To pricey?

xxxKiyaDentrunxxx

To pricey?

Postby xxxKiyaDentrunxxx » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:47 am

Now, don't get me wrong, I love bad dragons produces and such, and I know they custom make their stuff. But in this economy right now, its hard for anyone to afford something like this. I've always wanted to buy something on here, but $100+ is a little much for me and many other people right now. And right now, I don't have a steady job, I'm living off of food stamps, and only make enough in a month to have maybe $50 left to myself. :cry:

I really want to buy something! But its all just to expensive.. :/ Any chance you guys want to drop the prices a bit? lol And why is this stuff so expensive? Most likely because its all custom made. So can someone tell me something about this?
Willow

Re: To pricey?

Postby Willow » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:56 am

There's also going to be sale (probably) around Halloween. Maybe only 10% off but who knows?

If you're having trouble with money and you're living on food stamps, do you think sex toys should be a high priority?
You can sleep with ablonde,you can sleep withbrunettebut you'll never get any sleep with aredhead.
A wolf in the streets... a fox in the sheets.
TigerPurr

Postby TigerPurr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:01 am

For starters, yes, custom making each order is time consuming and costs money in labor and raw materials.

Also, depending on options (coloration, suction cup, size, cumtubes) the price will change. You're probably better off getting the least amount of options to keep the price down.

Finally, the sad truth is the company is doing well enough that they don't need to drop the prices for the few customers that can't afford it. However, there's hope yet.

It shouldn't be long before BD does their Halloween Sale, if you order a toy in their holiday colors (orange, black, and candycorn I think) then you'll get a discount to your order. There's also a Black Friday sale (black toys get discounts), Christmas (Christmasy colors), New Year (discounts for the sake of discounts, no specific colors required), Valentine's, Easter, St. Patrick's day, and even a Back to School sale they typically do. If you don't mind getting BD specified colors, then order on the holidays, but if you want your own, save up for New Years and Back to School.

It's not easy when your finances don't agree with what you want, but there's plenty of times throughout the year to save up for and make a purchase. If you have a talent that can make you money, feel free to advertise it in your signature and even make a thread with the details. Some people manage their purchases that way.
BlackSheep

Postby BlackSheep » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:11 am

Vastly underestimating the price for them to actually make one?

That's okay, people who don't know often do it. I see it happen to artists a lot too.

Wait for a good sale, adoptions, or get something from the used toys thread.
miss fortune

Postby miss fortune » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:19 am

Everyone has given good advice so far.
If colours aren't important to you then go for the sale colours.
Keep it "basic", no suction cups/cum tubes/custom colours.
Review any toys you do buy, it'll get you a $5 discount which you can save and combine (so two $5 codes become $10).
Sell some things you don't want/need.
Ask if you can get money for your birthday/christmas, I'm known as a "awkward cow" to buy for so get money which I save.
IsisKitsune

Postby IsisKitsune » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:21 am

Main reason it's so expensive?
High grade silicone
Pigments for coloring
Labor (as others have stated)
and unlike some other companies I know of Bad Dragon actually has WORKERS! Like OMG there's more than a person working on it workers. They have to have some sort of profit off this you see, otherwise there would be nothing for company and product expansion.

So yeah you can't even get a 'desent' (read: safe) sex toy for under $50... personally I don't think I'd want a POS one for under that, you know?
Advertise here, only contact on Feb 30th of any year
Solid gold ThingAMaGig for sale $1,000,000
May the all powerful Flying Spaghetti Monster smile upon you
What's a sig for again?
Checklist
Buying, selling and trading toys
Waiting On:
Nothing
HornyUnicorn

Postby HornyUnicorn » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:23 am

This is just my experience, but I've spent just as much money on non customized, crappy jelly toys that have an extremely limited lifespan and are not as body safe as Bad Dragon's silicon toys. (And if you think this stuff is too pricey, visit a brick and mortar adult shop. I try not to have a heart attack everytime I go into one, their prices are much higher than anything you find on the internet).

Think of it this way. You are buying toys from Bad Dragon that with proper care will last years (maybe forever! I'm going to leave mine to my relatives in my will! LOL), toys that you can customize. Of course this is going to cost a little more.

