not display anything at all. This is not a RP forum, there's no point in using your fursona's characteristics as your own.

Gender should be male, female, male-born TS, female-born TS. (added TS because it's a complicated thing not to have)

Orientations should be straight, gay, bi.

Everything else is BS people make up to justify themselves. For a simple tag it doesn't matter if someone is a crossdresser or a bi-curious.

If people really want to add their fursona stats, then it could be a separate feature, and if they want to have only that on display and not their real life stats, they are free to do so, but only if duly noted.
Order #11298 - Breeder - Medium, Medium (5), Custom Fade/Split, Suction Cup - Review
FinleyOtego

Postby FinleyOtego » Sat May 16, 2009 10:48 pm

First post on this forum, and it's to agree with something the owner came up with.

I like the idea. I was shown this company and the forum by a good friend, but being a straight male I prefer to know if I'm seeing a female review of something, rather than something I'm not really into.

Please forgive me for being an ass.
ImageImageImage
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Sat May 16, 2009 11:03 pm

Freon Hotshot wrote:At last :P

I think it should be optional, orientation optional too and people should cut the crap and either display what they really are on real life or not display anything at all. This is not a RP forum, there's no point in using your fursona's characteristics as your own.

Gender should be male, female, male-born TS, female-born TS. (added TS because it's a complicated thing not to have)

Orientations should be straight, gay, bi.

Everything else is BS people make up to justify themselves. For a simple tag it doesn't matter if someone is a crossdresser or a bi-curious.

If people really want to add their fursona stats, then it could be a separate feature, and if they want to have only that on display and not their real life stats, they are free to do so, but only if duly noted.

=flamebait

No really, it does... Calling things that people use to describe themselves BS except for the most standard terms is sure to catch sparks...
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Sat May 16, 2009 11:53 pm

I think the orientation should be a fill-in-the-blank, personally, because there'll always be people not happy with the option selection... And I also really like the species idea
Runa

Postby Runa » Sun May 17, 2009 12:06 am

Tsukiyomi-sakura wrote:gender tags NAO or burn In hell.

how about both?
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Sun May 17, 2009 12:08 am

Runa wrote:

how about both?

A little bit of administrative animosity going on here? :?
x4174

Postby x4174 » Sun May 17, 2009 12:10 am

Runa wrote:

how about both?

How do you know you aren't already?
>>

(the matrix has you)
Proud owner of: Breeder, Tailstretcher, Sea Dragon.
Runa

Postby Runa » Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

I was being silly becuase it's 3 AM and I need to be in bed, but here I am talking to you guys.
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Sun May 17, 2009 12:16 am

Ai, same story for both of us... *drags his tail to bed*
Freon Dragon

Postby Freon Dragon » Sun May 17, 2009 12:58 am

Dimi wrote:Calling things that people use to describe themselves BS except for the most standard terms is sure to catch sparks...

All I'm saying is that it's not a MySpace/Facebook/Orkut/whatever profile. They're just easy to spot small icons that will probably go under your avatar, like in many forums.

If you want to make a full profile, then it's something for another feature, such an 'about me' box in your profile page.
Order #11298 - Breeder - Medium, Medium (5), Custom Fade/Split, Suction Cup - Review
Glath

Postby Glath » Sun May 17, 2009 3:06 am

That sounds interesting... Although when I talk about someone on here, I use gender neutrality to refer to some one, (Aka, it, they, them,) Unless I'm 100% positive of the gender. (of course the problem of those who prefer to be called the other gender still arises.)
I don't care what they are, I'll cuddle with them all the same! *Grin*
(It may cut out the whole stereotype "there are no women on the internet" or at least just a little bit.)
When I write in normal text Glath is talking.
When I write in light blue text David is talking.

Disclaimer: The whole separate personalities thing is purely for fun, In case you didn't know that by now.
My Formspring. Cause all the cool kids are doing it.
cheetah

Postby cheetah » Sun May 17, 2009 4:35 am

-deleted-
Last edited by cheetah on Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxfire

Postby Foxfire » Sun May 17, 2009 6:01 am

Freon Hotshot wrote:At last :P

Ok, this bit I agree with, as in not using a fursona and using your RL gender.

Freon Hotshot wrote:Orientations should be straight, gay, bi.

Um, asexuals? Maybe pansexual too? And no more.

Optional please, as I won't be using this. :)
LGGF

Postby LGGF » Sun May 17, 2009 6:38 am

geeeesh.. furries.. the most hopless drama queens there is :P
I never seen a group of more than 5 being able too agree on anything and even that small it seems hard :P

this should be the simples thing in the world.. but 6000 diffrent "what if...", and omg "but I..." this wont get anywhere unless someone jsut desides it :P

anyways I thik it's a good idea and keep it too rl stuff of and gender only not too much bs :P
Dimi

Postby Dimi » Sun May 17, 2009 7:25 am

*facepalm* Disagreement =/= drama. And guess what, that is only to be expected in a heavily nonconformist group like furries and associated. Sexuality can be far too complicated for a multiple choice answer, as some people aren't attracted to humans or have gender orientations which vary based on the "species" of the subject... To me, sexual orientation is not only about the gender but also about the species, making it at least two-dimensional...
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Sun May 17, 2009 8:19 am

Hehehe - I like Cheetah's idea of a two-dimensional coordinate system; but i feel that could be unscalable when you start including multiple species in your sexual preferences.... Maybe a three dimensional coordinate system or sparse, n-space matrix to allow vectorised comparisons would be more suitable :p

Anyway - genders are complicated, especially for a group of sexual 'weirdos' like us - for example, if we take 'fursonas' or spiritual identities into it, I'm a hermaphroditic, androgynous(as in, you can't tell what gender I am from general appearance) dragon, that goes through male and female phases on a cycle, who likes males, females and other hermaphrodites (but only at the right time!).

Of course, if you take the practical view of 'orientation', I'm a mostly-gay, surprisingly abstinent human guy with desires and personality that cross over between male and female mental viewpoints (kinda like the cycling described above).

Like I said, gender is complicated, and adopting 'labels' for our desires are really just generalisations. Therefore, I think regardless of what your mental gender, I think we have to go with what your physical gender is - and therefore, I propose the options to be: 'male', 'female', 'something else', 'not disclosed' (all referring to physical gender as a human).

The main reason for the gender tag is to allow people to understand where toys are being put - the needs of a vaginal toy are very different to the needs of an anal toy, and the corresponding viewpoints are also very different. That's what I was trying to get at.

Thanks for all your input so far :p
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy

Return to “General Discussion Archive”