I'll agree, other posters in this thread have offered excellent advice. Save your money, wait for some sales and adoptions, or buy resale from another user.

(And I remember taking an art course in college, where we taught various molding techniques using silicone and resin. OMG silicone isn't cheap!)

And if I were on food stamps, the last thing on my mind would be purchasing new sex toys.
Putting weird objects in her vagina for science!

Owns: alot of toys.

I bought a wiener as big as my arm from Bad Dragon!
SThr

Postby SThr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:49 am

You can find cheap but good silicone toys, you just have to look. I don't understand why the price gap between Bad Dragon and say Tantus is so big. Tantus hand pours all their toys, and no, they don't offer custom colors, but you can't tell me that a custom color costs ~$60. Any ideas?
Toys for Sale: https://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=25120
Sale Feedback: http://09sthr.tumblr.com/post/64049262442/sale-feedback
Ship Internationally & Delete EXIF GPS: http://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21993
IsisKitsune

Postby IsisKitsune » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:51 am

SThr wrote:You can find cheap but good silicone toys, you just have to look. I don't understand why the price gap between Bad Dragon and say Tantus is so big. Tantus hand pours all their toys, and no, they don't offer custom colors, but you can't tell me that a custom color costs ~$60. Any ideas?

Do you get a firmness and extras option with the other company? (Heard of it but never dealt with them)
Advertise here, only contact on Feb 30th of any year
Solid gold ThingAMaGig for sale $1,000,000
May the all powerful Flying Spaghetti Monster smile upon you
What's a sig for again?
Checklist
Buying, selling and trading toys
Waiting On:
Nothing
SThr

Postby SThr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:54 am

IsisKitsune wrote:
SThr wrote:You can find cheap but good silicone toys, you just have to look. I don't understand why the price gap between Bad Dragon and say Tantus is so big. Tantus hand pours all their toys, and no, they don't offer custom colors, but you can't tell me that a custom color costs ~$60. Any ideas?

Do you get a firmness and extras option with the other company? (Heard of it but never dealt with them)

You don't choose a specific firmness per toy, each toy has one firmness. But they also release O2 versions of some toys, which are cored versions. For example, I own a solid silicone Rascal and an O2 Rascal, same toy, different firmness. They also offer 'super soft' versions of some toys.
Last edited by SThr on Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ship Internationally & Delete EXIF GPS: http://forums.bad-dragon.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21993
RomanHyena

Postby RomanHyena » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:05 am

Here is a hint for everyone about why Tantus is able to sell their toys so much cheaper- it is a HUGE company. They sell their toys in sex stores, internationally. I have seen them in both America AND Canada. They have a huge market, so instead of selling maybe a hundred or two hundred toys a month they are selling THOUSANDS.

This means that instead of buying bits of silicone, or even 'lots' like bad dragon, they are buying tons and tons and tons more silicone. They get this at extremely reduced rates for buying it in bulk. The more you buy, the cheaper it is. That is like asking why getting a burger and fries at mcdonalds is like 5 dollars and getting it at an independantly owned place is closer to 15. The larger a company is, the cheaper their products can comparatively become.

And yeah, I also think that my tax dollars would be better spent on health insurance for people who need it, or food for the hungry, rather than sex toys :/
SThr

Postby SThr » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:11 am

I do agree with HyenaGlitter than larger company means lower prices, but I'd also like to point out that all Tantus toys are made at one location in Nevada, and according to LinkedIn, they only have 11-50 employees, BD is listed as having 11-50 also. They're still a relatively small company.
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:25 am

There are ways of getting BD toys for cheaper, and I do really feel where the original poster is coming from on this.

Really, if you're just looking for 'a dildo', BD isn't the best place to get one. There's loads of manufacturers who use good materials and offer good workmanship for good prices, that could really do with your business if you're just in the market for 'something that feels good to put in my butt/vag'. Tantus, for example.

From day one, BD has been about making *fantasy toys*, and charging whatever's necessary to do that (and to ensure we can continue to innovate... for example, our 3D printer and our customizability are things that we've been able to do because we charge what's needed).

BDs getting bigger, and our internal costs are dropping as we get more economy of scale (mostly - some materials have become SIGNIFICANTLY more expensive in the last year), and this in turn means more money is being reinvested to make things even bigger and better. That's the key difference - our goal is to make awesome stuff, plain and simple. :D

With regards the OP's desire to get some stuff cheaper, we do some of our flops at up to 50% off, and Tantus do some great deals on proper silicone toys too. Give them a try! :D
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
RomanHyena

Postby RomanHyena » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:26 pm

SThr wrote:I do agree with HyenaGlitter than larger company means lower prices, but I'd also like to point out that all Tantus toys are made at one location in Nevada, and according to LinkedIn, they only have 11-50 employees, BD is listed as having 11-50 also. They're still a relatively small company.

It doesn't matter how many people are working there- they probably have tens of times as many molds as bad dragon does. It takes a bit to pour the silicone in and wait for it to set and all that, but they have said numerous times getting molds makes things go a HECK of a lot faster. With the volume of toys Tantus is producing, you can be certain they could turn out hundreds of cocks a day.
Menarae

Postby Menarae » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:26 pm

I might just think this because I don't spend a whole heck of a lot of time perusing Tantus's stock options, but for the most part, Tantus toys are around the same size or smaller than BD smalls. That reduces their material costs, and also allows for more space to store the molds. And honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if their flops are tossed into a scrap material bin to be melted down again and reused later, since they use the same pigments for just about everything. No need to worry over custom pigments and whatnot.

And they don't have to spend as much time on each toy, as they don't have to worry about custom options. It's all about pouring, getting the bubbles out, and moving on to the next mold. That reduces their labour costs. So even if they had the same number of molds as BD, they wouldn't need as many staff per day to fill them. They're also not boxing up the orders individually and shipping them out (for the most part...they do recieve orders over their website, too, but the bulk of their business seems to be selling to other shops.) I don't know how they package their toys, whether by hand or machine, but they'll then get crated and likely tossed on a pallet before shipping out. Even though we pay for shipping, BD has to pay their packing and shipping staff to box up the orders, fill out the shipping/customs forms, and hand them off to the shipping company.
"The thing about inspiration is you can't wait for it to come up and lay its head in your lap like a unicorn. That is the myth of inspiration. You have to muster up and hunt it like the wild fey thing it is. It only comes at me when I am racing after it full tilt in the misty moonless darkness, praying I am not running towards the edge of or into the face of a cliff. It takes faith and courage and energy and sheer madness to catch it, and even then, it will kiss you and slip away when the mood takes it because you can never own something that wild and beautiful." -- Isobelle Carmody

Image Image Image Image

My Bad Dragon Checklist
Sukita

Postby Sukita » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:37 pm

I don't think the prices of BD toys are at all unreasonable. In fact, they're pretty comparable to other high quality sex toys; they are by no means the most expensive toys on the market. The thing about sex toys is that they really are luxury items. You don't need them to survive, they serve no purpose but entertainment. If you can't afford things that you need to survive (like food), you probably shouldn't be spending money on luxury items. Unless, of course, you budget and save up over time, which is not at all unreasonable for a luxury item.
BD Toys on Hand: Emerald green Tentacle (5/M), White to purple fade Tentacle (L) adoption, Dark natural highlight Xenogon (5/M), Coal black Sea Dragon (8/S), Sunset gold to bright crimson shimmer fade Xenogon (8/M), Sparkly White Breeder (5/M), Whore Red Sea Dragon (5/S), Mother-of-Pearl marbled Tentacle (5/L), Surprise Me Cockatrice (5/S), Bright shimmery gold with pearly highlight Cockatrice (3/S), Grey with green shimmer to black with green shimmer fade Duke (5/M), Rich violet shimmer Xenogon (5/L), fleshy pink (with gold pearlesence) and white (with blue pearlesence) marbled shaft, grey (with purple pearlesence) base Moko (5/S). On order: Dark natural Moko (5/M)
PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT ME ABOUT BUYING TOYS THAT ARE NOT FOR SALE.
My BD toy reviews . Image . Image . Image . Image
Michael

Postby Michael » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:58 am

xxxKiyaDentrunxxx wrote:Now, don't get me wrong, I love bad dragons produces and such, and I know they custom make their stuff. But in this economy right now, its hard for anyone to afford something like this. I've always wanted to buy something on here, but $100+ is a little much for me and many other people right now. And right now, I don't have a steady job, I'm living off of food stamps, and only make enough in a month to have maybe $50 left to myself. :cry:

I really want to buy something! But its all just to expensive.. :/ Any chance you guys want to drop the prices a bit? lol And why is this stuff so expensive? Most likely because its all custom made. So can someone tell me something about this?

It's all about economics, specifically supply and demand. Bad Dragon is only able to supply a certain number of cocks in a certain time frame, therefore people who want the product will be willing to pay a higher price to get one of that certain number. Bad Dragon is currently selling all the toys it produces as fast as they are produced so it has absolutely no reason to lower prices. The only way they would lower prices is if the demand for toys drops off. I could go on and on about the specifics of the matter, but I have a feeling you don't particularly want to hear them.

:words:
If you want a Bad Dragon toy you are just going to have to save up to buy one, complaining about prices isn't going to get you anywhere. If you aren't willing to buy a Bad Dragon toy at the price it is being offered at take your business elsewhere. If enough people do that, prices will go down. ECON 101.
Wonderful avatar provided by Airless!
Nemekh

Postby Nemekh » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 am

Ho hum, page limit on how many posts you can split at a time. Must extend!

Anyways, I have split and put into internal the posts going back and forth on the merits of food stamp use. If you wish to discuss it further please do so in the debate subforum.

Thanks!
Your resident Gold
Varka
Bad Dragon CEO

Postby Varka » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:34 am

Just for future reference, no, we have no intention of starting to accept food stamps as a payment option for BD toys :D
Varka - Bad Dragon CEO

"We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard." - John F Kennedy
MidnightStorm

Postby MidnightStorm » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:59 am

I think one thing a lot of people don't consider is a sort of "how long does it take to make vs. how much I should be making an hour to make a decent living" ratio. It's not really something I had ever considered before I started taking art commissions and such, at least.

For example: Let's say that I charge $30 for a full color picture. I'm a perfectionist and use traditional media, and it takes me between 8-10 hours to finish a piece. That means that, for something I worked virtually all day on, I'm making a whopping $3.33 an hour. There's NO WAY I could make a living off of that! D: ( And I don't. XD )

Now let's look at BD toys. I have no idea how long it takes for BD to finish a toy, but let's just hypothetically say they can finish 2 toys in a day. Call each toy $110 (give or take, again). If it takes them 8 hours to completely finish two toys and they make 80% profit off of them, then that means that if there are 5 people that need to be paid then that means that each of those five people is only making $4.40 an hour. Now, obviously, BD probably produces more toys than that, so their staff members are making a more reasonable amount of money. It certainly explains the prices, though! IF there are ten people, that's even less.

Obviously, those numbers are WAY off, but I think that it's something most people don't consider at all. People complain about prices and don't consider all of those factors in at all, often enough.

As with other people, I also agree that well, to be blunt, sex toys are a luxury item. Computers, Cell Phones, WoW Subscriptions, Video Games, and even Laundry Machines are ALL expensive. And they're all things people can get by without if they can't afford it ( laundry machines -> laundromat ). In the case of Bad Dragon... They're unique, fantastic, high quality items. If you truly don't have the money and want to save up, then save up. If you just want something to have sex with though, shop Amazon or Craigslist.

I mean, I had an income of $20 a week when I was younger. I saved up every penny I was given or I found for two and a half years to buy a $750 doll. Yuhp, $750. XD I didn't complain about the price because she was beautiful and worth it.

BD toys are the same way, I think. <3
Own: Large Karabos, Medium Fusion, Medium Cockatrice, Anthro Husky
Waiting On: Medium Breeder (MQ 11/30)

Return to “General Discussion Archive”